Patrick's 52 for 2011 - Week 31 "Wind"

Hiya Patrick,

What a difference that has made.

I have had to look at it a few times over because I can't believe the impact the lighten has had. It make the image stand out so much more, my eyes were playing tricks on me and I thought you had done a crop too.

Yep I like the second version even more, infact I :love: it!

Now don't do any more to it because I think it is spot on!

Cheers

Dawn :)

That is an excellent picture. What lens did you use to get that DOF? Tried to look at the exif but got nothing.

Hi patrick,
The edited version is a corker. I love the way you have composed this shot. Everything blends so well together. keep up the very good work
Regards
Ceri

Thanks for comments on the revised version, and thanks to MonkeyDave and James for pointing me in the right direction regarding lightening the shot.

What lens did you use to get that DOF? Tried to look at the exif but got nothing.

Hi Ian, I used a Nikon nifty-50 (50mm f/1.8d) with a Raynox DCR-250 macro convertor which are both very cheap but excellent pieces of glass. Camera was D700 on a tripod.
Settings were:
f/8, 1/20 sec, 50mm, manual exposure and focussing, ISO 400.

The f/8 was the important bit as that gave the DOF I wanted - shutter speed and ISO followed on.

With the DCR-250 it's possible to vary the DOF hugely just by opening or closing the aperture.
Focussing is tricky, so I zoomed in with Live-view to focus then switched to self-timer to minimise camera shake.

I know it all sounds complicated, but it's really pretty easy.

Last edited:
Im lost with the DOF on this one... as it almost apears you have a double in focus area... one for the text and then one for the flower further back... just by the way the shot is lain out from front to back and the face the two text lines are in focus and then the text further back isn't but the flower is...

Or have I missed a PP trick?

Wow I really like that, just beautiful. Mark's on the right line that there's some PP trickery going on there, but that doesn't bother me one bit - a photo is what it is, not what you did to it.

Im lost with the DOF on this one... as it almost apears you have a double in focus area... one for the text and then one for the flower further back... just by the way the shot is lain out from front to back and the face the two text lines are in focus and then the text further back isn't but the flower is...

Or have I missed a PP trick?

Wow I really like that, just beautiful. Mark's on the right line that there's some PP trickery going on there, but that doesn't bother me one bit - a photo is what it is, not what you did to it.

The rose and two clear lines are actually on the same plane of focus because the lens was at a 45 degree angle to the book. The OOF lines are above or below the plane of focus. However, to emphasise the focus differences I added varying amounts of gaussian blur in Photoshop Elements.
Original unprocessed jpeg is here http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5087/5360127012_7a1bb420e9_z.jpg

patrick, i haven't even started on macro, so my only comment can be how beautiful you've captured that shot. the water, and the colour.

Thought so - the in to out of focus transition on the text was too sharp to be true. Again though - not important. It does the job of highlighting the selected text very well.

Deffinatly the second (lighter shot for me. Absolutely stunning photography, beautiful composition and obviously allot of care and attention to detail on this image, very well done (y)(y)

Being honest I prefer the shot as it came out the camera on your flickr rather than the PP one. Im a traditionalist of a photographer though... I only use canons DPP for my PP... so no real fancy business just a bit of curve tweekening and sharpening... and cropping too!

Thanks for all comments, now thinking about "style" - got me stumped at the moment. I really want to do a portrait, but I'm pants at them:LOL:

Being honest I prefer the shot as it came out the camera on your flickr rather than the PP one. Im a traditionalist of a photographer though... I only use canons DPP for my PP... so no real fancy business just a bit of curve tweekening and sharpening... and cropping too!
To be honest Mark I agree with you, but I think we're in a minority.:bonk:

2 very good photos :) Love the second one, and how you have to look into the photo to know why it represents 'new'. The colours are so pleasing, and I think I like what you've done with the DOF, so that we read the lines of the poem that make the photo make sense, but at the same time I like the unedited version... maybe make the cut off of the focus less sharp, so our eyes are still drawn to those 2 lines, but the others aren't so deeply OOF?

Looking forward to seeing your week 3 :) x

I might be going against the grain here but I think the shadows enhance and pick out the fine details especially around the dew droplets. I agree that the image needs to be brighter but not at the loss of that wonderful texture.. I did an edit to show what I mean would you mind if I post it??

