"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I don't know LR at all but maybe there's an option to discard camera raw settings? If not then what I'd do is tweak the raw settings and save them as a custom setting and then batch apply it. That's what I do with CS5 and I think that MFT is and always has been capable of capturing very life like pictures.
It's getting the tweaked settings right to apply them that's baffling me so far. As I mentioned I think LR applies some predetermined settings as the default raw import, rather than a genuine raw file.

I think I've made a bit of progress and got a pillar box looking Pillar Box Red instead of some strange hue! Now to photograph some other shades of red. Fingers crossed.

This is an untouched 'raw' file straight to jpeg. Yuk.

View attachment 101340

This is tweaked.

View attachment 101341

I'm a GX8 user and process in LR and PS CC. I have to say I don't recognise what's been described above. When I import raw files into LR, the initial preview shows the embedded JPEG and whatever picture style settings I had at the time of capture. However, once fully loaded the raw file preview is very flat and lacking contrast which is exactly the starting point I need.
Exactly my experience with the GX80. If anything I'd like it to start with a little more contrast and saturation.

Last edited:
Exactly my experience with the GX80. If anything I'd like it to start with a little more contrast and saturation.

You can have my contrast and saturation if you like!

I've knocked the default contrast back to -30 and things are looking a bit better.

Decided to treat myself to a Panasonic 25mm f1.7 lens, a discount voucher from Wex persuaded me! Just waiting for it to arrive now

Is anyone using slot in grad filters with their micro four thirds kit? If so what have you got and do you have any pictures using it, please?

I'm looking to buy a 100mm ND grad but wasn't sure if it the filters are too big for a soft grad to be effectively used.

Is anyone using slot in grad filters with their micro four thirds kit? If so what have you got and do you have any pictures using it, please?

I'm looking to buy a 100mm ND grad but wasn't sure if it the filters are too big for a soft grad to be effectively used.

Hi Sam.

I'm currently using the 67mm Formatt HiTech system with my GX8. It works extremely well (my most recent photo posted to this thread was taken using it), but I would buy bigger 100mm filters if starting again, and will probably slowly move in that direction as funds allow. The reasons for this are three fold.

Firstly, I now have an Olympus 7-14mm UWA that dictates use of at least 100mm filters due to its FoV. This effectively rules out the Lee 75mm filters for me. Secondly, the 67mm system vignettes below around 15mm when using two filter slots plus a polariser on my Oly 12-40mm. Finally, I find myself using exposure blending techniques more and more often, so my main interest is slowly becoming more about mounting solid ND filters and polarisers rather than ND grads.

If you look around the web, quite a few people will advise using hard grads on larger filter systems with m4/3 to make the transition section smaller and easier to manage.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSB
@srhmoto thanks for the detailed reply. I was considering a hard grad over the soft grad I used when I was shooting with my 550D. I'll do some shopping & post back with my results.

I am using the Hitech 85mm system, no signs of vignette at 14mm with two filters and a polariser.

Right, here are a few pics taken by my daughter (aged 11) using my dad's 100-400 lens. We spent time after dinner in an editing session, showing her the ropes of elements. These are all G7 jpegs

caitlins bempton cliffs #25 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

caitlins bempton cliffs #23 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

caitlins bempton cliffs #22 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

caitlins bempton cliffs #13 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I borrowed it briefly and had a quick go at a gif (ganet in flight)

ganet g7 #1 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And whilst I'm posting how's this for a good deal on the g80

Amazing shot there Simon. Really nice and sharp and great subject. Show's how good micro 4/3rds can really be.

Michael23 some nice sharp shots there. They look really good your daughter has captured some nice images. As for the deal on the G80 don't tempt me.

I do like coming back to this thread and reminding myself how capable micro 4/3rds system really is.

Right, here are a few pics taken by my daughter (aged 11) using my dad's 100-400 lens. We spent time after dinner in an editing session, showing her the ropes of elements. These are all G7 jpegs

caitlins bempton cliffs #25 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

caitlins bempton cliffs #23 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

caitlins bempton cliffs #22 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

caitlins bempton cliffs #13 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I borrowed it briefly and had a quick go at a gif (ganet in flight)

ganet g7 #1 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And whilst I'm posting how's this for a good deal on the g80
Some excellent images there. Your daughter is already a very talented photographer. Well done!

I'm thinking of getting in to bird photography, and am currently in the market for a long zoom to use with my GX7 and GX8,

I've looked online at the Panasonic 100-300 and Olympus 75-300, are there others i could consider, my budget is around £500.

How do they perform at the top end of the zoom?

What size tripods is everyone using with there micro 4/3rds system? Trying to decide if my Manfrotto 190 is too big or to keep it for when I'm not going a great distance

What size tripods is everyone using with there micro 4/3rds system? Trying to decide if my Manfrotto 190 is too big or to keep it for when I'm not going a great distance

I use a MeFOTO Roadtrip Ian. Great tripod and a good compromise between weight and stability.

Simon.

A few months ago, I managed to pick up a Redged TCA-522k, aluminium tripod with built in ball head. Much lighter than my old Giottos. Although I've only used it so far with my Canon 80d, I have absolutely no doubt that it will be an excellent take anywhere tripod for my G80. As far as I am concerned it is a very well put together/quality bit of kit. Stuart

Last edited:
I use a MeFOTO Roadtrip Ian. Great tripod and a good compromise between weight and stability.

Simon.

I also have a Giottos travel tripod which is similar size to the MeFoto roadtrip. Being carbon fibre it's also about 1kg lighter than my Manfrotto but feels no way near as stable. Do you hang anything from the centre hook to stabilise it?

