Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

As for NPCC guidance not being public health advice, I am keeping more the 2 mtrs away from others in an area well within 10 mins travel from home. I'm safer there than exercising locally and I believe that is a reasonable excuse for my short travel and considering I have self isolated a lot more than most and for longer than most I think that the occasional travel is well within the government guidance.

That is of course your judgement, personally, as I have said on here before, I don't support a total ban on people driving from home for exercise (or a hard and fast rule of only being allowed out for an hour), because for some this may not be a sensible, safe, or realistic approach. Government guidance has also emphasised the need for exercise and getting outside, as it has tried to encompass multiple aspects of our health.

But that doesn't contradict the points I made in my post.

Edit: after now been out for my walk, I think I maybe misinterpreted the point you were making, and in fact what you were just confirming that you were still following Government guidance. Sorry.

Last edited:
You may think things are bad but listen to the Mayor of Las-Vegas, sorry to say it but the callous bitch wants shooting or educating.

At 71 years old i have never taken vitamin pills of any sort, i live in a house with a back garden that is in the shade most of the day and a short front garden which is open to allow two car parking spaces.
Before the isolation thing started i would have been out most days, now i haven't been out for nearly 5 weeks i decided to follow this advice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52371688

At 71 years old i have never taken vitamin pills of any sort, i live in a house with a back garden that is in the shade most of the day and a short front garden which is open to allow two car parking spaces.
Before the isolation thing started i would have been out most days, now i haven't been out for nearly 5 weeks i decided to follow this advice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52371688

No need to worry about having to stay in for much longer, Mr Trump has hit on a potential solution ... inject us all with disinfectant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52407177

Chump (Trump) is talking total cr*p as usual.

I must admit that when I heard his disinfectant injection idea it gave me a real shiver down my spine, it had a touch of Dr.Mengele about it!

I thought of exactly the same person when I read about the disinfectant idea

I think Trump is right about injecting disinfectant, so much so I just did it...half a pint of Dettol. s*** it stung at frst..th bevff ssssss ndhdbfbfhfnr

It's supposed to be administered as an enema, using Tiger Balm to "ease the way"...

It's supposed to be administered as an enema, using Tiger Balm to "ease the way"...

No, that's the 2 cell MagaLite, used to provide light inside the body...

Reactions: Nod
Needs to be mixed with coffee to be really effective.

Social distancing might be more effective if the health service didn't tell people with suspected covid19 to "get a lift" to a test centre for a test if they dont drive, and worse if they are really ill with the virus (clot on the lung) to get a lift to hospital. How is sitting 12 inchs from someone in a car safe. It's bonkers
Before you say it's rubbish I just got off the phone with the person who needs to go to hospital, and I know the driver who took the person to the test.

Social distancing might be more effective if the health service didn't tell people with suspected covid19 to "get a lift" to a test centre for a test if they dont drive, and worse if they are really ill with the virus (clot on the lung) to get a lift to hospital. How is sitting 12 inchs from someone in a car safe. It's bonkers
Before you say it's rubbish I just got off the phone with the person who needs to go to hospital, and I know the driver who took the person to the test.

It's certainly not ideal , but at worst they sit in the back, on the opposite side to the driver, and both wear masks and gloves for the journey - a slightly better solution would be a people carrier but obviously they need to know someone who drives one.

Put them in the boot or top box :)

Does seem strange advice, bit like when you ring up to report an internet fault and the message says you can look online

Last edited:
Or on a trailor - I mean it probably wouldn't even look odd the way things are atm

Probably right, some bloke went to get some windows with his missus in the car, didn't all fit so stuck her in the boot.
Old bill nabbed him, think they were more concerned with the excessive journey of 280 miles round trip

It's certainly not ideal , but at worst they sit in the back, on the opposite side to the driver, and both wear masks and gloves for the journey - a slightly better solution would be a people carrier but obviously they need to know someone who drives one.
Have you tried getting in the back of an Audi TT? I have a job getting in the front... ;)

Its been nearly five weeks since I spoke to anyone apart from my wife, how awful must it be for people living alone.

