Panasonic LX100

Has anyone used filter adapters or a screw in ND filter with the LX100 at all ? Am keen to try a long exposure or two..

Couple more from the weekend, still getting to grips with it so far, but am really liking it.

The flower isn't my usual subject but the colours caught my eye.. Missed the focus slightly too.

Planted by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Wake by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Just acquired an LX100. Looking forward to using it over the summer. First impressions are good.

love my 100 but still hanker for really shallow DoF. Went from Fuji to the Panny and the Fuji jpegs hammer the panny's into next week. All being said, with a little careful PP work you can get some great results.

Now that i'm just a hobbyist, I do all my PP work on my tablet. PS Touch and Snapseed followed by the VSCO app. Love the workflow this way. Self portrait from today;

2015-07-17%2B07.52.42%2B1.jpg

love my 100 but still hanker for really shallow DoF. Went from Fuji to the Panny and the Fuji jpegs hammer the panny's into next week. All being said, with a little careful PP work you can get some great results.

Now that i'm just a hobbyist, I do all my PP work on my tablet. PS Touch and Snapseed followed by the VSCO app. Love the workflow this way. Self portrait from today

QUOTE]

Great stuff - I am still getting to grips with the LX100, but am making RAW/jpegs and and not really doing much with the jpegs yet - taking mine to America in a few weeks as my only camera, so reckon I will switch to only jpegs for some of that trip.

Also, awesome beard !

Last edited:
Ok, here's my two penneth worth. I've been shooting film for some 40 (!) years on a casual basis. I'm writing this as someone who loves photography but I'm not too interested in the technical side. I own various bits of kit, nothing fancy cos I've never been able to afford Nikon/ Leica or anything professional so I've used Minolta/Pentax/Voigtander (not Bessas unfortunately!) that I've picked up cheaply or seconhand and I've used cheap digi compacts for snapshots. I recently found myself with the wherewithal to invest in my hobby so I did a lot of research on where and how to spend my hardearned brass. I had a big wad in my pocket and maybe I'll be shot down but I chose a Lumix LX100 and saved a fortune on some of the other cameras I was looking at. Why? I wanted something that wasn't too big so I ruled ot DSLRs right away. I'm not bothered about being able to change lens - I have that option with my SLR's and rarely use it. I like the wide angle to "natural" and portrait view of a 35 to 75mm lens. I don't want a camera system that requires a bag and gadgets I have to really want to lug around cos most of the time I'll leave it it home and shove an XA2 in my pocket. I don't shoot sports or wildlife so I don't need a long lens. And, (big and!) this camera is so intuative to use coming from a film background. Yes, there's loads of settings and sub-settings and I can't say I've mastered it but even out of the box I'm impressed. I've found the lens to be sharp and the focussing to be quick and accurate. Low light shots are super and even the (ok I know!) fillter settings give interesting results.It doesn't fit easily in a trouser or shirt pocket but it fits in a jacket and doesn't have to be lugged in a gadget bag or over the shoulder. It feels solid, like my 1950's cameras, not cheap and plasticy. Basically what I've found is this is a camera that takes first class images that I'll take with me, enjoy using, and that's got to be a good thing. My film cameras are now sulking.

PS I don't work for Panasonic

Basically what I've found is this is a camera that takes first class images that I'll take with me, enjoy using, and that's got to be a good thing. My film cameras are now sulking.

What more justification or recommendation is necessary... :D

I hope you continue to enjoy your new camera.

Nearly but not quite answered :D I've had a look at the manual and I appreciate that in manual focus mode the lens ring acts as a focus ring and I've read that the action of the ring varies with the exposure mode selected but what I'd like to know is if focus can be assigned to the ring in AF mode in aperture, shutter and manual exposure modes.
As I said, I've looked at the manual and unless I'm missing something obvious it's far from clear.
What I'd like to be able to do is have the camera in AF mode and take manual control of focusing as and when I wish without switching to manual focus as I can with a USM/HSM/fly by wire AF lens in the three main exposure modes, aperture shutter and manual exposure mode.
With my MFT cameras obviously I can focus manually in AF and without switching to MF by simply turning the focus ring. With these cameras I also have the option of setting the camera to automatically display a magnified view or not when I turn the focus ring.
So the way I'd like to use a LX100 would be in Aperture, shutter or manual exposure mode, with AF selected but with the option of focusing manually by simply turning the lens ring and without having to switch to manual focus.
Is this possible?
I suppose that if it is possible to assign focus to the lens ring in AF mode and in all exposure modes it would create a difficulty selecting faster than 1/4000 shutter speeds... from what I can gather from reading the manual.
Any help will from users will be appreciated as I don't seem to be able to find the answers I'm looking from in the manual and the cameras don't seem to be in the local shops.

