weekly morpheus75 week 52 2013 *** week 16-21 added ***

Edit My Images
Yes
joined the forum around June last year and started the 52 challenge but had to abandon due to house extension and workload, so new year, new try....

week 1 Sin
some of the topics i thought about were already covered so having doen a little bit of thinking thought about actual 'sin' and the devil, so here is my pic

01sin01 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

this was taken off my sons shirt..
thanks

Last edited:
you are in Leeds and support Manchester United that really is a sin in Yorkshire, onlt crit is it could do with a bit more DoF

you are in Leeds and support Manchester United that really is a sin in Yorkshire, onlt crit is it could do with a bit more DoF

i thought about that after re DoF.
Come to think of it you are right re Man U support, but this top belongs to my son - not me.. Honest

Hi ya & welcome back :wave:

I quite like that...different take on the theme so well done for a little out of the box thinking ( thats often harder than actually taking a shot :LOL: )

Good colors , like the POV & the detail in the stiching is pretty good ( macro lens ? ) (y) Maybe a little more DOF though

being a city fan i'll keep it impartial ;)

good thinking, like your take on the theme.. like the close composition and focus..

Thanks all for comments. I did use a macro lens to take the shot.

Man u :puke: i like the differnt take on the theme nice colours only crit is more dof so i could see all the devil but apart from that very nice pic well done(y)

Week 2 - Season
we havent had much snow at all, so the couldnt do wintry type shots which i had hoped to do, but it has been ice cold and i spotted this on my gate.
i know there is not a lot of creativity i can do with this type but i thought i would focus on the ice and try get a background blur.
what do you guys think....
cheers

02season01 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

Hi, there, so it's been a long day....what am I looking at? Can't work out if they are some kind of icicles :thinking:

Closer for me but the BG is OOF so :clap:

Cheers.

they are icicles - which have 'grown' from the water holes that are in the metal gate.

Interesting idea, I would possibly crop the right hand side in a little and apply more contrast.

Good effort though (y)

Not sure what I am looking at here. They don't look like normal icicles, more like bits of broken twisted plastic.

Anyway, assuming they are icicles, I think I would be a bit more creative with the composition and lighting. Perhaps you could do a long exposure night-shot, but light them off-camera so that you see the icicles glowing along their length?

I will try the lighting effects after work tomorrow, assuming that they are still there. If the gate is opened fully they touch the bushes and break off.
Thanks for all comments and suggestions
They are made of ice because avg temp for us in north Leeds has been about -2 during day and even colder at night that's how they formed and pretty much survived!

Last edited:
definately crop in the RHS - well spotted, what a wierd phenomenon. Was it wind that has blown them into the odd shape? As well as gravity obviously?

thanks for all your comments, got home and found that they had broken off, and its actually snowing!!! so cannot get any more pics, but will keep a lookout for more when the weather changes again!!

Unusual to see icicles growing upwards - have to admit I don't care what the picture looks like I am just so intrigued with the shape of these and hope you can get some more as never seen anything like them :)

same here.. how odd, had no idea what it was initially..

Hi morpheus, I am late getting to your thread, apologies.

Good start to your 52, I like your sin image, particularly the vibrant colours which could be boosted even more IMHO. Just a little more dof on the devil but other than that, spot on (y)

Season, what strange icicles but very interesting all the same. As has been mentioned, a contrast boost and again spot on. Did you experiment with different rotations on this image? I think its one where it could have a real abstract feel to it. Where the viewer really has to look to work it out, as if we didn't have enough working out to do already :LOL: Iain

To be honest both images are as taken. Still new to all this so no post processing done still got a lot to learn about that. For season I would have taken more shots but it was just too cold.
Thanks for comments

week 3 - gravity

this week has taken a while to think of what to do and finally decided with the idea of walking on the ceiling using some editing techniques. this is the first time i have tried something like this and i think i have not quite managed to get the relative sizing correct, so more practice and a good tut is what i need...

03gravity01 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

thanks

That is really close to working very well - as you say, the proportions are not quite on, the toes look as if they're pointing down rather than in line with the ceiling.

But they're just things I'd bear in mind if you shot it again. The idea's great and the framing of the ceiling's spot on.

Did you consider having it upside down so the pendant light is in the "correct" orientation?

Like this.. Certainly makes you think! Like the angles of the walls.. Great take on the theme!

That is really close to working very well - as you say, the proportions are not quite on, the toes look as if they're pointing down rather than in line with the ceiling.

But they're just things I'd bear in mind if you shot it again. The idea's great and the framing of the ceiling's spot on.

Did you consider having it upside down so the pendant light is in the "correct" orientation?

thanks for your comments, never thought about posting pic the other way round and showing walking on ceiling!

