Pedal Power Thread

What's all this about great weather yesterday? It was horrible here so I didn't get out :(

Bright sunshine, 20 degree temperatures, 30 odd mph wind gusts? It was beautiful here! ;)

Haha we had the ridiculous winds, along with 10-15 degrees temperature, and intermittent overcast/showers/short downpours.

Today is hotter and sunnier but with strong winds again. I think I'll be going out if the weather is the same in a couple of hours.

The wind is pretty relentless at the moment. Even got blown sideways on my commute this morning. Once it finally dies down I will be even happier!

Just got in from a measly 20km ride today. I had planned to go further but the wind was too demoralising so I wimped out and turned around. Stacked up a measly 18kmph average over that distance too, with 234m of climbing. Utterly terrible figures!

On one descent I was 3 gears easier than usual, and my legs were gone by the bottom whereas usually it's a bit of a recovery even in a much harder gear. I didn't even feel any benefit of a tailwind on the climb back up.

I'm going to convince myself this wind is blowing in the summer weather so it has some redeeming qualities!

Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes the legs just are not there.

Without the bad days there would be no good days.

Take a couple of days off, refresh the body and get on the bike again. The most important thing, when you get back on the bike, is to ignore the bad day and attack the ride as you normally would.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes the legs just are not there.

Without the bad days there would be no good days.

Take a couple of days off, refresh the body and get on the bike again. The most important thing, when you get back on the bike, is to ignore the bad day and attack the ride as you normally would.

Thanks for that. I don't think it was so much the legs as the head. I turned out of my drive into a short, gentle uphill but full on headwind and basically gave up there and then after 300 meters. I defeated myself with thinking how hard it's going to be straight away. It makes a rare change from my usual stubbornness :D

winds = dutch alpine training :)

I love hill climbing. You get to the top and achieve something. Wind is different. No matter how far you go you never beat it. It's relentless and soul destroying. Can you tell I'm in a good mood?

I love hill climbing. You get to the top and achieve something. Wind is different. No matter how far you go you never beat it. It's relentless and soul destroying. Can you tell I'm in a good mood?

that's why I said Training and not Climbing... Mostly (from remembered days of misery years ago) training IS a lot about relentless hard slog... Doing "hill repeats" up and down the same hill, each time trying to ride as fast/faster than the last - until half way up the last time, you either blow up, or blow chunks!... yeah, training isn't about fun. It's about being able to kick everyone's harris at a later date...

I just want the wind to stop a bit. The commute this afternoon was just stupid. Strong headwind all the way with some real nasty gusts as well. Still, it's all good exercise!

I officially suck at changing tubes ;(
Always struggle when need to change one …

On my way to work, I have noticed that now and then my back wheel makes some noise – not sure if it is wheel or sprocket or breaks..it sends small vibration to whole bike as well
Is there a possibility that I have messed something when placing wheel back on the bike ? wheel seems to be align to the frame.
It definitely comes from back of the bike.
It is hard to describe the noise as well.
Should I be worried? Or just try to take wheel off again and put it back ?
And it is not regular… I may cycle for longer while and nothing happens..maybe when I shift my weight on the bike from back to front or other way around ?

I would just check it is sat properly in the bracket and then check that you haven't knocked the rear derallieur out of line. Make sure the chain is running through cleanly. Do you have disc brakes at all?

I would just check it is sat properly in the bracket and then check that you haven't knocked the rear derallieur out of line. Make sure the chain is running through cleanly. Do you have disc brakes at all?

gears change just fine and no disc breaks on
6767805661_1747cb6928_b.jpg

;)

On my way to work, I have noticed that now and then my back wheel makes some noise – not sure if it is wheel or sprocket or breaks..it sends small vibration to whole bike as well
Is there a possibility that I have messed something when placing wheel back on the bike ? wheel seems to be align to the frame.
And it is not regular… I may cycle for longer while and nothing happens..maybe when I shift my weight on the bike from back to front or other way around ?

with the wheel in place, lift the wheel off the ground can you move it around in the frame or on the axle?

sounds like the bearings could be screwed, youd get some play in the wheel though.

