OS X 10.7 Lion

Just out of interest, I've noticed on some forums people talking about being able to see how long its going to take to download. I just started mine from the App Store, and all I've got is a Lion icon with a tiny bar moving incredibly slowly, no indication of time remaining?

I had the same. My download took about 3 hours. Only to be expected considering how many people must be downloading it :)

dont know how true this is but canon told us they didnt ever receive a pre-release copy of SL to develop drivers for when that was released so there was a month or so delay in getting some printers sorted. dont know if lion will be the same.

like i say i dont know if that was a fob-off but there shouldnt be any reason why current software wont be patched fairly quick, i wouldnt expect miracles on older versions though.

Well I've been running lion on my macbook since the very first beta. Unless Canon have elected not to spend the 100 or so dollars to become a registered developer, it's difficult to see how they would not have had a pre-release copy of Lion to work with this time.

Oh and I'm waiting before updating my main Mac by the way - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just out of interest, I've noticed on some forums people talking about being able to see how long its going to take to download. I just started mine from the App Store, and all I've got is a Lion icon with a tiny bar moving incredibly slowly, no indication of time remaining?

I didn't get a time indication for the download but is was fairly quick n my 50 mbit connection.

I did get a time indicator for the install though -32 minutes.

Well I've been running lion on my macbook since the very first beta. Unless Canon have elected not to spend the 100 or so dollars to become a registered developer, it's difficult to see how they would not have had a pre-release copy of Lion to work with this time.

Oh and I'm waiting before updating my main Mac by the way - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

yup, like i say it may not have been true it may have been a fob off. however they certainly did not have the printer drivers available at the time of release.

You can see the download status in the purchased section of the MAS.

I downloaded it as soon as it was released, took me about 20mins on my 90Mbps connection :D

Would I be able to buy Lion on my iMac, log into my app store account on my wife's Macbook then upgrade her to Lion then log out and she can log back in again and continue as normal? (I only have 2 authorised computers on itunes so far, if that makes a difference).

Joe

Don't like the swipe pad now. Swipe up to go down a page???? Any ideas how I can make it be a swipe down to go down a page?

Don't like the swipe pad now. Swipe up to go down a page???? Any ideas how I can make it be a swipe down to go down a page?

Preferences | Trackpad. Untick "When using gestures to scroll or navigate..." right at the very top. You are then back to normal.

Would I be able to buy Lion on my iMac, log into my app store account on my wife's Macbook then upgrade her to Lion then log out and she can log back in again and continue as normal? (I only have 2 authorised computers on itunes so far, if that makes a difference).

Joe

Yes, that should should work fine. Or follow the steps earlier in this thread to create a bootable DVD to do the install from and have an emergency disk in case you need to reload at any time without waiting for the download.

It SHOULD work with a BT one but on occasion I have sat there whilst the machine has rebooted 3-4 times and not picked up that I am pressing a key. Then stuck the wired one on and it's worked, just keep it for emergencies.

Another way you could do it is to start your machine up as normal, insert the dvd / flash drive / or whatever and then in System Preferences click on Startup Disk, select the one you want and then restart.

I found it a bit odd for the first 10 minutes but once I got it into my head it works the same as my iPhone then it became natural.

Anyone having issues with wireless reconnecting after resuming from sleep - seeing it on a 2010 MBP 17"?

Managed to do the clean install from the USB flash boot drive I created. Needed to use a wired keyboard. Formatted the drive and install was around 20 mins.

I've got it on my test mac, going to hold off installing it on my main mac for a few weeks to make sure everything is OK.

The new scrolling is annoying, that got switched straight off. Launchpad is great, much better than the stacks before it. Mission control is great.

Mail seems to have forgotten all my passwords and isn't liking them being entered in the pop ups. Now that I've entered the passwords mail seems fine.

I downloaded, created a boot DVD and installed yesterday. The price of £21 seems incredible for the security aspects of the new OS - but I have not yet found anything visible that makes me pleased I spent the money. Mail is going to take me some time to get used to and I fail to see the point of Launchpad.

Not found any PPC apps that were essential and my scanner, a Canon Lide 25 (the only bit I was concerned about) works fine.

I guess I'm going to have to go get another Trackpad!

What bits and tips have you found make an improvement to your life?

I'm downloading, feel a bit nervous about it, hope it works. Did a backup before and removed my externals just in case.

I'm loving it, the new gestures are good, full screen is great, I just need to arrange my apps now for launch pad..

Last edited:
Now that I've set up a keyboard shortcut and spent a little while arranging my apps, Launchpad is looking a bit more useful than I first thought it would be.

I was going to try running with Launchpad and no dock for a while but I can't find a way of turning the dock off :shrug:

I was going to try running with Launchpad and no dock for a while but I can't find a way of turning the dock off :shrug:

I don't think you can turn off the dock, but you can of course set it to hidden (where it does't appear unless you put your mouse pointer right at the bottom of the screen)

I've tried that Cedders, but annoyingly it pops up as soon as you enter Launchpad, which seems a bit silly really. To my mind you should be able to run with one or the other :shrug:
It's only a little niggle though really. Otherwise I'm liking Lion so far :)

Well Launchpad is part of the dock process so you can't have one without the other.

Safari seems a lot faster, mail will take some getting used to. Always feel a bit let down as nothing really exciting to play with but guess its all behind the scenes.

Joe

Absolutely, although I would just put the Install Mac OSX Lion.app file on a network drive or even portable drive. I downloaded it on the MBA first, then copied the file to my network, then used that for the iMac and the MBP. And now also my HackinPro (home built i7-2600K special). All absolutely fine.

Amazingly smooth upgrade.

I have it on a second partition for now as I only have one Mac that runs it at the moment.

Good points.
Full screen apps
Versions/autosave
Gestures - yes even the 'upside down' scrolling in Safari
Mission Control - as a heavy spaces user this is a key feature for me
General snappiness - impressive on my late 2006 iMac with only 3gb ram
Launchpad - thought I'd not want to use it, but find it useful for the occasionally used app

Bad points
Active Directory network accounts login issues
Occasional WiFi drop out

Given the AD login issue I'll be sticking with Snow Leopard for a while, but overall a good launch.

Found a small bug. IN full screen safari, when you open a new tab it will not close down straight away, you have to click on another tab then back onto it and only then does the cross appear to let you close that tab.

Nothing deal breaking but a small annoyance that will no doubt be fixed in the first update.

I just tried this but was unable to duplicate your issue.

Tired opening up several tabs and managed to close all without issues. I have a 2009 3.06 iMac - maybe the hardware makes a difference?

Back