Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

The trouble is they feel untouchable, i like watching the road wars type of documentary

A typical scenario, some yob breaks into a house steals the car keys then the car, gets involved in a high speed car chase through built-up areas, crash into cars as they go past, get caught and and then shout get that feking camera out of my face i dont want filming and i have my human rights.

Well sunbeam as far as ime concerned you threw your rights away when you broke into the house and it was downhill for you from then.

Pleased to see Boris out of ICU
Best news of the week(y)

GC

I too am pleased to hear he is out of ICU...... .but on QT running right now the minister Brandon Lewis said along lines of "his leaving ICU proves his fighting was working........" I find that comment was like a party line as first said by Dominic Raab about BJ being a fighter so he will recover!

So, those that sadly died didn't fight (hard enough)???

It is fortunate that BJ was not on intubated ventilation because it seems that all too many on ventilation do die?

Understandably so, the NHS will not and should not publish the granular figures as to ventilated patients who recover in relation to the numbers that do not and equally so how many like BJ who start on CPAP assistance but then require ventilation.....and what their survival ratio is like?

Lastly, and not withstanding that BJ is PM how many on CPAP are placed in ICU routinely as "a precaution".

Last edited:
So, those that sadly died didn't fight (hard enough)???

It is fortunate that BJ was not on intubated ventilation because it seems that all too many on ventilation do die?

I think it's already been said that firghting for life is a common phrase used when people are seriously ill, never heard the phrase Fight Against Cancer ?

I don't think you can blame ventilators for killing people, those that need them
have breathing problems, from what I have read this virus attacks the lungs

I don't think you can blame ventilators for killing people, those that need them

It does and they only ventilate patients when oxygen via mask isn't enough. As you say you can't blame the ventilator.

Lastly, and not withstanding that BJ is PM how many on CPAP are placed in ICU routinely as "a precaution".

To my knowledge a patient on CPAP will be in ICU as a necessary rather than a precaution as they will be in an induced coma for the entire period of CPAP. BJ was not on a ventilator, just on oxygen and more than likely mask fed rather the via nostril tube. He wasn't ventilated as he wasn't ill enough to need it.

I think it's already been said that firghting for life is a common phrase used when people are seriously ill, never heard the phrase Fight Against Cancer ?

I have of course heard the expression, especially in regard to cancer.....having had some people close to me who died from/with cancer!

I was not blaming the deaths on the use of a ventilator.....to the contrary, without ventilation the potential for an early(ier) death is no doubt high. The ventilator is oh so important in aiding oxygenation when either infection such as Covid19 or traumatic injury means the patient cannot breath well enough to overcome what is going infection/trauma wise threatening their survival.

However, it seems that in the case of Covid19 ventilation is an "end game option" and is why I said ".........all too many die on ventilation" and I surmise that in hospital (i.e. excluding non hospitalised locations) in the patient is on CPAP and then becomes critical they are transferred (hopefully in time & if a ventilator is available?) to ICU.

I know we will not be in the EU in 2021 but they are saying it looks like us old gits may not get out until 2021

I know we will not be in the EU in 2021 but they are saying it looks like us old gits may not get out until 2021
They're talking maybe 18 months to a vaccine and potential safety!

They're talking maybe 18 months to a vaccine and potential safety!

I wouldn't be hugely surprised.

If you look at some of the history of the 1918/19 outbreak then the disease was far more devastating in its second round of contagion than its first.

Yes circumstances are very different now - but that is the boggie lurking in the corner.

My stepdaughter is doing our shopping and as we dont do internet banking she said pay me when you can start doing your own shopping, 2021 may make her rethink that.

From the BBC news

The Financial Times has seen a chart which has been circulated to clinicians - which will ask them to "score" thousands of patients to decide who is suitable for intensive care treatment. The categories used to judge people are reportedly someone's age, frailty and if they have any underlying conditions. The paper says that although clinical discretion could come into play - any patient over the age of 70 will be considered "borderline" for treatment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-52265663

I guess the many thousands of criminals and drug dealers/addicts need first call on treatment

Had an email from Tesco today saying that have been put on the list for priority delivery slots. Slots not guaranteed - so still have to stay up half the night trying to grab one I suppose :)

Had an email from Tesco today saying that have been put on the list for priority delivery slots. Slots not guaranteed - so still have to stay up half the night trying to grab one I suppose :)
Bit of a joke!
If you are part of the 1.5 million, shouldn't you be getting deliveries by the military, volunteers or something ... or did I dream that part?

A van has just pulled up next door -'Emergency iPhone Repairs' and two blokes have gone in. There are four adults living there (couple with two adult children) and I can guarantee all of them have top notch iphones, I'm sure they could have done without one given the circumstances. Makes you wonder what people's priorities are!!!

From the BBC news

The Financial Times has seen a chart which has been circulated to clinicians - which will ask them to "score" thousands of patients to decide who is suitable for intensive care treatment. The categories used to judge people are reportedly someone's age, frailty and if they have any underlying conditions. The paper says that although clinical discretion could come into play - any patient over the age of 70 will be considered "borderline" for treatment.

