Panasonic Lumix LX5

What case u guys got for ** lx5?

:woot::banana:LX5 in the post from Kerso - Should arrive here in Spain by the middle / end of next week. I'm excited now!!

Hi Sara

What made you choose the LX5 over the S95??

David

(still undecided LX5? S95? LX5? S95?)

While I wanted a fairly portable camera, I didn't feel that the small size of the S95 was that important to me. I prefered the focal length of the LX5 to the S95, albeir marginal - For the uses I am planning for the LX5, I wold like as much on the wide end as possible. I think as well, I just fancied a move away from Canon for a change. I think one of the deciding factor though was the Leica optics. You can't get better than that surely.

So here I am at the moment, sitting in Spain, wishing the whole postal thing was just a little quicker!!! I want to play!!

Case-wise I looked everywhere for something that'd fit just the camera snugly but got nowhere. I ended up with a Lowepro Apew 100 that fits the camera and my Opticron 8*25 bins perfectly :)

Hi, first post, stumbled across this forum because of this thread while looking for LX5 information. Stepping up from a simpler compact so some of the detail here is beyond my understanding, still the images posted were enough to convince me and I bought one and had it a couple of days. Still at the WOW stage and working through the manual, but seems to be exactly what I wanted.
Re cases - Picstop have a camera case compatibility search which came up with three options;
http://www.picstop.co.uk/compatible...-camera/camera-cases-bags/compact-camera-case
I went for the Hama Sorento 70M, at £9.69 delivered I thought it'd do till I found something better. Though now I've got it I think it'll do OK, there's a moveable part inside, play with that a bit and the camera fits snuggly without moving about once zipped up, yet it still slips in and out easily. The overall size could be a bit smaller, but that's the only criticism.

I got a Lowepro dublin 30 case for mine...

Lovely snug fit....

Not cheap...

LX5 arrived today. Went out and took a couple of pics with it - Now I'm home I think I'll have a little read of the manual. It was pretty simple to work, and in manual I found it much more intuitive than the G11.

My first impression is very favourable. I love the size of it, and found it really liberating to wander around with something so light and capable.

Lone tree on a hillside by swag72, on Flickr

Lone tree and tree root foreground by swag72, on Flickr

Pine tree middle by swag72, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shots Swag 72

I took these in Venice with my LX5 all straight out of the camera, just slight crops.

P1010391a

P1010362a

P1010301a

P1010370a

P1010297a

a quickr pickr post

Lovely images there what mode do you use on the camera?

Nice shots Swag 72

I took these in Venice with my LX5 all straight out of the camera, just slight crops.

P1010391a

P1010362a

P1010301a

P1010370a

P1010297a

a quickr pickr post

A few LX-5 images from me.
P1000935.jpg

P1010048.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1000453.jpg

P1000471.jpg

P1000374.jpg

I have to admit to some tweaking for my pics - Can't post them straight out of the camera, it's just not right!!! Anyway, taken on manual, as I hadn't read the manual at the time and didn't know how to set to underexpose in AV mode!!

Liking the Pics posted here. Very nice little camera.

Just a couple of questions - Is there any way to reverse the direction of the thumbwheel? And, when taking pics as jpeg, are you using a picture mode? Such as dynamic, vibrant etc?

Last question, what size of AF box are you using on the screen? Does it make a difference if the square is a bigger or smaller size?

Just joined and first post. Very interested in getting a LX5. I'd be very keen to see some photos of LX5 used with ND filter to blur waterfalls, rivers or sea water at the coast. DSLRs do fab job of the milky water effect and wondering if LX5 with ND filter is as capable. Also keen to see some photos with the 18mm wide angle converter for landscapes to see if IQ is affected and also amount of distortion in photo.
On another subject, from what I have seen so far DOF and bokeh looks quite good in macro shots, how does it do at say 90mm portrait? This will be at f3.3 so DOF greater. Guess means have to have roughly 8x distance subject to background as from camera to subject to get blurred bokeh background. Great forum. Cheers.

Hi,

I am a newbie on this forum and was also interested in the LX5. As some have already mentioned, I am split between the LX3. S95 and the LX5.

I have come across the name Kerso quite a few times. Ishe based in the US and has anyone in thw UK purchased from him? Are his prices better than web prices? Id so, I'd like to how to go about contacting him.

I would appreciate your advice,

Many thanks.

Kerso can be contacted through this site, he has a thread in the Trade Sales section.

Can you new guys see that section?

