Tutorial Photography Guide: Light Trails

hey yeah I will, Got my Tripod head through, so just waiting for the tripod now.
i guesses winter would be better because of the shorter nights :)

^Joe said:
Thanks for the guide. I think I picked a poor location though, too much street lighting?

I was also in a slight rush.

Must try again

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_0_1/6077964130/
Burton Bridge 02 by ^Joe, on Flickr

That's okay, so long as the guide has proved useful that's all that all that matters (y) if you have any questions please ask and I'll be happy to help :)

I have to say for my own tastes yes there are a few to many street lights but it does work really well (y) and there is still some colour in the sky which is a big plus

Matt
MWHCVT

Great guide Matt, sorry I've only just had time to look at it after you posted in my thread. I think I'm going to go out tonight and try out a few tips you've given me, I'll post up the results in my thread.

Great guide Matt, sorry I've only just had time to look at it after you posted in my thread. I think I'm going to go out tonight and try out a few tips you've given me, I'll post up the results in my thread.

I'm please that you have found the guide useful, please drop me a link to the thread in a PM when you get the chance to take some more trails as I always like to follow people and there efforts with trails (y) but as I'm sure you can appreciate sometimes miss threads :(

Matt

These are some light trails i took whilst out camping (the tent kind) at the weekend....really not very good but boy i enjoyed it haha

Now they are really rubbish.....and whats all the weird little dots on them?

6141348077_41230731a9.jpg

6141342455_49f902685b.jpg

Last edited:
These are some light trails i took whilst out camping (the tent kind) at the weekend....really not very good but boy i enjoyed it haha

Now they are really rubbish.....and whats all the weird little dots on them?

6141348077_41230731a9.jpg

6141342455_49f902685b.jpg

I have no idea what setting that you have used but the first seems somewhat blown out, I looks like you were trying at the right time of day (y) what were your settings? and what was your set up, i.e. tripod, trigger etc?

Not the worst start that I've ever seen (y)

Cheers ive bookmarked this thread for future.
I love these types of shots

I'm pleased that you have found it useful, please feel free to post any questions that you may have (y) I'm happy to help where I can :D

Matt
MWHCVT

I'm pleased that you have enjoyed the art of light trails and no need to apologize re the previous post it just wasn't an area that I am best positioned to help and it was OT for this thread/guide :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
used the settings last night you suggested matt :D

worked a treat, all i need to do now is find a decent stretch of road busy enough with out too many or any street lights.

byebyegti said:
used the settings last night you suggested matt :D

worked a treat, all i need to do now is find a decent stretch of road busy enough with out too many or any street lights.

Great I'm pleased it worked for you :) if you check the first post there is a link to the light trails map there maybe a location close to you (y)

Matt

awesome matt. found some routes local to me using the map :D

also got an evening planned along the a14 one night next week with a fellow tog :D

awesome matt. found some routes local to me using the map :D

also got an evening planned along the a14 one night next week with a fellow tog :D

Great, I hope that you have a good time, remember to stay safe on the bridges, avoid parking where you could be considered a hazard, I often end up speaking to the police when doing trails so don't be surprised if the police take an interest, but I have never had any issues with the police, I just that with them and offer to show them the photo's they're normally responding as someones phoned you in :shrug: one traffic copper said to me once that they had received a call about a suspected jumper :LOL: we both had a good laugh at that :D

Matt
MWHCVT

I had a go at light trails when I first started this was one of my attempts i was pretty impress with the result but i really need to get back and shoot more
tower_bridge_light_trails_GS.jpg

I had a go at light trails when I first started this was one of my attempts i was pretty impress with the result but i really need to get back and shoot more
tower_bridge_light_trails_GS.jpg

That's really a rather good effort (y) what I would say it is looks to need a little bit of CW rotation as it looks to be leaning a little to the left :thinking:

I would consider shooting from the other side of the road as headlights are so much brighter than tail lights and can dominate the image.

From this position I would consider turning the camera to the left more (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Great, I hope that you have a good time, remember to stay safe on the bridges, avoid parking where you could be considered a hazard, I often end up speaking to the police when doing trails so don't be surprised if the police take an interest, but I have never had any issues with the police, I just that with them and offer to show them the photo's they're normally responding as someones phoned you in :shrug: one traffic copper said to me once that they had received a call about a suspected jumper :LOL: we both had a good laugh at that :D

Matt
MWHCVT

brilliant, i cant wait for that.

yeah safety is definately a main concern. I parked quite a way off the bridge, and ive alerady scoped out the bridge and parking ill be at next week. just wish i had more time.

hi
the weather has been crap since Friday - continuous drizzle - Scotland :shrug:

but it's clear now...found a quiet overpass on the M74 - winding road looks good
if dry ...I'll have a go tonight

''Exposure time, as I recommend using a remote trigger when you are shooting a light trail I would recommend you select the Bulb Mode (Canon and Nikon) when in Bulb mode the exposure time will basically be as long as you choose ....''....while the shutter button is held down...:thinking:...vibration..?

would it be better to use ''Time'' [Nikon D5000] as the shutter opens on first press of remote and closes on 2nd.

