PC, Build Or Buy?

Happy days (y)

5.gif

Should we open the odds on this as to the cause of the delay :)

- Component not working 10-1
- Thrown through a window 5-1
- Dropped something and broke it 8-1
- Snapped something forcing it into the hole 4-1
- Windows not playing 2-1
- Need another part 3-1
Making sure everyone here is behaving. Odds on favourite (y)

So a 4TB SSD (either SATA or NVME) inside the case would be no more expensive and come with distinct speed benefits.
As long as it's properly backed up..... (I have one of those too)
TBH I wouldn't advise most people to go to 10Gbps as you won't see over 4.5Gbps but the jump to 2.5Gbps is well worth it and, as I said earlier, it's now standard on many motherboards and NAS so only a switch is needed. 2.5GBps also has the advantage of running over CAT5 cables.

Should we open the odds on this as to the cause of the delay :)

- Component not working 10-1
- Thrown through a window 5-1
- Dropped something and broke it 8-1
- Snapped something forcing it into the hole 4-1
- Windows not playing 2-1
- Need another part 3-1

lol, 5/1 sounds about right. :LOL:

I'm hoping to start over the weekend, I need to know I have a few hours clear without interuptions. Having an 11 year old running about whilst her Mum is at her Mum's as she's had a fall means there are tons of interuptions. Plus I have Schedule 1 commitments on Sunday (as it kicks back in on Feb 1st) and possibly into the week.

If I get a sleepless night, which often happens, I may have a go then.

Don't worry, it's coming soon, I can't wait to be unshackled from my current PC. I'm confident the new PC will be up and running by mid week next week. (y)

Have you at least, unboxed it yet? ;)

Why isn't there a livestream, complete with random swearwords as things don't go in their respective slots properly?
I've often though I need to start a Youtube channel along those lines, when I'm looking up how to do something say change the brake pads on a pedal bike and they show someone who is an expert at it doing the process on a spotless bike they've no doubt practiced it many times on so everything is well lubricated and moves easily. However when it comes to doing the same process on my own bike, I'm not an expert, the bike is definitely not spotless and parts are not moving smoothly at all resulting in sustained violence and many harsh words being shouted in an increasing volume. But probably more accurate to how it is for many others.

Good to see the OP is building their own PC and I have my fingers crossed for them. Particularly these days with it getting harder to avoid RGB lighting and other nonsense I built my own desktop a couple of years ago, it was a bit of stress choosing the parts but well worth it in the end to get a PC that's exactly what I want.

I am in a simillar situation, I built my pc in 2014, i3 dual core cpu and it is feeling it's age now.

I did a complete fresh install of windows about 2 years ago which sorted the slowness of it out, but I think a new Mobo, cpu and memory will be needed.

I shall look at what you have chosen, hope the dog is feeling better.

Looks like a useful kit of parts. I hope your dog gets better soon (it can be a problem when they eat your homework ;))…

Best I can offer, for now.
( our dog has been poorly overnight and a Vet trip is on the cards this morning, so build will have to wait a bit longer).

View attachment 379798
Sorry to hear about the dog. Hope it`s nothing serious.

Nice pile of parts. I bet you`re itching to get going on it ;)

Sorry to hear about the dog. Hope it`s nothing serious.

;)

Back from the Vet and they're not too concerned, she has a bit of a fever but not scary. Looks like something she's eaten or picked up outside. An injection, some tablets and £75 later, all should be good.

Nice pile of parts. I bet you`re itching to get going on it ;)

Cheers.

Yup, all excited, although a day or so more won't hurt. If I do get that sleepless night, I may have a go then when all is quiet. Last night was sleepless saying that but for dog duties.

Back from the Vet and they're not too concerned, she has a bit of a fever but not scary. Looks like something she's eaten or picked up outside. An injection, some tablets and £75 later, all should be good.

Cheers.

Yup, all excited, although a day or so more won't hurt. If I do get that sleepless night, I may have a go then when all is quiet. Last night was sleepless saying that but for dog duties.
That`s good news then. But dogs too seem to have a habit of eating anything they can get their nose into...

Look forward to seeing it up `n` running (y)

Disco Dale`s PC :)

Nice to see you have a little bit of RGB colour - it'll be disco nights until 3am now....