Sorry it's an old post but i just bought the camera and i'm going through the manual and may have find some kind of walkaround this?

Oh dear. That's me almost certainly out then. A shame, so near and yet...
It looks to be a lovely camera though but just not suited to what I want to do. Oh well, money saved.

Let see if what i just read make sens for you. I've never really use the on the fly manual focus myself and don't really see what it bring to the photograph I either shot in manual (all my film gear, or when the dslr on tripod and rare occasion) or in auto focus (most of the time with dslr)
So from the manual and working in the other way you where saying if you set the camera in manual, obviously the lens ring is used for manual focus anytime then the AF/AE buton can be attributed to auto focus. So it's like having at the same time back button focus (and this button is right under the thumb) and manual overide at the same time. The only down side is the autofocus work only in the middle of the square you choosed for the manual focus, you can't use function such as tracking or face detection at the same time.

Here's what the manual say P129:
Taking pictures with Manual Focus
Quickly adjusting the focus using Auto Focus
Using custom funcion for the AF/AE button → [Custom] → [AF/AE Lock] → [AF-ON]
If you press the [AF/AE LOCK] button in Manual Focus, Auto Focus is activated.
● When Auto Focus is activated on the MF Assist screen, the
camera will adjust the focus at the center of the MF Assist
screen.

Not sure if that helfull but well, is that make you want to spend your money again?
When you're shooting when do you need to override auto focus with manual focus? I never understood why it's seems to be such a big deal on dslr lenses... Usually (on my dslr) if my focus don't work i just switch to manual and carry on in manual...

I've only been trying the camera in my bedroom so far and i've been impressed with the autofocus speed, it's not bad at all, and work great in very low light to.

Last edited:
Very nice - have / hope you had a great holiday :)

Do you have a link to that Crumpler case ?
Thanks - was a great holiday but not much time for real photography - have a few from the LX100 that I will share when I get time to process them.

Here's a link to the bag. Carried all the above (aside from the tripod) quite nicely and did the job well.

Not sure if that helfull but well, is that make you want to spend your money again?
When you're shooting when do you need to override auto focus with manual focus? I never understood why it's seems to be such a big deal on dslr lenses... Usually (on my dslr) if my focus don't work i just switch to manual and carry on in manual...

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I tend to do a lot of switching between AF and MF to get critical focus where I want it so the little handling issues matter to me. Although it's a while since I was interested in this camera and I can't quite remember exactly what put me off I'm pretty sure it was to do with the focusing and the different use of various control in the different modes all adding up.

I'm sure it's a good camera but at the time I was thinking about getting one I decided that due to what I saw as handling issues it wasn't for me. I'm pretty settled with my gear now but if a future LX100 mk2 comes along I might jusg take a look :D

I guessed it was too late. But though it was an interesting point. That's bloody manual is a pdf and 300pages. There's so much customisation on this little camera. Trying to get my way round it!

A few gadget i'm hoping to try out like double exposure and stop motion animation :)

Last edited:
Thanks - was a great holiday but not much time for real photography - have a few from the LX100 that I will share when I get time to process them.

Here's a link to the bag. Carried all the above (aside from the tripod) quite nicely and did the job well.

Excellent - thanks for the link and be sure to post some pics up :D

Never even noticed this thread myself? A couple from my 2 week old LX100

Dislikes: Keep unwittingly moving the exp comp dial - you can hear the power zoom in video

Overall, it's a real keeper, but I might superglue that bliddy exp comp dial at 0 :)

Nell - Aug 2015 by Derek Hogan, on Flickr

P1000205 (Custom) by Derek Hogan, on Flickr

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I tend to do a lot of switching between AF and MF to get critical focus where I want it so the little handling issues matter to me. Although it's a while since I was interested in this camera and I can't quite remember exactly what put me off I'm pretty sure it was to do with the focusing and the different use of various control in the different modes all adding up.

I'm sure it's a good camera but at the time I was thinking about getting one I decided that due to what I saw as handling issues it wasn't for me. I'm pretty settled with my gear now but if a future LX100 mk2 comes along I might jusg take a look :D

Well i know it's too late for you know but it might interest other folks
P125: says that when using auto focus mode you can select to have manual focus activated too. I need to try it out but that sound to me like autofocus with manual overide as you where looking for.
Enabling/disabling manual focus adjustment after AF
→ [Custom] → [AF+MF] → [ON] / [OFF]
You can manually perform fine focusing during AF Lock (pressing the shutter button
halfway when [AFS/AFF/AFC] is set to [AFS] or setting AF Lock using the [AF/AE LOCK]
button).