I'd check that the wheel is settled completely into the rear dropouts - it is possible sometimes to tighten the wheel (via QR) with the axle not in physical contact with the solid surface of the dropout (in the case of vertical dropouts) OR with the wheel not straight in the frame in the case of track ends or slotted dropouts. (again, the fastening can be via Tracknuts or QR setups)

Also, check that you've seated the tyre straight on the rim - it is sometimes possible for the tyre to swing L/R slightly if the tyre beads aren't in exactly the correct place on the rim.

other than that, it's a case of lifting the bike off its wheels (put it in a workstand, invert it or whatever you need to do to get a good view of "the oily bits"), rotating the wheel and looking for something that's moving or rubbing that shouldn't...

Edit: after seeing the bike - open the brake QR, remove the wheel, check theres no muck around the rear wheel spindle or in the dropout arch, refit the wheel, ensuring the axle is firmly against the arch of the dropout, tighten the QR and then check for any lateral play/movement at the wheel rim. If there is, it could be wheel bearings - but my money is still on the wheel not being replaced correctly, or an incorrectly tightened Quick Release Lever

thanks guys.
after pumping the tyre i have checked how it spins and for any bumps in it and seemd fine.
Will take it of and try to clean it.
will try to do it while at work ;)

is there a chance its the wind on those deeper rims?

I only suggested the disc brakes as mine are a PITA and only adjust from one side reliably- sometimes the disc rubs and sounds like I am cycling along sharpening knives!

Nice bike by the way Lukas! (Shame about the pedals though! :p)

I only suggested the disc brakes as mine are a PITA and only adjust from one side reliably- sometimes the disc rubs and sounds like I am cycling along sharpening knives!

Nice bike by the way Lukas! (Shame about the pedals though! :p)

;p
they have clips on one side...just sold my specialized shoes as clips are not for me...just doesnt feel right for me and am thinking that I will fell of pedals in them,...

;p
they have clips on one side...just sold my specialized shoes as clips are not for me...just doesnt feel right for me and am thinking that I will fell of pedals in them,...

You fall a couple of times and then you get used to it. That is what happened to me. In fact I fell outside of work in the most embarrasing fashion possible but the being clipped in does make a big difference to cycling for me. Still, I am sure you are faster than I am! ;)

It sounds like it could be bearings in the rear hub but there's all sorts it could be.

Start with the brakes. Check that the pads aren't rubbing the rim at all, and that the brake cables are travelling freely without any crud causing them to stick on.

Next check over your rear derailleur alignment. Problems with the groupset has a fairly distinctive noise because it usually involves the chain rubbing somewhere and stops the moment you stop peddling, so it's unlikely to be this.

Third check over the wheel itself. I'd take it off and then put back on to be sure it's mounted straight, pushed it tightly into the rear dropouts, and that the bolts/QR are tight.

You may want to check the spokes over to be sure one hasn't worked itself loose. Take something metal and just tap each spoke in turn. The note each produce should be the same (not perfectly, but close). Any drastic difference and you'll need to get it sorted.

Finally, is the hub itself. Flip the bike over if you don't have a workstand and feel for any left/right play in the wheel. Turn the pedals a few times and listen for any sort of grating. Also look from directly behind and see there's any left/right sway of the wheel.

Last edited:
ok..took wheel off
cleaned fittings and arch
put it back, adjusted derailer and now will see when on way home ;)

So ride home was good
Bike behaved better but had the 'noise' again...
I said it couldn't be breaks but I think it was breaks :)
But this time only small adjustment to breaks helped.

So I was wrong but a least cleaned bike a bit;)

chain gang in this wind....#itsgonnabetough

Short sharp efforts on the front are the order of the day. I have to say when its very windy like this i don't like having a tail wind and a train. It's so easy to end up on top of the wheel in front.

Solo training in the wind is where its at, put this effort in last night after work.

Short sharp efforts on the front are the order of the day. I have to say when its very windy like this i don't like having a tail wind and a train. It's so easy to end up on top of the wheel in front.

Solo training in the wind is where its at, put this effort in last night after work.

30kmph average on your own? That's a very nice ride!

Back