Pedal Power Thread

Can someone recommend me some bikes to look out for..

My car is broken again, so for the last week, I've been riding my pretty poor apollo phaze from halfords to work and enjoying it. Its about 2 miles each way, or 4 miles if I take the long route.

I used to ride everywhere, but as soon as I passed my car test, I stopped, only briefly taking it up again a few years ago on a whim, but then had major spinal surgery and stopped again..
My last bike was a gt aggressor, and it was pretty good, I bought this Apollo last year when I was in halfords buying something else. My ex school friend who runs the bike place there managed to talk me into it somehow.
Now its gets me from a to b, but is hellishly uncomfortable and slow, plus the forks have no lockout, so trying to pull away at lights is fun.

So I'm on the lookout for a good quality bike that can handle the commute, but also can be taken off road on the local canal paths and I have the Forest of Dean not far away.

So far on my list is..

Carrera Vulcan
Voodoo hoodoo
Gt aggressor

I'm going to have to buy second hand and my budget is £250 tops, I'd rather spend less, but I know that's asking a lot.
I don't mind older bikes, I don't have to have the latest models or last year models.

I'm searching eBay daily, but I get so confused by what's good and what's not.. Especially when it comes to components, I have no clue.

Any help and pointers would be muchly appreciated!

I'm trying really, really, REALLY hard not to be jealous mate...

And failing dismally. I'd love to do that one, but given it's location at the other end of the country, coupled with all the other logistical things, it's nearly as tough for me to sign up for as the Etape du Tour would be...

Next year! Plan ahead and come down for 2014 DD.

Next year! Plan ahead and come down for 2014 DD.

I'm thinking that my challenge for next year needs to be a weekend riding the 2 Yorkshire TdF stages to be honest... better get training on the hills first - still suffering from a bad case of CCFS, despite the slightly improved power/weight ratio over the last 2 years.

I'm thinking that my challenge for next year needs to be a weekend riding the 2 Yorkshire TdF stages to be honest... better get training on the hills first - still suffering from a bad case of CCFS, despite the slightly improved power/weight ratio over the last 2 years.

The DD is only a little trip and leaves from pretty central London, c'mon do it!

Same for the rest of you too- a 2014 TP DD massive! ;)

theres the problem Jim - London. I can fly to Girona, spend 3-4 days riding and stay in a decent hotel, and fly back for the cost of a train ticket to london and back, plus the cost of getting back from the coast...

It's fine if you're unfortunate enough to live in the smoke, and better still if you've a mate with a van that can get you back home for a couple of beer tokens, but for me, it's a lot of money to ride somewhere without seeing any of the scenery...

well all is not well in bike build land - my custom tuned fox van rc does not fit the frame :( the top eyelets don't match up as the linkage hits the top of the shock.

The DD is only a little trip and leaves from pretty central London, c'mon do it!

Same for the rest of you too- a 2014 TP DD massive! ;)

Guess you are on the road right now - perfect weather hopefully at least. I know you've put the miles in, but it's still quite a trek.

Hope you're enjoying it - let us know how you get on.

Dunwich reached just before 9am. Feeling fine and probably could have kept on going to get the 200km if that had been an option. Weather was not great- rain and drizzle for large parts and cold and windy at dunwich. Managed coffee and crisps at the pub though.

Great ride, if a little chaotic. Has helped me get my distances up too. Next thing will be to enter some Audaxes I think.

So, Dunwich Dynamo done for this year. Feeling great after a bath and a good clean up. 181.9km or 113 miles in 11.5 hours (8h 40mins moving), I don't think that is too bad! Metric and Imperial centuries on consecutive saturdays, so am pleased with the distances I am covering. Cycling through the night is weird, at about 2am things got a bit visually surreal, with the tarmac glistening under the LED lights and the other lights being used adding to the colour.

swapped the reducers round and fitted the shock. got most of the bits on now bar the chain and setting up the gears/trim cables and outers. then I need to set the shock up

969013_10201442374442866_1781057463_n.jpg

1011975_10201442373082832_456327593_n.jpg

So, Dunwich Dynamo done for this year. Feeling great after a bath and a good clean up. 181.9km or 113 miles in 11.5 hours (8h 40mins moving), I don't think that is too bad! Metric and Imperial centuries on consecutive saturdays, so am pleased with the distances I am covering. Cycling through the night is weird, at about 2am things got a bit visually surreal, with the tarmac glistening under the LED lights and the other lights being used adding to the colour.

Congrats - did you do it on your own or with some friends, or just meet people along the way? I've heard the atmosphere is generally pretty good.

The lights you mention, are you sure you were not just in need of a bit more nutrition! ;)

Hope the legs feel ok tomorrow - you cycling in or having the day off?

