weekly Paul's Infrared TP 52 for 2021: Week 19 to 23 Added!

Week 14 was Spring!

Spring indeed and a glorious day! Catching up with my photo a week and took this in my local graveyard.
The new growth of primroses were starting to come through in abundance and this little one caught my eye with the dappled spring sunshine highlighting the flowers. Additionally it's a perfect shot for both the theme of Spring and the Low Key technique challenge this month.

Shot on a Panasonic G3 converted for infrared photography, processed in Lightroom and Silver Efex.

Week 14 - Spring
by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shot for smooth. I would never have guessed this was infra-red. Unlike Easter - lots of detail in there I always feel it makes it look a bit like winter and snow. It sort of plays with your head doesn't it?

The light picks the petals out nicely in your spring shot. On theme for the technique too.

Last edited:
Nice catchup Paul!

I'm a sucker for IR churchyards, so Easter works best for me and the IR coupled with the sunshine, blue sky and green grass, has really made the image pop. I really like either the selective blurring or the narrow DoF to isolate the subject and give the image an overall more dreamy feel. Works well.

Nice catchup Paul!

I'm a sucker for IR churchyards, so Easter works best for me and the IR coupled with the sunshine, blue sky and green grass, has really made the image pop. I really like either the selective blurring or the narrow DoF to isolate the subject and give the image an overall more dreamy feel. Works well.

Thanks Ian, yep it was indeed f1.8, the olympus 17mm just seems to work really well with this little panasonic and infrared for some reason.

That’s a super low key shot, just enough light on the flowers.

Your smooth is another excellent choice, really nicely done.

Cheers, I got fairly lucky with the primroses as they were in the same graveyard as the Easter shot, had to hunt about a little bit as they were springing up everywhere but the shots in full sun were coming out rubbish as they blurred into the grass, but finding this little one in shadow and dapples of sunshine, I just had to take that shot.

Week 15 - Snapper's Choice.

Shot on Aldeburgh Beach in Suffolk, UK on a cool but bright and beautiful day. There's not a lot to say about this shot, it just caught my eye due to the patina and neglect of the two old boats and the position of them just looked good.

Shot on a Panasonic G3 converted for infrared photography, processed in Lightroom and Silver Efex.

Week 15 - Snapper's Choice

On comment catchup!!

Smooth
An image concept I've seen a couple of times, though never in mono. The shadowing to the left results in the respective fork losing detail. I think if I try this I would attempt to balance the egg with the ends of the forks off the ground.

Alive
It has a very high key appearance probably due to the IR conversion. A bit difficult to see the subject but as an idea it's meets the theme.

Easter
Nice level of detail against the empty sky, composition works well with everything within its own space and not too busy

Spring
Really nice lighting picking out the main features with the out of focus background adding to the overall feel

Snapper's Choice
The IR conversion produces stark images and this is no different. I like the composition but might have left more space about the main boat in the top left.

Week 16 - Out & About

Week 16 - Out & About

Sunny harsh light, normally a time photographers avoid, but, with Infrared? It seems to be one of the best times of day!
This is a shot of Stevington Windmill in Bedfordshire and the rolling countryside beyond on a clear, cool spring day.

Last edited:
Out and about
It looks stunning. The darker area at the bottom really hold in together.

Really nicely done that. I've considered having one of my old DSLRs converted (Probably D700) but never progressed with it.

The boats shot is fab too. Is that a contrail low down in the sky? Whatever it is I'd have removed it.

Last edited:
On comment catchup!!

Smooth
An image concept I've seen a couple of times, though never in mono. The shadowing to the left results in the respective fork losing detail. I think if I try this I would attempt to balance the egg with the ends of the forks off the ground.

Alive
It has a very high key appearance probably due to the IR conversion. A bit difficult to see the subject but as an idea it's meets the theme.

Easter
Nice level of detail against the empty sky, composition works well with everything within its own space and not too busy

Spring
Really nice lighting picking out the main features with the out of focus background adding to the overall feel

Snapper's Choice
The IR conversion produces stark images and this is no different. I like the composition but might have left more space about the main boat in the top left.

Cheers for the comments, in particular Alive was a difficult one I have to admit and was a bit rushed, not sure it really does it justice in IR at all.
as for the boats one, funny you say about leaving more space, I look at it and want to take even more off the top so that the boat edge literally starts at the top left corner lol.

Out and about
It looks stunning. The darker area at the bottom really hold in together.

Cheers mate, to be honest that's pure luck, looks like the farmer has literally just tilled the whole section!

Really nicely done that. I've considered having one of my old DSLRs converted (Probably D700) but never progressed with it.

The boats shot is fab too. Is that a contrail low down in the sky? Whatever it is I'd have removed it.

Contrail indeed but to be honest it doesn't bother me enough to remove it and it sort of flows in the direction of the left boat pointing. As for converting your DSLR, problem is it would probably cost upwards of £200 unless you have a go yourself, I'd not be brave enough. I just bought a converted camera off ebay :) cheaper and less hassle.

Thanks again all for the comments, they're gratefully received. (y)

Out and About: Love this shot. This is the sort of scene that to me really suits infra red. Fabulous sky.

