Patrick's 52 for 2011 - Week 31 "Wind"

Hi Patrick, really like your take on the style theme, well done. It certainly has got potential for being a great picture, to my eyes, I think the white balance is still a bit out, looking a bit yellow/green.

Hi Patrick,

I agree with what Michael has said, it does still look quite yellow/green on my screen too.

Did you by any chance shoot this in RAW too?

I like this as it is proving to be quite a challenge.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Patrick, really like your take on the style theme, well done. It certainly has got potential for being a great picture, to my eyes, I think the white balance is still a bit out, looking a bit yellow/green.

Yes, I think you're right about too yellow/green.
I'm a bit stumped here as I'm pretty new to PP. If anyone has any thoughts about where to take this I'd be v grateful. I do have the RAW file for this as I set the camera to save JPEG and RAW. Would that help me?

I'm pleased with the overall pic but the colour problems are driving me up the wall.

Hi Dawn, just seen your post. Any help much appreciated

I'm a canon user, but in canons own software (dpp) there is a white balance setting in the image edit window, you can the select any of the other available presets or select a custom wb to alter on your raw file, if you have something like this, it would help, I dont have photoshop so cant comment for that one.

I do have the RAW file for this as I set the camera to save JPEG and RAW. Would that help me?

I'm pleased with the overall pic but the colour problems are driving me up the wall.

I have no fantastic insights I'm afraid, but having RAW is a massive help.

I do RAW and JPEG, and tend to just adjust the sliders in Camera RAW, etc until I arrive at what I'm after.

Yes, I think you're right about too yellow/green.
I'm a bit stumped here as I'm pretty new to PP. If anyone has any thoughts about where to take this I'd be v grateful. I do have the RAW file for this as I set the camera to save JPEG and RAW. Would that help me?

Hi Patrick,

Processing the RAW file might be better as you can recover some of the detail and better control of the WB correction (well that is what I have found from processing).

I hope you don't mind but I had another quick go with the image you posted, not sure if it is any better, but is it more what you had in mind when you took the image? I'll delete same if you want once you have seen the image.

5379321874_ea2a9d8bb9_b.jpg

Basically I used Picasa to do an "I'm feeling lucky", then adjusted the fill light and highlights. But I think that there may be other ways to process this. I could always try in Lightroom using the RAW image.

Cheers

Addition: Hi Patrick, the image has been on my mind, I could sleep until I worked on it more. I decided to take the image to Lightroom 3 where I did a few mods, corrected the WB, lowered the temp a tad and upped the tint a bit, slight increase on the exposure, upped the contrast and clarity, applied a bit of a sharpen, altered the camera calibration, i.e., upped the red primary hue and saturation a bit, lowered the green and blue then applied a border in picnik. Here is the result and once again I can remove these images to keep your thread tidy, just say.

5378966841_aa2543cceb_b.jpg

I kinda like this last image as it has a bit of the rough tough of hiking, with the slight twist of femininity.

Thanks for the challenge with this image, it has been quite a learning experience for me too. It is amazing what one can do with a single image in post processing as the two images are so different.

Now it is time for me to get some shut-eye.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Patrick,

I agree with what Michael has said, it does still look quite yellow/green on my screen too.
Did you by any chance shoot this in RAW too?
I like this as it is proving to be quite a challenge.
Cheers

I'm a canon user, but in canons own software (dpp) there is a white balance setting in the image edit window, you can the select any of the other available presets or select a custom wb to alter on your raw file, if you have something like this, it would help, I dont have photoshop so cant comment for that one.

I have no fantastic insights I'm afraid, but having RAW is a massive help.
I do RAW and JPEG, and tend to just adjust the sliders in Camera RAW, etc until I arrive at what I'm after.

Many thanks for comments/suggestions. I'll spend some time tomorrow with the RAW file (a new experience, but that's what the 52 challenge is about)

Hi Dawn, if you are interested I could mail you the RAW file?

good shot patrick (y) I like the idea round the theme ;) it all sounded so easy the theme this week buy I think it has caught a few people out :puke:

Had fun doing this, but amazingly tricky getting the focus and catchlights right on a self portrait.
Anyway it's supposed to be an open door within open eyes. Did a little PP, but the reflections are real.

Two shots to choose from based on some crit from Mark

5384799949_89a92a4c0c_b.jpg

5385402826_4bc65386af_b.jpg

Thanks for the crit to my previous pics and more advice/crit always welcome.

