Panic Buying

I am a meat/fish eater, but I love my vegetables too. I do care that it has been raised/slaughtered as humanely as possible as I'm a decent caring bloke. I have no internal conflict about eating meat/fish. I'll gut a fish or a chicken without hesitation, I don't know if I could actually kill one (especially if I had raised it), but I'm guessing if that was all that was available I'd do it.
I've seen vegetarian food, cooked it for guests, does nothing for me if it's imitation type food though e.g. sausages, they look awful when grilled or bbq'd, maybe they would look better as toad-in-the-hole ? :)
I've no issue with people who want to be vegetarians, but please dont bang on about it.
Each to their own so long as it doesnt impact me.

Now, as for eating insects as meat replacement - forget it.

Last edited:
Anyway...

My sister said ASDA had toilet rolls in... perhaps she was just lucky or more hopefully maybe they're getting on to of supplies.

Anyway...

My sister said ASDA had toilet rolls in... perhaps she was just lucky or more hopefully maybe they're getting on to of supplies.
Quick - all round to Asda, which branch? :)

It's probably a bit far to go... South Bank, on the outskirts of Middlesbrough on the way towards Redcar.

Problem is she is concerned for animals suffering. So why eat something that looks and tastes like it, only to concern you even further.

Why would it concern them further? If they don't want to eat animals because they don't want them to be killed for food, they can eat something that tastes like meat but no animal has been killed to produce it. You seem to be finding an issue where none exists.

A friend of my ex's was veggie "almost" vegan but being a horse rider she wasn't a hypocrite.
One dinner party, there was a "stew" type dish served.
All was going well until I asked, ok what b*****d has all the meat ...
How I laughed ...
No one else did though ... no sense of humour some people :D

Why would it concern them further? If they don't want to eat animals because they don't want them to be killed for food, they can eat something that tastes like meat but no animal has been killed to produce it. You seem to be finding an issue where none exists.
It's simple. Why make something look and taste like the one thing you are against? It makes no sense at all. Especially when they have issue with people eating the real thing. If you don't want to eat meat, don't eat meat, there is no reason to pretend you are eating meat, so why do it.

I am a meat/fish eater, but I love my vegetables too. I do care that it has been raised/slaughtered as humanely as possible as I'm a decent caring bloke. I have no internal conflict about eating meat/fish. I'll gut a fish or a chicken without hesitation, I don't know if I could actually kill one (especially if I had raised it), but I'm guessing if that was all that was available I'd do it.
I've seen vegetarian food, cooked it for guests, does nothing for me if it's imitation type food though e.g. sausages, they look awful when grilled or bbq'd, maybe they would look better as toad-in-the-hole ? :)
I've no issue with people who want to be vegetarians, but please dont bang on about it.
Each to their own so long as it doesnt impact me.

Now, as for eating insects as meat replacement - forget it.
We occasionally have 'vegetarian' food for a change, but not because of ethical reasons. My wife cooked spinach & ricotta cannelloni a couple of days ago, very tasty. However we never buy shaped meat 'substitute' products. I think I would turn vegetarian rather than eat bugs & insects though.

It's simple. Why make something look and taste like the one thing you are against? It makes no sense at all. Especially when they have issue with people eating the real thing. If you don't want to eat meat, don't eat meat, there is no reason to pretend you are eating meat, so why do it.

They're not eating something that looks and tastes like something they're against. They're against the killing of animals for food, not the look and taste of meat. If they can have something that looks and tastes like meat but no animal has been killed to produce it, it's win win.

We occasionally have 'vegetarian' food for a change, but not because of ethical reasons. My wife cooked spinach & ricotta cannelloni a couple of days ago, very tasty.
Nice. Sounds good, my only problem is I am allergic to dairy produce (animal fats to be specific) so I have to moderate my intake.

Nice. Sounds good, my only problem is I am allergic to dairy produce (animal fats to be specific) so I have to moderate my intake.
That's unfortunate, I am sorry to hear that. I understand there are dairy free vegan Ricotta cheese products available, not that I have ever tried them so I couldn't say if they are any good?

They're not eating something that looks and tastes like something they're against.
My niece the vegan would disagree with you. She will quite happily let you know her thoughts on the meat you have on your plate, whilst having something made to look almost identical on her plate.
She also takes a dim view of people who drink milk taken from animals.

I often wonder who was the first man to pull a cows tit to see what came out, and drink what came out :D

My wife doesn't eat meat anymore so on most occasions I have to go without meat, but whilst the substitute stuff is not bad considering what they are trying to replicate, it really isn't going to come close to matching the real deal in my opinion.

She also doesn't eat dairy, I suppose it isn't very nice what happens there as well. She drinks that oat milk. No Gluten etc and I have to admit that Gluten free bread doesn't bloat you unlike the regular stuff. A lot more expensive though, no surprise.

Personally, I prefer to just have actual vegetarian dishes, many of which can be excellent. But I do like a good bit of meat every now and then and I am very hypocritical because I don't think I could kill an animal for it unless it was a case of avoiding me starving to death.

