"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Galaxy66 said:
Julian could be tempted IIRC.

Yep I'm going to order the OM-D body only in black, just holding out a bit longer to see if more details of G5 come through, but really want the 5 axis in body IS of the Oly

rugeyes said:
A week or so back two or three of you got fisheyes, any reports back? How are you getting on with them? Any pics to show?

Not really got to use my fisheye, quick play that's all nothing to report back from me as yet

go to the site, you might have selected widows to remember your password .............l

Great advice, I have a widow living by me, just off to see her with all my passwords....... :naughty:

Allan

A week or so back two or three of you got fisheyes, any reports back? How are you getting on with them? Any pics to show?

There are a few on my Flickr in a set.

Last edited:
Just been reading dpreview's preview of the OM-D, and it mentions that the G3 doesn't have a sensor to switch between VF and screen? Is that really true? It has one in the G1 - why would they take away a feature like that?

Just been reading dpreview's preview of the OM-D, and it mentions that the G3 doesn't have a sensor to switch between VF and screen? Is that really true? It has one in the G1 - why would they take away a feature like that?

That is true and personally I miss that feature but others can find the feature annoying.

thanks, but I was hoping for some input from current top end model users.

I have the GH1 atm and with 20mm f1.7 I think I could easily live with iso1600 using raw. although I would probably want to use 4000+ as well. seeing that the new models are very good in high iso was just wondering if someone is using them in full confidence in such situations.

I'm thinking the similar but to use manual focus to compliment my 5D2.

There are lots of fast manual focus primes available. 50mm 1.4 can be had for £60-90 and 135mm 2.5/2.8 gives you 270mm eqv. And then Samyang 85mm 1.4 it's retails about £250 that's a 170mm eqv. at 1.4

I'm currently using G3 but thinking of moving E-M5 so my manual focus lens would gain IS! If Pany add in body IS and AF confirm then it may attract users back.

That is true and personally I miss that feature but others can find the feature annoying.

I switch the featur to manual on my G1 anyway. Its a pain when using the camera/screen (box camera style), pull the camera to the body for better suport and the screen goes out! I use my G1 a lot in this way, easpecialy when close up or for low angles. The old bones are not as supple to get down and dirty these days!

CJS

After selling a few bits and pieces in the classifieds here in an attempt to send some little used items to a good home where they'll be used I think I'm going to be left with a couple of compacts, a LX5, a 5D and seven lenses (these may need pruning) and a G1 with 14-42mm, 20mm f1.7 and Voigtlander 25mm f0.95.

I'm not too sure what to do next. I'm thinking of selling all the MFT kit (or maybe keeping the G1+20mm) and getting a X Pro 1 or possibly a Nex 7 and both seem to have their problems so another possibility is going for a G3 and using my existing MFT lenses.

So I just wondered if anyone here has gone from a G1 to a G3 and if so what image quality advantages are there? Has anyone tried a X Pro 1 or Nex 7 and if so how do you think they compare to MFT?

woof woof said:
After selling a few bits and pieces in the classifieds here in an attempt to send some little used items to a good home where they'll be used I think I'm going to be left with a couple of compacts, a LX5, a 5D and seven lenses (these may need pruning) and a G1 with 14-42mm, 20mm f1.7 and Voigtlander 25mm f0.95.

I'm not too sure what to do next. I'm thinking of selling all the MFT kit (or maybe keeping the G1+20mm) and getting a X Pro 1 or possibly a Nex 7 and both seem to have their problems so another possibility is going for a G3 and using my existing MFT lenses.

So I just wondered if anyone here has gone from a G1 to a G3 and if so what image quality advantages are there? Has anyone tried a X Pro 1 or Nex 7 and if so how do you think they compare to MFT?

Although the xpro1 has great image quality, fuji seem to have major flaws. No camera is perfect but at over £2k with a lens is an insane amount of money. The decent Sony lenses are also serious money in my view

you haven't considered omd ?

Not really. I don't know if it'll be significantly better than a G3 and as I'm used to the way Pany do things if staying with MFT I thought I'd stick with Pany. Maybe I should have a think about it.

Although the xpro1 has great image quality, fuji seem to have major flaws. No camera is perfect but at over £2k with a lens is an insane amount of money. The decent Sony lenses are also serious money in my view

I'm lucky enough not to have to worry about money, I can spend as much as my conscience allows (and while my gf is working abroad...) and although an M9 is affordable my conscience will be happier with a £2k buy :)

I like the look of the Fuji and the lenses look good and I'd start with the 35mm f1.4 but the lack of diopter adjustment worries me. The Nex 7 looks good but there's not a single Sony E mount lens I'd want to buy as some don't have the length/aperture I'm looking for and some are really more bulky that I'd have hoped so that means going for a manual lens or the Sigma 30mm f2.8 and hope that someone brings out a similar length but f1.4. I really need to find somewhere that has them in stock.

I'm in the same boat. Trying out an x100 and if that doesn't do it for me then perhaps the OMd or X1 pro. I just don't get along with my GH2 despite the photos looking fine

X100 looks good but you've only got the one slightly wide lens. If having only one lens I think I'd rather have something slightly longer, maybe a 40/50mm equiv.

