Park Cameras - Selling open box items as new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Omar
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all

So I had purchased a Sony A7 + kit lens from Park Cameras, with a discount code totalling £899. I get a call a day later saying that they have 1 in stock but it's a demo/open box unit. The staff member ensures me it's in perfect condition. I asked for a gesture of goodwill to compensate for the fact I am not receiving a new item - and they inform me that as I used a voucher to lower the price it's now below their margin of profit. I asked if they'd be getting any more in and I was informed that it would be unlikely. The item is still showing as "in stock" on the website, actually..

I had read another review on the net from another customer of Parks with the same issue (ordering a new item and receiving a used one). Just wondering if it's something systemic of Parks? I went with them to avoid buying a grey import, but if our UK distributors offer service below the par of what I've had with Hdew or Panamoz, why bother?

I asked for it to be sent out anyway, with the promise of a full refund (inc delivery) if i'm not happy, so I guess i'll report back when I get it tomorrow..

Question is, would you have accepted it?

If you are paying for a new one, that is what you should get, however, if it is the only one they have it is your choice to buy or not.

...I would not!:D

As Joe says no. As a demo I would assume it had been used for test shots and handled by a number of people.

Can't see a problem, as long as it is in perfect condition, whats a few clicks.

I'm not sure what the complain is. They've not tried to sneakily send you a used camera but have been totally up-front about it. If you don't want to buy it, then don't buy it. Don't go throwing toys out of the pram just because they won't give it to you and make a loss on it.

Whenever I have gone to Park Cameras to buy something, they have always removed it from the box for me to have a close look at before buying,
even if I have had a play with one of the items they have for that purpose.
If the don't have the item on show then they will let you unpack and look at them too, I did this with a Nikon macro ring before deciding
it was far to complicated to put together so bought a sigma ring flash instead.
In this day and age of going into a shop to look at something hands on the going to find it cheaper on the internet it's hardly surprising
that many items do have the seals broken, they may not have been used as such, just handled to demonstrate how confortable
someone feels with them

I would want a discount for a demo model - the discount code was for a NEW model so i'd want extra discount to reflect the fact that its display not new.
If you went into a normal shop there is no way you would pay full price for a demo model!

Now the problem come in that unless manufacture supplies demo stocks for a shop,which sometimes they don't,shops will become just box seller,and you will find it harder & harder to try before you buy.
Now a lot of shops do do refund for goods not wanted, but they must be return boxed and unused,or you will be charged a restocking fee.

I'm not sure what the complain is. They've not tried to sneakily send you a used camera but have been totally up-front about it. If you don't want to buy it, then don't buy it. Don't go throwing toys out of the pram just because they won't give it to you and make a loss on it.
The reason your not sure what the complaint is, is down to the fact that he wasn't actually complaining. The OP is only asking if we would accept it.
Hardly throwing the toys out the pram is it?

Last edited:
The reason your not sure what the complaint is, is down to the fact that he wasn't actually complaining. The OP is only asking if we would accept it.
Hardly throwing the toys out the pram is it?

Agree with this. OP has asked a reasonable question & not lambasted the seller.

I also would expect a further discount.

Agree with this. OP has asked a reasonable question & not lambasted the seller.

I also would expect a further discount.
Except the title is a bit accusatory, although the post was more balanced.

Thanks! Yeah I'm not complaining, I'm just asking people's opinions and experiences with Park Cameras. I did try to press on a discount but as I've already had £100 off the price (it retails for £999 everywhere else - grey models are £900 on Panamoz) he said he couldn't go further as £899 is below cost price (not sure I believe that entirely though..)

I asked if I could have something else as a measure of goodwill, such as a bag, memory card etc, but they again insisted they weren't making any money from the sale, so no.

As I said initially, I'll thoroughly inspect it tomorrow - good point about the dust on the lens/sensor, I'll be sure to check. If it's had a handful of clicks I'm honestly not bothered, but if it's sizeable I'll see what they say!

Except the title is a bit accusatory, although the post was more balanced.

Have to agree, think OP should alter the title, as it does seem to suggest that Park's are selling open boxed items as new.

As regards the original question, no I wouldn't buy, as I would not take the risk paying for something that I can get sealed for the same price.

