Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

Rather than wriggling around, let's go back to what you said:

And yet the specific Govt advice is as follows:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyxU9QAenmQ

If you want to act like a matyr, please feel free to do so. But in doing so, don't bash those who are a) acting sensibly b) sticking to Govt guidelines and c) not endangering anyone.

Oh and please don't use that total BS excuse about cars having an accident or breaking down to justify attacking others.
It was dreamt up by a couple of Forces to justify their actions when they went above and beyond their legal remit.
Actions which have now been firmly curbed by the NPCC.
I'm not acting like a martyr at all.
My comment was made before I saw the clarification from the health secretary which was only clarified late last night, and I've since acknowledged his comments.
Why do you think it was necessary for him to clarify the situation?
Oh, and please, theres no need to exaggerate as I haven't attacked anyone.
Plus, if your going to quote me, quote me in full.
:)

How is the risk of a car crashing or breaking down and potentially putting others at risk BS?
I accept that the chances of an accident or breakdown may not be high, but that doesn't make it BS.

Last edited:
So stay at home, but when exercising or taking your dog out it's ok to drive a short distance and walk......no distance guidance at all other than a "short" distance.
So is that 1 mile? 2 miles? 5 miles?
How will the police interpret short?
According to BBC news just now, Matt Hancock has clarified this to say "short" is less than a 5 minute drive.

According to BBC news just now, Matt Hancock has clarified this to say "short" is less than a 5 minute drive.

With so few cars on the road that should mean about 10miles with my foot down :exit:

Is that there and back or each way ?
You can go a long way in 5 mins

Is that there and back or each way ?
You can go a long way in 5 mins
I but report the one line that was presented on the news.

But normally when you talk about something being a "5 minute" drive, you mean one way.

I but report the one line that was presented on the news.
But normally when you talk about something being a "5 minute" drive, you mean one way.

Normally yes, but nothing is straightforward at the moment

Normally yes, but nothing is straightforward at the moment
I certainly can't disagree with that, but I think its difficult to give precise advice as every car journey for whatever the reason, is going to potentially add to the risk of spreading the virus.

So as I see it, you need to have a reasonable excuse for increasing that risk by taking your car out, and the length of the journey you make with it.

For some people driving somewhere to walk their dog or take exercise, might well be justifiable, as everyone's circumstances are different, for others, probably the majority, you need to ask yourself whether that drive to walk the dog or exercise is really essential.

As someone who has walked 10-15 miles a day 5 days a week for many years and for even longer been out and about most of the day (12-18hrs) for more years than I care to remember being confined to the house has been torture for me. I am reluctant to to walk locally due top the risk of getting close to others doing the same.

With the statement in that video I feel confident that I am allowed to drive the 2 mile each way to the area where I would normally walk the dog (off the lead). I have heard that dog walkers are asked to keep there dog on a lead which I will do until told I can do otherwise but I will restart my weekly 3 dog walks. If nothing else it will help my health more than staying at home. In my opinion exercise is essential for me.

Thanks for that link.

With the statement in that video I feel confident that I am allowed to drive the 2 mile each way to the area where I would normally walk the dog (off the lead). I have heard that dog walkers are asked to keep there dog on a lead which I will do until told I can do otherwise but I will restart my weekly 3 dog walks. If nothing else it will help my health more than staying at home. In my opinion exercise is essential for me.

Thanks for that link.
Also see my post here:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ill-you-pursue-your-hobby.708407/post-8669606

As someone who has walked 10-15 miles a day 5 days a week for many years and for even longer been out and about most of the day (12-18hrs) for more years than I care to remember being confined to the house has been torture for me. I am reluctant to to walk locally due top the risk of getting close to others doing the same.