Cool

Last edited:
I might be going against the grain here but I think the shadows enhance and pick out the fine details especially around the dew droplets. I agree that the image needs to be brighter but not at the loss of that wonderful texture.. I did an edit to show what I mean would you mind if I post it??

Feel free Matt

What do you think? Just say and I will remove.

What do you think? Just say and I will remove.
Very good Matt. You've brightened the roses but kept the fine detail. You've got a good eye.
Not sure about the very dark patch in the middle, but maybe it's a nice contrast the the lightness of the rest of the pic.

I was so, so, so tempted to do a pic of a stile :LOL:

But here's my week 3 "Style"

5377946146_7a1ab61923_b.jpg

In a bit of a rush past couple of day, so no PP - this is the jpeg straight from the camera.

Like: tells a story, red against the dull background, composition.

Dislike: too much reflection on the shoes (did use a polariser), red not "zinging" the way I want (some PP might help)

Flattery, crit and cries of "what rubbish!" all welcome :)

Now done a bit of PP - see below

Last edited:
Hi, as a fell walker I love this photograph, well thought out!

You've covered the pp issues.

Pity you didn't get the full map in...minor point.

You second shot, by the way, is great...superb dof to draw attention to the text...(y)

Hi Patrick,

Well done for getting a pic and posting even though you say you have been very busy.

I like your idea for the theme, and had a little chuckle to myself as I dread to think how far you would get to in those heels :LOL:

The composition is great and tells a story. Love the way you have positioned the walking boots in the background and the ordinance map and compass add to the storyboard. I agree about the reflection on the red shoes, pity about that.

You said this is straight from the camera, and I think with a bit of post processing you could make this a very interesting image. I have had a play around with it, converting it to a focal b&w with the only colour being the red shoes. I also cropped it top and right and framed it. Personally I don't like to post photos to others threads, but if you would be interested to see what I have produced from your image I can email it to you if you PM your email addy.

I would be keen to see what you produce when you get to pp the image.

Looking forward to seeing what you produce for week 4.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hiya Patrick,

Hmmm, not sure about the processing. The b&w conversion looks totally different to the one I had a play with.

Have you checked the white balance? Perhaps that needs to be corrected before doing the b&w conversion.

If you would like I could post here the image I created from your JPEG, but only if you would be happy for me to, so I can show you what I did.

Cheers

Hi Patrick,

Thanks, I will post it to give you an idea of what I had in mind, and will remove the image if you want.

Bear in mind this was a very quick edit and is by no means perfect, but is more a sketch of the idea. Basically a crop top and right, slight adjustment to wb, sharpen, converted to b&w focal on the red shoes, framed.

5378495352_40e838996f_b.jpg

Hope it shows what I was thinking.

Cheers

Hi Dawn, that's quite fun :clap:.
I like it, although it's not what I was originally aiming for.

I'm going to delete my B+W one 'cos it's so horrid:bonk:

Hi Dawn, that's quite fun :clap:.
I like it, although it's not what I was originally aiming for.

I'm going to delete my B+W one 'cos it's so horrid:bonk:

Thanks, I'm glad you saw the fun in it, because that was the image I got from the story.

Would you like me to remove the image now?

Cheers

Wow! 2 very fine images here and very different. Great stuff on the light trails but the flower/taming of the shrew image is a real belter. To focus on both the water droplets and the two lines in the text is spot on.

Just seen your style entry...

Another very creative shot - how early in the morning did you shoot this? I only ask because of the blue cast that might be affecting the red.

Also agree with comment about losing corner of the map.

Like the shot but agree with others that the white balance seems slightly off. Quite enjoyed Dawn's selective colour version as well.

Hiya Patrick,
Have you checked the white balance?

Patrick I look at your original and wonder if your colour problem isn't a white balance issue?
I love the composition but agree the whole map should be there. Rather like Dawns treatment.

Just seen your style entry...
Another very creative shot - how early in the morning did you shoot this? I only ask because of the blue cast that might be affecting the red.

Like the shot but agree with others that the white balance seems slightly off.

Shot was taken late morning today in overcast cloudy conditions.
HOWEVER, looking at the camera just now I realise I have left it on WB for tungsten lighting from when I was doing some indoor shots.:bonk: This just shows how valuable it is having other people's crit. I would not have noticed the colour cast on my own.

I have now put the pic throught the "Remove Colour Cast" function in Photoshop Elements and come up with this. Let me know if it looks right.

5378608881_5e13b61276_b.jpg

Back