Yardbent said:
hi
the weather has been crap since Friday - continuous drizzle - Scotland :shrug:

but it's clear now...found a quiet overpass on the M74 - winding road looks good
if dry ...I'll have a go tonight

''Exposure time, as I recommend using a remote trigger when you are shooting a light trail I would recommend you select the Bulb Mode (Canon and Nikon) when in Bulb mode the exposure time will basically be as long as you choose ....''....while the shutter button is held down...:thinking:...vibration..?

would it be better to use ''Time'' [Nikon D5000] as the shutter opens on first press of remote and closes on 2nd.

Hi hopefully you can get out tonight (y) if you do try and get to the location and be ready to start just after sunset the should get you some nice colours in the sky..

You will have to forgive me I'm not overly familiar with nikon, but what you've describes sound a good option (y) as long as it will let you run to a couple of minutes if required

My magic settings are f/22, ISO100 and a 90 second exposure, focus manually and then ensure IS/VR and AF are both in the off and position

Guide luck and send me a link to photo's

Matt

thanks

here's my pre-flight check-list

18-55mm lens
f16 or higher
WB = incandescent
Long Exposure Noise Reduction = OFF
exposure 60-90 secs ...check histogram
ISO locked at 200
ISO auto = OFF
Shutter Release to ''remote - instant''...[max time = 30mins]
tripod so VR = OFF
manual focus to infinity DOF should be infin at f16 anyway.?
Active D lighting = OFF

john

will shoot RAW to correct WB if required

a plan......:D

Yardbent said:
thanks

here's my pre-flight check-list

18-55mm lens
f16 or higher
WB = incandescent
Long Exposure Noise Reduction = OFF
exposure 60-90 secs ...check histogram
ISO locked at 200
ISO auto = OFF
Shutter Release to ''remote - instant''...[max time = 30mins]
tripod so VR = OFF
manual focus to infinity DOF should be infin at f16 anyway.?
Active D lighting = OFF

john

will shoot RAW to correct WB if required

a plan......:D

Sounds good to me (y) be careful with ISO200 un the longer exposures ;) but other than that it all sounds about right :)

Sounds good to me (y) be careful with ISO200 un the longer exposures ;) but other than that it all sounds about right :)

puzzled there ....ISO 200 is the lowest 'regular' setting on the D5000

there is Low.3, a Low0.7 and a Low1 ----but never been there

OFF, I've never had a need for it ;)

:LOL::LOL: too late

i did notice it took a long time to write to the card - maybe that's the NR working.?

just got back...only managed 7 shots between showers.....:(

will edit and post in EDIT ''Photos for Pleasure''

Last edited:
Yardbent said:
:LOL::LOL: too late

i did notice it took a long time to write to the card - maybe that's the NR working.?

just got back...only managed 7 shots between showers.....:(

will edit and post in Transport after dinner

I've seen NR used and it's never made that much difference and will take about the same amount of time to write as the exposure was running :bang: hopefully the new night section I proposed will be approved (y) as it will make the perfect home for light trails :D

I look forward too seeing your results (y)

Matt

Thanks for pointing me towards this guide, Matt.
Great stuff and I'll be trying it very soon!

Here's a couple more Matt

Taken over the A42 in Ashby de la Zouch.

f/18 - 92" - 18mm

134"

For the map, it's in this location;

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=52.740735,-1.458585&spn=0.003111,0.006856&t=m&z=17&vpsrc=6

Thanks for the details Joe, I need to get a bit of admin done on the map as I have a few new locations to get added onto the map (y) you've done a good job with these (y) you may want to consider off centre composition (y) when I first started I used to head straight to the centre pf the bridge but now my favourite location is over the leaving traffic (red lights) as this will ensure that the head lights are not directed straight at the camera and thus don't blow out so much, do you get crisper more defined trails from both the head and tail lights :D

I will get the location added onto the map later (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Impressive Guide Matt................A bitadvance for me yet:LOL:

Don't worry about that Vince if you follow the details you cannot go far wrong (y) and if you want to head out at anytime your welcome to join me on an outing and I'll give you a practical lesson in light trails (y)

Matt

Matt,

I have been reading your thread on star trails and find it really interesting next time your thinking of going out drop me a pm I've possibly even scoped out a cool location just outside warwick.

