OS X 10.7 Lion

ding76uk said:
Try opening two new tabs, might do it, or it might just be an issue with mine?

Few bugs out there seem to affect some more than others.

I've had no issues with tabs in full screen either.

Well I've actually got round to sticking it on one of my machines. The only thing I noticed so far was that it broke Little Snitch which needed re-installing (no real issues with that). Nothing much more to say yet but I do like Mail's grouping of messages.

I will be turning the installation into Lion Server on Thursday evening and will report my findings then. £55 in total for a full server operating system is just great!

If anyone is running True Crypt, I found it won't decrypt your files until you upgrade to the lastest version and also update Mac Fuse.

Has anyone else found that, if you have to dock set to auto hide, it seems to get "stuck" as visible until you cursor over it again?

I couldnt go through the route of entering your serial number as it wouldnt accept it, possibly due to it being a refurb unit.

Had to do it through the part below in the link that says... "If you cannot submit an order through the Apple Online Store, follow this link to participate in the programme."

I tentatively ask, keeping my fingers crossed, does installing Lion after downloading completely wipe the Mac? I ask because I'm presented with a set of options including restore from time machine, but no install...I'm feeling an inseency bit worried.....

lawrenceots said:
I tentatively ask, keeping my fingers crossed, does installing Lion after downloading completely wipe the Mac? I ask because I'm presented with a set of options including restore from time machine, but no install...I'm feeling an inseency bit worried.....

Nope it doesn't wipe it :) it's a 33 minute install once downloaded.

What make of NAS is it? AFP has been changed to make it more secure, without backwards compatibility.

There's an Apple knowledge bad article on this & plenty of info on support pages.

Western Digital mybook world. Known issue apparently, now just waiting on a fix

Not had chance to have much of a play yet as I've been working but stuck another 4Tb of storage into the Mac pro yesterday and I'm just reorganising it all now. I've installed Lion server so I'll need to work out how to set that up next but it take a while to copy about 400K-500K of files about... Seems like it is finished now though. I am holding off installing it on my main machine as I need to make sure it works properly with several pieces of software first.

To anybody who's having trouble with NAS access, the quickest solution that I've found is to disable AFP on the NAS box, and then access it through the SMB protocol.

I have an ancient LaCie NAS box, and AFP under 10.6 never played nicely with it, so I've been using this workaround since way before Lion.

I've yet to get most of the server functionality working :bonk:

cowasaki said:

Judging from reports on apple sites I'll be sticking with Snow Leopard Server for a while. It is used as our work file, web, software update and backup server though so I'd have to be completely insane to switch without having a backup server to use if/when it all went wrong.

Last edited:
Judging from reports on apple sites I'll be sticking with Snow Leopard Server for a while. It is used as our work file, web, software update and backup server though so I'd have to be completely insane to switch without having a backup server to use if/when it all went wrong.

I had Tiger Server but not Leopard or Snow Leopard due to the cost. I had actually switched to Linux running on a proliant server which I still have running at the moment. I bought Lion Server due to the VASTLY reduced price ie £35 on top of the Lion OS price. There were options in the previous servers which seem to have disappeared like an update server etc.

I am currently trying to work out how to get VPN to work - I have NEVER managed this before!!

Then the address book server!

The only niggle I've noticed is that on starting up my mac and restoring the previous apps that were running, the system seems to ignore the spaces that i've set up. For example; I run 3 desktops, 1 is the desktop i primarily use for anything not in the other 2, 2 is for iTunes and Mail and 3 for Microsoft Office applications and Preview. On startup the word documents I had been using all open in desktop 1 rather than 3 and require me to move them over each time. Like I say, only a small niggle and only takes a couple of seconds to resolve but it is irritating.

The only niggle I've noticed is that on starting up my mac and restoring the previous apps that were running, the system seems to ignore the spaces that i've set up. For example; I run 3 desktops, 1 is the desktop i primarily use for anything not in the other 2, 2 is for iTunes and Mail and 3 for Microsoft Office applications and Preview. On startup the word documents I had been using all open in desktop 1 rather than 3 and require me to move them over each time. Like I say, only a small niggle and only takes a couple of seconds to resolve but it is irritating.

You can lock applications to certain desktops still:

http://www.909apps.com/2011/07/osx-lion-what-happened-to-spaces/

Hmm, mine seems to have remembered which program is assigned to which space. I do similar, Space 1 is for surfing, space 2, for mail and pages, space 3 for music, space 4 for photography.

Well I'm installing it on my MBP now, in fact I am replying on the computer whilst it installs. At least I know the software I use all works.

Does anyone know how to re-enable the 3 finger right-to-left swipe to go back in applications like chrome?

How's it going? I've got a "junktop" (water damaged MacBook pro, with blown internal video, but works with external video), and I was thinking of having a play with the server on that.

I've heard that Lion server is considerably dumbed down from previous versions, and it appears that Apple are now aiming what few server products they now have fairly and squarely at the home/very small business market.

Having spent more time with it the same problem is true of all Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) but it hasn't effected any other applications starting up to the correct desktop/space. I guess it's just Microsoft not quite playing ball with the new OS.

I am probably going to upgrade. Will the memory use go up? I am really struggling with 4GB on MBP 3,1 snow leopard. I know it is a memory issue. Can I have more memory?

No, 4Gb is your maximum....

4,1 can take 6Gb

after that it is 8 or 16

Ignore Apple's stated figures

I am probably going to upgrade. Will the memory use go up? I am really struggling with 4GB on MBP 3,1 snow leopard. I know it is a memory issue. Can I have more memory?

No, 4Gb is your maximum....

4,1 can take 6Gb

after that it is 8 or 16

Ignore Apple's stated figures

According to everymac the 3,1 can also take 6GB of RAM. Now whilst RAM maybe an issue, I think that it seems worse because of very slow IO elsewhere . An SSD is a better upgrade imo, I only used the 6Gb if I was running virtual machines at the same time. And my MBA can only have 4Gb and is fine...

Your choice, why not do both :)

According to everymac the 3,1 can also take 6GB of RAM. Now whilst RAM maybe an issue, I think that it seems worse because of very slow IO elsewhere . An SSD is a better upgrade imo, I only used the 6Gb if I was running virtual machines at the same time. And my MBA can only have 4Gb and is fine...

Your choice, why not do both :)

I'd love an SSD, just a bit concerned it would be a false economy to get one and then end up buying a new MBP shortly after - 1 year or so.

My problem is Lightroom. If I do some heavy editing it will easily go over 2GB RAM use, while the system uses another 2gb. Will the memory load increase in Lion?

I wouldn't take much notice of the system using 2GB as it won't really be doing that. I just looked at my machine, single browser window open, handbrake and mail and mine has used 6GB.

The key indicator is the page outs, that is what the system is swapping to disc and is what will be slowing down the system. For example mine is only 628Kb (yup kbs).

SSD wouldn't be false economy if you then move it to your new MBP :)

Back