Panasonic Lumix LX5

Great shots, Justin. I am off to Wales next week and seriously thinking about taking the compact and leaving the dslr at home for a change.

Yes Simon. That's what I was thinking... with a camera this good, you will leave the heavy stuff at home...

That's not good when you look to the investment done and left in the bag at home. :)

Well I had my nose hanging over a LX5 for a while, owning a LX2 for the past 3 years which I found to be a great camera, only used as a second camera. My main camera being a D90.

Wandering around Hunstanton last weekend I took the LX2 & said to the wife that this was a lot better than carrying a DSLR around all day,having said that, my mind was made up, sell the D90 & go down the compact route full stop.

So an ad went in the For Sale section here on TP, I quickly sold the 18-200vr lens , so having a look around at the GF1 & 2 I finally decided on the LX5.

A trip in to the local city center yesterday first calling at "Jacob's" was a waste of time, the only LX5 was an ex demo model they had, no discount full price. NO THANK YOU !

Calling in at Jessops they had no LX5s in stock at all but could order one in this week, couldn't fault the service though, first class.

Wandering around to John Lewis's, we called at Curry's on the way. No LX5s in stock but could get one in BUT at a cost of £469.......NO THANKS.

So we arrived at John Lewis's, one LX5 left ! Same price has Jessops as well ! First class service, could not be faulted. So home we went an afternoon not wasted.

Unpacking the LX5 I was surprised to find no manual only a cut down effort, so I downloaded a PDF version from the net.

The LX5 is a lot different to the LX2 menu wise so, a bit of patience & all was good setting up the camera.

Today we went out & had a play with the LX5, wow, what a great camera. I will post a pic or two when I've had a look at em properly. First impressions were, what a great camera.

I will be sorry to see the D90 go but, It was not getting used which is a shame. Opting for the convienience of carrying a camera in my hand, not carrying a heavy camera around my neck !

Here's one from today.
P1000019992x558.jpg

I'm sure I will enjoy this camera very much. !

Great shot.

I too had an LX2 and switched to a LX5 and I personally find that the LX5 shots are softer, mushier, although this may be due to pixel peeping the larger LX5 images a little too closely. I think that whole image shots are fine.

One great advantage of the LX5 over the LX2 is the ability to shoot RAW only, my LX2 insisted on shooting RAW+JPEG which slowed the camera up and filled up memory card space.

LX5 does Brugge.

P1000471s2.jpg

Heya folks, not been around for a while but it's good to see more folks finding the love for the LX5. Still worries me you're not getting sharp enough pics though Alan.

I often fill up my car with cameras and lights for shoots but if I'm not working I seldom carry more than the Lx5, even on photo trips. I've found it wonderful and a great travel companion.

Would there be any benefit using a "class 10" SD card, esp shooting video ? compared to a "class 6" Sd card. ?
Thankyou.

Has anyone taken any macro shots with their LX5 at all? I wouldn't mind seeing a few if it's no bother :)

Has anyone taken any macro shots with their LX5 at all? I wouldn't mind seeing a few if it's no bother :)

Here is a macro from the little LX,

P10107211.jpg

and a close up section from the bottom left of the curled bit.

P1010721-2.jpg

I think the macro is like most things about this camera, not the best you'll find but part of possibly the best all round package????

Some great shots and great comments/revieews.

I'm quite excited about buying one now! :naughty:

I'm currently looking for a small camera to take with me on holiday, and as a general every day camera. The LX5 seems to fit the bill very well. I think I need to go and have a play with one.

Steve

Jelster said:
I'm currently looking for a small camera to take with me on holiday, and as a general every day camera. The LX5 seems to fit the bill very well. I think I need to go and have a play with one.

Steve

Have you played yet? What did you think?

Mike.P said:
Panasonic have just announced a new firmware for the LX-5 .. available next month. LINK

I have an LX5 but what does this mean? How do you update firmware on a camera?

Mike.P said:
Normally you copy a file onto your memory card and insert into camera, switch on while pressing certain buttons and it will update.

Usually gives extra functions and corrects software bugs

Thanks. Will it give the details in the instruction manual usually or is it an online instruction depending where you download?

Check the Panny website... if it's anything like Canon's there'll be instructions on how to update the firmware.

I know this is an old thread, but I hope people still read it, as I need help.

I have an LX-5 with the Lumix 46-52mm lens adaptor. I bought a Hoya Pro1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter, and a Hoya Slim Frame UV (C) filter. With the polarizing filter, I get a fair amount of vignetting when the camera is at its widest focal length and any aspect other than 1:1. The vignetting is also there, but to a lesser degree, on the UV filter, and I could definitely not use both filters at the same time.

Is this the experience of other people, or is something wrong with my equipment/how I'm using it?

TIA

I've attached (hope this works) an example of the same picture with just the adapter

https://picasaweb.google.com/116102073051279072439/LX5Vignette#5741047064206904866

with the polarizer,

https://picasaweb.google.com/116102073051279072439/LX5Vignette#5741047064129623778

with the UV filter,

https://picasaweb.google.com/116102073051279072439/LX5Vignette#5741047133985158002

and with both

https://picasaweb.google.com/116102073051279072439/LX5Vignette#5741047068812906626

TIA

I still read this thread, when new posts are uploaded.

I have never personally used this kind of gear with my Lumix but looking at you pics, I would guess it is the edge of the extension tube / adaptor you are seeing.

Were these taken at the widest angle? What happens if you zoom in on the subject; does the vignette disappear?

Thanks, Spooky for your response.

The problem was only at the 24mm end.

Late last night, I solved it, when I compared the tube I had with the pictures on the Panasonic site. The adapter that I received seemed to have an extra ring screwed into the end that held the filters. I unscrewed that (carefully, as it was pretty tight), and the filters now fit directly into the shorter tube, and it works perfectly!

So, fortunately, problem solved!

I appreciate your responding--I might have some other questions, that I will put in a new thread.

Yup Very Nice the LX5 is a great camera ive still got mine and have been trying to sell it a few weeks back but not sure if I should.. It good for Outdoor and bright days but low light and having ISO too hight it not too good

I've been following the Fuji X10 thread avidly and am really enjoying some of the stuff there - in fact I've found it really inspiring. I've just gone through a period of wanting to upgrade my existing compact but keep concluding that a different compact probably won't improve my pictures from my everyday "carry around". I still think the LX5 is a little beauty and very capable - with the launch of the LX7, you can now pick one up for less than £220.

Here are a few LX5 pics in no particular order.

P1030803.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

P1040607.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

P1050093-Edit.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

P1050475-Edit.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

Back