Thanks for that link.
It is all a bit confusing.
I've been taking my dog out twice a day, but apparently I should only be taking him out once, and that should count as my single exercise for that day....:(
Wonder if I could teach him to ride a bike :)

If its left to the police to make a judgment call lets hope they do it as well as they do in other areas, things like an arrest for being drunk and disorderly, driving issues, noise disturbance, unruly behavior just some of the things we leave to a policeman's judgment call.

The comment that stuck with me on the radio was that if one person is allowed to drive to the beauty spot everyone is and then we may have a lot of people in close proximity and the potential for infection.

I suppose if the beauty / remote spot we want to go to isn't popular and we're going to be the only ones there then there's no problem but for other people the spot they aim for may just be the one hundreds or even thousands of others head for and then there's at least the potential for increased risk and in these times I just don't think that's acceptable.

I like the outdoors myself but I'd rather keep myself and others uninfected and out of hospital so for me personally staying in the choice I choose. I still exercise and in fact I'll be doing just that in a few minutes time... press ups, sit ups and the like and some nice stretching exercises. Mrs WW has an exercise bike and she's on that every morning. My sister who lives next door is a nurse so that highlights the issue for me.

These are just my choices and others are free to make their own but I do hope they make them sensibly and whilst considering the possible effects, remote though they may be, on others and avoid the it's my right and I'm going to do it attitude that sadly seems prevalent these days.

It's 2 mile and I can normally do that distance in under 5 mins but just in case I'll drive a bit faster, lol. I normally back in the house within 1 hr.

T
I like the outdoors myself but I'd rather keep myself and others uninfected and out of hospital so for me personally staying in the choice I choose. I still exercise and in fact I'll be doing just that in a few minutes time... press ups, sit ups and the like and some nice stretching exercises.

Unfortunately my health issue means that while I can walk on the flat even the slightest incline has me badly out of breath within 40 yards, was 15-20 yards but 2 years of exercising has increased that. Press ups & sit ups etc. are out of the question and I honestly couldn't run more that 6 paces even if my life depended on it.

You could have a treadmill on the level or walk up and down the garden path if you have one or even just up and down the kitchen and your fresh air could be got from spending time in the garden or sticking your head out of the window.

I do understand the urge to get out and about but we're potentially talking about life and death here and not just our own but the life and death of our loved ones and people we don't even know on the street, up the hill or in uniform in the hospital.

and people we don't even know on the street, up the hill or in uniform in the hospital.

Aren't people in the street already risking their own lives etc.

Has anyone seen that "5 minute drive" for exercise guidance from Matt Hancock and reported on the 6 o'clock news, written down or reported anywhere?

Having posted it here after hearing it on the news, I've been searching for something more official and can't find anything.

There has been new guidance just issued about travel from the Transport Secreary (8:33pm, 3 April 2020), but it just says

"But I want to urge everyone to continue to follow government guidance; that means not travelling too far to exercise or walk pets, staying 2 metres away from other people when outside, and only making journeys when absolutely essential."

Saw a couple of interesting things on TV, one from a Naval Commander who was the Captain of a nuclear sub, there you are confined to a steel tube for 200+days, so what we are being asked to do is not that onerous. Tim Peake the astronaut lived for six months in a can unable to open a window, It's time people got their heads around the fact that staying in IS GOING TO HELP the situation, so stop whinging, trying to find excuses to wriggle round the rules, and just suck it up for a few weeks, it isn't going to kill you. Whereas going out and about might well kill someone else.

Saw a couple of interesting things on TV, one from a Naval Commander who was the Captain of a nuclear sub, there you are confined to a steel tube for 200+days, so what we are being asked to do is not that onerous. Tim Peake the astronaut lived for six months in a can unable to open a window, It's time people got their heads around the fact that staying in IS GOING TO HELP the situation, so stop whinging, trying to find excuses to wriggle round the rules, and just suck it up for a few weeks, it isn't going to kill you. Whereas going out and about might well kill someone else.
To be fair to Tim his time on the ISS was a photographers dream. An awesome spectacle outside the window coupled with a very impressive kit line up that was literally weightless ;)

But you are right staying at home for a month or two/three isn’t that bad in the scheme of things, and something we should all be able to do without bending the rules that are in place for our own and everyone else’s safety.

edit: I did see an article talking to Terry Waite on how to cope with the lockdown. Considering the guy spent nearly 5 years in solidarity confinement I’d say we should all be able to do a few weeks/months. Terry has a tenuous link to my local town having received a postcard depicting John Bunyan whilst in captivity. I seem to remember he said at least John Bunyan had a window with a view!