Lockdown with a partner a soppy question for you, how often do you tell them you love them

Ha no, I've been in the passenger seat in one, old boss used to have one. Definitely not the ideal car for this situation
Actually if getting in is bad wait till you try getting out at my age, it took me a shoehorn and a tub of butter... Sadly I can't see my buying one anytime soon (nice car though).

Its been nearly five weeks since I spoke to anyone apart from my wife, how awful must it be for people living alone.

Lockdown with a partner a soppy question for you, how often do you tell them you love them
I'd be guessing and say some tell their partner every day, others when they want something. A mate thinks the birth rate will go up around Christmas/new year due to lots of bored people passing the time... errrr , well you know. They probably say it after... I'll get my coat..

Reactions: nog

I live on an over 50s complex, flats and houses, most of the residents are over 70, think there are only 4 of us under, many are in their 80s and 90s. Many of them live on their own
We are lucky enough to have communal gardens that we are supposed to all be able to use, great asset for those that are on their own and can come out in the sun to interact with others at the safe distance.
Yesterday on of the residents had her family over, not a problem as such if they sat on the small patio to chat, but no, grandchildren running riot taking over the large area for most of the afternoon preventing others from using the area, not realsing that for some it's the only time they get to mix with people.
I do know that the visitors have a house with garden not far away, surely better to use their premises, and granny visit them

Last edited:
We are quite fortunate, we have family locally who do the shopping for us and keep in touch regularly and a neighbour who chats over the hedge and regularly asks if we need anything. We also have a circle of friends from our church of around 100. We have services twice a week over Zoom and options afterward where we split off ito sub-groups for a bit of chit-chat and generally keep in touch. I very much miss being out and about though and have put on a few lbs despite using my bike trainer, doing a bit of hedge removal out the front and regular exercise on the stairs.
I see the Royal Volunteer Service has an arrangement for calling to speak with those who are alone and need someone to keep in touch.
On the other hand I feel really sorry for families in high rise flats and emergency accommodation, the stress must be enormous!
Not nearly enough but I hope that my actions sometimes speak louder than words. :)

Have you tried getting in the back of an Audi TT? I have a job getting in the front... ;)

About 15 years ago, I managed to get into a Lotus Elise hardtop with a little dignity left intact. Having to literally roll out of it sideways put me off the idea of buying one! However, I can get in and out of Mrs Nod's MX-5 without looking like too much of an old fart, even with the hardtop raised. A couple of years before the Lotus debacle, I managed to get into an F2 cockpit but my rather more ample than its normal occupant's arse left me wedged quite firmly. Not quite wedged firmly enough to need a forklift to get me out but it was close!

Frequently - every time I want something and am too lazy to do it myself!!! (Not true - I say it when I don't want anything too.)

As the owner of a TTS, there is plenty of room for an old un, simply fold the seats down and chuck them in the boot.

As the owner of a TTS, there is plenty of room for an old un, simply fold the seats down and chuck them in the boot.
Did you pay the extra and get one with working indicators? As most of the ones I've seen being driven around don't seem to have them! ;)

About 15 years ago, I managed to get into a Lotus Elise hardtop with a little dignity left intact. Having to literally roll out of it sideways put me off the idea of buying one! However, I can get in and out of Mrs Nod's MX-5 without looking like too much of an old fart, even with the hardtop raised. A couple of years before the Lotus debacle, I managed to get into an F2 cockpit but my rather more ample than its normal occupant's arse left me wedged quite firmly. Not quite wedged firmly enough to need a forklift to get me out but it was close!

Frequently - every time I want something and am too lazy to do it myself!!! (Not true - I say it when I don't want anything too.)

Back in the mists of time I owned an Austin Healey frogeye sprite, wonderful to drive, and back then it was what was called in those days a "bird magnet" sadly courting in the car wasn't what you'd call easy, I even took the seats out once... the answer is still no.. I sold it and bought a ford executive... Now your talking, a nice big car. :D

I tell my wife I love her at least once every day.
That's me on the left and her on the right.
Proper childhood sweethearts...
View attachment 276454

That's sweet :) and I would say a real rarity these days.

As for telling my partner that I love her, I do every now and then, I feel it might be a bit overkill if I was to say it daily, she might get suspicious :ROFLMAO:

Ohhh I don’t know TTS and TTRS are not slow, old folk in the boot or not. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back