Just tried and it does work. While using auto focus and select [AF+MF] on. When you turn the well you can manual focus overides. Simple as that!

Last edited:
I would also like to say thanks for the link very helpful.

Has anyone any examples of the 4k stills mode? Looks good for capturing expressions of kids at play etc.

Dislikes: Keep unwittingly moving the exp comp dial - you can hear the power zoom in video

Overall, it's a real keeper, but I might superglue that bliddy exp comp dial
There's a few cameras I have had that feeling on, GX7 included.

Nice images there from the camera.

Lol just find a heap of tips video i haven't started watching.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiKO_TRVaqs&list=PLJj3demzZ_dR2vCJbw4HjSF2aOUzupuJV

The man is a bit less sexy that the adobe lady ;-)

In this video the histogram is on the left on my camera it's bang in the middle. How do you move it across?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-hmJiHRfU&list=PLJj3demzZ_dR2vCJbw4HjSF2aOUzupuJV&index=4

Edit: sorry just find the answer:
→ [Custom] → [Histogram] → [ON] / [OFF] then move with the arrow

Last edited:
Sorry another question but spend some time customising the camera yesterday and today all my customisation (function button, q menu, raw file instead of jpeg...) have reverted to manufactory setup. Did i do something wrong?

(the battery is full and haven't take it our or anything but anyway that shouldn't make a difference?)
(the camera did went on sleep mode after 5 minutes unused but that again should be an issue)

Last edited:
Sorry another question but spend some time customising the camera yesterday and today all my customisation (function button, q menu, raw file instead of jpeg...) have reverted to manufactory setup. Did i do something wrong?

(the battery is full and haven't take it our or anything but anyway that shouldn't make a difference?)
(the camera did went on sleep mode after 5 minutes unused but that again should be an issue)

Mine has a strange habit of reverting to JPEG only..... Save your settings in the C1, C2 and C3 custom setting banks then assign one of the Fn buttons to select the custom banks.......

Mine has a strange habit of reverting to JPEG only..... Save your settings in the C1, C2 and C3 custom setting banks then assign one of the Fn buttons to select the custom banks.......

Yes thank, that seems to do the trick, i was already using custom preset C1
But just notice below it in the menu you have to click to select "overwrite" C1 with current preset. I didn't do this and without doing this he just return to the previously saved customisation.
Sorted!

Last edited:
Have any lx100 users used an EM1 or EM5 that you could tell how the lx100 image quality compares please.

Have any lx100 users used an EM1 or EM5 that you could tell how the lx100 image quality compares please.
Used to have an EM5 and sold it, keeping the LX100.

I've not compared results directly (that way insanity lies), but I don't notice any major differences.
The difference in handling from the form factor, zoom mechanism etc, will be much much larger impact on your overall experience than any discernible difference in IQ.

Used to have an EM5 and sold it, keeping the LX100.

I've not compared results directly (that way insanity lies), but I don't notice any major differences.
The difference in handling from the form factor, zoom mechanism etc, will be much much larger impact on your overall experience than any discernible difference in IQ.
NOOO this could cost me money :) I do keep buying more cameras :)

I've got both (EM-5 & LX100)..... would have no problem using the LX for anything I'd use the M5 for....... unless you're printing large you won't see any difference. If you're not printing large and can see a difference, you need to stop pixel peeping and get a life..... :)

I've had an em5 EM10 and lx100 and as previously mentioned unless you are doing large prints or pixel peeping you won't notice a difference.

Overall, it's a real keeper, but I might superglue that bliddy exp comp dial at 0 :)

Nell - Aug 2015 by Derek Hogan, on Flickr

P1000205 (Custom) by Derek Hogan, on Flickr

Lovely portrait shots Derek...were they jpeg straight from camera or RAW & processed?

Lovely portrait shots Derek...were they jpeg straight from camera or RAW & processed?

Thanks. They're JPEG then touched up slightly after using the Wi-Fi to transfer them to the tablet, that was it...... I don't think I'll even bother with RAW on it the as JPEG's have been astoundingly good. I always use ........

Picture mode: Natural
Noise Reduction: -3
Sharpening: +3

I've got both (EM-5 & LX100)..... would have no problem using the LX for anything I'd use the M5 for....... unless you're printing large you won't see any difference. If you're not printing large and can see a difference, you need to stop pixel peeping and get a life..... :)

Thanks for the information.
Im not a pixel peeper... However, I love a sharp photograph and enjoy using the Oly 45mm for shots of the grandchildren and that's really the direction I was coming from :)

Back