Snapper's Choice: I wouldn't have been able to tell this one was IR. I think the viewpoint you've chosen is good with the leading lines along the boat taking us to the bow.

Snappers Choice. I'm surprised that I actually recognised the boat when I looked at this. Glad you pointed out it was Aldeburgh otherwise I'd have been head scratching for quite a while :)
Out and about... love this shot. I've enjoyed your images so far and have now sent an old camera off for IR conversion!

Snappers Choice. I'm surprised that I actually recognised the boat when I looked at this. Glad you pointed out it was Aldeburgh otherwise I'd have been head scratching for quite a while :)
Out and about... love this shot. I've enjoyed your images so far and have now sent an old camera off for IR conversion!

Thanks for the comments and congrats on going for a bit of IR! what conversion have you gone for?

Thanks for the comments and congrats on going for a bit of IR! what conversion have you gone for?

I've sent a Fuji x100s for 830nm conversion. I'm not a fan of the false colour format.
Both the R5 and my old 5DII didn't work brilliantly with an IR filter so I'm looking forward to seeing some improved results on a converted camera.

Week 17 - Shapes

On a trip out today with the wife and happened upon this old abandoned barn on the side of the road near Daventry, Northamptonshire and just had to take a look. I took a few shots but this is one of the favourites and meets week 17's theme in my photo a week challenge.

I love the geometry of the beams and rafters which practically scream triangles, rectangles and probably even parallelograms everywhere. Certainly a testament to the workmanship given this roof is still standing when some of the brick walls have holes you could walk through! And no, I don't mean doors LOL

Week 17 - Shapes

Lots of shapes in this one Paul. Works well.

Nicely exposed and very 'shapely'.

Shapes
Old barn trusses always look great. Done in black and white or in your case ir, gives a much more graphical (is that the right word?) feel. I'm not sure it would have worked in colour.

Falling behind again due to work :-( but Im determined to plough on. However this is a bit of a snap as opposed to something planned for Week 18's Number category. I've not had time for planning a shot due to work etc. so this was a lucky catch in town on Saturday just gone. I waited for someone to wander by and give the shot some life and this lady kindly obliged.

The building is in the middle of Bedford Town, UK and is now owned by the council I believe and houses a coffee shop.

Week 18 - Numbers

Last edited:
Numbers
Good positioning of the lady. You could maybe have lost a bit off of the bottom, but I do like it.

Numbers
Good positioning of the lady. You could maybe have lost a bit off of the bottom, but I do like it.

yeah for sure, it really was a grab shot, I did have another of a cyclist in the left corner of the frame going left to right but was a bit blurry and even more road :-( This was the best of a bad lot lol. BUT it helps keep me on track and keeps me in the game :banana:

Agree with the crop but a good shot and fits the theme well :)

Ticks the box in several ways - the name of the place and the numbers at the top. I agree with Dominic on crop and well positioned woman.

I'd quite like to see the blurry cyclist, I can imagine a very blurry cyclist across it might work well :) Perhaps he wasn't blurry enough?

Works well with the infra red conversion, agree with others about cropping from the bottom. Seeing a composition and knowing it just needs that extra element is something I need to get better at, so that I'm telling a story as opposed to just taking a photograph. You look like you already tick the box for being aware of a scene.

Ticks the box in several ways - the name of the place and the numbers at the top. I agree with Dominic on crop and well positioned woman.

I'd quite like to see the blurry cyclist, I can imagine a very blurry cyclist across it might work well :) Perhaps he wasn't blurry enough?

sadly he was blurry as in out of focus not a speedy blur :-/

Nice number 13 unlucky for some. as other have said a slight crop to improve, good use of a passing person.

Pete

Week 19 - Toys

Toys, yes well, these are two of my recent purchases, a new motorhome to enjoy life before and after retirement as well as a new Brompton folding bike, which I've always wanted.

Week 19 - Toys by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 20 - Artificial

Fell way way behind, this is a shot from the May/June list!

As you can see from the title the theme was Artificial and this is all I could come up with, ie artificial sweetener. Don't judge me, lol. OK well do but bear in mind this is IR so the pink of the packets don't show very well at all so I decided to go the whole hog and de-emphasise them.

Week 20 - Artificial by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 21 - Pattern

Pattern, well there it is, this is a very simple shot of a blanket bought for the motorhome seat to protect from the dogs jumping up on it and I just liked the pattern and the way it goes off into the top corner, kind of reminds me of a racing circuit for some reason.

Week 21 - Pattern by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 22 - Up Close

Another from the May/June series being posted in November.

Up close meant digging out the macro lens and attempting to use it hand held with the light coming in from the bedroom window on a gloomy day in November! Challenging but worthwhile.

I enhanced the clarity and structure in this shot to give it an almost angry animalistic look and increase the grain which works well in monochrome shots.

Week 22 - Up Close by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 23 - Personal

Another from the May/June series being posted in November.

Personal and on a rainy day when still life is a good option, nice and overcast natural light at the patio doors, what better than personal grooming items.

I like the way the light casts shadow on some on the subjects but also the grain of the cut throat razor handle contrasting with the grain (and it's direction) of the table below are in opposition, and yet harmony.

Week 23 - Personal by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Back