That happens every day in NHS A&E departments. It is called triage.

I guess the many thousands of criminals and drug dealers/addicts need first call on treatment

I'm failing to see any relevance to that comment at all.

A van has just pulled up next door -'Emergency iPhone Repairs' and two blokes have gone in. There are four adults living there (couple with two adult children) and I can guarantee all of them have top notch iphones, I'm sure they could have done without one given the circumstances. Makes you wonder what people's priorities are!!!

iPhone, iPad, 50" TV, American style fridge etc........................must haves to beat the Jones' ~ bugger paying the rent/mortgage or food on the table...........can always get UC and other benefits.......we must have what we want, when we want it now???

/[rant mode off] :LOL:

PS as for two blokes turning up to repair handheld devices, especially under Covid19 conditions, what the heck is that company doing to control possible risk of infection transmission!!!!

That happens every day in NHS A&E departments. It is called triage.

I'm failing to see any relevance to that comment at all.

Should be easy to understand, I object to the possibility a rapist or child molester to name but two types standing the chance of getting preferential treatment over older folk just because they are younger.

Should be easy to understand, I object to the possibility a rapist or child molester to name but two types standing the chance of getting preferential treatment over older folk just because they are younger.
Whilst I agree in principle do we really want Nurses and Doctors making judgement calls like that, based on what evidence that they would have at hand and it being 100% reliable?

In the year 2274, young residents enjoy an idyllic, hedonistic lifestyle within the protective confines of a domed city.

Logan's Run ... come early. :)

Tough. That's not how things work.

The priority is to save lives, not make moral judgements about the sort of people being saved,

What can you say

kk.JPG

Over 100 fines have been dished out in NI over Easter weekend, parties, BBQ gatherings, parents allowing kids play together out on the streets etc ...

I realise it must be tricky for those with smaller children, especially with this weather, but better have them bored than dead.

Went to my GP this morning to have my three monthly Zoladex injection. Put the nurse at ease by saying that this was my first time out for a month. She then told me that her husband had had it but was now back at work (engineer in local hospital) but she and the children hadn't shown any signs yet. Then said "It's a horrible thing, you can have it without even realising it". Resisted the temptation to do a runner! :)

Went to my GP this morning to have my three monthly Zoladex injection. Put the nurse at ease by saying that this was my first time out for a month. She then told me that her husband had had it but was now back at work (engineer in local hospital) but she and the children hadn't shown any signs yet. Then said "It's a horrible thing, you can have it without even realising it". Resisted the temptation to do a runner! :)

I had to go to the hospital yesterday and really didn't like being there!
Well controlled environment but consistently aware of people around me and watching who was and who wasn't taking care ... and avoiding! Had my own high quality mask and did plenty of hand-washing and used copious amounts of the hand sanitiser provided during the 3 hours I was there.
Hoping I won't need to return!

I had to go to the hospital yesterday and really didn't like being there!
Well controlled environment but consistently aware of people around me and watching who was and who wasn't taking care ... and avoiding! Had my own high quality mask and did plenty of hand-washing and used copious amounts of the hand sanitiser provided during the 3 hours I was there.
Hoping I won't need to return!

There was usually plenty of hand sanitiser in the hospital I worked in except for A&E waiting room where there was none. They wouldn't put any out as the regular drunks would only drink it before settling down for the night..

There was usually plenty of hand sanitiser in the hospital I worked in except for A&E waiting room where there was none. They wouldn't put any out as the regular drunks would only drink it before settling down for the night..

Been the same here in the city for a long time, :beer: however it's now freely available.
I was surprised to see it on the outside of main entrance doors to the main hospital though ... then I spotted two Hospital Security guys!

I wore disposable protective gloves when I went to the GP this morning. Put them on when I got out of the car and removed them (carefully and inside out) before unlocking the car afterwards.

Fox came again today ... heard a noise and a cat tore up the steps and across the garden followed by the fox.
Don't know whether the fox wanted to play with it, mate with it or kill it!
The cat took refuge in part of the hedge and the fox was still trying to get at it ... eventually the fox came back down the garden alone.

Remembered that I had my as yet unused Apeman Trailcam so decided to put it our last night for its first observation.
I left out a tinof dog food donated by my neighbour to see what footage I could get of the fox ... had a surprise in our city garden!

Need to adjust the placement now! :LOL:

Last edited:
Wow how lucky you are, I get the fox and hedgehogs, occasional cat and a couple of times a springer spaniel :rolleyes:

Wow how lucky you are, I get the fox and hedgehogs, occasional cat and a couple of times a springer spaniel :rolleyes:

It answers the question as to what has been digging trenches on our back 'lawn'!
I considered a Badger but discounted it because of our location and blamed the fox ... last night's trench is a give away.

Regarding placement, I have a monopod I rarely use so I screw the camera onto it, bury the end in a pre made hole and tie if to
the hedge, which gives a good view.
If I want a lower view, a large spring water bottle filled with something heavy, strap the camera to it and hide it in the shrubs/flowers etc. gives a lovely low view
Just be aware, it gets addictive :D

Back