Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

It doesn't, that's the problem.
I'm agreeing with you regarding it's not clear, but sensible people know they shouldn't be doing it without it specifically saying not to drive.

I don't think it's always straight forward though. For example, I'd love to go out for some fresh air and exercise but I'me a wheelchair user and where I live, the pavements are just not suitable, especially as the casters on my chair are quite small, so ideally, I'd love to get in my car and go to a local park where theres a usable footpath. Would that be wrong?

I don't think it's always straight forward though. For example, I'd love to go out for some fresh air and exercise but I'me a wheelchair user and where I live, the pavements are just not suitable, especially as the casters on my chair are quite small, so ideally, I'd love to get in my car and go to a local park where theres a usable footpath. Would that be wrong?
No, because for you it would be necessary and justified
For me, it wouldn't.

A small amount of common sense is required, oh I see the problem :)

You see matt, that comment is a perfect example of social media pressure (y)

Sensible people or people under social media pressure thinking they shouldn't be driving?.........don't forget, if these people live local to the beach, keep 2 mtrs apart and aren't in groups of more than 2 people, unless of the same house hold, what are they doing wrong?, what law are they breaking?
They're not actually doing anything wrong, but by being on the road when they don't need to be they increase the risks of a crash or a breakdown, which may then put others at risk.
I'd say they know that, but will think it'll be ok, I'm not going to crash, it's only 2 miles, I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm not actually breaking any laws...etc etc

Last edited:
Mathew Paris on R4 this morning pointing out that there are two types of English people. Paraphrasing (as I can't remember exactly how he put it)...
  1. I have the right as a freeborn Englishman to do what the hell I like and no jumped up copper's going to tell me otherwise.
  2. I have the duty as an Englishman to do the right thing to protect myself and my fellow citizens.
We've all met the type 1s but how often do we notice the much more numerous type 2s?

:tumbleweed:

Do you take your car out to exercise?

Why do you ask that Bob?, because I've proved on the official government website that nowhere does it say I couldn't if i wanted, because I'm not in the 'hollier than thou' social media group slagging all the people off that are driving local to get their exercise?

I've very fortunate that I live in a, I was going to say rural but I'll call it semi-rural area, so plenty of open space for me.

I'm just trying to see the coin from the other side, people that live in blocks of flats, in heavily populated areas but with open space within a few miles that drive there, in other words, local.

Why do you ask that Bob?, because I've proved on the official government website that nowhere does it say I couldn't if i wanted, because I'm not in the 'hollier than thou' social media group slagging all the people off that are driving local to get their exercise?

I've very fortunate that I live in a, I was going to say rural but I'll call it semi-rural area, so plenty of open space for me.

I'm just trying to see the coin from the other side, people that live in blocks of flats, in heavily populated areas but with open space within a few miles that drive there, in other words, local.
Really, for me it's straight forward, stay in doors unless you want to exercise then walk round the block. Some people choose to drive to a more picturesque place because they don't want to walk round the block. Fair enough do that but bear in mind your actions may have consequences. It seems somewhere in the past 40 years society has forgotten that their actions can/do have consequences and people don't think of them BEFORE they action their thoughts/needs/wants etc.
Obviously some people cant walk around the block (my Dad for instance who needs to use a mobility scooter, but he doesn't drive, so he's staying in full time), some others can drive but need to use a wheel chair so exceptions should always be made in exceptional circumstances.
FFS it's only been a week.

but by being on the road when they don't need to be they increase the risks of a crash or a breakdown, which may then put others at risk.

Yes, another good old social media quote!

We live very close to one of the Tour of Yorkshire Routes.How many lycra clad (overweight) cyclist do you think we see a day pass here since the 'lockdown', all thinking they're Bradley Wiggins. What if they crash or breakdown 40 miles from home?

We live very close to one of the Tour of Yorkshire Routes.How many lycra clad (overweight) cyclist do you think we see a day pass here since the 'lockdown', all thinking they're Bradley Wiggins. What if they crash or breakdown 40 miles from home?
Probably the same number as how many overweight, stereotype photographers there are there out there, thinking they are a world renowned landscape photographer. What if they fall over and twist their ankle 40 meters from the car? ;)

Near where I live folks have been using their cars unnecessarily to drive for exercise and dog walking.

I used to live with a very large anti social to other dogs, German Shepherd that I got from a local rescue.
Lovely dog in all other ways and fine with the dogs we met most of the time, owners knew him and kept their dogs away, or some he liked and played.
Weekend and school hols were a no go locally, all the green welly brigade with their untrained spaniels/labs etc were out in force so we drove to places I knew would be isolated and safe for him and the other 2 to run free
Can you just imagine how hard it would be now, those untrained dogs out with adults, kids anyone who wanted to get some fresh air, great for those dogs nightmare for others like me who hadd to take a chance and hope we could find a quiet time before nightfall

Surely after he'd bitten a few of them they'd get the message :)

I didn't think there could be any issue more contentious than the B word
Just shows how wrong I could be.

