"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Your getting better weather than is here! Though it is a bit brighter today, must out out some feed

grey again here today but better promised over weekend

Nice! no chance of one of them visiting our garden. We get tits - dependent on how they feel which type, sparrow, starling, finch - again, depending - I have a soft spot for greenies but not seen any yet - crows/jackdaws/magpies etc I chase off, tw@ts do try to cling to the feeders and often pull them down with their weight! We also get a few doves and blackbirds, which i don't mind as they seem to prefer the left overs scattered on the ground.

Seriously thinking of moving to MFT only now, I would not of sold the G7 if I could of got a grip as Cagey75 suggested, (thanks, its a real pity they do not make one for the G7). So now I am looking at the G80 with 12-60 and an aftermarket grip.
So any comments on the G80? Whats the Panasonic 12-60 like? and anyone using an aftermarket grip? Any opinions, anyone?

Forgive the amateurish snap shots compared with the quality on here. These were taken with the newly bought GX8 and kit supplied Panasonic 12 - 60 a few weeks back at Castle Coombe (ADI) but hopefully this will give you an idea. Still on a steep learning curve with the new camera but hope the pics help show the lens quality.

fullsizeoutput_17f7_zpsioj2cusa.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_17fd_zpsyooyyklr.jpeg

Not sure how this last one will look but it's a heavily cropped image over 100%.

fullsizeoutput_180b_zps87kwmuwq.jpeg

Quality Ian

I love this time of year for the wee birds :) I'm not the biggest fan of the Starlings, they come in packs and bully the smaller birds off the feeders, I do put some seed on a make-shift bird table for them, but they swoop in and take the lot in no time. I can't use ground feed as we have 2 Kitties, they think the feeders are traps I've set to help them!

Last edited:
Quality Ian

Cheers Jeff

I love this time of year for the wee birds :) I'm not the biggest fan of the Starlings, they come in packs and bully the smaller birds off the feeders, I do put some seed on a make-shift bird table for them, but they swoop in and take the lot in no time. I can't use ground feed as we have 2 Kitties, they think the feeders are traps I've set to help them!

We get a rabble of squabbling Starlings in the garden most days, but plenty of small birds on the feeders also. I need to position some suitable perches so I can get some decent shots.

We get a rabble of squabbling Starlings in the garden most days, but plenty of small birds on the feeders also. I need to position some suitable perches so I can get some decent shots.

I don't mind the odd one, they have to eat too, but they are such bullies! If more than a few land and push the others out, I open the window and they scatter, if it's just one or two grabbing a few nuts, I'll let them at it.

Like this loner -
Starling by K G, on Flickr

This is on my make-shift bird table - basically a blue foam board I found end of the garden atop a wheelie bin :D I can move it to wherever I need to get the shot, atm it's direct across from the kitchen window, though they can clearly see me, need to find a better spot.

There is an Ash tree over to the right, it's hard to get shots from inside of them landing on that [don't have the reach atm], I have to be in the garden. The other day I went out and stood still for a nit aimed at this branch on the tree, waiting for them to land - a cheeky Coal Tit obliged, but generally they're too wary to land if I'm too close.
Curious Cole Tit by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cheers Keith more to follow

Cheers Keith more to follow

Out of curiosity, what do you leave out as feed for the birdies, if any? I bought a big bag of seed from Dealz and the birds snubbed it :D choosey feckers! They tend to come in a lot more for the peanuts

These are just after the Rowan bush berries Keith , ,there’s hundreds of bushes/trees on a local industrial estate plus no traffic at weekends . Just drive round till I see the tree of the day and park up beside it ...

At home I use normal seed for sparrows , fat balls bring in all sorts , and white hearts for goldfinches . Got a couple of old coconut shells to knife in lard and with each layer press it into the seed tub , brings in jackdaws ,crows, rooks

These are just after the Rowan bush berries Keith , ,there’s hundreds of bushes/trees on a local industrial estate plus no traffic at weekends . Just drive round till I see the tree of the day and park up beside it ...

At home I use normal seed for sparrows , fat balls bring in all sorts , and white hearts for goldfinches . Got a couple of old coconut shells to knife in lard and with each layer press it into the seed tub , brings in jackdaws ,crows, rooks

I used to buy the coconut shells but they were attracting too many larger birds. I prefer the smaller ones, Tits, Chaffies, Robins, Sparrow - The others are big and bould enough to fend for themselves. We do get a couple of Collar Doves too, and there's always the Blackbirds. But unless a Sparrow Hawk decides to come in, the other larger ones can F off :D

I have noticed from the bags of mixed seed I've got, the small birds will only take the black Sunflower seeds from it and leave the rest. As this cheeky Blue displays right here:
Preference by K G, on Flickr

When the black seed was gone, the birds completely ignored the rest until I cleared it and topped up

There’s your answer just buy black and white sunflower hearts / seeds

There’s your answer just buy black and white sunflower hearts / seeds

Aye need to find somewhere selling. I used to buy the mealworm balls too but the Jackdaws were making off with them, as in, the full thing. I do have a feeder for those too though, but any I left loose.

thanks Keith

Does anyone happen to have a Viltrox EF-M1 they're not making use of? If I was to put up a wanted for one maybe?? Can get one from China but all of those ebay stores from the Orient are a bit dodge and I don't want to wait 8 weeks for it.

Sharp enough

This is aimed more at the amateur film maker, but it's few and far between when we get G80 videos these days, so might be of interest to some of you:

Lovely images lads. I actually headed out today with every intention of heading down the river after the few other bits and bobs I had to do and get some shots in. Got held up though and it was already dark by the time I got out of the town. You really have to get down early in the day this weather.

Oh how I would dearly love to go back to NYC! This time I'd cut out the shopping BS and just do some street photography

Back