Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

Keep in mind it's not just an explosion of cases, it's the fact a LOT more people are being tested and showing up more of those infected. That makes it look like a big jump in numbers.
From China through Europe, UK & the US the numbers have been increasing exponentially.

What about those that get the virus and don't show symptoms (become carriers), I that just happens to be you would you really be so cavalier to go out and kill people by passing it on? Would you be happy if you or a relative was infected by someone with a similar attitude?

There's a lot of conflicting stats out there right now, many sites will tell you that the common flu has killed a much higher percentage than Covid-19 over the past few weeks.

What about those that get the virus and don't show symptoms (become carriers), I that just happens to be you would you really be so cavalier to go out and kill people by passing it on? Would you be happy if you or a relative was infected by someone with a similar attitude?

How could you be cavalier if you didn't know you had it?

Are you referring to anyone specifically here? Or just random ranting? which is fine, just checking

Keep in mind it's not just an explosion of cases, it's the fact a LOT more people are being tested and showing up more of those infected. That makes it look like a big jump in numbers.

Are a lot more people being tested?

The advice to self isolate and not call 111 if you have symptoms would suggest that testing is being restricted only to those who get worse and call for help or those turning up at hospital for other reasons?

Are a lot more people being tested?

The advice to self isolate and not call 111 if you have symptoms would suggest that testing is being restricted only to those who get worse and call for help or those turning up at hospital for other reasons?
I think it's just the really ill and hospitalised ones

Last edited:
It is a bit, you're accusing people in general of wanting to kill others through carelessness.

How? If people need to go out and take care doing so then all is good. If the situation gets too bad and sever restrictions are put in place and some people ignore them and go out anyway is that them being careless?

There's a lot of conflicting stats out there right now, many sites will tell you that the common flu has killed a much higher percentage than Covid-19 over the past few weeks.
100% this, I attended a Health Protection meeting last week, and we have had 6 men commit suicide in the last 7 days, but not 1 confirmed case of Covid 19. The knock on effect of all of this hit business' and potentially thousands are put out of work I can genuinely see more people committing suicide in some areas than being affected by the virus itself. This may take some time to show, but in the longer term I think it could.

Reporting is very poor, information is all over the place, and the results of planned actions are a guess at best.

Nothing is clear yet, there is clearly a mix of healthcare & politics.
The virus has been confirmed in our city and in the surrounding counties and they say that the 'confirmed' numbers are the tip of the iceberg.
Even out alone there can be the possibility of coming into contact just by the things we do as a matter of course/habit without even thinking. Was shopping with SWMBO couple of days ago and we agreed a regime of using hand sanitiser before entering supermarket and when leaving and avoiding hands on faces (as advised) while we were in there ... half way around I noticed she had her pen in her mouth!
From my observations few people are really treating it seriously in the sense of taking preventative action, except for stripping supermarket shelves!

You've got hand santiser ? Don't for goodness tell anyone where you live,Roger..:LOL:

Putting a pen in one's mouth in the supermarket is second nature..we don't even realise we're doing it. I was in Sainsburys on Friday and came away from the back wall bread counter and was about to walk down an ailse to my right when out of it came a women coughing and not even covering her mouth so I used an aisle away to my left. The checkout lady wore gloves. My attitude is to do as much as I can to protect myself and after that it's out of my control.

I was about to renew my annual Slimbridge membership but will wait until it's clear about movement and to whom it applies. Russ said he wouldn't go in a hide but unless there are quite a few in there I'd have thought it was low risk . I don't know, they can get busy can't they. Any thoughts ? I'm signing off now and will listen to what Steve Nolan's (Radio Five Live) callers and guests have to say.

100% this, I attended a Health Protection meeting last week, and we have had 6 men commit suicide in the last 7 days, but not 1 confirmed case of Covid 19. The knock on effect of all of this hit business' and potentially thousands are put out of work I can genuinely see more people committing suicide in some areas than being affected by the virus itself. This may take some time to show, but in the longer term I think it could.

Reporting is very poor, information is all over the place, and the results of planned actions are a guess at best.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11178447/coronavirus-italy-local-newspaper-obituary/

Just like flu or suicide.

Can anyone tell me why bog roll? I'm baffled.

Edit: Hmm, asking the question has helped me to work it out. It's fashion, isn't it? Probably social media led.

It's fidget spinners but with a pretend purpose.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why bog roll? I'm baffled.
It's not just bog roll.
Empty bog roll shelves look a lot more dramatic when empty because its often a full aisle, and you don't actually get hundreds out on the shelves which doesn't help.

People will panic because they're looking further ahead and if we are all hit as hard as Italy and forced into a major shutdown/lockdown, then factories will close, production will cease, and things will start to run out.....then what?

That scenario sounds far fetched, but if someone told you 3 months ago what would be happening all over the world, you'd likely say something like "don't be daft, these things only happen in films".

Last edited:
Not sure you’ve grasped how exponential growth works.

Imagine borrowing £100 at 2% interest a day - vs 20% a year.

Back