Thanks! Yeah I'm not complaining, I'm just asking people's opinions and experiences with Park Cameras. I did try to press on a discount but as I've already had £100 off the price (it retails for £999 everywhere else - grey models are £900 on Panamoz) he said he couldn't go further as £899 is below cost price (not sure I believe that entirely though..)

I asked if I could have something else as a measure of goodwill, such as a bag, memory card etc, but they again insisted they weren't making any money from the sale, so no.

As I said initially, I'll thoroughly inspect it tomorrow - good point about the dust on the lens/sensor, I'll be sure to check. If it's had a handful of clicks I'm honestly not bothered, but if it's sizeable I'll see what they say!

So, £999 is `normal` price for new?
£899 after discount code for new?

No way would I accept a used item. It sounds like it's just a way of selling off ex demo/display items because you're using a discount code.

Check out the shutter count and obvious dust or fingerprints, but if we don't support our home grown shops, then we will end up at the mercy of the grey importers.

I would much rather buy from somewhere I can go into and discuss my requirements for the big purchases especially if the salespeople have been there a long time and are knowledgeable. You have to factor that in.

Park Cameras are well established and I would have no problem with an open box, unless the item was damaged or obviously used.

Don't forget the OP is getting a discount already.

Last edited:
Have to agree, think OP should alter the title, as it does seem to suggest that Park's are selling open boxed items as new.

As regards the original question, no I wouldn't buy, as I would not take the risk paying for something that I can get sealed for the same price.
Don't you see the question mark at the end? It means it's a question, not a statement.:p

I can't though. Not unless you can find another UK supplier that sells one for £900?

As for the title, there's a question mark at the end, which makes my post a question. Park camera's were very up front about what I was getting and as such, I've not kicked up a fuss. I thought that was the point of this sub-section, to enquire about suppliers..

Thought i'd give you guys an update!

I received the camera on Tuesday and had a good look around it, it was impeccably clean and the sensor was dust free too. The battery was completely depleted, making me think it had been used as some sort of demo. Upon checking the shutter count, it had over 200 actuations, I wasn't sure if it was best to keep. Having no idea how long it has been sitting around/been on display for.. and with over 200 actuations that could have been quite long!

So I sent it back yesterday and i've asked for a full refund. Park have been pretty good, but it's a shame they're still advertising the camera on the website when they told me they had no stock. The silver lining? Bought the camera for £800 on Amazon, brand new. Saving me another £100. Bonus!

Having no idea how long it has been sitting around/been on display for.. and with over 200 actuations that could have been quite long!
Would that matter? It's not made of cheese!

200 seems pretty low for a demo model.

Personally, I'd have been happier to pay £900 for an immaculate open box with a full UK warranty than pay the same price for a grey import.

Maybe the OP could clarify if they bought it from Amazon direct or a market place seller

I bought from Amazon direct, so no grey import issues there. I checked the shutter count by uploading a photo and using exiftool - http://tools.science.si/index.php

The fact is I was told by Park Cameras that the box had been opened and the camera had been on demo for 1-2 days max. I'm sorry but I don't see how it's gonna get over 200 shots in 2 days. When I explained this to customer services when returning the camera they agreed that on that basis, the item was misdescribed. As a result, I also got a refund on my return shipping costs.

Edit: Just checked Amazon and it's back up to £1,079.99! Glad I purchased when I did :D

Last edited:
On a side note ~ when I arranged to Part Exchange 40D when purchasing the 5D3 I told them very clear impression that I was only interested in buying 'body only'. The guy did his examination of my 40D and then went to get the 5D3 for me and he brought me a split kit box and it turned out that was all they had i.e. no body only 5D3. I was actually quite miffed as if that had been disclosed in my email comms I would have passed on the purchase at that time. For the record the body had never left the box so never tried and repacked, what rankled was that there was very limited consideration as not supplied "as described" but as the guy had handled my gear etc and I had made the effort to go there I accepted the fait accompli of the situation.

I did get an email from the manager so the guy had properly reported my concerns and she was apologetic.......................there to be frank was a tad of no joined up thinking! And why was I miffed, well I keep all my boxes (yes the 40D had all the bits inc the box ;) )and the 5D3 kit box is huge compared to the body only and my storage space is limted.. Oh, for the record I would use Park again but just wish they could be consistent in their methods!

Did they compensate you in any way for their indiscretion? A small gesture goes a long way in making a customer choose you over a host of other competitors..