BTW in case you are wondering my eyes really are different colours:shrug:

Last edited:
This is a fantastic idea for the 'open' theme and it really works for me - an open door within open eyes, very well done (y)

It's a great shot... and a technique well achieved... I just dont like the final image from a purely artistic point of view... The border and crop for me detract from the eyes and door aspect... to me its more like someone peeping through a letter box! Maybe a crop of just one eye and a square shot might work better? Def the left eye as you look at the pic!

It's a great shot... and a technique well achieved... I just dont like the final image from a purely artistic point of view... The border and crop for me detract from the eyes and door aspect... to me its more like someone peeping through a letter box! Maybe a crop of just one eye and a square shot might work better? Def the left eye as you look at the pic!

I think you're right there Mark. I've changed the border on the original and added a one-eye crop. See what you think.

Personally I prefer the 1st shot on your open theme . The letterbox styling of the crop suits the shot very well imho...

Good work and well thought out (y)

MD(y)

nice one you certainly got this week in the bag (y) good shot technically and exposed well done ;)

Hi Patrick,

A great interpretation of the theme :clap:. I still prefer the first image and the letterbox framing.

I noticed your eyes were different colours, but then thought I was seeing things until I read your comment at the end. Lovely colours too.

Like the way you have the open door reflected in your eyes.

Well done and look forward to what you come up with for week 5.

Cheers

I like tour 1st shot, really draws me in/scares me....It's like you're trying to hypnotise me...;)

I'm trying to visualise what it would look like with all your eye brows in??

Nice, clean photograph and a interesting take.

Cheers.

Unusual and different idea, superb clarity, I also prefer number 1.

I really do like it.

Simon.

Right... now im not sure what one to pick... I'll explain.

For me ( and it seems to really be an issue I have with all my pics and other peoples too) the theme "Open" is far better caught by image no 2. The first shot would be perfect in my mind if the theme was "Look". That said the crop is almost to blown up and detail is lost and the image is simply not as good as the first image... So I guess i'd be torn if they where my shots as 1 is the better image and 2 is a better capture of the theme.

That's how I see it anyway... but maybe I focus too much on the theme... which has been ok for me up to now but i'm sure could cause issues in the future... I sort of see it that you should not have to explain your thought process on the theme... maybe im being a **** about this but im a bit compulsive obsesive by nature and the theme part of this really makes a big part of the fun of doing the 52 for me!

clever interpretation
:)
Thanks Jeff

Personally I prefer the 1st shot on your open theme . The letterbox styling of the crop suits the shot very well imho..
Good work and well thought out

MD(y)
Thanks Dave, I much prefer the letterbox two-eye version. (and anyone who hasn't seen MD's portrait 52 go there now)

nice one you certainly got this week in the bag (y) good shot technically and exposed well done ;)
Cheers Dave - took a lot of fiddling and trial and error

Hi Patrick,

A great interpretation of the theme :clap:. I still prefer the first image and the letterbox framing.
I noticed your eyes were different colours, but then thought I was seeing things until I read your comment at the end. Lovely colours too.

Like the way you have the open door reflected in your eyes.

Well done and look forward to what you come up with for week 5.
Cheers Dawn :)
Thanks Dawn. The letterbox is my preference also. Week 5? Aaaagh!

I like tour 1st shot, really draws me in/scares me....It's like you're trying to hypnotise me...;)

I'm trying to visualise what it would look like with all your eye brows in??
Nice, clean photograph and a interesting take.
Cheers.
Just look into my eyes...you are feeling sleepy...now pass over your wallet...
Cheers Andy

Technically I can't fault the eyes...#1 was scary :LOL: #2 wasn't quite...enough. So I think I prefer #1...but that may change after sleep ;)
A lot of people find looking at me a bit scary, but most recover when they look away:LOL:

Unusual and different idea, superb clarity, I also prefer number 1.
I really do like it.
Simon.
Thanks Simon. No.1 seems the general preference.

Right... now im not sure what one to pick... I'll explain.

For me ( and it seems to really be an issue I have with all my pics and other peoples too) the theme "Open" is far better caught by image no 2. The first shot would be perfect in my mind if the theme was "Look". That said the crop is almost to blown up and detail is lost and the image is simply not as good as the first image... So I guess i'd be torn if they where my shots as 1 is the better image and 2 is a better capture of the theme.