I'm looking forward to seeing the end result as this is something i fancy doing myself. My son has built his own gaming PC so I can always call on him for assistance, for no doubt when it will be required.

How did you get on using Box & Scan, hopefully all went well with the purchases ?

How did you get on using Box & Scan, hopefully all went well with the purchases ?
I've recently built my own PC as well - and had never heard of Box - but they were the best on price for some of the bits I needed, and also had a little (tiny) cashback on Topcashback - and the bits were delivered in 24 hours on both occasions. I've used Scan before - but this time the best prices were either Box, Ebuyer and Novatech, It's all a bit of swings and roundabouts - but you can save a few pounds if you stick with the big names, shop around, and keep an eye on cashback options....

How did you get on using Box & Scan,

Both excellent. I've had 2 orders with Box now and they were both flawless, even with the cheapeat delivery onotins the components were in my hands within 48 hours, the first order was actaully less than 24 hours.

Scan were great too although the mobo ws out of stock and it kept getting knocked back, first the 11th of January, then the 31st then 28th Feb. This has been the biggest hold up to my build. To be fair though, it was not Scan's fault, it was out of their hands as they couldn't get supplies of the particular mobo I ordered.

Both excellent. I've had 2 orders with Box now and they were both flawless, even with the cheapeat delivery onotins the components were in my hands within 48 hours, the first order was actaully less than 24 hours.

Scan were great too although the mobo ws out of stock and it kept getting knocked back, first the 11th of January, then the 31st then 28th Feb. This has been the biggest hold up to my build. To be fair though, it was not Scan's fault, it was out of their hands as they couldn't get supplies of the particular mobo I ordered.
Glad to hear that Dale, that was my son's experience using both companies.

I am looking forward to seeing the finished pc.

A nice graphics card there, I hope it wasn't too expensive what with the craziness going on just now with GPUs. It now feels like you buy a graphics card and build the PC around that! lol

A nice graphics card there, I hope it wasn't too expensive what with the craziness going on just now with GPUs. It now feels like you buy a graphics card and build the PC around that! lol
Reading this thread and your post prompted me to look at RTX 2060 prices......a tad more palatable than the 3060 £'s but still costly......... :thinking: :thinking::thinking: I will have to cross check specs and whether it is a stopgap in my current rig/box to replace my GTX1050Ti until I can justify a full rebuild like @Dale.

I look forward to seeing & hearing about your build.

Last edited:
Reading this thread and your post prompted me to look at RTX 2060 prices......a tad more palatable than the 3060 £'s but still costly......... :thinking: :thinking::thinking: I will have to cross check specs and whether it is a stopgap in my current rig/box to replace my GTX1050Ti until I can justify a full rebuild like @Dale.

I look forward to seeing & hearing about your build.

It could be worth keeping an eye on Nvidia's own shop and in particular their own RTX3060Ti FE. It's excellent value at £369 for a Founders Edition and plenty of power. I got lucky when refreshing the screen and it suddenly changed to being in stock, so I snapped it up. Ships via Scan.

I'm using Afterburner for a mild overclock but have undervolted it via custom graphing so it's not only using less energy but is running cooler as well. I initially wasn't sure if I would see any difference coming from a 1660 Super, but this bad boy can run max graphics settings on my super wide monitor without a sweat, so I'm sure you would see a considerable difference from a 1050Ti. Raytracing is quite good as well, although not a game changer. The most noticeable difference for me is with PCVR as the 3060 can really handle that now.

Linky to Nvidia shop for card

TBH I'm not sure that, if I were going to the expense of building a new PC that I'd use a 20xx gen card now. 3060s seem to regularly appear around £350ish, so I'd go for that. 18 months ago it was a bit different, and I ended up with an xt6600 which is probably OK, but I'd have preferred the 3060.

It could be worth keeping an eye on Nvidia's own shop and in particular their own RTX3060Ti FE. It's excellent value at £369 for a Founders Edition and plenty of power. I got lucky when refreshing the screen and it suddenly changed to being in stock, so I snapped it up. Ships via Scan.

I'm using Afterburner for a mild overclock but have undervolted it via custom graphing so it's not only using less energy but is running cooler as well. I initially wasn't sure if I would see any difference coming from a 1660 Super, but this bad boy can run max graphics settings on my super wide monitor without a sweat, so I'm sure you would see a considerable difference from a 1050Ti. Raytracing is quite good as well, although not a game changer. The most noticeable difference for me is with PCVR as the 3060 can really handle that now.