My G7 looks a bit lost atop the Manfrotto.

Last edited:
I also have a Giottos travel tripod which is similar size to the MeFoto roadtrip. Being carbon fibre it's also about 1kg lighter than my Manfrotto but feels no way near as stable. Do you hang anything from the centre hook to stabilise it?

My G7 looks a bit lost atop the Manfrotto.

Yep, I usually hang my bag from it. I have had zero stability problems with it, including shooting in some pretty strong winds.

Simon.

Yep, I usually hang my bag from it. I have had zero stability problems with it, including shooting in some pretty strong winds.

Simon.

Might be time to put my Manfrotto in the classifieds and keep my Giotto's tripod.

Really impressed with your work by the way, started to follow you on Flickr, some really inspirational work and proof what micro 4/3rds is capable of.

Really impressed with your work by the way, started to follow you on Flickr, some really inspirational work and proof what micro 4/3rds is capable of.

Thanks Ian, that's really appreciated, and very kind of you to say.

Simon :)

A thread about shutter shock prompts me to post...

The first time I saw shutter shock was with my GX7 and 14-42mm Mega OIS in shots I took at our local Butterfly World. We went back yesterday and I had my GX7 again but this time with the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 and I'm very happy with the results. My GF likes to send pictures to her family and friends oversees so my shots are saved at 2000 pixels wide and saved as quality 10 (rather than 12) from PS5 and zapped off electronically.

Whole images.

View attachment 102982

View attachment 102983

View attachment 102984

View attachment 102985

Last edited:
I don't just dislike gnomes, I absolutely hate them with a vengeance (a fact that it now appears is well known to at least one of my neighbours!).
So imagine my shock/horror/downright distress to discover the following in my garden when i got home from the shops today. They weren't there at 11.30am, but they were there by 1pm!!!!

P1030530-2.jpg

On a more serious note, it did at least enable me to take some shots with my newly acquired G80 and Panasonic 25mm F1.7. This is proving to be a great little lens.
I'm aware that the colours don't look quite right and I haven't spent much time adjusting them in LR.

Oh dear, they do look a rum lot.

In my GF's home town there are roadside stalls stuffed with thousands of these things. This is the only shot I have taken with a Panasonic MFT, GX7 with 20mm f1.7.

1-P1000264.JPG

Last edited:
This I took in Kent caverns yesterday, the only light in the cavern for a while, hand held and electronic shutter.

The face and the Manaquin also hand held in little light, my Nikon would missed these shots for sure.
IMG_20170528_193145_452.jpgIMG_20170528_193012_231.jpgIMG_20170528_193344_451.jpg

Would anyone have 1st hand experience of using a 14-45 on one of the Panasonic bodies with IBIS? I have a G80 and am looking for a short zoom to use alongside my 25mm. The 14-45s often come up (not on here though!) for sensible money but am wondering what the main downsides would be compared to a more modern lens. I understand that it has variable aperture and will never get "dual IS" but are there any other potential issue which I should consider? For example, does the continuous AF in movie mode work OK; how is AF speed generally, etc.
Many thanks for any help.

A shot from yesterday, GX7 and 12-35mm f2.8 at ISO 4000...

View attachment 103230

A 66.67% crop from that one...

a-P1090849-C.jpg

I think that's really good for ISO 4000 :D

Also spotted this little guy.

View attachment 103232

His right eye looks cloudy and at first I thought there was something wrong with the shot but I caught him again with both eyes visible and the other looks normal so I suppose he has a cataract or something but the good news is that it didn't seem to be impairing him.

Last edited:
Would anyone have 1st hand experience of using a 14-45 on one of the Panasonic bodies with IBIS? I have a G80 and am looking for a short zoom to use alongside my 25mm. The 14-45s often come up (not on here though!) for sensible money but am wondering what the main downsides would be compared to a more modern lens. I understand that it has variable aperture and will never get "dual IS" but are there any other potential issue which I should consider? For example, does the continuous AF in movie mode work OK; how is AF speed generally, etc.
I use it on my G5... So no IBIS and I do almost no video so can't really answer these. However the focus is as fast as any other lens i.e. very fast.

My first images with the GH5. I'm not sure I would like to use the camera as a main camera for this kind of shooting .The blackout between shots in the viewfinder makes it difficult to follow the action properly. I suppose it's something you would get used to in time. The video quality is excellent apart from a bit of juddering when panning the camera fast. I need to try a few different things to see if I can minimise that (much worse than when shooting 4K on the 5DMK4).
These were shot with the Panny 100-300 Mk2. It seems to be a great little lens IQ wise.
World superbikes at Donington last weekend.

My first couple of videos are also up at:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk9wV9hU_-A

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW-wS_nO6n8

i-ThRJP4N-XL.jpg

i-7GCXNKJ-XL.jpg

i-H7C4P8W-XL.jpg

cheers
Gary

Used the lens in the past on a G6 focusing speed was good for stills. No idea of movie mode as never used it. Though if your looking for a 14-45 MPB photographic have one in stock and Ffordes have several.

I'm thinking of getting in to bird photography, and am currently in the market for a long zoom to use with my GX7 and GX8,

I've looked online at the Panasonic 100-300 and Olympus 75-300, are there others i could consider, my budget is around £500.

How do they perform at the top end of the zoom?

Just seen this,i would look at the MK11 version of the 100-300,you get dual IS and DFD focus speed assistance.

Perhaps someone can help me out here. A friend has a GX8. If you set the camera up lets say ISO800, burst mode, 13 point AF can you then set all these as C1,C2 or C3 so that the camera reverts to these settings when that custom mode is selected? Thanks in advance.

Back