This is a 100% crop from my G1, taken today, f2, 1/125 sec.

_1050709-100c.jpg

Less severe crop...

_1050709c1.jpg

It's not really the quality of photos but more the feel of the camera when using it. I just don't enjoy it as much. I am coming from FF a850 though so that's probably why. I definitely need something smaller now though as lugging my a850, 85g, 35g and 200g around is too much.

Yeah. I have a 5D and mostly use it with and only take with me a 50 or 85mm f1.4 because of the bulk and weight issues.

I'm leaning towards a Nex 7 because of size/weight but I could always carry the Fuji in a small bag... my 35mm rangefinders and compacts mostly were not pocketable.

I'll probably keep the G1 or a G3 as well though.

It is indeed. It's a good lens. There's a little CA but it doesn't spoil it.

Last edited:
well ive been reading through alot of these pages now as im thinking of making a semi switch if not full switch over to the m4/3.

it seems like alot of people make the switch from a full on dslr to the much more compact m4/3 due to the size/weight.

i currently have a Sony A200 w/ grip, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, kit lens and a HVL-F42AM flash and to be honest it doesnt get used half as much as id like due to the weight/size.

now im not really sure how much my kit is worth but im thinking i could possibly get £180 for the Flash & 50mm which i could purchase a GF1 with and then add a little on top to get the 20mm panny.

this would at least get me more mobile and i could still have the a200 to fall back on.

i know the GF1 is older now. but the GX1 is out of my price range unfortunately, but it seems as if it produces some incredible images. i have also read that iso800+ leaves much to be desired but to be fair my a200 isnt too great in these realms too.

now with the thousand different m4/3's cameras available is this a good choice? i love the price of the GF3 w/ kit x lens but im not sure i like the compactness of it.

would love to here some comments on it and whether those who have switched feel as if theyve done the right thing.

I went for an older model when I switched over and I don't regret it at all. I got the G1 which was the first one of the series that came out I think, but its still fantastic. I chose it over the GF1 as I prefer to have a viewfinder like my DSLR had rather than having to rely on the screen all the time.
I haven't even hit the primes yet, I'm running with the 14-45mm and the 45-200mm, but I'm more than happy with the results from it. I'm getting the pictures that I want and I'm also using the camera a lot more as its less of a burden to carry around.

Mandoo said:
I went for an older model when I switched over and I don't regret it at all. I got the G1 which was the first one of the series that came out I think, but its still fantastic. I chose it over the GF1 as I prefer to have a viewfinder like my DSLR had rather than having to rely on the screen all the time.
I haven't even hit the primes yet, I'm running with the 14-45mm and the 45-200mm, but I'm more than happy with the results from it. I'm getting the pictures that I want and I'm also using the camera a lot more as its less of a burden to carry around.

That's the problem I have now. I love my a200 but honestly cant be arsed to carry it around with me half the time due to its size.

I would get the 20mm to keep the size down even more (without venturing into the p&s size of the gf3)

Could anyone tell me the rouge price gf1's go for on here? Being a noob I can't see into the classifieds :(

That's the problem I have now. I love my a200 but honestly cant be arsed to carry it around with me half the time due to its size.

I would get the 20mm to keep the size down even more (without venturing into the p&s size of the gf3)

Could anyone tell me the rouge price gf1's go for on here? Being a noob I can't see into the classifieds :(

They seem to go for £130 to 150ish then the lens on top a 20mm is likely to put £220 on top a 14-42 £80ish. There is one for sale at the moment with a 20mm lens and case for £400 (I am trying to do a deal on the lens:D) so if that goes through it could be cheaper with the 14-42mm zoom that I am offering in PX.

Have you looked at the Panasonic offer for the GF3 at £250 with a 14mm lens and Lightroom 3

gf1 - a good one just went for 160 delivered and I think it's a good price.
20mm - that one doesn't come up often (due to being great) - about 230 ?!

a200 is good but any panasonic will I think be much better . as for about 180 you can get g2 with video as well. I used to have a200 (also gripped with 24-70 + 56 flash, so I know how much did it weight :D ) and the built quality on my gh1 is much better although gh is the pro series.

They seem to go for £130 to 150ish then the lens on top a 20mm is likely to put £220 on top a 14-42 £80ish. There is one for sale at the moment with a 20mm lens and case for £400 (I am trying to do a deal on the lens:D) so if that goes through it could be cheaper with the 14-42mm zoom that I am offering in PX.

Have you looked at the Panasonic offer for the GF3 at £250 with a 14mm lens and Lightroom 3

that's a great deal !

would certainly get it if I didn't already have the 14mm :(

petehb said:

Yeh, I've seen that deal and I might add it is a cracking deal. I don't mean to offend anyone but the gf3 seems a bit too amateur ish if that makes sense.
Can anyone who has this comment or change my views? Has anyone switched from a full size dslr to this?

Personally I'd go for a GF1 over a GF3 if you want to retain more manual controls. Most things are there on the GF3 but not as easy to operate. The sensor is the same so there isn't much difference in the actual images.

