Photo52 2011 - Wk 48 Cute added

oooooohhh, shiny shiny.

Nice bit of new that. look forward to seeing what she produces.

So do I!!!

Hi Tina,

Am I the only one who sees a face in that pillbox? :LOL:
Definitely prefer the colour to the B&W. It's a fascinating subject and I feel your frustration at trying to get the shot you want of it.
What you have works well though. Perhaps a little tight at the bottom, but overall a nice composition and it's really well exposed for both foreground and sky. I think what's not quite working is that the pill box is so similar in tone to the trees behind it that it's not standing out as a strong enough focal point.

A lot of people have suggested a lower angle for this, but I think I'd go a step further. Personally I'd have a go at lying on my back and shooting looking up at the pillbox to get a sense of size & scale and outline it against the sky.

And week 2 is starting to depress me now. So far I've seen a new pair of shoes and a shiny new lens . . . not that I'm jealous or anything, but those are two of my favourite things :LOL:

Sarah, I also see a face and wondered if it was me :confused: I am planning to do a series of this location through the year and we shall see if:
a) I get any better :bonk:
b) See if the changing background is any help :thinking:

I'm foolish enough to take my dogs with me on these trips, we should get some interesting shots as I lie down :shrug: I promise to show them :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Been unwell this week and no photo or idea so far...and tomorrow is last day...

Oh dear sweetie, I hope to soon feel better. Don't put pressure on yourself regards the Photo52, your main concern right now is getting well. When you are feeling stronger you can catch up.

Take it easy and remember you are more important than a photograph!

Luvs

Dawn :)

A matter of taste and perspective I think

With my first salary i bought a full length leather coat and loved it. Wore it for close on 15 years until the children made me too fat for it ;) When the eldest daughter found it she claimed it and wore it herself for a few years...then the youngest daughter claimed it. It is now awaiting relining and other work for her to wear...again!

5378152139_6049e0416e.jpg

A bit close to the wire and not within my usual style, but isn't that the point of this? Lighting was natural as I don't gnerally use lights and all that 'stuff'.

Looking at it now, I feel I should have focussed on the buttonhole and not the worn cuff...

Last edited:
Hi Tina,

I quite like the focus being on the worn cuff, kindof underlines the entire vintage style thing going on. Colours look good to my eye, maybe the only thing might have been to use a wider aperture and put a bit of distance between the lapel and the lining to give it a bit of depth.

Hope your feeling better as well :)

Hi Tina,

I quite like the focus being on the worn cuff, kindof underlines the entire vintage style thing going on. Colours look good to my eye, maybe the only thing might have been to use a wider aperture and put a bit of distance between the lapel and the lining to give it a bit of depth.

Hope your feeling better as well :)

Hi Caleb, thanks for looking...hadn't thought of the dof really, but now you mention it....:nuts::thinking: So much to learn :eek:

Hiya Tina,

I find photography very theraputic, so it is a good thing that your photos are what keep you going.

I love your leather jacket, the colour is gorgeous. I have a black leather jacket that I bought about 10 years ago for a bargain and it has been well worn, still one of my favs.

I'm in agreement with Caleb about you having the focus on the scuffed cuff right as it does add to the story of the coat.

Overall I really like this image, would like to see a photo of the full length, just for interest.

Good luck with the rest of the project and get well soon.

Cheers

Hi Tina, sorry to hear you've been under the weather. So well done for keeping the 52 going:clap:

That's a great story about the history of the coat and really adds to the emotional effect of the pic. The image itself really draws me in, and there's something charming about such a simple but well executed shot.

(And thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the colour cast on my pic)

Last edited:
I think this is a great image, and the worn cuff just adds to the history of the coat, nicely shot (y)

go for it old gal
cheers
geof

Love this shot - agree with everyone else re: focus on cuff adding to it's story - like the simplicity of this!

Hiya Tina,

I find photography very theraputic, so it is a good thing that your photos are what keep you going.

I love your leather jacket, the colour is gorgeous. I have a black leather jacket that I bought about 10 years ago for a bargain and it has been well worn, still one of my favs.