That's how I see it anyway... but maybe I focus too much on the theme... which has been ok for me up to now but i'm sure could cause issues in the future... I sort of see it that you should not have to explain your thought process on the theme... maybe im being a **** about this but im a bit compulsive obsesive by nature and the theme part of this really makes a big part of the fun of doing the 52 for me!
Hi Mark, I know what you mean, but I've decided to use the themes more as an inspiration rather get too worried if it is not strictly "on theme". Thanks for your crit which is always thoughtful and thought provoking.

Hi Patrick
what a great take on "open" ,must admit it took me a while to spot the door reflections :bonk:
Super sharp focus for a self portrait as well (y)
Thanks Lynne, took quite a few tries to get focus right

This is a fantastic idea for the 'open' theme and it really works for me - an open door within open eyes, very well done
Thank you.

Thanks for commenting everyone. It's people's comments (good or bad) which will see me through this 52. Patrick

Thanks Patrick for your comments and advice on my efforts so far. I must say having seen your conributions to the Challenge so far I know what I should be aiming for and what is achievable. My favourite is Week 2 New. Fab idea and stunning execution down to the finest detail. Adjusting the lighting on the last one really made a world of difference to what seemed like a perfect picture anyway. Great determination (or too much time on your hands).
I look forward to following the rest of your challenge.
Your comments, as are everyones, are valued and have been noted.

Martin

Thanks Patrick for your comments and advice on my efforts so far. I must say having seen your conributions to the Challenge so far I know what I should be aiming for and what is achievable. My favourite is Week 2 New. Fab idea and stunning execution down to the finest detail. Adjusting the lighting on the last one really made a world of difference to what seemed like a perfect picture anyway. Great determination (or too much time on your hands).
I look forward to following the rest of your challenge.
Your comments, as are everyones, are valued and have been noted.

Martin

Thanks Martin, it's amazing the difference PP can make to a pic. Although I'd rather get a pic as near a possible "in camera", I'm certainly not a purist who is against PP - I think it's part of the creative process just like a film darkroom.
Well done on getting your 52 up to speed so quickly - some good images there.
I'm ready for week 5 now...

Here's week 5 on the theme of "hard". Tried a few ideas, but in the end I liked this simple still life.

My aim with this was a simple pic with some subtle colour and good definition, sharpness, light and contrast.

5413685449_8e9a98f446_z.jpg

Last edited:
It's a bit Ikea but I like the simplicity of this Patrick. You've got a nice variety of colour in there as well.

Plus there's no scary eyebrows to frighten the kids.

Thought your weeks 1 and 2 were excellent by the way.

Last edited:
Hi Patrick,

Great photo and spot on the theme! You have achieved very good definition of the rocks and I believe the fact that there are no small rocks or pebbles is advantage. Have you arranged them in this formation or they were just lying somewhere waiting to be noticed?

Rayna

Hiya Patrick,

As a collector of rocks, minerals and gems I can appreciate your ideas of this theme, especially where you have captured the inclusions.

Having said that, I just wonder if you have lost some spark :thinking:. I don't mean that in a negative way, as your image is good, but after your week 3 you seem to be on a different tangent. Which is good in some respects, as it shows where you feel comfortable, but I just wonder if people aren't gauging the images now to what you produced in week 3. You did set a very high standard with that image, it was absolutely brilliant, and probably one of the best I have seen so far.

You are doing a fantastic job with your 52 and I always look forward to seeing your images.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

many thanks for all replies(y)

It's a bit Ikea but I like the simplicity of this Patrick. You've got a nice variety of colour in there as well.

Plus there's no scary eyebrows to frighten the kids.

Thought your weeks 1 and 2 were excellent by the way.

Thanks Mark, it's the simplicity that appeals to me. Can't promise no more eyebrows but nothing planned for the moment! Overall this week 5 is my personal favourite. Like the Ikea commment - I know what you mean:LOL:

Hi Patrick, great image for this week, there are a couple of interesting patterns, 1 showing like the outline of a head and shoulders, and another which looks like a fish, anyway a nice composition, well done.
Thanks Michael. hadn't noticed the fish:LOL:. I like the patterns too.

Hi Patrick,

Great photo and spot on the theme! You have achieved very good definition of the rocks and I believe the fact that there are no small rocks or pebbles is advantage. Have you arranged them in this formation or they were just lying somewhere waiting to be noticed?

Rayna

Hi Rayna, my aim with this one was to get a simple image with good contrast, sharpness, definition and lighting. They are all pebbles we have collected on various beaches over the years. I think to say I "arranged" them would be overstating it. I sort of chucked them down then moved a few to fill the gaps.