The GX1 is a cracking camera, if you can be patient and save a bit more then I'd say it's worth the extra (I moved from a GF1 to GX1 recently).

Whichever one you pick, you'll be able to get some great photos and they're pretty easy to sell later (the GF3 perhaps a bit trickier to sell than GF1) if you decide to upgrade.

Yeh, I've seen that deal and I might add it is a cracking deal. I don't mean to offend anyone but the gf3 seems a bit too amateur ish if that makes sense.
Can anyone who has this comment or change my views? Has anyone switched from a full size dslr to this?

It's horses for courses I bought the GX1 as a camera that I could carry unobtrusively virtually all the time, whilst I doubt that it will under scrutiny and pixel peeping compare with my DSLR and some of it's lenses a pic true of lower "quality" is better than no picture. Some of the reviews confirm that it is suitable for pro use.

Yeh, the GF1 would be my preferred choice and I'm by no means ruling out the GF3(at that price new)

GX1 is dream land really. Unless I completely sell up and move over which I don't know if I want to do.

I didn't realise the gf1's went for so much though. I was thinking more around the hundred mark looking at some recent eBay endings.

They've been a bit closer to the hundred mark on ebay definitely. I've been looking at them myself.
I paid £98 for my G1 body on ebay and I'm just so happy with it.

Mandoo said:
They've been a bit closer to the hundred mark on ebay definitely. I've been looking at them myself.
I paid £98 for my G1 body on ebay and I'm just so happy with it.

I just re-looked and they were going for what you said, god knows what I was looking at earlier.

I've been looking at oly's too but for some reason they don't stand out as much for me although they can be had for my budget.

I'm thinking the 20mm is out of my range for now though. Could have swore I've seen them go for £100 ish at the end of last year.

The gf3 kit with 14mm is looking like the most cost effective option but gf1 & gf2 looks more sturdy.

What's the differences between 1's & 2's?

joelk2 said:
The gf3 kit with 14mm is looking like the most cost effective option but gf1 & gf2 looks more sturdy.

What's the differences between 1's & 2's?
I think the sensors are the same, but the 2 has a touchscreen and shifts a lot of the external controls from the 1 to touchscreen, and I believe loses the flash sync socket. The 3 keeps similar controls, but is smaller and loses the hotshoe as well. Other than that there's little in it, but am sure someone will update if I've missed anything (y)

Oh, and pretty sure the 20mm has always been that pricey, I watched used prices for months before getting frustrated and buying one new :)

I think the sensors are the same, but the 2 has a touchscreen and shifts a lot of the external controls from the 1 to touchscreen, and I believe loses the flash sync socket. The 3 keeps similar controls, but is smaller and loses the hotshoe as well. Other than that there's little in it, but am sure someone will update if I've missed anything (y)

Oh, and pretty sure the 20mm has always been that pricey, I watched used prices for months before getting frustrated and buying one new :)

thanks,

im not sure how much id really use the hotshoe and sync socket btu im guessing it would be good to have them regardless.

will keep looking for now i guess. but the gf3 kit is looking more and more attractive

gf1 - a good one just went for 160 delivered and I think it's a good price.

I've just sold mine posted for £130 which I thought was bordering on cheap but looking at what dealers are selling them for I think it's reasonable. Mine is as new with a low shutter count but dealers give a warranty and have overheads so if they're charging £150-175 or so I suppose a private sale should be a little less.

Last edited:
I've just sold mine posted for £130 which I thought was bordering on cheap but looking at what dealers are selling them for I think it's reasonable. Mine is as new with a low shutter count but dealers give a warranty and have overheads so if they're charging £150-175 or so I suppose a private sale should be a little less.

thats good to know, shame the 20mm's go for so much.

it appears that i may have been thinking of the oly 17mm's that go for the £100 mark. (little over maybe)

hmm, decisions decisions.

now. how to convince the wife that i need a cam. i guess i better sell off the flash and 50mm to see how much i can actually get for them.

yours was the one I was referring to. made the mistake about 160 to 130. I saw one with 2 new batteries and itself mint go for 139 on the bay. I managed to convince myself that I don't need it :D

I loved my GF1 when I first bought it but shooting with the screen isn't really for me. I like the oiption of using the screen if I want... but mostly use the VF.

G1's seem to go for a little less than GF1's. I bought my G1 here a while ago for £125 as far as I remember. I think I've seen them go for less since. If you spot a bargain G1 or G2 they're worth thinking about IMVHO.

thats good to know, shame the 20mm's go for so much.

it appears that i may have been thinking of the oly 17mm's that go for the £100 mark. (little over maybe)

hmm, decisions decisions.

now. how to convince the wife that i need a cam. i guess i better sell off the flash and 50mm to see how much i can actually get for them.

the oly doesn't get to great reviews though. it's not rubbish but 14mm f2.5 is much better.

yours was the one I was referring to. made the mistake about 160 to 130. I saw one with 2 new batteries and itself mint go for 139 on the bay. I managed to convince myself that I don't need it :D

I'd rather buy from here than ebay. Much less risk IMVHO.

I've given up with ebay. I haven't bought much but every single private sale was faulty or damaged in some way and not described as such.

Back