OS X 10.7 Lion

Me but I think I will read what's the best way to copy the install file and then boot from that so I have a clean install of lion only.

I use the on-one suite within photoshop, it has awful compatibility issues when snow leopard launched and they've already announced that it WILL crash on lion until the get a patch out. So i'll be holding off for a while I think.

TBH, the only thing I really want is airdrop so I can move image files between machines without using usb sticks.

Holding off, use Nik and onOne and both have advised of issues.

Steve

dunno, but was going to hold off a couple of weeks until some real world users report

Migration tool also updated the other day - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1420 (for people who dont have it yet)

I've had the GM on a dvd for a week or two, not been in any hurry to try so I guess I'll just wait until I get it from appstore as and when that'll be.

Well it's now today, so where is it?

If the word on the street is true it's released at 8.30am Eastern Time today, so that's 1.30pm in the UK :)

TBH if I had to pay £21 for it I wouldn't be that bothered, but as I've only just got my MBP I get Lion for nout, and AFAIK there's nothing I run that will have problems with Lion.

I like it so far, even with all the new animations and transitional effects it's much faster than Snow Leopard.

Me but I think I will read what's the best way to copy the install file and then boot from that so I have a clean install of lion only.

1. Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.
2. Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”
3. Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.
4. Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.
5. Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.
6. Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc to come out toasty hot.

Early yet I know but anyone having issues with elements 9, lightroom or cs?

adobe have published that if you use droplets you'll need to recreate with build 12.0.1 or later of CS5. DRoplets created with anything earlier won't work

1. Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.
2. Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”
3. Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.
4. Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.
5. Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.
6. Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc to come out toasty hot.

If I do this will I not need to buy Snow Leopard then?

I am running Leopard on my macbook and if I don't have to buy it it would be great!

Last edited:
I think Apple are only distributing this via the app store, so you'll need snow leopard for that. They must be planning other distribution channels but what options they'll be for this who knows

I think Apple are only distributing this via the app store, so you'll need snow leopard for that. They must be planning other distribution channels but what options they'll be for this who knows

They are releasing a USB stick next month with it on, although it'll likely cost around £45.

Downloading it now :)

I'm sure i read somewhere that apple eu were honouring the same terms John

2blue4u said:
:(

I bought a new macbook two weeks ago.

Clearly you are looking at the US site, because the offer is valid here - I installed lion 5 hours ago from the Mac App Store

Yeah I like it but MacBook pro fans still sound like a Boeing 747 powering up for takeoff lol

I'm sure i read somewhere that apple eu were honouring the same terms John

Clearly you are looking at the US site, because the offer is valid here - I installed lion 5 hours ago from the Mac App Store

I guessed that would/should be the case.

I arrived at that quote after using the Apple UK bookmark on my link bar :thinking:

Anyhows - downloading a free upgrade version on the MacBook at the mo. Does anyone know if I'll be able to use a DVD made from this download on other macs?

I have just installed and it seems quite good. Nice smooth install with no issues and for £21 it does seem like a bit of a bargain. Just cannot quite get use to the fact they have changed the back / forward gestures in Safari and that the scroll is reversed when you install. Love the full screen though.

I have just installed and it seems quite good. Nice smooth install with no issues and for £21 it does seem like a bit of a bargain. Just cannot quite get use to the fact they have changed the back / forward gestures in Safari and that the scroll is reversed when you install. Love the full screen though.

That impressed me too, considering how many people worldwide are downloading it today my download and installation was faultless. I am so surprised but they seem (so far) to be pulling this off without a hitch.

Installing now, 24 mins remaining :)

What is the biggest surprise for me is that they are selling MacOS Lion SERVER for £35 !!!!

Back