"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Has anyone been able to compare the GX80 vf to the GX8? Wondering if there's a major difference

Big difference, gx80 uses the same EVF from the gx7 which wasn't great to start with. It's small and prone to tearing but usable. The gx8 EVF is up thre with the best of them, big, colouful and good eye relief.

Some old shots I dug up, taken with my G1 and film era 50mm f2.8. I use my MFT cameras in 4:3 mode now but back then I was using 3:2. Shots like these convinced me that my DSLR kits days were numbered. The quality you can get from this little combination still impresses me. Manual lenses seem to be rising in price but the G1 must be worth next to nothing these days and I bet a nice little G1 and old 50mm combo could be put together for under £100.

One thing I'd be interested in would be a GX7 replacement with just a couple of hardware improvements, specifically a better evf and shutter shock free shutter and other than that I'd like auto ISO with exposure compensation and dof preview in all modes but I think I'm a couple of years away from the hardware and will possibly never see the exposure compensation and dof abilities in a Panasonic body.

The rumor site has a bit of a G80 teaser here...

http://www.43rumors.com/category/rumor/

I'd also be interested in this camera as a replacement for my G7 but it'll need to be shutter shock free and I'd still like auto ISO with compo etc... and sadly it looks like the G80 will have the same stupid grip as the G7. I say stupid because I hate it so it is :D I suppose some may find it ergonomic and comfortable but it irritates the hell out of me every single time I pick the camera up, the crease is too severe and it just doesn't sit right in my hand. It's horrible - for me.

The rumor site has a bit of a G80 teaser here...

http://www.43rumors.com/category/rumor/

I'd also be interested in this camera as a replacement for my G7 but it'll need to be shutter shock free and I'd still like auto ISO with compo etc... and sadly it looks like the G80 will have the same stupid grip as the G7. I say stupid because I hate it so it is :D I suppose some may find it ergonomic and comfortable but it irritates the hell out of me every single time I pick the camera up, the crease is too severe and it just doesn't sit right in my hand. It's horrible - for me.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for but it would be nice if it had body IS and would work dual,also if the viewfinder was as good as the GX8 and AFC on BIF was as good,i dont want much.

I would kind of hope they have changed the grip too, that is one big let down for me, I honestly thought you could use exposure compensation with the auto iso on the g7.
You can't dial in exposure compensation in manual mode which is what I'd like to do. What I'd like is to be able to set the aperture and shutter and let the auto ISO float up and down and when I want to do so increase the brightness with exposure compensation. This isn't possible with my Panasonic G7 as exposure compensation just doesn't work at all in manual mode but it does with my Sony A7. My GX7 doesn't even allow auto ISO in manual mode, The Sony system makes my Panasonic cameras feel like something from 1929. Well, almost :D The advantage this offers is that I normally use aperture priority but when the light level drops the camera will select too low a shutter speed and switching to shutter priority will probably select the widest possible aperture which may not be appropriate so I switch to manual and set the aperture and shutter I want and having auto ISO with the ability to dial in compensation would complete the picture :D But I can't with my G7 :(

I suppose it would be too much to ask for but it would be nice if it had body IS and would work dual,also if the viewfinder was as good as the GX8 and AFC on BIF was as good,i dont want much.

I've never tried a GX8 but I'd be happy with a GX7 replacement with an EVF of the quality of the one on my G7. I don't know how that one compares to the GX8 but it's good enough for me.

Got a GX80 today, mainly due to 4K Photo mode.

Really doesn't look or feel as nice as my lovely silver GX7. *sob*

[QUOTE="woof woof,

I've never tried a GX8 but I'd be happy with a GX7 replacement with an EVF of the quality of the one on my G7. I don't know how that one compares to the GX8 but it's good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

I think the GX7 is close to the GX8 as far as image refresh is concerned but over all for fast work i think the GX8 has the edge.

One of the reasons I keep coming back to MFT even though I whinge is that it's a nice compact system...

Zuiko 28mm f2.8 (I don't have a 35mm) and Oly 17mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 and 25mm f1.8 and 85mm f2 and 45mm f1.8.

And today I went here with my GX7 and 14-42mm mega ois.

I picked brambles and made pies :D

Saw lots of these, whole image and 66% crop...