Surely after he'd bitten a few of them they'd get the message :)

Nope but I'd get the vet bill :banghead:

Someone even tried that when I had him on a lead and their dog ran up and jumped on him
I refused to pay, their fault if they couldn't control their dog

I don't think they should be doing that either

I refused to pay, their fault if they couldn't control their dog
A few years ago two dogs savaged our cat. Luckily our neighbour saw what was happening and rescued the cat. There was a large vet's bill to pay but the woman who owned the dogs paid up. We discovered much later that our local community police officer had "suggested" she made restitution to avoid being charged with failure to control the dogs.

Right, lets put this to bed, someone has just told me to watch Question Time on BBC iplayer, broadcast last night 2nd April, 2020

Regardless of what anyone else thinks, what ever you read on social media or any other social media pressure you feel under....... this is what the government health secretary had to say when asked 'can I drive local in my car to exercise'

Jump to 53 minutes and 40 seconds Edit.....I think the link takes you to the spot (y) 2nd Edit, sorry it doesn't, just go to 53.40

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000gxw2/question-time-2020-02042020

Last edited:

I only asked because the folks that say it's ok tend to be the ones doing it.
I get that there are people that don't have nice scenery to walk in, and I'm also lucky that I do.
At the end of the day, all that's likely to happen is we will end up on a tighter lockdown, and we will be told specifically to stay at home unless buying food/medicines etc.

Being retired i often dont know or care what day it is :ROFLMAO: but sitting in my front room listening to the cars go past i though a lot more cars today, then i remembered its Friday, shopping day around here.

See above post Bob (y)
So stay at home, but when exercising or taking your dog out it's ok to drive a short distance and walk......no distance guidance at all other than a "short" distance.
So is that 1 mile? 2 miles? 5 miles?
How will the police interpret short?

Right, lets put this to bed, someone has just told me to watch Question Time on BBC iplayer, broadcast last night 2nd April, 2020

Regardless of what anyone else thinks, what ever you read on social media or any other social media pressure you feel under....... this is what the government health secretary had to say when asked 'can I drive local in my car to exercise'

Jump to 53 minutes and 40 seconds Edit.....I think the link takes you to the spot (y) 2nd Edit, sorry it doesn't, just go to 53.40

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000gxw2/question-time-2020-02042020
Whilst it does clarify that it’s possible to get in the car to exercise somewhere what’s a ‘short distance’. 1-2 miles, 5-6 miles or 30 miles? Everyone’s opinion of a short distance is going to be different. That was the point Derbyshire police were making about curbar gap car park with cars coming from Sheffield. The problem is if everyone thinks they can get in the car and drive somewhere then we could have another snowdonia like the other weekend. Human nature means we sadly push rules as far as we can.

I think it would be better if they said something like you can drive ‘less than 5 miles’ or ‘less than 10 miles’ as it’s definitive and can’t be argued with and there is likely to be open space within that distance (my brother in law lives in tooting London and seems to be finding social distancing in open space without a car easy enough). I saw something else that said on average if you had a bad crash car there is on average 18 people attending and that’s before you get to A&E! That’s a lot of people to put at risk for something that’s not essential.

At the moment it’s a case of trying to reduce risk to the NHS. Anything that has a risk where you could potentially cause extra stress to the NHS should be avoided or at least reduced where possible. Driving 5 miles to a local wood isn’t the same as driving 2 hours to the Peak District. Going cycling for 30-60 mins is quite different to going on a 4 hour cycle ride every single day. The problem it’s easier to blanket ban things as there are too many people out there lacking any form of common sense or they feel rules don’t apply to them!

I’ve been quite impressed with most famous YouTube photographers as they seem to be understanding their responsibility to show photographers shouldn’t really leave the house to do a bit of photography. If they were seen to be doing it it would encourage more photographers to follow suit and then everyone would be out!

So stay at home, but when exercising or taking your dog out it's ok to drive a short distance and walk......no distance guidance at all other than a "short" distance.
So is that 1 mile? 2 miles? 5 miles?
How will the police interpret short?

I have no idea Bob, define local?

I came into this thread because I had this discussion with someone the other day.......and before anyone jumps on that band wagon, I'm self employed, still working part time when needed but keeping within the guildelines ;)

They said that it was 'illegal' to travel in your car and that the police were stopping people.When asked where they'd got the info from, you guessed it, FB, I told them to go read the gov. website.

Last edited:
A few years ago two dogs savaged our cat. Luckily our neighbour saw what was happening and rescued the cat. There was a large vet's bill to pay but the woman who owned the dogs paid up. We discovered much later that our local community police officer had "suggested" she made restitution to avoid being charged with failure to control the dogs.

Never had a problem with paying if it was my fault, I did have control of my boy but sometimes accidents happen.
Vet bills aren't cheap
What annoyed me is when they allowed their dog to run up despite my warnings, luckily I could get my dog to lie down and stay whilst |I grabbed theirs and kept it away

Do you take your car out to exercise?