Hiya Patrick,

As a collector of rocks, minerals and gems I can appreciate your ideas of this theme, especially where you have captured the inclusions.

Having said that, I just wonder if you have lost some spark :thinking:. I don't mean that in a negative way, as your image is good, but after your week 3 you seem to be on a different tangent. Which is good in some respects, as it shows where you feel comfortable, but I just wonder if people aren't gauging the images now to what you produced in week 3. You did set a very high standard with that image, it was absolutely brilliant, and probably one of the best I have seen so far.

You are doing a fantastic job with your 52 and I always look forward to seeing your images.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Hi Dawn, interesting comments and I know what you mean about comparing this to previous weeks. Actually, this is my personal favourite along with week 1. (I've slightly gone off the roses/book one from week 2 which a few people liked). My aim with this week 5 was a simple pic with some subtle colour and good definition, sharpness, light and contrast. I did start on a pic involving drain covers and misty figures in the distance (don't ask...), but I liked this simple pic. I'm also really keen to do lots of different stuff with this 52 - I'd like to do more portraits, but I'm so rubbish at them:bonk:. So that can be one of my aims for the 52: improve portrait skills. Cheers, Patrick

Last edited:
Hi Patrick this is my favourite of the weeks nice colours simple as you say but effective..nicely exposed, could be a canvas in there you know:cool:

Colours and exposure are spot on again, you're getting quite a dab hand at this, well done :)

A bit of catch up on this thread, not seen anything past week one, which didn't really grab me if I'm honest.

However, week 2 - WOW - I love the flowers and the detail.
An excellent take on the theme.

Week three image is missing!

Week 4 - open - nice idea and good reflection, but the camera in the reflection detracts for me.

Week 5 - Again, it's not doing anything for me, but, a close-up on one or two of the stones would be good, they have some good detail.

Week 2 for me is the winner and has set the benchmark in your 52.
I'll be checking in to this thread again to looking for another WOW shot!

Hi patrick,

Can't really fault your week 5 shot, your aim was "a simple pic with some subtle colour and good definition, sharpness, light and contrast" and to me you have acheived your goal perfectly.

I like it - well done.

Simon.

Easy on the eye, a nice combination of shapes, colours and textures, what's not to like?

Thanks for all the replies and kind words.
I went out today to do my week 6 and was feeling smug. Got home and realised I've buggered up the focussing. :bonk:
Might be recoverable...watch this space.;)

Great colours, and nice contrasts in there Patrick, I really like it. :)

This is for all the 52ers. There can be a lot of clutter in our lives: physical, intellectual, emotional. Clutter can stop us doing big things, interesting and important things. We only get one life, so put the clutter to one side and do and be what you want.

Here's Og Mandino saying it better than I can.

"Never again clutter your days or nights with
so many menial and unimportant things
that you have no time to accept
a real challenge when it comes along.
This applies to play as well as work.
A day merely survived is no cause for celebration.
You are not here to fritter away your precious hours
when you have the ability to accomplish so much
by making a slight change in your routine.
No more busy work.
No more hiding from success.
Leave time, leave space, to grow.
Now.
Now!
Not tomorrow!"

Og Mandino

So here's my pic. I don't know if these people cluttered their lives with unimportant things, but now they won't get a second chance.

5432370148_cf28e5f5e8_b.jpg

As always C+C very welcome , especially if you say how it can be improved. This is a pretty hectic week for me, so apologies if I don't get to comment on other 52ers pics. But, I promise I'll catch up with commenting next week.

OK, Criticism:
There is lots of dead space in both the foreground and the background. There is nothing of interest to grab the views attention, and make you examine the centre third of the shot. The location is brimming with wonderful textures and potential leading lines and foreground interest.
Maybe, revisit the location (if you can) and try the shot from a different angle, with a head stone in the foreground, leading the eye into the focus of the shot. Or the chain running in from out of shot.
The post and chain on the far left of shot are also distracting and not positioned sympathetically within the shot. Maybe crop tighter to lose them, or clone out in PS.

Also, the light quality is very flat. Maybe if possible shoot later on in the day, or earlier to get a bit more directional light and contrast, to add interest to the shot.

Overall, I like the idea and interpretation of the theme, but think just a little more time spent on composition could really have lifted the shot.

Hope this is helpful rather than annoying..

PS Week 1 and 2 shots are very good!

Rgds

Adie

Last edited:
Back