I'm in agreement with Caleb about you having the focus on the scuffed cuff right as it does add to the story of the coat.

Overall I really like this image, would like to see a photo of the full length, just for interest.

Good luck with the rest of the project and get well soon.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, I agree the photography helps - the rest of the coat is here

Hi Tina, sorry to hear you've been under the weather. So well done for keeping the 52 going:clap:

That's a great story about the history of the coat and really adds to the emotional effect of the pic. The image itself really draws me in, and there's something charming about such a simple but well executed shot.

(And thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the colour cast on my pic)

Thanks for looking and glad I could help.

Hi Tina, a cracking image there, one which I quite like, the focus on the cuff is great,

Thank you

I think this is a great image, and the worn cuff just adds to the history of the coat, nicely shot (y)

I can do history!! I'm old enough now ;)

go for it old gal
cheers
geof

Ooooh, I will!

Love this shot - agree with everyone else re: focus on cuff adding to it's story - like the simplicity of this!

Thank you very much

^ now that's value for money!

I would have rather seen it all in focus and maybe a bit more of the coat... or even it on your daughter if you could convince her to pose... but maybe that might not have worked either... It shouts more vintage than style to me as far as a first impression goes... but good effort... and for what you where trying to achieve... the focus is perfect!

^ now that's value for money!

I would have rather seen it all in focus and maybe a bit more of the coat... or even it on your daughter if you could convince her to pose... but maybe that might not have worked either... It shouts more vintage than style to me as far as a first impression goes... but good effort... and for what you where trying to achieve... the focus is perfect!

Thanks mark. A daughter posing in it is currently impossible due to distance , it's truly wonderful when they leave home.

Is not vintage a style? According to the daughters it most definitely is ;)

Thanks mark. A daughter posing in it is currently impossible due to distance , it's truly wonderful when they leave home.

Is not vintage a style? According to the daughters it most definitely is ;)

It is... It.. is...

It's all to do with the way I look at all the pics on here... before reading any blurbs etc... I try to look at the image and decide if it says the theme... or I see whatever else comes into my head... with this it was vintage rather than style... so your lose... and in most peoples minds you have nailed it... It's just my over picky mind!

Great find, love the colour and textures of the tree but do I find the tufts of grass a little distracting.

Simon.

Hiya Tina,

Hope you are feeling much better now.

I like this image, and something similar was one of my ideas when I was thinking of ideas for the 'Accommodation' theme.

Love your take on the theme, and I always tell my son that they are little fairy houses when we see them in the woodlands.

I agree with Simon about the tufts of grass. I also think the image would benefit from a slight straighten, crop, sharpen and lighten to bring out more detail in the bark. I hope these don't sound too negative, not intended to.

I think you have got a good image here, and once again, as I do with some images, had a bit of a play with post processing the image to gather my thoughts.

Look forward to seeing your week 5.

Cheers

Hi Tina,
I think dawn's comments are similar to what i'm thinking. You have a nice image but with a few little tweeks it could become a good image.
I'm glad you're feeling a little better and i look forward to your week 5 theme
Ceri

LOL! I saw something akin to this yesterday whilst walking the dogs... looks like you pipped me to the post ;)

lovely texture in your pic Tina, the only crit I would offer is that I'd like to see more of an angled view - so instead of a highly contrasted dark opening, you'd see a shaded fold in the bark which might be more pleasing to the eye and have a little more mystery to it....

but I love your idea of there being 'time for a little something' and 'falling down the rabbit hole'..... takes me back to some great fairytale books too :)

Maria
x

Last edited:
Hiya Tina,

Hope you are feeling much better now.

I like this image, and something similar was one of my ideas when I was thinking of ideas for the 'Accommodation' theme.

Love your take on the theme, and I always tell my son that they are little fairy houses when we see them in the woodlands.

I agree with Simon about the tufts of grass. I also think the image would benefit from a slight straighten, crop, sharpen and lighten to bring out more detail in the bark. I hope these don't sound too negative, not intended to.

I think you have got a good image here, and once again, as I do with some images, had a bit of a play with post processing the image to gather my thoughts.