Last edited:
Rather than wriggling around, let's go back to what you said:

If you want to act like a matyr, please feel free to do so. But in doing so, don't bash those who are a) acting sensibly b) sticking to Govt guidelines and c) not endangering anyone.

Oh and please don't use that total BS excuse about cars having an accident or breaking down to justify attacking others.
It was dreamt up by a couple of Forces to justify their actions when they went above and beyond their legal remit.
Actions which have now been firmly curbed by the NPCC.

This. 100% this.^^^

Last edited:

If I were the type that could stay in a tin can for weeks or months then I would have gone for a job in a navy submarine or as an astronaut, I couldn't work in an office, factory or shop either so I got work where I was outside most the time.

As for getting it in to my head that staying in will help, I DO STAY IN. When official advice is to stay in if possible, take exercise locally (within 5 min drive at less popular locations) for 1hr if needed and maintain social distancing of 6 ft I think that if I drive to the local park (where few people go), walk a couple of miles or so then return within the hr (door to door) and only do that 3 days a week (as against 7 days which would count as a DAILY walk) all to help with my health I do not think that counts as whinging, trying to wriggle round the rules. I think it is less than the rules allow.

You may be able to 'suck it up' without any effect on you physical or mental health but not everyone can.

You say not going outside isn't going to kill you, My MIL has not set foot outside in over 6 years and has tested positive.

Since the lockdown I could have been out for 1hrs exercise EVERY day but I haven't because I consider the risks of local walking too great for me whereas there is little or no risk to me or anyone else if I drive 2 miles to the local park. Yes I know someone is likely to say what if I crash the car etc. but what if I walk locally and the international space station crashed on my head? What happens if those who stay at home fall asleep with sheer boredom and burn the house/block of flats with the cigarette they were smoking?

Whatever 'good reason' you can give not to drive to the local park there is at least as many why you should not stay in.

If the best advice is not to go out except for grocery shopping then the 'experts' should come out and say 'DO NOT GO OUT EVEN FOR EXERCISE'

There are people who will stay in, some will go out because they are allowed to go out and there are some who will just do whatever they want because rules & laws don't apply to them (unless they suit them).

I have been going for my daily exercise in the morning, this involves walking along a path or canal path to reach my destination to exercise where there is plenty of open space. When walking there I pass others going for exercise, it is very difficult to keep a safe distance. Now had I driven the short distance to the place to exercise, I would not have come into close contact with others.

I have been going for my daily exercise in the morning, this involves walking along a path or canal path to reach my destination to exercise where there is plenty of open space. When walking there I pass others going for exercise, it is very difficult to keep a safe distance. Now had I driven the short distance to the place to exercise, I would not have come into close contact with others.
Now you can drive without fear of bending any rules.
The only issue going forward may be that more people start going because they're allowed to take the car, and you may find the open area becomes a much busier area, rather than a quiet area.
I can see that happening where I live, because of the beaches and promenades.
I think the places it's most likely to be transmitted though is the supermarkets and small grocery shops.

Last edited:
Now you can drive without fear of bending any rules.
The only issue going forward may be that more people start going because they're allowed to take the car, and you may find the open area becomes a much busier area, rather than a quiet area.
I can see that happening where I live, because of the beaches and promenades.
I think the places it's most likely to be transmitted though is the supermarkets and small grocery shops.

