Panasonic Lumix LX5

I'm sure that the LX5 is lovely and I am a fan of the LX range as I own an LX2 but I am surprised at people trading in GF1's for them for reasons of image quality? For portability, yes, but for IQ? I'd have thought that the much bigger GF1 sensor would pretty much guarantee better picture quality.

Had a look at a few cases and it was the lens that was causing traumas with the hard shell cases. I have now ordered a Lowepro Hipshot 20 for mine - hopefully awaiting me at home as I type. Will let you know how it fits.

Mike - some fab shots here - glad you are liking the camera.

Swag - sorry to say but this is a lovely little camera. I think my D700 is about to start sulking as it no longer goes everywhere with me!

Spooks

Thanks for the comments on the pics :) Would love to hear about the case as I have put off buying one until a few users views pop up. Gotta say I really enjoyed the walk for a change just by carrying so little with me ;)
Mike.

I had a play with my LX5 to see what I could do with DOF and indoor subjects etc.. (Dubcat asked me to try it)

I am really liking this camera so far.....

Cones outside the building

Stones in the kitchen

Wall Decoration

a quickr pickr post

A few more examples with the LX5.

Not upto my 7D of course, but pretty nice to use and some ok shots out of it (y)

Waterfall at kew

Waterfall shot on my new LX5 in Kew Gardens

Glasshouse @ Kew

Glasshouse shot on my new LX5 in Kew Gardens

Arch @ kew

Arch shot on my new LX5 in Kew Gardens and converted to B&W

Greenhouse @ Kew

Greenhouse shot on my new LX5 in Kew Gardens

Grass @ Kew

Grass shot on my new LX5 in Kew Gardens

a quickr pickr post

I am off to Kew a week tomorrow. Am considering taking the LX5 only and leaving the nikon at home.

The hipster20 is ok but a little tight for quick access.

Spooks

Had a play around with the LX5 and an S95 yesterday in Jessops. Now I'm stuck. Very much liked both, but for different reasons. Hmm!

Anyone like to suggest a deal maker / breaker for either option??

Just to muddy the water a bit? Have a copy of 'amater Photographer' 25th September, they give a full review of the LX5, makes interesting reading. There is also a mention of the new Nikon Coolpix P7000 . . .

See hear:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikonp7000/

A very interesting preview. I was looking at the LX5 or the new G12? that swivel screen is so useful . . . holding off now see how the P7000 pans out?:naughty:

CJS

Last edited:
I shot these last night on my LX5 with iISO set. I haven't touched them at all, just uploaded straight out of the camera.

Really pleased with these :) lots of keepers, hardly any blurred (1-2), fast focus and decent metering.

Placebo live

Placebo live @ Brixton Academy, straight out of the camera, no NR applied shot at 800 ISO

Placebo live

Placebo live @ Brixton Academy, straight out of the camera, no NR applied shot at 800 ISO

Placebo live

Placebo live

Placebo live

Brixton Academy

a quickr pickr post

Those are pretty slick Martin. Really nice shots and pretty impressive from the camera too.

Sara, what price did you get? With the site search function down, how do you get hold of Kerso (Ian??)?

Cheers, Mark

Sara, what price did you get? With the site search function down, how do you get hold of Kerso (Ian??)?

Cheers, Mark

I got in touch with him before I went to Spain last week!! Ordered it and hope to get it some time next week, post permitting to Spain of course. Looking forward to this little baby :D

Oh yeah, the important bit .................. £329 + postage

Last edited:
Fantastic shots of placebo, Martin. Really pleased the camera is strutting it's stuff for you.

Got my LX5 last week, haven't really had a chance to play with it properly yet. Initial impressions are that its a great little camera.

OK, so what is the best case for one of these? I've not ordered just yet, thought I'd see if Kerso can get hold of them first.

Ordered a Kata DF-408 from Clifton Cameras for mine today.

Fantastic shots of placebo, Martin. Really pleased the camera is strutting it's stuff for you.

Thanks... :)

They were fantastic, and so was the camera :)

I am seeing Grinderman on Friday so it will get another workout :)

Really pleased with it and thank you for your original post (y)

Thanks... :)

They were fantastic, and so was the camera :)

I am seeing Grinderman on Friday so it will get another workout :)

Really pleased with it and thank you for your original post (y)

I am well please with those images you have took... Could you possbily do a low light photo in a room and use iso 800 and what ever up from there so i can compare noise or is iISO good?

I am well please with those images you have took... Could you possbily do a low light photo in a room and use iso 800 and what ever up from there so i can compare noise or is iISO good?

I'll take a few tomorrow for you...

I will try it at a few different iso settings and post the results..

TBH the lens is pretty quick even zoomed right in its only 3.3 so pretty good, certainly much better than my last compact.

This means you are shooting at lower iso than you would have to on a standard compact...

I'll take a few tomorrow for you...

I will try it at a few different iso settings and post the results..

TBH the lens is pretty quick even zoomed right in its only 3.3 so pretty good, certainly much better than my last compact.

This means you are shooting at lower iso than you would have to on a standard compact...

How do you get it to shoot at f2.0? as that what interest me to be honest... As i am selling my GF1 as dont really want another slr as i have a canon 40d and fancy the LX5 as a compact :) was hoping to decide by tmr and buy one tmr if I can witness some more images to temtp me ;)

How do you get it to shoot at f2.0? as that what interest me to be honest... As i am selling my GF1 as dont really want another slr as i have a canon 40d and fancy the LX5 as a compact :) was hoping to decide by tmr and buy one tmr if I can witness some more images to temtp me ;)

There are 2 flickr groups to look at example shots, go have a look :)

Search for LX5

It works the same way a standard zoom works.

at 24mm its F2. at 90mm its 3.3 as you zoom in it changes..