Matt,

I have been reading your thread on star trails and find it really interesting next time your thinking of going out drop me a pm I've possibly even scoped out a cool location just outside warwick.

I will do (y) always happy to have someone to shoot with :D

Matt

Excellent post Tom,

I'm off to the M25 when it gets dark to give it a whirl

Bit late responding but I'm pleased that you've found the guide useful (y) and I look forward to seeing your results (y)

Matt

Bit late responding but I'm pleased that you've found the guide useful (y) and I look forward to seeing your results (y)

Matt

Hi Matt,

Played around last night so here is a couple of results

IMG_0199 by Fla5h.Photos, on Flickr
Exposure 30 Secs
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 18 mm
ISO Speed 200
M25 Westerham, Kent

IMG_0196 by Fla5h.Photos, on Flickr

Exposure 30 Secs
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 18 mm
ISO Speed 100
M25 Westerham, Kent

And a short exposure

IMG_0189 by Fla5h.Photos, on Flickr

Exposure 5 Secs
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 34 mm
ISO Speed 100
M25 Westerham, Kent

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Also I had trouble with 'BULB' in M mode and the remote, when indoors under light it fires the camara. Out in the dark the camara will not fire with the remote...any ideas?

Made note of your comments on post #109 which I will try tonight

Last edited:
Were you in auto focus or manual focus, the only thing that I can think at the moment as a possible issues causing you not to be able to take a photo is that the camera was trying to AF and because of the darkness not able to focus :thinking:

I see from flickr that you've done some on a very high ISO, this is to be avoided at all costs, as all you will end up with is a blob of over exposure where the headlights should be, these would be improved by getting on location earlier (y) it would be a lot nicer to have some good colours in the in sky (y)

If you can get there just after the sun has set you will get some great colours I generally find that you cannot get a decent light trail image until about 15 minutes after the sun has gone below the horizon as there is still just a little too much ambient light, but that 15-30 minutes after sunset on a long exposure you'll pick up some great colours in the sky (y)

Try and stick to ISO100 with time and experience you will know when to push it to the max ISO that I would use and thats 200, I've never felt it wise to go above that headlights are just too bright :shrug:

I like your composition (y) and it looks like it could make a good addition to our light trails map so if you don't mind giving me the location details I'll ensure that it get's added onto the map (y)

Matt

Were you in auto focus or manual focus, the only thing that I can think at the moment as a possible issues causing you not to be able to take a photo is that the camera was trying to AF and because of the darkness not able to focus :thinking:

I see from flickr that you've done some on a very high ISO, this is to be avoided at all costs, as all you will end up with is a blob of over exposure where the headlights should be, these would be improved by getting on location earlier (y) it would be a lot nicer to have some good colours in the in sky (y)

If you can get there just after the sun has set you will get some great colours I generally find that you cannot get a decent light trail image until about 15 minutes after the sun has gone below the horizon as there is still just a little too much ambient light, but that 15-30 minutes after sunset on a long exposure you'll pick up some great colours in the sky (y)

Try and stick to ISO100 with time and experience you will know when to push it to the max ISO that I would use and thats 200, I've never felt it wise to go above that headlights are just too bright :shrug:

I like your composition (y) and it looks like it could make a good addition to our light trails map so if you don't mind giving me the location details I'll ensure that it get's added onto the map (y)

Matt

I had the camara set to manual focus and IS off

Pictures where taken facing east betwwen J5 and J6 M25 on the A233 between Biggin Hill and Westerham

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=51.275656,0.074458&spn=0.000013,0.013078&sll=51.275753,0.074426&sspn=0.009114,0.026157&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.275753,0.074426&panoid=8HSuauBoVL3tTXsrQ5kY_A&cbp=12,83.29,,0,0

As you suggest I'll try and get there after sunset put will take pictures towards the west this time.

I'll stick to a low ISO later but yesterday was just testing out and good for me to compare the differences

Cheers

Tony

I had the camara set to manual focus and IS off

Pictures where taken facing east betwwen J5 and J6 M25 on the A233 between Biggin Hill and Westerham

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=51.275656,0.074458&spn=0.000013,0.013078&sll=51.275753,0.074426&sspn=0.009114,0.026157&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.275753,0.074426&panoid=8HSuauBoVL3tTXsrQ5kY_A&cbp=12,83.29,,0,0

As you suggest I'll try and get there after sunset put will take pictures towards the west this time.

I'll stick to a low ISO later but yesterday was just testing out and good for me to compare the differences

Cheers

Tony

That should serve you well (y) and if you need any further help just let me know (y)

Matt

Back