Panasonic LX100

Well, a highly compact zoom lens is never going to match a fixed focal length 'prime'.
But it's a very good lens given it's size and max aperture.

That is a great deal

Just a heads up though for anyone buying from Amazon and wanting to claim the Cashback and Extended Warranty

I bought mine from (fulfilled by Amazon) which is compliant with the T&Cs for the CB and EW, however the camera, when received, had a European lead for the charger (replaced FOC by Amazon) and European language manuals (no problem, English versions downloaded from the Panasonic website) - however the product number ended "EGK" i.e DMC-LX100EGK which turns out to be a German suffix as opposed to the "EBK" (DMC-LX100EBK) which is the UK version.

I queried this with Amazon and they said it was eligible for the CB and EW, however Panasonic disagreed they said is was clear in their T&Cs that it had to end "EBK" - as you have to wait 21 days to claim the CB & EW and I had been messing about with Amazon getting the replacement lead it was too late to swap with Amazon. The price had increased and despite Amazon saying I wouldn't have to pay extra for the "replacement" UK version of the camera it could however have been 4-6 weeks before the "UK" Stock came in and I was off on Holiday (the reason I bought the camera) before that.

To claim the CB & EW you have to take a photo of the Serial and Product number from the side of the box - mine clearly shows the German "EGK" suffix. However reading the small print in the T&Cs if you don't have the box ( ;) ) you can take a pick of the Serial and Product number from the sticker on the bottom of the camera, which thankfully just shows "DMC-LX100" with no suffix.

EW went through in about 48 hours and the cashback a week or so afterwards, completely unchallenged

I would just check the suffix if / when anyone buys one for the cashback and use the same method if the camera isn't the UK suffix :D

That is a great deal

Just a heads up though for anyone buying from Amazon and wanting to claim the Cashback and Extended Warranty

I bought mine from (fulfilled by Amazon) which is compliant with the T&Cs for the CB and EW, however the camera, when received, had a European lead for the charger (replaced FOC by Amazon) and European language manuals (no problem, English versions downloaded from the Panasonic website) - however the product number ended "EGK" i.e DMC-LX100EGK which turns out to be a German suffix as opposed to the "EBK" (DMC-LX100EBK) which is the UK version.

I queried this with Amazon and they said it was eligible for the CB and EW, however Panasonic disagreed they said is was clear in their T&Cs that it had to end "EBK" - as you have to wait 21 days to claim the CB & EW and I had been messing about with Amazon getting the replacement lead it was too late to swap with Amazon. The price had increased and despite Amazon saying I wouldn't have to pay extra for the "replacement" UK version of the camera it could however have been 4-6 weeks before the "UK" Stock came in and I was off on Holiday (the reason I bought the camera) before that.

To claim the CB & EW you have to take a photo of the Serial and Product number from the side of the box - mine clearly shows the German "EGK" suffix. However reading the small print in the T&Cs if you don't have the box ( ;) ) you can take a pick of the Serial and Product number from the sticker on the bottom of the camera, which thankfully just shows "DMC-LX100" with no suffix.

EW went through in about 48 hours and the cashback a week or so afterwards, completely unchallenged

I would just check the suffix if / when anyone buys one for the cashback and use the same method if the camera isn't the UK suffix :D

Gosh sounds like an headhache story. Paperwork are always so fun....

I got mine from SRS. Got 1/3 off by buying from them through eBay and a a Paypal voucher. Got the cash back and 5 year warranty too.

Nice bright and colourful shots. This thread is killing me as I cannot make my mind up for a second carry around camera!

I did cheers. The dilemma continues.

Only a few days before the end of the offers so try to keep your dilemma short.
I was in the same place a week ago. I choose the lx100 for the picture ratio setup on the lens (i know it's silly but i shoot different format of film too and i loved the idea to have it as a dedicated switch on the lens). Same the switch manual/macro/auto on the lens is a bonus and finally i thought the sony would be too small.

So if you want a flip screen and camera that fit in your jean pocket go sony.
If you don't mind a bit bigger and a few more control go panasonic. Other good point for the panasonic is the viewfinder it's always there and ready to use and not that bad at all compare all critics have read on reviews, on the sony i was worry it would be too small and the fact that it's foldale and tiny mean it would actually never get used, on the lx100 it's just there!