Look forward to seeing your week 5.

Cheers

Hi Tina,
I think dawn's comments are similar to what i'm thinking. You have a nice image but with a few little tweeks it could become a good image.
I'm glad you're feeling a little better and i look forward to your week 5 theme
Ceri

Is this any better?

My PP skill is are non existant :(

5390925205_c671fbee5e_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tina,

Did you use a clone or retouch tool to remove the tufts of grass? As it looks a bit blurring at the ground level, not sure if the image has just not loaded correct on my screen.

I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick edit to give you an idea of what I was describing in my previous post. I will delete the image if you want, once you have seen it, just say and I will remove it:

5391682328_512f82ec7f_b.jpg

Processing is something that I am still learning about, and each day I learn something new.

I like the image you captured as it has a lot of potential.

Cheers

Dawn, I wasn't impressed with the result of my pp :D I just don't get how others manage. I looked at the crop you did and I can't make my mind up; I think I want to show how close to the ground it was for the 'little people' but obviously I haven't achieved that feel if the foreground distracts.

The tree is local to me (as are most of my subjects) so I can have another go...wonder what the other dog walkers will think when they see me 'weeding' around a tree in the scrub! :LOL:

Hiya Tina,

Post processing is something that has taken me some time to get the hang of, and each day I learn something knew, so don't give up hope, in time and with practice you will get there.

As for the edit I did, regards the crop, I can see what you were trying to achieve by highlighting the position of the hole to the ground 'for the little people' :D and I agree with you there. I just think that because of the texture of the ground level it would be quite a challenge to blend it in (unless someone else here with more PP experience has a novel way of doing this).

Someone mentioned about taking the shot from a different angle. Perhaps if you could get low to the ground and shoot from a low angle looking up you may be able to get it all in, without having to resort to digging. Actually looking at the image again, I think the main obstacles are the little tufts of grass on the left, and I am sure it wouldn't matter if you had to remove them, although I am not one to encourage altering the woodlands, for this image I think it may be necessary.

Who knows if you had to do a re-shoot, you may just capture an image of one of the 'little people' entering or exiting the hole :D

Cheers

Hi Tina,

Great idea, I saw the hole and was thinking of Alice and Wonderland straight away as well, although I think that might of been a rabbit hole or something? Anyway the shot - I think its nicely composed, although I would have preferred to see to the edge of the trunk to give a bit more depth in the shot? The tufts of grass I don't see as that much of a distraction, and I think you were right to include them to give an idea of scale.

As Dawn said pp is something that is an ongoing learning process, just finding what works for you, which methods and on from there but if I can pick it up anyone can.

And you might want to resize your pp'd shot before the size police drop by.....

Best of luck for "Hard"!

Hi Tina good shot (y) and again keep plodding on with the pp you never stop learning thats for sure ..there is that many ways to do the same thing.. with me I learn something and if I dont do it for a while when I try again its :thinking: how do you do that again...

Thanks for your encouragement Dawn

Hi Tina,

Great idea, I saw the hole and was thinking of Alice and Wonderland straight away as well, although I think that might of been a rabbit hole or something? Anyway the shot - I think its nicely composed, although I would have preferred to see to the edge of the trunk to give a bit more depth in the shot? The tufts of grass I don't see as that much of a distraction, and I think you were right to include them to give an idea of scale.

As Dawn said pp is something that is an ongoing learning process, just finding what works for you, which methods and on from there but if I can pick it up anyone can.

And you might want to resize your pp'd shot before the size police drop by.....

Best of luck for "Hard"!

Thanks for your kind comments on my tree, I've done a re-shoot, on a different thread but ended with the dog in shot!

I'll need some luck, my imagination has absconded and I'm reduced to :bang:

Interesting tree, great shot. I like the greens on the outer edges.
Just been viewing your 52 so far, for the first time. Nice work

I love the life on trees and the moss and lichen is all part of it. Thanks for dropping by and I'm pleased you liked it.

Hi Tina good shot (y) and again keep plodding on with the pp you never stop learning thats for sure ..there is that many ways to do the same thing.. with me I learn something and if I dont do it for a while when I try again its :thinking: how do you do that again...