On a side note ~ when I arranged to Part Exchange 40D when purchasing the 5D3 I told them very clear impression that I was only interested in buying 'body only'. The guy did his examination of my 40D and then went to get the 5D3 for me and he brought me a split kit box and it turned out that was all they had i.e. no body only 5D3. I was actually quite miffed as if that had been disclosed in my email comms I would have passed on the purchase at that time. For the record the body had never left the box so never tried and repacked, what rankled was that there was very limited consideration as not supplied "as described" but as the guy had handled my gear etc and I had made the effort to go there I accepted the fait accompli of the situation.

I did get an email from the manager so the guy had properly reported my concerns and she was apologetic.......................there to be frank was a tad of no joined up thinking! And why was I miffed, well I keep all my boxes (yes the 40D had all the bits inc the box ;) )and the 5D3 kit box is huge compared to the body only and my storage space is limted.. Oh, for the record I would use Park again but just wish they could be consistent in their methods!

Are we really going to start complaining about the size of the box ! they sold you a body only and gave you a body only , no difference to you apart from the box which you could always throw away if space is that limited.

Just choose another supplier for a new camera as i have done,i have chosen HDEW & waiting for my new 6D:):banana:

My wife and I have bought quite a bit of kit from Park, in person and online. The only issue we've had was when my wife bought a 5D2 online and it was a a split kit. We returned it for a full refund as we're quite particular about the packaging. I fully accept that some will think that's odd, however we're not alone, and we didn't want any potential reduction in resale value. Park didn't question it, and we continue to shop there.

Are we really going to start complaining about the size of the box ! they sold you a body only and gave you a body only , no difference to you apart from the box which you could always throw away if space is that limited.

that i rarely keep my boxes so so long as the kit is unused i could care less if its a split kit. turning down a british split kit in favour of a grey import is also bonkers because a grey import will have a lesser future value than the uk stock (assuming you are honest about provenance)

end of the day by the time i sell my kit it will be worth peanuts anyway - i'm about to sell a 20D for example - and no one will care what box it came in

My wife and I have bought quite a bit of kit from Park, in person and online. The only issue we've had was when my wife bought a 5D2 online and it was a a split kit. We returned it for a full refund as we're quite particular about the packaging. I fully accept that some will think that's odd, however we're not alone, and we didn't want any potential reduction in resale value. Park didn't question it, and we continue to shop there.

That is very odd :confused:

Received my first ever Camera order from Park yesterday and it was properly sealed stock, only issue I had was Parcelforce not bothering to deliver it on Tuesday but Park chased them and it turned up half 11 yesterday morning.

Just to confirm - I did return the white-box 5D2 for a refund, but only after speaking to a rather rude employee of Park on the telephone. She informed me that I'd got the price as seen online because it was split-kit (but this was NOT mentioned on their website) and that I would not get the same deal anywhere else unless it was also from a split-kit. So the following weekend I of course picked up a regular 5D2, possibly for £10 less, from Jessops. To be honest the attitude of the lady I spoke to and the whole experience put me off using Park again.

The other problem I have had with them is listing products as in-stock or available in x number of days, and then finding out it's not in stock and/or not available at all after placing an order.

that i rarely keep my boxes so so long as the kit is unused i could care less if its a split kit. turning down a british split kit in favour of a grey import is also bonkers because a grey import will have a lesser future value than the uk stock (assuming you are honest about provenance)

end of the day by the time i sell my kit it will be worth peanuts anyway - i'm about to sell a 20D for example - and no one will care what box it came in

I'm not sure why a grey item would have a lower used value, particularly if the warranty had expired. I know some dealers won't take greys as p/x, but that's about it isn't it?

I'm not sure why a grey item would have a lower used value, particularly if the warranty had expired. I know some dealers won't take greys as p/x, but that's about it isn't it?

Because it cost less intially - so if used pricce after x years is a % of new price if the new price was lower so is the used - simple

Because it cost less intially - so if used pricce after x years is a % of new price if the new price was lower so is the used - simple

Not sure I agree! That's like buying a TV on Black Friday...is it automatically worth less in a year's time? I've sold used grey cameras on ebay (listed as bought grey in Hong Kong) and received as much as UK sourced cameras...I'm not sure the majority of used buyers really care in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back