Pedal Power Thread

Went out last night with my friend/neighbour.

He was on his MTB as he is "in training" for a coast to coast with some mates and will be on the MTB. He was understandably a bit slower than normal (he is stronger/quicker than me normally) and I held back to keep with him yet on Strava I still managed a few PBs!! Hopefully that means I'm improving or the riding with someone else helped pull us both on a bit more (I'd like to think both perhaps?)

either way, it was an enjoyable ride (helped by rehydration at the local debriefing point ;)) and we are hoping to get out again soon.

Spent a rainy evening at the National Circuit Racing Championships yesterday, down in lovely scenic Barnsley. It looked a tough Course, 1.1km street circuit, lots of tight corners, not a flat meter on the entire course - either up or downhill all the way. Great evening though, wandering around chatting to the riders before and after the race, can't think of another sport where you get to meet and mix with the participants like this.

To be honest, it began even before getting onto the course, as I pulled into a parking space in the nearby car park, the vans either side of me had riders warming up on rollers behind them... At least you could tell you were definitely in the right place I suppose...

^there was a quick piece on Look North about it last night - looked a good event too (y)

Tomorrow is London prudential so roads will be closed to cars. Anyone cycling in to city ?

I'll let you know if I'm going. Depends on wether I can get out of the decorating for the day [emoji1]

Advice time... I'm starting to look into buying my first road bike and its a minefield. I thought there were lots of choices in photography gear!! So my questions are these..
1. What is the best bike for £4-500?
2. If I look at Triban (one option) is Microshift noticeably different/inferior to shimano or SRAM?
3. Would I be better off with a cheaper starter setup (Triban 500SE) and invest in better wheels, thinking Mavic Akasium Ones, or stretch the budget for better groupset?

As you can see I like the Triban but not sure if I will regret not going for more, long term. Is the Triban upgradable if I wanted to go for 105 or SRAM in future?

Please help [emoji46]

I would go for the triban for the first year... if you are keen then sell and upgrade. I bought a felt f95 last year and traded up at Xmas.

Advice time... I'm starting to look into buying my first road bike and its a minefield. I thought there were lots of choices in photography gear!! So my questions are these..
1. What is the best bike for £4-500?
2. If I look at Triban (one option) is Microshift noticeably different/inferior to shimano or SRAM?
3. Would I be better off with a cheaper starter setup (Triban 500SE) and invest in better wheels, thinking Mavic Akasium Ones, or stretch the budget for better groupset?

As you can see I like the Triban but not sure if I will regret not going for more, long term. Is the Triban upgradable if I wanted to go for 105 or SRAM in future?

Please help [emoji46]
have a look here :)

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/157426-best-road-bike-bargains-under-500

What about the Merlin PR7 at just £319
You get aluminium frame, carbon fork, shimano claris 8 speed cassette with FSA 34/50 compact chainset and some nice Mavic wheels.

Good bang for buck if they have your size.

Not been out on my bike this week and soooo frustrated.

Picked up a bug at the weekend and it's made me feel pretty yuck all week. :hungover::grumpy:Was hoping to go out tonight but still didn't feel up to it. Another early night tonight and hoping I might feel well enough to go out tomorrow night. Damn these bugs :(

Evening rides have been really good of late. but at least I am not competing for Highest Annual Mileage awards....Steve Abraham from Milton Keynes restarts his latest attempt at the record in a couple of days time on August 8th and is aiming at 80,000 miles in the saddle over the next 365 days supported by voluntary contributions from the cycling communoy. (Having been cycling almost daily since January 1st with the exception of a few weeks with a broken ankle when knocked off by a drunken moped rider, which rather upset attempt number one).

http://trackleaders.com/oneyeartimetrial15i.php?name=Steve_Abraham

I don't do that mileage in the car!

this might be a daft question but how tight are shorts supposed to be round the thighs?

I bought a pair of DHB and they're almost like compression shorts.

Some can be tight

Can you squat comfortably when you are wearing them? If so they should be ok.

Are they creating a noticeable "ridge" where the shorts end above the knee and your bare flesh? If so, they're likely a size too small.

I found dbh items a smaller fitting - I have a medium bib short and they are snug to the point I wouldn't want them any smaller!

Last edited:
based on that they'd appear just to be a tight fit then, thanks :)

Definitely far higher quality than the things I was using though.

Some shorts have too much elastic around the legs for my liking. Really dislike shorts that are tight on the legs.

can't seem to get my garmin to connect to the strava account, the PW and user name are right bnut it just sits doing nothing, any clues??

View attachment 43399

I've never had a problem with strava pulling data from Garmin or images from Instagram. Worth writing to their support ?

Garmin Connect has been a pile of dung all week for me - half the time it won't even display on screen at the moment.

I know theres was a problem with the Garmin connect app the other week which was patched, my 510 wouldn't connect via bluetooth to the phone and I had to sync via the usb cable. Seems to be working since they patched it though as it's found my new 810 overtime I've turned it on.

nasty crash at the Tour of Utah yesterday... warning - not for the squeamish - link here
Irish pro Matt Brammeier (MTN-Qhubeka) was seriously injured after crashing into a service car during stage six of the Tour of Utah on Saturday.

Brammeier was attempting to chase back to the peloton on a descent when he collided with the service car, causing fractures to his ribs and pelvis, as well as internal injuries.

MTN-Qhubeka team medic Dr Jarrad van Zuydam said in a statement:

“Matt Brammeier was involved in a high speed collision with a vehicle during the queen stage of the Tour of Utah. Thankfully, Matt has suffered no head, neck or spinal injuries and is currently stable in hospital. His musculoskeletal injuries are significant, however.

“He suffered rib fractures on both sides as well as a small pneumothorax. He also has fractures of the sacral and pelvic bones. Matt is unlikely to require surgery but will need some time to recover from his injuries.”

The 30-year-old posted a photo of himself in hospital on Twitter, saying “All good in the hood. Thanks for the messages”.

not really a photo sharing thread, but I've finally got around to processing one or two shots from the Circuit Championships in Barnsley a while back...

Briggsy giving it a shove in the last few laps...

IMG_5113.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Stevie Williams Off the Front...

IMG_5101.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Nicola Juniper gets her Hands in the Air...

IMG_4945-Edit.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

one or two more here

That was a real shocker, it's probably a good thing he hit the car though because there was no way he was getting around that bend at that speed and on that line!! He'd have been over the edge and in a tree.

That was a real shocker, it's probably a good thing he hit the car though because there was no way he was getting around that bend at that speed and on that line!! He'd have been over the edge and in a tree.

I was thinking exactly the same - his approach line seemed completely 'off'. The other two riders hopefully weren't too badly hurt - the one hitting the rear of the bike looked a hard hit as well.

I felt sorry for the motorbike rider tbh, there was nothing he could do and got speared at both ends. he was lucky not to go over as well

I've never had a problem with strava pulling data from Garmin or images from Instagram. Worth writing to their support ?
got it fixed eventually, not entirely sure how though :D

Got back on a bike for the first time today! 11 weeks out of the saddle and I managed a whole 18km on my wife's brompton! ;)

Back