The difference in IQ is likely not enough to bother about. The panasonic has a bigger sensor but i'm not so sure it will makes such a difference.

As some have said go in a shop and try them out. I didn't have that opportunity as i live in the middle of nowhere (really).

Last edited:
Without having to trawl through 8 pages, in a nut shell, is the image quality from the LX100 comparable to using an interchangeable lens M43 (EM-1 or EM5-II) for instance.

Without having to trawl through 8 pages, in a nut shell, is the image quality from the LX100 comparable to using an interchangeable lens M43 (EM-1 or EM5-II) for instance.

I was given this answer hope it helps you

Used to have an EM5 and sold it, keeping the LX100.

I've not compared results directly (that way insanity lies), but I don't notice any major differences.
The difference in handling from the form factor, zoom mechanism etc, will be much much larger impact on your overall experience than any discernible difference in IQ.

I'm still mulling it over. Did you for black or silver crieffy?

Went for black - wasn't too keen on the silver. I went through Quidco and got an additional £19 cashback.
I didn't fancy lugging my D800 on holiday but still wanted plenty of accessible manual controls (currently have a Canon S120 but it's a bit fiddly changing settings)

WEX are showing it as 'Awaiting Stock'. Any idea on how long before it gets delivered? I am tempted to replace the XF1 with this and do away with thoughts of a smaller ILC/M43 setup or the RX100 M3 to keep things simple for a family setup!

Just pulled the trigger on one in jessops to collect in store!

Still itching to buy one with the current offer,I considered the GM1 which is also a good price,anyone had both and comparisons

The current offer for this week only is amazing value. Makes you wonder what the factory cost is if they can knock off £200. It's not as if they are trying to persuade you into a system whereby they can sell more lenses etc. just a one off purchase

This one off purchase is exactly what I was after it seems as I didn't want to invest in two different systems. I will leave the major investment for Nikon stuff and use the LX100 as a daily. I am just awaiting John Lewis to get back to me on a price match.

The offer is on until the 7th so plenty of time!

This one off purchase is exactly what I was after it seems as I didn't want to invest in two different systems. I will leave the major investment for Nikon stuff and use the LX100 as a daily. I am just awaiting John Lewis to get back to me on a price match.

The offer is on until the 7th so plenty of time!

I agree with this sentiment.
BTW what price match are you trying to get with JL? as it is 594 at moment?

Well, I collected the LX100 from Jessops and a nice tight fitting Lowpro Dashpoint 20 case. So far very impressed with the controls and its smaller than I expected so a perfect grab and carry camera. Im still tweaking the settings to my preferences but so far very impressed.

Well, I collected the LX100 from Jessops and a nice tight fitting Lowpro Dashpoint 20 case. So far very impressed with the controls and its smaller than I expected so a perfect grab and carry camera. Im still tweaking the settings to my preferences but so far very impressed.
Do like i did, don't forgot to save your customisation in a customised mode. Otherwise they'll revert to factory when switched off!

if it had GPS (either add on or built in), it would just about be the perfect travel camera.

I keep going back to this, and his stuff makes me realise I need to up my game with my LX100 !

True, but also we all love our geeky camera and always want the best at the end of the day, there no good camera without a good photographer. The youtube video serie: "cheap camera challenge" is a good prove of this with some pro shooting with the worth camera ever. The worth might be the Barby Doll camera...

if it had GPS (either add on or built in), it would just about be the perfect travel camera.
Maybe a separate, small GPS unit will be the perfect companion. It means you'll need synch the data to the images when you download them. Which is easy. And it will save the camera battery drain too.

JL have replied back to the price match! Now to get any thoughts of the A6000 or RX100 M3 out of my head before hitting the buy now on the LX100!

I just want a simple set-up to capture family moments be it at home, going to the park, restaurants, museums or zoo etc for when I don't want to carry/use the D750.

" Now to get any thoughts of the A6000 or RX100 M3 out of my head before hitting the buy now on the LX100! "

I feel your pain ! Hopefully these taken with my newly acquired RX100 mk3 will help you make the correct purchasing decision ? :sneaky:

i-36cX7qk-XL.jpg

i-R7LKGRV-XL.jpg

i-wrsjtzj-XL.jpg

Back