:D

Last edited:
Another awesome shot srhphoto.
Would be interesting to read a mini-review of your mostly used lenses and how they stack up against each other - for example one of your f8 15mm shots youve taken with your PL, how do you think your new 12-40 would stack up against it image wise, or is it all about flexibility for you and the 12-40?

Another awesome shot srhphoto.
Would be interesting to read a mini-review of your mostly used lenses and how they stack up against each other - for example one of your f8 15mm shots youve taken with your PL, how do you think your new 12-40 would stack up against it image wise, or is it all about flexibility for you and the 12-40?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I've acquired the Oly 12-40 for two main reasons - the convenience of a zoom and weather sealing. It is also widely renowned for being extremely sharp across the frame and zoom range. I doubt in most real world landscape examples if you could tell the difference at normal viewing distances between it and the PL15mm and to be honest I have no intention of trying to find out :). They're very different lenses. The 12-40 will give me more framing options for landscapes and is of course a fantastic range as a general walk around lens for family days out.

Cheers,

Simon.

I doubt in most real world landscape examples if you could tell the difference at normal viewing distances between it and the PL15mm and to be honest I have no intention of trying to find out :). They're very different lenses. The 12-40 will give me more framing options for landscapes and is of course a fantastic range as a general walk around lens for family days out.

I think that with MFT the zooms are so good that in normal viewing primes just aren't required... but I think they still have their place when the wider aperture is needed or when you want the most compact camera and lens package.

One thing that's struck me with the 14-42mm mega ois (apart from its susceptibility to shutter shock) is that it's sharp wide open and it's the size of a prime lens, the only real advantages a prime offers are therefore for shooting at wider apertures and avoiding shutter shock and / or noise banding.

When I think about the zooms I used with SLR's and DSLR's it's a different story, they're not sharp wide open but the same is very true of the primes too. We're spoilt in CSC land :D

Looks like it has the same grip as my G7, I find it uncomfortable every time I pick the camera up.

Anyway, I do hope that the camera is shutter shock free and that would be a condition of me giving Panasonic any more money and other than that I expect that it will not allow exposure compensation in all modes or constant dof preview in all modes and assuming it doesn't they will not get my money.

Every camera ever made and ever likely to be made will be a compromise.

This new G80 is shaping up to be a really interesting proposition. To me, it looks like a mini GH4 without an AA filter, the latest IBIS and shutter mechanism. 43 Rumours also now has an alleged release from B&H that says it will also have an optional battery grip. It looks really interesting :)

Simon.

Every camera ever made and ever likely to be made will be a compromise.

Well, there's compromises and then there's problems that the kit shouldn't have been brought to market with.

Apart from the SS issue which afflicts both my GX7 and G7 and specific lenses my only complaints are the G7's grip and the GX7's EVF. I can't really see any other hardware issues and I'm reasonably happy with the image quality of these cameras so all I'm looking for are fixes for those issue and apart from that improvements in use such as the EC and dof preview which could probably even be done with firmware. If these hardware and user improvements aren't offered I have no need or motivation to spend.

I couldn't agree more with that statement.
They should employ ME and then everything would be perfect :D

I take a lot of pictures like this, just colours and shapes and texture and light that catch my eye...

Wall of leaves at ISO 3200, I don't think my 5D could have done better...

I've taken these shots before and they were torture for my Canon DSLR's, the harsh light towards the sun makes metering difficult and protecting the highlights and boosting the shadows post capture would reveal noise and mush and nastiness. Easy peasy with newer non Canon kit.

Last edited:
I managed to drown my GX7 a couple of weeks ago and have been relegated to using my backup G1 (an accident with a water bottle and a canvas bag that retained the water)..

The GX8 would have been the obvious choice, but the G80/G85 without the shutter shock issues will be next.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g85-first-impressions-review

It looks like they've slightly reshaped the grip. If I see one in the shops I may see how it fits my hand (I find the G7 uncomfortable to hold, the crease in the grip is too severe) and it'd be nice to see if the evf is any better but I have to say that I'm unlikely to buy this camera.

Last edited:
The G80 looks pretty interesting - seems to tick most boxes !

What's the 12-60 lens like ? It's a very useful range - perfect imo

The G80 looks pretty interesting - seems to tick most boxes !
Spec looks ok and weather sealing is nice and at last they're trying to stop ss but I'll be surprised if there's any real word improvement in iq over current cameras.

Back