"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Which are the lenses to avoid,i have the 12-35,45-175 and 100-400
So I've got a dodgy combo?
I have noticed a few what I thought were my error shots with the 40-150 2.8 ? Maybe not
The 12-40 stays on my em1
I want the 100-400 for wildlife but a bit expensive at the moment but if I sold the 40-150 2.8........... Got me thinking mikew

Last edited:
Yesterday saw a hare, sunny 7am spot, f4 1000th of a second, came out blurred/soft? Couldn't understand what I'd done wrong but it's starting to look like nothing

Last edited:
Ime sure you can convince yourself there is a problem if you try hard enough:D that was a joke so dont jump on me.

I got some sharp images at 400mm at about 140th of a second hand held,using dual IS,now that is an achievement for me.

Ime sure you can convince yourself there is a problem if you try hard enough:D that was a joke so dont jump on me.
Lol [emoji16]
Seriously though I've had quite a few soft shots I can't explain, even my fz300 has been sharper, saying that for the most part it performs fine??
I'll try it on the em1 and see wether it's me or..........
100-400 exchange still a nice idea [emoji16]

Last edited:
Maybe we can compile our own little shutter shock list?

As far as I know...

G1 - not affected.
GX7 - affected.
G7 - affected.

14-42mm mega ois - affected.

From what I've read on line the 14-140mm is affected.

Can anyone add to this?

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with GF1, GX1, G3 and GH1, used with various lenses.

I never had a problem with my GF1 either but I only used one lens on it, the 20mm f1.7, I think it's only the newer bodies and only some lenses maybe including some of the very compact zooms.

Maybe we can compile our own little shutter shock list?

As far as I know...

G1 - not affected.
GX7 - affected.
G7 - affected.

14-42mm mega ois - affected.

From what I've read on line the 14-140mm is affected.

Can anyone add to this?

Is it all versions of the 14-42 Allan? Can't say I have noticed it on our g7 and 14-42 hd lens

I don't know how many versions of this there are. I have the original that came out years ago and it's quire a large lens and seems unaffected. The newer one I have that came with the G7 is tiny, just the size of a prime really, and is badged as a Mega O.I.S.

If you have one and it's unaffected then I suppose that's pretty good proof that not all versions are :D

I don't know how many versions of this there are. I have the original that came out years ago and it's quire a large lens and seems unaffected. The newer one I have that came with the G7 is tiny, just the size of a prime really, and is badged as a Mega O.I.S.

If you have one and it's unaffected then I suppose that's pretty good proof that not all versions are :D

Will have a look and see exactly which one we have.

Will have a look and see exactly which one we have.

I have the same one as Alan (the latest one) that came with my GX8. I've not seen any shutter shock issues in the year that I've had this combination, but note my comments on how I tend to shoot higher up this thread.

Simon.

Tested the 40-150 2.8 on both bodies, I really don't think there's any ss I think it's more to do with the stabilisation but it works better on the em1 over the GX8, only been with MFT for couple of months but I believe although you can mix and match bodies and lenses it's probably best not to, I think I'll sell the 40-150 2.8 and get the Panny 100-400

Mike what's the 45-175 like?

To me the 45-175 is way beyond its price point,it has a couple of quirks though,the zoom is fly by wire i think they call it,when you turn it there is no resistance or solid stop,first few days i didnt like it but now i whish all my zooms where like that,the other is no stabilizing switch on the lens you have to turn it on or off in camera,it may sound daft but with its versatility and quality i would be hard pressed to decide between it and the 100-400.

A sample at 175 which is obviously its weakest point.

P1020945.jpg

I suppose you shouldn't use a 100-400 for this,it shows the error in my focus area :eek:

P1070734.jpg

Last edited:
To me the 45-175 is way beyond its price point,it has a couple of quirks though,the zoom is fly by wire i think they call it,when you turn it there is no resistance or solid stop,first few days i didnt like it but now i whish all my zooms where like that,the other is no stabilizing switch on the lens you have to turn it on or off in camera,it may sound daft but with its versatility and quality i would be hard pressed to decide between it and the 100-400.

A sample at 175 which is obviously its weakest point.

View attachment 72353
Thank you seems a good op though more reach would be better for my purposes, price wise there's a big difference [emoji53]

Last edited:
I've just ordered a GX8, will I be alright with using just primes, I have the 17mm Oly and the 45mm Oly and am getting the 75mm Oly.

I have the Oly 17 and 45mm f1.8's and haven't had any issues on my GX7. They're both really good lenses, the 17mm f1.8 in particular will make you think every mft lens should be built like it.

1270g for the oly 300 f4 and 985g for the panasonic 100-400, I had been considering fully changing to m43 but the overall cost including the panny zoom slowed my decision quite a bit. The olympus 300mm f4 impressed me quite a lot when i used one, but that is£2199,
The Oly is so overpriced Imo, fine for a pro who can put it on expenses, you could get the Nikon 300mm prime and a camera for less

You're right that it is expensive though and the Panasonic seems better value and probably the better option for most.

You're right that it is expensive though and the Panasonic seems better value and probably the better option for most.
Yes Id agree with that, deciding whether to take the plunge myself [emoji19] [emoji780] [emoji780]

Just wondering if anyone who has the 100-400 has tried out the x2 digital zoom with the GX8?
1600mm ff equivalent is pretty useful if it's any good
Mike? Maybe you could give it a try?

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone who has the 100-400 has tried out the x2 digital zoom with the GX8?
1600mm ff equivalent is pretty useful if it's any good
Mike? Maybe you could give it a try?

If i ever work out how to do it,tried a couple of times but no go,me and modern menus dont get on very well.:D

Just had a quick look and i think i would need to lower the quality settings,may have a look over the weekend.

Has anyone been able to compare the GX80 vf to the GX8? Wondering if there's a major difference

Back