I think photography and the pp will mean I will never know it all. :shake::LOL:

This has been HARD. I do landscapes, badly. I thought and thought. I even thunked. I had ideas...just BAD ones. I don't have lights, or soft boxes, my umbrella is for rain.

I have these three pots. I have a piece of material bought for a purpose I no longer reember. I have electric lights in the house. No skill in still life, at all. So I decided to DO hard, try a still life :thinking:

5418577835_3ffa46845f_b.jpg

Did I get anything right with this?

Hi Tina

Crikey ,you are hard on yourself girl :nono:

Like you I don't do still life but this challenge is to get you out of your comfort zone (least ,I think it is ) & it's working !

I like the colors & shape of the vase & the material seems to add an Oriental feel .To me it looks rich & full of texture & it's nicely positioned so (y) from me

Possibly just a touch soft in the centre of the vase & maybe lose the vertical fold in the material but thats just my opinion & I know nothing :)

Good work & keep batting on for week 5 (y)

Hi Tina

Crikey ,you are hard on yourself girl :nono:

Like you I don't do still life but this challenge is to get you out of your comfort zone (least ,I think it is ) & it's working !

I like the colors & shape of the vase & the material seems to add an Oriental feel .To me it looks rich & full of texture & it's nicely positioned so (y) from me

Possibly just a touch soft in the centre of the vase & maybe lose the vertical fold in the material but thats just my opinion & I know nothing :)

Good work & keep batting on for week 5 (y)

Thank you. I think I see badly, even with my glasses on, auto focus was used but...maybe I jiggled as I pushed the button :cautious:

As for the folds in the material...they were all over the place in each shot!!

Certainly hard for me.

Well I really like it.

It's a shame it's a little bit soft, but it's not as bad as it could be
I bought a remote shutter release off fleabay, was only a couple of quid as I kept doing that
I heartily recommend it, you can see it works in my week 5 shot (shameless plug) when I was on a rickety tripod at full extension!

I love the off centre positioning off the vase, and like the fact the background is almost more interesting then the forground...
make sense?

Yes i like the off centre vase too. Definitely thumbs up to you for trying something outside your comfort zone. I also like the colour of the material used.

Hi Tina

I really like the colour of the backdrop, and the positioning of the pot, as Lynne pointed out it may be a little soft, but given the lighting etc. I think you have done an excellent job with the tools you had available to you.

Sometimes it does us all a bit of good to shoot outside of our comfort zone.

Simon.

Well I really like it.

It's a shame it's a little bit soft, but it's not as bad as it could be
I bought a remote shutter release off fleabay, was only a couple of quid as I kept doing that
I heartily recommend it, you can see it works in my week 5 shot (shameless plug) when I was on a rickety tripod at full extension!

I love the off centre positioning off the vase, and like the fact the background is almost more interesting then the forground...
make sense?

I have a cable release but it has decided to die on me!! will check batteries when I remember ;) Will pop over to your page next. :naughty:

Yes i like the off centre vase too. Definitely thumbs up to you for trying something outside your comfort zone. I also like the colour of the material used.

Wish I could remember why I bought the fabric, no idea :shrug:

Hi Tina

I really like the colour of the backdrop, and the positioning of the pot, as Lynne pointed out it may be a little soft, but given the lighting etc. I think you have done an excellent job with the tools you had available to you.

Sometimes it does us all a bit of good to shoot outside of our comfort zone.

Simon.

This was so far out of my zone I'll need a map to get back!!

Thank you for your looking in and your kind comments :)

Hiya Tina,

Wow! Wow! Wow! I absolutely love this photo, so well done on you gal for stepping out of your comfort zone to achieve this :clap:

That material is to die for ...... green is my fav colour, as are chinese prints. I think you have got the composition spot on here, even though a little soft, I think it adds to the feel of the image.

I might agree about the vertical fold, although I like it as it is, but it is hard to imagine what it would look like without the fold.

Overall a fantastic attempt at still life.

Well done!

Cheers

Back