My LX5 came from Kerso. The only difference is the charger has a built in US pin, but Ian will send you a US/UK adapter. Brilliant service from him and a great little camera. Send him a PM from here. Look at the top right of the itrader page. He will give you a good price. No good telling you the price I got as the $ exchange rate has changed in the last month or so.

I would never hesitate in buying from him.

Thanks for the link.

My LX5 came from Kerso. The only difference is the charger has a built in US pin, but Ian will send you a US/UK adapter. Brilliant service from him and a great little camera. Send him a PM from here. Look at the top right of the itrader page. He will give you a good price. No good telling you the price I got as the $ exchange rate has changed in the last month or so.

I would never hesitate in buying from him.

Hi,

I'd like to ask if its worth paying the extra for the LX5 over the LX3? The LX3 can be bought at a lower price on the second hand market?

If you weren't going to go for the LX5, you might be better going back a little further to the LX2. Always felt like a more complete and usable camera than the 3 to me.

The 5 seems to be the upgrade to the LX2 that the 3 should have been.

I was out with my LX2 today, it's a lovely thing but the lens is slower then the LX5's and the higher ISO is quite poor. But in good light it's lovely.

Oh, there is one very annoying thing.... when set to RAW the LX2 insists upon saving a useless JPEG too thus slowing everything down and filling up space on the card.

just thought i would dig this thread up as i am joining the lx5 brigade
i must say i am impressed with the quality of the images i have seen so far and the lx5 really seems to suit Javier's style of photography

just thought i would dig this thread up as i am joining the lx5 brigade
i must say i am impressed with the quality of the images i have seen so far and the lx5 really seems to suit Javier's style of photography

Welcome aboard :) still loving mine (y)

As I do mine. Hope you have fun with yours and thanks for resurrecting the thread; that's the second one of mine to come out of limbo in the last 2 days

LX5 is truly good. I am considering buying it for Aerial photo, cause it has CCD instead of CMOS. No rolling shutter effects.

New member. This thread was really useful in helping to choose between the S95 and the LX5. Thanks guys.

Picked mine up from Ebay for £250 (New, damaged box) so that knock-down on the price was a big factor in buying it rather than the S95, but I did take the time to test out both cameras in Jessops (and the G12 too). I think it's well worth doing if anyone is still comparing the two; whilst they're pretty similar performance wise, they're really ergonomically very different. For me, I found the S95 a bit too fiddly and its small size meant that I found it difficult to change settings quickly, but it's still a great camera.

I've got to say though, I was under time pressure as I wanted a compact to take to Mardi Gras in New Orleans in a few weeks or I might have hung around to take a look at the Olympus XZ-1. That looks like a really nice camera. That said, I've been playing with my LX5 for a bit now and am totally in love with this little thing. Well done Panasonic.

I must admit to being a bit disappointed with mine as I find that compared to my previous LX2 the pictures are not as sharp and overall look slightly mushy.

I expect that these things can be corrected somewhat by cleverer post capture processing than I can or am willing to do and I assume that it's down to the more crowded sensor.

The only real advantage that the LX5 seems to have over the LX2 is that it will take RAW rather than RAW+JPEG which my LX2 insisted on taking, the big disadvantage being that this slowed the camera down to a crawl.

Anyway, a few pictures taken in January...

ks1.jpg

ks2.jpg

ks3.jpg

Just returned from a short break in Sevilla and Cordoba - Opted to take the LX5 instead of the DSLR as it's just more portable and convenient. So, do I think I missed photo opportunities because of it? I'd say not, if anything I seem to take more with this little gem! Here's a couple of pics taken with it.

Sevilla reflection by swag72, on Flickr

Cordoba by swag72, on Flickr

My LX5 came from Kerso. The only difference is the charger has a built in US pin, but Ian will send you a US/UK adapter.

Personally, I would prefer the charger with the retractable 2-pins as I find it's much handier for travel. Our old LX5 had this charger but the LX5 doesn't.... so guess who left the LX5's mains lead in Asia last week??

:coat:

Last edited:
Some images from our Asia trip, all pretty much straight from camera levels and sharpening wise. Just the odd crop and vignette.

I do love this little camera, I find it really fun to use. Using it more and more for trips away and days out, but it won't be replacing my DSLR anytime soon!

Wet Market, Isabel, Leyte Island, Philippines

Refreshments

Family Reflections

Last edited:
Mrs Justinitus with Cuddles the Monkey

Local Boy, Anislag mountain village, Leyte Island

Before Sunset, Malapascua Island, Philippines

Last edited:
Sunset on Malapascua Island, Philippines

Sunrise on Malapascua Island, Philippines

Last edited:
love the quality of those shots justin