I often wonder who was the first man to pull a cows tit to see what came out, and drink what came out :D

Probably practised on a cave woman (err should I say cave person?) first then moved on to the mammoth. Cautiously.

That's unfortunate, I am sorry to hear that. I understand there are dairy free vegan Ricotta cheese products available, not that I have ever tried them so I couldn't say if they are any good?
I've tried the "alternatives", some of them, usually they are for vegetarians (have we come full circle) and most are ok, at best, but some are awful. Their ingredients are a bit "suspect" too and are generally best avoided as the health risks are a bit unknown. I can tolerate a certain amount but if I eat too much I get symptoms very similar to hay fever and have breathing issues, so I'm trying to avoid that at present if I can, it's hardly life threatening, normally.
I have an over reactive immune system, which apparently isnt something you want with Covid from what I have read. If I scratch my skin it sort of "blisters" which is a classic symptom of an over reactive immune system. Oh goody. :)

My niece the vegan would disagree with you. She will quite happily let you know her thoughts on the meat you have on your plate, whilst having something made to look almost identical on her plate.

But you're talking about something completely different.

Does she take a dim view of people who eat meat substitutes? If she does, why?

then moved on to the mammoth. Cautiously.
Brave ...

Probably practised on a cave woman
Very brave :D

I've nothing against vegetarian food. A nice Lamb biryani with a side of vegetable curry.
or Steak and Kidney pie with Mushy peas

What I've never been able to do though is milk a coconut..
Anyone know where the tits are?

I've tried the "alternatives", some of them, usually they are for vegetarians (have we come full circle) and most are ok, at best, but some are awful. Their ingredients are a bit "suspect" too and are generally best avoided as the health risks are a bit unknown. I can tolerate a certain amount but if I eat too much I get symptoms very similar to hay fever and have breathing issues, so I'm trying to avoid that at present if I can, it's hardly life threatening, normally.
I have an over reactive immune system, which apparently isnt something you want with Covid from what I have read. If I scratch my skin it sort of "blisters" which is a classic symptom of an over reactive immune system. Oh goody. :)
That's not good. My daughter has asthma and various nut & food allergies & has to be very careful what she eats. She has to carry epi-pens wherever she goes

Your old enough, are you saying you think someone may have beat you to it? ;)

But you're talking about something completely different.

Does she take a dim view of people who eat meat substitutes? If she does, why?
No she is eating the meat substitutes.

I also have an over active immune system which results in psoriasis.
I think it's a case of if you are on autoimmune suppression medication that is likely to leave you vulnerable to COV19 than the over active immune system itself.
I don't take any medication for my psoriasis because other than just one steroid ointment, which if used too much will burn holes in your skin and/or give you skin cancer, nothing else i have been prescribed has ever worked. I just rely on a specific skin softener, Dead Sea bath salt and soap to ease the itching and inflammation and getting out in the sun.
A healthy diet (spinach, kale and cabbage are recommended) and exercise is good for the immune system, I suffer very few colds and they are rarely bad even when immediate family will have bad colds.

I wonder how much of it will end up in landfill.
I'll let you know ;)
I said I'd let you know when it begins ...
And so it does,
approx 2 tonnes of out of date / on the date code has turned up ( end of last week) mostly meat, at a transfer station.
( last stop before landfill)
:rolleyes:

Hold the phone!
There is an ASDA home delivery van opposite ..
Now where did I leave that mask and colt .45?

:D

A healthy diet (spinach, kale and cabbage are recommended) and exercise is good for the immune system, I suffer very few colds and they are rarely bad even when immediate family will have bad colds.
We eat tons of fresh fruit & veg, not that there's an abundance at the moment but we'll make do. Oddly I rarely get colds, I can mix with people that have them and I just don't seem to get infected and only had (man) flu once. Any strains etc seem to be gone in days and I even slipped a disc that was fine after 2 weeks with just 3 physio sessions. All in all tough as old boots.

We eat tons of fresh fruit & veg, not that there's an abundance at the moment but we'll make do. Oddly I rarely get colds, I can mix with people that have them and I just don't seem to get infected and only had (man) flu once. Any strains etc seem to be gone in days and I even slipped a disc that was fine after 2 weeks with just 3 physio sessions. All in all tough as old boots.
Tesco seemed to have a very good stock of fresh fruit and veg this morning, panic buying seems to be settling so hopefully all shops will have normal levels of stock again.
Other than our skin reactions, it sounds like we are doing something right in terms of immunity to colds so hopefully we will have a similar result with the virus.

Still no sign of any sort of flour, or dried yeast where we are in the North East. Hopefully things will improve by the time our Asda 'click & collect' slot comes round in a couple of weeks time

I've seen they are working out the vulnerable by certain medical criteria
I get asthma and take a preventative inhaler every day, that's one of the markers
Another one is the amount of Prednisolone you have been prescribed.

Had a fair amount of that in my time, but it's to break up bad spells of Cluster Headache not Asthma
Not keen on using it now because it's knocks the immune system out

Prefer to not be classed on the high risk list, hope you get a choice
There again suppose it might help to get an online delivery spot :)

Back