Congrats - did you do it on your own or with some friends, or just meet people along the way? I've heard the atmosphere is generally pretty good.

The lights you mention, are you sure you were not just in need of a bit more nutrition! ;)

Hope the legs feel ok tomorrow - you cycling in or having the day off?

With some friends that had done it before.

It wasn't just me that mentioned the lights, it is a weird state to be in!

Not cycling tomorrow, commuting bike is very broken!

Had a bad experience yesterday...
I was on foot, crossing the street on green light...
This cyclist was coming pretty fast-he crossed on red, and in those situations I just go as it is my right to cross.
He shouted something on me as he had to slow down and go round me.
I shouted back that he is a moron -I got told of by doing that later by my missus...
So he stopped, turned around and started arguing.
He was aggressive.
When I said he had red light, he said he is not a car...when I said that he said something my way,he said he was just listening to music...

Then a combination of swear words was addressed in my direction but I just started to walk away-that was lost cause anyway..

Few seconds later he got almost hit by bus that was stopping and he -cyclist, just joined the street without looking for incoming traffic...

And I got told of for trying to be a 'hero' ...

This cyclist was coming pretty fast-he crossed on red, and in those situations I just go as it is my right to cross.
I shouted back that he is a moron -I got told of by doing that later by my missus...
He was aggressive.
When I said he had red light, he said he is not a car...when I said that he said something my way,he said he was just listening to music...

Then a combination of swear words was addressed in my direction but I just started to walk away-that was lost cause anyway..

Few seconds later he got almost hit by bus that was stopping and he -cyclist, just joined the street without looking for incoming traffic...

Some people are just morons that give the rest of us a bad reputation.

Nice bit of karma with the bus though :LOL:

He was aggressive.

right hook clide!!!! Knob-jockey!! People like that give us a bad name and dont help the issue

Here's some from my stable. I work in the trade so to speak as I'm the CNC programer/machinist as BETD Goldtec for my sins. I make nice shiny hubs etc and then get to ride them.

My Merlin Oreas ti hardtail. Very very bling and very light too
2pt8c5u.jpg

My Turner DW Link 5 Spot. Best bike I've ever built
1413afn.jpg

My Yeti 575 with custom hubs
35kr7tj.jpg

mtp9xx.jpg

My Cove Stiffee
2z7k7ic.jpg

Also had loads of S Works Spesh's, On One Summer Seasons, Yeti ARC, Pace RC303 and 2 Turner 5 Spots which were the HL models.

I have to say that I like some of MB in this thread...

ones that Hedge has...are those expensive ?

I have to say that I like some of MB in this thread...

ones that Hedge has...are those expensive ?

That's a very open ended question.. Depends on spec. A higher end yeti for example will set you back 3.5k.

The new nukeproof mega 130mm version 2.6k.

Canyon are putting out some good spec bikes for reasonable prices. Boardman bikes often clean up on group tests too and have great prices.

There's something to be said about buying older season 2nd hand kit and upgrading as you break stuff.

Last edited:
Have ordered a Genesis Equilibrium 00 to replace my broken charge after a little windfall. Looking forward to a decent commuting road bike!

That's a very open ended question.. Depends on spec. A higher end yeti for example will set you back 3.5k.

The new nukeproof mega 130mm version 2.6k.

QUOTE]

How much ??
and I thought that my Ribble was expensive... :)

Have ordered a Genesis Equilibrium 00 to replace my broken charge after a little windfall. Looking forward to a decent commuting road bike!

(y) and you can sort it to fit the same as the Condor that way - no problems switching bikes / settling into different layouts etc...

Much as I enjoy riding the MTB, I just can't get as comfortable on it as I can the roadbike - and I know that it's because I do maybe 20-30 hours on the roadbike for every one on the MTB, so it's different sets of muscles etc, but I'm uncomfortable on the MTB EVERY time I ride it, and the following day, my hip and knee ache when I get back on the Roadbike... I can swap between the different roadie's with impunity (well - maybe not the "funny-bike TT machine" - but that's never really going to be built for comfort) but one ride on something with flat/riser bars and i'm stuffed!

(y) and you can sort it to fit the same as the Condor that way - no problems switching bikes / settling into different layouts etc...

Much as I enjoy riding the MTB, I just can't get as comfortable on it as I can the roadbike - and I know that it's because I do maybe 20-30 hours on the roadbike for every one on the MTB, so it's different sets of muscles etc, but I'm uncomfortable on the MTB EVERY time I ride it, and the following day, my hip and knee ache when I get back on the Roadbike... I can swap between the different roadie's with impunity (well - maybe not the "funny-bike TT machine" - but that's never really going to be built for comfort) but one ride on something with flat/riser bars and i'm stuffed!