I think it would be safer for me and others, if some did drive the short distance where they live, to do their fitness stuff. When I walk the short distance along the path near mine, there are joggers and cyclist panting and spitting heavily. I have not driven there yet, as I love walking. I will still continue to walk to keep healthy, I just hope no infections get spread either way.

I think it would be safer for me and others, if some did drive the short distance where they live, to do their fitness stuff. When I walk the short distance along the path near mine, there are joggers and cyclist panting and spitting heavily. I have not driven there yet, as I love walking. I will still continue to walk to keep healthy, I just hope no infections get spread either way.
I know what you mean. We're lucky because the streets round about us are very quiet, and its only if I venture towards the beach/promenade that we actually start seeing any numbers of people, so we stay away from the actual promenade.

Any one seen any info on how new victims of the virus are being infected, is it still pre lock down infections mainly

Any one seen any info on how new victims of the virus are being infected, is it still pre lock down infections mainly
I wondered that.
I'm sure I heard/read that it could take 2 weeks for the lockdown to start to show any real positive effect.

I'm afraid my opinion of old people is they have a tendency to become very child like, selfish, demanding etc as they age, so I expect this is another example.

You've got something to look forward to then

You've got something to look forward to then
A tendency, not all old people. No idea what I'll be like, miserable old guy I expect and not that long to wait either.

A tendency, not all old people. No idea what I'll be like, miserable old guy I expect and not that long to wait either.
My wife's always saying I'm a grumpy git.
I'll bet she can't wait for me to become more childlike....:)

Ok ime old, well 71 but i do wonder if some of the comments on here about my group could be made about Gay or Black people to name but two groups and been considered ok.

Ok ime old, well 71 but i do wonder if some of the comments on here about my group could be made about Gay or Black people to name but two groups and been considered ok.
I guess if you were gay, black, whatever and made the comments it would be ok. At 65 I seem to be in a somewhat limbo group, some might consider it "old" as often stated in the press e.g an elderly gentleman,65, was today blah blah blah, but I don't qualify for State Pension so I am not an OAP, just stuck in limbo and can't say anything outrageous that can be dismissed by "he's old, what's he like eh?"

Last edited:
Me and the missus are in the older and or the vulnerable group, missus has a long term illness. Missus can't afford to catch anything, as it could prove very bad for her. We are doing our best to keep ourselves safe, and others safe too. So we are not venturing out needlessly.

Besides, imagine how embarrassing and humiliating it would be, to be told off by a policeman / woman young enough to be your child grandchild. :eek:

Last edited:

Matt, sorry about the way my comment came across. I mean to put a smilie at the end but hit the send button instead :(

Like you, I'm in my mid-60's and can be known to be a bit grumpy but I always try to be considerate of other peoples needs and feelings.

I guess if you were gay, black, whatever and made the comments it would be ok. At 65 I seem to be in a somewhat limbo group, some might consider it "old" as often stated in the press e.g an elderly gentleman,65, was today blah blah blah, but I don't qualify for State Pension so I am not an OAP, just stuck in limbo and can't say anything outrageous that can be dismissed by "he's old, what's he like eh?"

Wasn't aiming at you just a general observation

Aren't people in the street already risking their own lives etc.

Well lets think about it.

They could be there for a more important reason than to exercise outside. They could be going shopping, going for medication or running errands for someone more vulnerable. I'd have thought that was obvious.

They could be there for a more important reason than to exercise outside. They could be going shopping, going for medication or running errands for someone more vulnerable. I'd have thought that was obvious.

As are most people on main streets, myself included

So what are you saying? What's your point?

My point is that people do have to go out for essential supplies, not just the vulnerable
are you saying we should all stay in to protect people who are in the high risk category in case they decide to stop moaning and go out ?
Round here we have a good scheme organised where people are prepared to go and get shopping etc for others that are more vulnerable, streets aren't exactly crowded so we take that risk to help others

Back