Linky to Nvidia shop for card

Thx for the heads up.

I found the 2060 @ £279, so £369 for more recent tech is not too far out of court....though my aim is not gaming but AI demanding post processing e.g. DxO PL6, Topaz programs et al. Can I ask which brand card was it that you got? Looking on Scan they have the Zotac version @£399 and IIRC my 1050Ti is a Zotac.

TBH I'm not sure that, if I were going to the expense of building a new PC that I'd use a 20xx gen card now. 3060s seem to regularly appear around £350ish, so I'd go for that. 18 months ago it was a bit different, and I ended up with an xt6600 which is probably OK, but I'd have preferred the 3060.
Thx, I need to double check my power specs.....IIRC my PSU is 650w and I did overspec that at the time. My CPU is a 1st Gen Intel i5 Quad core.

At £360 I might justify it ?

PS I think I recall having a previous (some years back) GPU that needed extra power connection but no idea where I put the cable (direct into PSU up GPU connection). Would running it off a spare Molex with a splitter be adequate?

PPS indeed does the retail pack have the cable?

Thx for the heads up.

I found the 2060 @ £279, so £369 for more recent tech is not too far out of court....though my aim is not gaming but AI demanding post processing e.g. DxO PL6, Topaz programs et al. Can I ask which brand card was it that you got? Looking on Scan they have the Zotac version @£399 and IIRC my 1050Ti is a Zotac.

Thx, I need to double check my power specs.....IIRC my PSU is 650w and I did overspec that at the time. My CPU is a 1st Gen Intel i5 Quad core.

At £360 I might justify it ?

PS I think I recall having a previous (some years back) GPU that needed extra power connection but no idea where I put the cable (direct into PSU up GPU connection). Would running it off a spare Molex with a splitter be adequate?

PPS indeed does the retail pack have the cable?

It's a Founders Edition, so Nvidia's own with software and hardware untouched/untweaked by third party companies. I don't think I could get to it directly on Scan but have to go through the Nvidia store to get access to it on Scan. There must be some arrangement in place I guess?

It will need a dedicated 6+2 pin from your PSU. If it's a modular PSU I would guess that you will have the cable in the original box? I'm not sure about the molex and adapter route with a high power GPU and if the molex would have the capacity to cope - possible overheating issue? I'm not sure.

I've never known a graphics card to come with a 6+2pin cable, but there's plenty on Amazon (so long as your PSU is modular) link

Just to add some confusion, the 3060Ti FE is actually 12 pins (as is the 3070, 3080 and 3090) but has an adapter for connecting the standard 6+2pin to it, so nothing to worry about but does cause a little confusion if like me you don't inspect the contents of the box carefully enough and then panic when your 6+2pin won't fit! lol

It's a Founders Edition, so Nvidia's own with software and hardware untouched/untweaked by third party companies. I don't think I could get to it directly on Scan but have to go through the Nvidia store to get access to it on Scan. There must be some arrangement in place I guess?

It will need a dedicated 6+2 pin from your PSU. If it's a modular PSU I would guess that you will have the cable in the original box? I'm not sure about the molex and adapter route with a high power GPU and if the molex would have the capacity to cope - possible overheating issue? I'm not sure.

I've never known a graphics card to come with a 6+2pin cable, but there's plenty on Amazon (so long as your PSU is modular) link

Just to add some confusion, the 3060Ti FE is actually 12 pins (as is the 3070, 3080 and 3090) but has an adapter for connecting the standard 6+2pin to it, so nothing to worry about but does cause a little confusion if like me you don't inspect the contents of the box carefully enough and then panic when your 6+2pin won't fit! lol
Thanks again for the detailed insight.

Yes, my PSU is modular but mentioned IIRC I removed a cable and thought it might be/was the GPU power connector... ......I will have, for my peace of mind, investigate and either identify the cable just tucked out of the way in the case or try to remember what the heck I did with it!!!

The Nvidia UK shop is completely out-of-stock of anything affordable. :mad:

Yeah I found that I had to keep trying, although I did spot a heads up in the forums which helped. The members at Overclockers seem to be in the know a lot of the time, with keeping an eye out there.

Back