"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Still can't decide between the G80 and the Sony a6300

G80 in Jessops is £699, minus £100 trade in + free battery grip.

A6300 is £989 from Digital Rev.

Starting to think the G80 makes more sense as I already have a G5 and a few lenses, it's a good deal and I'll have a UK warranty. I just know it's gonna be worse in some ways that I'd like though, such as the low light and AF and I really wanna learn shooting video in log and colour grading.

I stick with it be because on balance it still works better than the alternatives apart from the low light and artificial light issues. It's a compact system with a good range of lenses and the x2 crop is often an advantage for me. I'm also quite heavily invested with 3 bodies and... quite a few lenses.

The closest competitor for me is the Sony A6xxx which would offer user features that I would benefit from but I'd lose the very compact package, including the lenses and in particular the 35mm equiv as the Sony 24mm although a very nice lens results in a packagd which is rather too chunky for me. I'd also lose the tilting evf.

At the moment mft is a partner for my A7 and I use both systems. I can't see any A7 series camera replacing mft for me as the physics just wont allow it with todays technology. Ditto mft can't replace my A7 so I use both.

My background is in electronics and products and systems and it's part of my nature to question and test and unfortunately at the moment there's much in mft land for me to critisise but I do also highlight the positives and advantages in this and othef threads.

I bow to your superior Google skills :)

No skill at all mate, you just didn't try did you :D

I have an G7 and apart from the inexcusable shambles of the shutter shock issue and the minor irritation of what for me is a very uncomfortable grip I'm pretty happy with everything else but as it looks like G7's and GX7's are virtually worthless on the 2nd hand market it'll be a long time until I trust Panny again and buy another new camera off them.

No skill at all mate, you just didn't try did you :D

I have an G7 and apart from the inexcusable shambles of the shutter shock issue and the minor irritation of what for me is a very uncomfortable grip I'm pretty happy with everything else but as it looks like G7's and GX7's are virtually worthless on the 2nd hand market it'll be a long time until I trust Panny again and buy another new camera off them.

That is a concern - when you say worthless what do you mean ? Is that solely due to the shutter shock issues ?

Probably not a good idea to buy when its just released then - problem is I don't have a camera now !

We may as well close this thread now,every potential Panasonic purchaser gets put off,yes i do understand your frustration i had it with my Tamron 150-600 do a search on focus freeze on google and my complaining may still come up but there comes a time to let it go.IMO

That is a concern - when you say worthless what do you mean ? Is that solely due to the shutter shock issues ?

Probably not a good idea to buy when its just released then - problem is I don't have a camera now !

This camera is high on my interest list,just waiting for reports on focus and EVF refresh rate with AFC in action situations,i will not be parting with my GX8 as its such a joy to use with the adjustable angle EVF.
It would be nice for the price to drop a bit as well:D

This camera is high on my interest list,just waiting for reports on focus and EVF refresh rate with AFC in action situations,i will not be parting with my GX8 as its such a joy to use with the adjustable angle EVF.
It would be nice for the price to drop a bit as well:D
Same here, I think this will be a huge move forward on any 'shutter shock' issues according to the reviews I've read so far, 90% reduction appears to be the claim.
Mind you the price isn't bad if you factor in the free grip that's on offer via Panasonic but I'm sure it will come down once the initial interest dies down.

Same here, I think this will be a huge move forward on any 'shutter shock' issues according to the reviews I've read so far, 90% reduction appears to be the claim.
Mind you the price isn't bad if you factor in the free grip that's on offer via Panasonic but I'm sure it will come down once the initial interest dies down.

From past experience, take off somewhere near the normal value of whatever launch 'freebie' is included and you're somewhere near where the retail price will settle back to (or at least not too far away from it!).

Cheers,

Simon.

Well I picked up a G80 today with the 12-60 lens....

Battery needs a charge but its a nice thing to hold - grip is a very good size indeed.

If I can take photos like Simons above I will be happy !!

Last edited:

Battery needs a charge but its a nice think to hold - grip is a very good size indeed.

Very nice,most of us would be happy if we could take pictures like Simon :D

Battery needs a charge but its a nice thing to hold - grip is a very good size indeed.

You just don't see the duffers I take LOL, but thank you for the compliment :)

Really interested to hear your thoughts on the G80 and the 12-60mm lens. The camera looks superb on paper.

Cheers,

Simon.

My G80 kit is still showing pre-order, where did you get yours from?

Can anyone recommend a nice sharp, cheap and light telephoto lens to pair with the 12-60?

Was thinking about the 35-100 f4 but it would overlap quite a bit ...

Can anyone recommend a nice sharp, cheap and light telephoto lens to pair with the 12-60?

Was thinking about the 35-100 f4 but it would overlap quite a bit ...