There are 2 flickr groups to look at example shots, go have a look :)

Search for LX5

It works the same way a standard zoom works.

at 24mm its F2. at 90mm its 3.3 as you zoom in it changes..

Hi, just wonder if you manage to do us a couple?

A very fast set...

ISO 400

ISO as above straight out of camera, no tweaks

ISO 800

ISO 1600

ISO 3200

ISO 6400 - reduced resolution

ISO 12800 - reduced resolution

a quickr pickr post

Hi guys,
I've got two questions and will be grateful if someone could answer.
1) Importing pictures from LX5 to Picasa (from Google), is Picasa able to import videos and delete pictures from the camera - reason why I'm asking is that I currently have Panasonic FX500 (not very happy with it) but Picasa struggles to import videos (imports thumbnails though) and can't delete imported pictures.
2) I like the compactness of LX5 but still could someone compare (or point me to a comparison) between Panasonic LX5, Sony NEX-3 and Olympus E-PL1?
Thanks,
Ondrej

I echo Simon's thoughts on the LX5

I sold on our Canon S90 and bought the LX5 as the wife is a Panasonic fangirl and to be honest... so am I now :)

We just came back from a week in Greece and I was in two minds whether to take the D300s as well, but in the end settled for just the LX5 for the pocketability.

What a brilliant camera, images are great and IMHO is a good deal better than the Canon S90 in many respects, including metering and handling. In fact,most of the 900 shots we took with it need no editing at all. Even low light was impressive and again, IMHO better then the S90. This is the DSLR companion I have been looking for!

We did have a problem though. After about 400 shots, something small broke off from inside the AF mode switch on the lens housing and was rattling around inside. Unfortunately it settled on the sensor and we couldn't shift it - so the last 500 photos have a nasty mark in the top left corner! So I have some cloning to do :LOL: Have already sent it back and have no qualms about taking a replacement - I'm sure it was a rare problem - this is a really fabulous compact!

As for a case, we use a Crumpler Pretty Boy XS and it fits in there just fine, although it does end up a wee bit bulky as the case is so well padded. I wonder is the XXS would be better, but you may struggle to fit the neck strap in.

Now a question: PS Elements 8 (MAC) doesn't recognise the RAW files from the LX5, are they different in some way? I can't seem to find a plugin either :help:

Last edited:
Has anyone had any real life experience of the LX5 in relation to the S95? Struggling at the moment as to which to choose.

Cheers, Bradders

Sticking with the 9.5mp setting, you get a zoom equivalent of 24-360. Drop the resolution the zoom increases to 640 - this is digital zoom rather than optical. The optical zoom increases to 161 equivalent

Taken at 161mm zoom equ. (optical)

Seeing the camera is 24-90mm is the above with cropping the image?

Hi there, thanks for the impressions. I've been reading "expert" reviews of the camera, but I find that subjective opinion (and helpful sample images) help a lot, too.

I was wondering if this would be a good option for someone wanting to upgrade from regular point and shoots (my current camera is a Lumix TZ-1) to a more complex approach? It'd primarily be used as a travel camera, but I'm thinking of taking part in some themed photo activities so it could really be used in any situation.

Now a question: PS Elements 8 (MAC) doesn't recognise the RAW files from the LX5, are they different in some way? I can't seem to find a plugin either :help:

I got a plugin for the LX5 for Lightroom3 yesterday, have you had a good look for it ?
Just found THIS .. any use ?

Last edited:
Has anyone had any real life experience of the LX5 in relation to the S95? Struggling at the moment as to which to choose.

Cheers, Bradders

I just watched this...

review

Key points he raises at the end..

AF and zoom in HD video mode... S95 can't...

That review posted by Martin made interesting watching, especially the comparison with the S95 - Grrr, hope I've made the right decision. While I wait for Kerso to get stock in I'm having a little wobble if I'm honest. As I've never shot video in my life, the big pro of the LX5 over the S95 means absolutely nothing to me.

Am I making the right decision? :shrug:

I've yet to get to my mitts on the LX5 but I can already see it's a worthy successor the LX2 and that was probably the camera that I've most enjoyed ever.

The S95 does also look great too doesn't it but unless Canon have improved the way the rear controls handle, it's gong to be another brilliant camera that shoots itself in the foot at the last hurdle.

In terms of a camera that will sit unnoticed in a bag and allow you massive creative freedom when the need to make an image strikes, I don't think the LX5 will disappoint in any way.

You won't lose out much though if you do decide to sell it and change to the canon.

That review posted by Martin made interesting watching, especially the comparison with the S95 - Grrr, hope I've made the right decision. While I wait for Kerso to get stock in I'm having a little wobble if I'm honest. As I've never shot video in my life, the big pro of the LX5 over the S95 means absolutely nothing to me.

Am I making the right decision? :shrug:

IQ is better on LX5
Zoom is better (with reduced MP)
Can add flash
Can add viewfinder
Better wide angle support
Can zoom during video

Let you guys know I am now a LX5 owner will post some pictures once I get some crackers :)

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:
Notice No Raw support on Aperture 3 yet for it

Back