Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

You can do some modelling. And make some assumptions. Look at other countries. And cross your fingers.

My modelling days are over, not sure they ever started

Its all stats and we all know how reliable they are.
A relatively small number of people have died, more than some countries and less than others
How many would have copped it from seasonal flu, again who knows.
Would have been more concerned if it attacked healthy young people or had a mortality rate of something like Ebola at 70%+

My Dad just turned 70 in Jan, he's not really into photography but he does love to be out and about [esp since Mam died] - he suffers chronic pain and has COPD so he is one of the more vulnerable. He's been heading out for walks, and doing his light shop at 7am. He says when he does head out early he's only meeting the odd person, and it's usually another person 70+ out early for the same reason. I think he's enjoying the peace. Of course the evenings are now a drag for him

My Dad just turned 70 in Jan, he's not really into photography but he does love to be out and about [esp since Mam died] - he suffers chronic pain and has COPD so he is one of the more vulnerable. He's been heading out for walks, and doing his light shop at 7am. He says when he does head out early he's only meeting the odd person, and it's usually another person 70+ out early for the same reason. I think he's enjoying the peace. Of course the evenings are now a drag for him
As the virus seems to target the lungs he needs to be especially careful, I have a close friend with the same issue. :)

As the virus seems to target the lungs he needs to be especially careful, I have a close friend with the same issue. :)

Yeah it's a horrid condition without any extra threat - the hardest thing for him was giving up the cigs, but this'll be just as tough. He's a very sociable type, loves his chats about town in the evenings.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a horrid condition without any extra threat - the hardest thing for him was giving up the cigs, but this'll be just as tough. He's a very sociable type, loves his chats about town in the evenings.
Thoughts of a possible 4-month 'quarantine' fills me with dread too!
Just had our 1st confirmed death in Bristol, man in his late 50's ... there's around 20 confirmed cases in the surrounding area. :(

I'm late 60s, been classed as High Risk for more than a decade now. I've tried staying in all day but not very good at it. The virus seems to be under control: we haven't seen the explosion predicted. So I'll be back on London Transport tomorrow for the first time in three days ... a lunch followed by a walk in Hyde Park. I wear gloves on the bus/tube and avoid rush hour.

Thoughts of a possible 4-month 'quarantine' fills me with dread too!
Just had our 1st confirmed death in Bristol, man in his late 50's ... there's around 20 confirmed cases in the surrounding area. :(

Yeah, I was here yesterday worrying about being out of work for a couple of weeks but thinking harder on it I felt guilty, there's far worse off than me out there - health and wealth wise. We all gotta look out for one another.

On the photography side, I love me some garden macro, and have a new macro lens on the way - looking forward to get back to that and it'll bother nobody :)

Apparently multiple companies are racing to produce a vaccine, hopefully one of them cracks it and it doesn't cost a small fortune

Given we quit the European Medicines Agency it will take longer (since we have to approve it in the UK separately) and cost more (since we no longer benefit from the 500million-up price)

Apparently multiple companies are racing to produce a vaccine, hopefully one of them cracks it and it doesn't cost a small fortune

If it's free on the nhs I'll have shot every autumn as I do the flu jab.

Not sure what self-isolation means, should i not go out in the car for a ride somewhere quiet sit and enjoy the outside for a couple of hours, should i not go to the park on my scooter while avoiding contact and conversation.

Not sure what self-isolation means, should i not go out in the car for a ride somewhere quiet sit and enjoy the outside for a couple of hours, should i not go to the park on my scooter while avoiding contact and conversation.
You can sit in your garden

If you have no relevant contact with other humans during these outings then yes, that is still isolation.

... sounds like isolation to me. Go for it.

If you have no relevant contact with other humans during these outings then yes, that is still isolation.

In Madrid the police are actively patrolling and telling people to return to their homes/hotels.

I'm fortunate to live somewhere where I can go for a run for an hour and not see a single person, so even on full lockdown I can safely get out. I can't imagine for a second that people are going to stop walking their dogs etc. Practically speaking it's only people that live in city centres that might run into issues, out in some villages you might be 45 minutes from the nearest police officer at the best of times.

In Madrid the police are actively patrolling and telling people to return to their homes/hotels.

I'm fortunate to live somewhere where I can go for a run for an hour and not see a single person, so even on full lockdown I can safely get out. I can't imagine for a second that people are going to stop walking their dogs etc. Practically speaking it's only people that live in city centres that might run into issues, out in some villages you might be 45 minutes from the nearest police officer at the best of times.

It's all getting a bit 1984 when people are being told not to leave their homes! Hasn't hit that point here, yet! [Southern Eire] and I don't think I would comply tbh. I need to get out the house at least once per day for my sanity

out in some villages you might be 45 minutes from the nearest police officer at the best of times.
But not necessarily from the coronavirus!
1st death in Bristol was from someone in one of the outside towns.

I am 70+ , just, and I would have no problem keeping myself occupied. You only get bored if the people you are with are boring.

I look forward to all the conspiracy theory docu's on all of this down the road

Surely it should still be possible to go on solitary walks locally? Have they clarified that?

(Not 70 yet but getting there.......)
That’s what I thought surely you can get up at dawn and go for a walk along the river or somewhere else where you’re not going to bump into people

That’s what I thought surely you can get up at dawn and go for a walk along the river or somewhere else where you’re not going to bump into people

As someone mentioned earlier, people will still have to walk the dogs - they cannot stop this, it would be cruel

As someone mentioned earlier, people will still have to walk the dogs - they cannot stop this, it would be cruel

BBC(IIRC) news interviewed someone last week who had already started self isolation, was taking dog for walk at 2am. Said it was pretty quiet then

Death toll in Italy risen by 23% in the last 24 hours.
Dogs v humans = no contest.

Because of the developing danger I already walk my dog alone and friends do likewise. We confine our shopping to delivery only a week ago. If we meet in the street to chat we stand 2 metres apart.
If I see anyone coughing/sneezing etc.then a very wide berth is called for.
If you live in an area where you have enough space to take such precautions there is no good reason to stay indoors. It would achieve nothing other than inflict stress.
People who live in congested areas will have problems maintaining a safe distance apart. High rise flats with lifts will be bloody awful.
I live in West Cen. Scotland and it looks like there will be no compulsory "lock ins" (so far). That is a relief.
Movement restrictions are best achieved by co-operation.
It is human nature to resent and oppose forced action.
Apart from all that there is damn all organised to meet the basic humanitarian needs of people confined to their houses. Panic buying is rife as are scumbags buying vital products for resale. Getting measures in place to prevent these sort of things should have been done before now.

Death toll in Italy risen by 23% in the last 24 hours.
Dogs v humans = no contest.

Walking dogs is just a loose example tbh, people with small children need to get them out in the fresh air too. Adults vs Babies next? ... dogs and other pets are still living beings, I don't have a dog myself, more a cat person, but if I did nobody is going to stop me walking it.

Back