Have a look at the Panny 45-150mm lens (£169 from Jessops). Like a lot of m4/3 lenses, it punches above its weight. I have it, and all of the images in the following album were taken with it: -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/srhmoto/albums/72157667638201263

Like a lot of the cheaper zoom lenses, it does soften a little towards the long end, but the results are still more than acceptable. Between 45 and 120mm, I find it very good indeed. It has no weather sealing of any kind.

Cheers,

Simon.

Ime very happy with the 45-175 the three images in my last image post where from it.

Still finding my way around the G80 - I've got a question which I cant find an answer to in the manual...
Its regarding when you set a filter on either the Screen mode or Art mode i.e Monochrome but you decide you would like to look at other filters how do you get back into the selection menu ??
The only way I can do it at the moment is by turning the command dial to another setting and then back again ??
Hope this makes sense !
thanks

We may as well close this thread now,every potential Panasonic purchaser gets put off,yes i do understand your frustration i had it with my Tamron 150-600 do a search on focus freeze on google and my complaining may still come up but there comes a time to let it go.IMO

It's not a question of putting people off but being honest and providing information... or are only closed mind fanboys allowed to post gushingly?

Jesus. Am I "talking" to adults here or 5 year olds?

Look, the shutter shock issue is a real issue if you have an affected body and lens combination and honest information helps people make informed decisions. Fanboy denial doesn't help anyone and should be left in the playground. For God Sake.

And a PS. I've been with MFT since the first camera and I'm still with it but providing honest info and opinion comes first and although I now know the limitations and issues shutter shock brings anyone looking at the system without being fully informed could pay a lot for the learning process. It's better to be informed and make an informed decision.

Last edited:
It's not a question of putting people off but being honest and providing information... or are only closed mind fanboys allowed to post gushingly?

Jesus. Am I "talking" to adults here or 5 year olds?

Look, the shutter shock issue is a real issue if you have an affected body and lens combination and honest information helps people make informed decisions. Fanboy denial doesn't help anyone and should be left in the playground. For God Sake.

And a PS. I've been with MFT since the first camera and I'm still with it but providing honest info and opinion comes first and although I now know the limitations and issues shutter shock brings anyone looking at the system without being fully informed could pay a lot for the learning process. It's better to be informed and make an informed decision.

Dont want to get into a mud slinging match and nothing to do with fanboy mentality but even when people talk about buying a none affected model you still bring it up,as i say i have suffered the frustration of a lens with design problems so i know its frustrating what i dont do though is post about it when people are asking about the newer model.life moves on.

Dont want to get into a mud slinging match and nothing to do with fanboy mentality but even when people talk about buying a none affected model you still bring it up,as i say i have suffered the frustration of a lens with design problems so i know its frustrating what i dont do though is post about it when people are asking about the newer model.life moves on.

Deep sigh... I'm not into mud slinging or wasting my time with petty on line arguments and it pains me to reply to you again on this and after this it's closed with you as far as I'm concerned.

I've posted over 1,000 times in this thread and by far the vast majority have been positive and always open and honest and If you follow the post back I made a series of replies to that poster who directly asked about SS.

Yes life moves on but new guys looking at the system may not know what the issues are. I don't think this issue hasn't been covered enough in this thread and as a long time MFT user I certainly would have spent my money differently if I'd known about SS and other little issues (specifically the field sequential EVF.) On the SS issue I still don't know exactly what body and lens combinations are affected and if it's that confusing for me I'm sure it's a minefield for anyone just getting in.

Over time this will resolve itself at least on the new market as the new models come out (G8 and GX80 and hopefully from now on) but I do think that even when buying used kit the SS and compatibility issues it raises need to be understood and thought about.

I have been searching but if any one comes across any info on the G80 as to its AFC ability and EVF refresh rate for action shots i would appreciate a link.

Keep looking to get back to MFT think I am going to wait for the G80 to come down in price a bit.

AFC is normally pretty decent on Panasonic. EVF is always gonna be a compromise for Sports so if that's your primary reason for buying, stick to something with an optical. I have a Fuji X/T2 and even though it's got a great EVF, the blackout is still there. Lucky Sports is a once in a blue moon thing for me as I'm too competitive not to play in them! Haha

AFC is normally pretty decent on Panasonic. EVF is always gonna be a compromise for Sports so if that's your primary reason for buying, stick to something with an optical. I have a Fuji X/T2 and even though it's got a great EVF, the blackout is still there. Lucky Sports is a once in a blue moon thing for me as I'm too competitive not to play in them! Haha

EVF black out on something like the GX8 is a none event really,i can keep up with BIF no problem,it just needs setting up right.

To expand a little more ime very happy with the GX8s ability for nature action shots,the only problem i have is catching the buttons on the back and changing things,if the G80 can match my GX8 then ime hoping the different grip style will keep my mits off the buttons,a BIF from the GX8.

29581775730_792b4b2b0c_b.jpg

Back