I used to (and will again as soon as I'm allowed!) - mainly because it's a long walk to the golf course, especially with a bag of clubs. Although we live on the outskirts of town, there's only really one block to walk round and having done the round about 10 times since lockdown, we can almost see our previous footprints, the only changes being where we've crossed the road to keep 2m+ distance from other households.
Saw a small group of very grubby mountain bikers who had fairly obviously been up into the woods just over the hill (where, incidentally, there are NO bridleways, just FOOTpaths…) Quite apart from the social distancing they weren't observing (and they weren't from the same household unless they have an alternative lifestyle), I couldn't help wondering if they'd expect special treatment if they'd had a nasty off.

I used to (and will again as soon as I'm allowed!) - mainly because it's a long walk to the golf course, especially with a bag of clubs. Although we live on the outskirts of town, there's only really one block to walk round and having done the round about 10 times since lockdown, we can almost see our previous footprints, the only changes being where we've crossed the road to keep 2m+ distance from other households.
Saw a small group of very grubby mountain bikers who had fairly obviously been up into the woods just over the hill (where, incidentally, there are NO bridleways, just FOOTpaths…) Quite apart from the social distancing they weren't observing (and they weren't from the same household unless they have an alternative lifestyle), I couldn't help wondering if they'd expect special treatment if they'd had a nasty off.
I do mountain biking, but have specifically avoided the trails for that reason.

I do mountain biking, but have specifically avoided the trails for that reason.

How many miles in one exercise session Bob? .......maybe we could use that to define local :p

Just a bit of light-hearted banter, don't take it seriously ;)

An hour's session on a bike could be about 25miles.

It's a shame that there are outliers in any group, that take the pee, there are indeed cyclists cycling for longer exercise sessions than an hour. Just as it is a shame that beauty spots and delightful places are fearful of what might happen over the Easter period with incomers, and it is a shame that (I see this every time I am out) there is a proportion of drivers that are taking advantage of the lack of traffic and enforcement and driving like selfish idiots - speeding, cutting up roundabouts and junctions, parking wherever they want, etc.

How many miles in one exercise session Bob? .......maybe we could use that to define local :p

Just a bit of light-hearted banter, don't take it seriously ;)
I go in a big square, and do about 6 miles, with my house being fairly central so I'm never more than 2 miles max from the house. I do avoid the main roads as I don't enjoy riding on the road so much.

Really, for me it's straight forward, stay in doors unless you want to exercise then walk round the block. Some people choose to drive to a more picturesque place because they don't want to walk round the block. Fair enough do that but bear in mind your actions may have consequences. It seems somewhere in the past 40 years society has forgotten that their actions can/do have consequences and people don't think of them BEFORE they action their thoughts/needs/wants etc.
Obviously some people cant walk around the block (my Dad for instance who needs to use a mobility scooter, but he doesn't drive, so he's staying in full time), some others can drive but need to use a wheel chair so exceptions should always be made in exceptional circumstances.
FFS it's only been a week.
A walk around the block isn't exercise for many (unless you have a huge block) for years my daily exercise consisted of around a 20-30mile a day fast walk/run carrying upwards of 50lb, then in the evening it would be a 3 mile walk each way to the pub. Now thats what I call exercise. Even now in my late 60's I'd call anything less than 5 miles a waste of time. The idea is to get heart and lungs working under load for time, not blow the dandruff off your collar and check out next doors new curtains ;)

A walk around the block isn't exercise for many (unless you have a huge block) for years my daily exercise consisted of around a 20-30mile a day fast walk/run carrying upwards of 50lb, then in the evening it would be a 3 mile walk each way to the pub. Now thats what I call exercise. Even now in my late 60's I'd call anything less than 5 miles a waste of time. The idea is to get heart and lungs working under load for time, not blow the dandruff off your collar and check out next doors new curtains ;)
That's not normal though.....a walk round the block would be too much for many

Ahhhh... normal and Wayne are not words I hear together very often.... Never have come to think of it. :)

I regard "normal" when applied to myself as an insult!

Our block is about 2 miles according to Mrs Nod's GPS watch which says it's 3.2km). A 9 hole round of golf is 2 1/2 miles but involves about 50 stops!

Rather than wriggling around, let's go back to what you said:

I'm sure They all know they're not following Govenment guidelines and are taking advantage of the fact it doesn't specifically say don't take your car
Unfortunately the government assumed we were all sensible, mature adults ....

And yet the specific Govt advice is as follows:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyxU9QAenmQ

If you want to act like a matyr, please feel free to do so. But in doing so, don't bash those who are a) acting sensibly b) sticking to Govt guidelines and c) not endangering anyone.

Oh and please don't use that total BS excuse about cars having an accident or breaking down to justify attacking others.
It was dreamt up by a couple of Forces to justify their actions when they went above and beyond their legal remit.
Actions which have now been firmly curbed by the NPCC.

Back