Agreed. The setup should be fine. I went for a 54 as looking at the geometry it was easier to get to the same setup as the Italia than the 56. I also had a go on a 54 in Evans and the size seemed good. I guess its easier to make a bike that is smaller fit with seatpost and stem than trying to cope with a bigger bike at its minimal height settings etc. I also need seat post room for lights and the boy's trailer bile fitments too! Looking forward to the bike coming now. :)

My problem with bike fitting is I'm 6'1" but if my legs were the correct length i'd be 6'6"... long body, short legs - mainly in the upper levers - so I need my saddle fairly forward to get over the pedals, which means I tend to go for the size-up if there are 2 options - just for a longer top-tube and not needing a stem like a narrowboat tiller... Means I generally don't get a great deal of exposed seatpin unless I opt for a fairly radical "compact" frameset...

At least with modern sloping Top-tube bikes I CAN get a frame off-the-peg thats tweakable - BITD I either had to ride something akin to a garden gate (they usually had "square" geometry - tt-length = seat-tube height back then), or nip off to Bob Jacksons and get something silver-soldered up for me...

My problem with bike fitting is I'm 6'1" but if my legs were the correct length i'd be 6'6"... long body, short legs - mainly in the upper levers - so I need my saddle fairly forward to get over the pedals, which means I tend to go for the size-up if there are 2 options - just for a longer top-tube and not needing a stem like a narrowboat tiller... Means I generally don't get a great deal of exposed seatpin unless I opt for a fairly radical "compact" frameset...

At least with modern sloping Top-tube bikes I CAN get a frame off-the-peg thats tweakable - BITD I either had to ride something akin to a garden gate (they usually had "square" geometry - tt-length = seat-tube height back then), or nip off to Bob Jacksons and get something silver-soldered up for me...

I have the opposite problem with short legs (although my weight loss seems to have improved this!) but that is easier to cope with I think.

I had been planning a fancy steel frame next year but after the charge was knackered I thought that this was a more sensible and immediate replacement. I could have got the charge repaired but the 00 was such a good price I couldn't say no! Also the frame looks decent so should take upgrades quite well.

Anyone cycled C2C? The wife wants to do it next year over a few days. We would be on road bikes. Any experiences?

Anyone cycled C2C? The wife wants to do it next year over a few days. We would be on road bikes. Any experiences?

Yep just for charity / celebrate a mates 40th

Finished yesterday

Started off in Morecambe Monday morning and completed over 3 days and finished in Bridlington yesterday.

We did the Way of the Roses coast to coast ride. The 1st day was a killer with the hills and ESP Settle. The 2nd is tough to begin with - long climb and a steep decent for approx 2 miles at Pately bridge (be very careful as 1 cyclist was killed approx 4 months ago when he didn't make one of the sharp bends). Last day is good as flatter, but difficult as getting tired. There is some off road out of York and approx a mile on dirt track through crop fields which was an experience.

We had a mixture of road bikes and cros cycles (on road / touring tyres) and managed well. Drink plenty and take regular breaks (short) to top up food.

Enjoy it if you do go for it, I'm sore, but ecstatic I managed it as I only started cycling again in April after approx 25 years off a bike.

Raised some good money as well for charity.

If there is anything else you want to know, just ask...
A

Last edited:
If there is anything else you want to know, just ask...

Don't suppose you've got a .tcx of the route - or a logfile on strava ? If I get hold of a 'crosser like i'm thinking of doing that'd make a good couple of days out to christen it :)

Don't suppose you've got a .tcx of the route - or a logfile on strava ? If I get hold of a 'crosser like i'm thinking of doing that'd make a good couple of days out to christen it :)

We used a Strava map and got the map on the app. The route is on the way of the roses site as well.

Yes the crosser was a Giant TCX - superb bike with touring tyres on - and mudguards if its wet or has been as on the 2nd day there was a lot of muck and crap on the roads, especially where the farms are and they're out spreading.

Def recommend mudguards - those that didn't have them ended up covered in ...

Oh and if its midget season, on day 3 when riding through the countryside, keep your mouth closed or you'll eat lots ...

:LOL: midget season?!

Those midgets do represent a hazard on the road, especially when lurking around moderately sized hedgerows :LOL:

:LOL: midget season?!

Those midgets do represent a hazard on the road, especially when lurking around moderately sized hedgerows :LOL:

:D

We had just put extra sun cream on as well so got covered in the little critters -wasn't a pretty look, hot sweaty and covered ...

I got a PB today for my commute to work.
Strava recorded a 3.9 mile ride which took 14mins. Average speed was 16.6mph and elevation was 168ft.

not bad for MTB on big knobbly tyres still :D

Back