weekly Phil the Juggler's '52 - Week 1 - New

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I last completed a '52 in 2010 - will do my best to complete this one!

Week 1 - New

Comments welcome!!

Last edited:
Week 1 - New

New dress, new to modelling and new gear!

p4122458324-6.jpg

Last edited:
Week 1 - Aims, Technical details & Behind the Scene

p4113296155-4.jpg

The model here had a new dress and is totally new to modelling. As it happens, the flash set up was also new to me and this was my first go with it!

Canon 5DIV, Canon 85mm/f1.4 IS L, exposure 1/200, f/1.4, ISO 160.

I used my new Godox AD300 as the key light shot into a silver reflective brolly. Hair light was positioned coming from the same direction as the (setting) sun. AD300 was on TTL, on this shot I metered for ambient with no exposure compensation, 580EXII as hair light set at 1/32 power IIRC.

Colours were horrid at this time of day so I warmed up the foliage using Color Efex, added a small amount of blue tint to the sky in Photoshop. I didn't like the skin tone so adjusted that slightly in PortraitPro, but made no structural or smoothing adjustments.

Last edited:
Great shot for a first attempt using new gear Phil. I don't do any portraiture so wouldn't know how to critique it but I like the image. A good start and only 51 more to go!

Nice work - a little hot on the key light for me but for a first go - impressive!

Nicely done!

Good effort. With so much to potentially go wrong, it was a big success and a good one for the 52

That's a great shot, and nice to read about the setup, although far more complex than anything I'd ever attempt!!!! #justasnapper

Looks like a great shot to me. Being a majority landscape photographer I can't comment on the lighting but love the dof and background.

Nice shot, not sure about the pose. Her right hand looks very awkward. She will relax more on subsequent shoots.

Great shot for a first attempt using new gear Phil. I don't do any portraiture so wouldn't know how to critique it but I like the image. A good start and only 51 more to go!

Many thanks for taking the time to comment!

Very impressive!
Thank you!
Nice work - a little hot on the key light for me but for a first go - impressive!

Nicely done!
Yes - the silver lighting is very directional and the light on the leg and hand nearest the brolly are a bit bright for my tastes - I tried reducing them in Lightroom but decided it wasn't improving matters.
I can see I'm going to have competition this year for model shots :)
I like that shot, and it's good to have the behind the scenes detail too.
Excellent - I have a model shoot planned for this weekend so I'll see if I can shoehorn Thursday's new theme into that!
Good effort. With so much to potentially go wrong, it was a big success and a good one for the 52
Many thanks - there was quite a bit of fiddling with exposures to get the hair light in particular the right strength. The light was fading too which meant I missed focus on some frames.
That's a great shot, and nice to read about the setup, although far more complex than anything I'd ever attempt!!!! #justasnapper
Thanks - it took a bit of fiddling to learn to use the remote control flash, but really wasn't too bad!
Looks like a great shot to me. Being a majority landscape photographer I can't comment on the lighting but love the dof and background.
Thanks - the 85/1.4 gives a gloriously thin dof and is so sharp that it can really pop the subject.
Nice shot, not sure about the pose. Her right hand looks very awkward. She will relax more on subsequent shoots.
Yeah - I got her doing a bunch of poses and in some shots where she was standing slightly further from the tree the way the jacket hung made her arm look plain odd! This was one of the better poses from the rather shortened shoot (we were losing light fast)!
As I love people photography I think you did a cracking job indeed, great photo and like both images.
Many thanks - much appreciated!

Thank you for the explanation... very informative.

What a lovely image, your new model looks very natural. The details of the shot are interesting and a great way for others to learn, so thank you for providing them.

Pete

I am a beginner with studio lights, so thank you for sharing your set up. I really like the colours and your model looks natural to me. My only thought is perhaps the light on the hair is a tad strong, as it appears light is coming from two directions.... but I know nothing about portraiture, so please take with a pinch of salt! I'd be really happy if I took that. It seems just getting a model to pose if really tricky, never mind the lighting!

Back