Like this.. Certainly makes you think! Like the angles of the walls.. Great take on the theme!
thanks!

Ha Ha! I like the thought process for this. It made me chuckle.

I like the orientation. Its like the whole world is upside down. Well done.

thanks!

Last edited:
Hello all, I'm back now, finally...
we were relocating our business and then went on holiday for a week with kids at half term and now back and settled in to the daily grind and what better way to start back by updating my thread and catching up.....
i checked the forum before going to try and capture the photos to correpond with the weekly themes (sad i know), but it helped challenge me to take some 'proper' photos. my flickr page has about 25 shots that i picked out from Istanbul trip so feel free to leave comments there but here i am uploading my 52's :

week 4 - wild
where i live there is pretty much no wildlife! so was going to take a trip to my local park where they have tropical world and take a few shots but ended up booking trip so took this at the Turkazoo Aquarium.

04wild01 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

the white bright areas are bits of leftover stingray that this giant Japanese Spider Crab was having for lunch!

Week 5 - Space
this one i had already taken before i went but not had a chance to process it. i am a star wars fan and have many ships in my collection so this was an easy pic to capture but needed time to process.

05space01 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

week 6 - work
whilst on hol i saw this and thought that this area needs a lot of WORK doing, the area surrounding this was all nice and built up but this part of the docks was just messy and personally think that b&w would work best to depict it:

06work01 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

week 7 - gluttony
pretty much self explanatory.....

07gluttony01 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

week 8 - time
macro lens time again. i took a few shots and ended up liking 4 of them, the best one, i think is shot number 4.
very close and sharp focus. the rest i tried to keep the 'time' in focus and let the remainder of the clock face blur a little bit but for me number 4 stood out even though i couldnt really tell what time it is...

shot 1

08time01 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

shot 2

08time02 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

shot 3

08time03 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

shot 4

08time04 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

thanks for looking and all feedback and critique appreciated.

Hi M , sounds like a great holiday (y)

in no particular order :

Time...#4 for me...lots to look at , sharp & good in mono

Time #3 rather oof and on the squiff ?

Time #2 I find the head rather distracting...is this an album cover or similar ?

Time #1...slightly on the squiff & a bit noisey but like the splash of blkue & yellow

Space...LOVE IT ..nuff said :clap:

Wild....looks rather alien to me , some sort of crab at a guess , shot through glass is never easy so think you've done well with it :)

Gluttony...oh yes , mc'ds fries , chicken nuggets & at a guess a Mcchicken sandwich.....yum yum

Last edited:
Hi :)

Wild - A bit oof and the couple of blown white patches distract a tad too, but a nice close shot (struggling to gauge scale) :)

Space - Like that, good pp, the Lego is well lit - works well (y)

Work - I'd prefer the lights to the right cropped out as the crane looks the main focus for me, liking the B&W and industrial feel :)

Gluttony - Nice and bright, well lit and must of made somebody full :)

Time - No:4 for me, the rest seem too reflective or oof... the 4th works really well, like the little dials lined up how they are, minimum reflections and nothing blown - Like It (y)

and most of all GREAT CATCH UP :clap:

Hi M , sounds like a great holiday (y)

in no particular order :

Time...#4 for me...lots to look at , sharp & good in mono
Thanks

Time #3 rather oof and on the squiff ?
This was a hand held shot before i got the tripod out and took shot 4

Time #2 I find the head rather distracting...is this an album cover or similar ?
Time #1...slightly on the squiff & a bit noisey but like the splash of blkue & yellow
Shot 1 and 2 are taken of my phone screen with the 2 different time display options hence why colours are a bit weird. also coudnt get my DoF right on these and these were the best i could achieve. i think i need some pointers on getting these type of shots right...

Space...LOVE IT ..nuff said :clap:
Thanks

Wild....looks rather alien to me , some sort of crab at a guess , shot through glass is never easy so think you've done well with it :)
First time i have actually seen one and thought WOW, the light was very blue so a bit of PP to tone it down but on the negative it highlighted the leftover crab food, white pieces, which is distracting dont know how to effectively clone out just yet but will be trying at some point in the next few weeks

Gluttony...oh yes , mc'ds fries , chicken nuggets & at a guess a Mcchicken sandwich.....yum yum

Hi :)

Wild - A bit oof and the couple of blown white patches distract a tad too, but a nice close shot (struggling to gauge scale) :)
white patches explained above, the crab can be 20kg in size, body approx 40cm wide and legs/claws can fully extend to approx 4m!

Space - Like that, good pp, the Lego is well lit - works well (y)
Thanks

Work - I'd prefer the lights to the right cropped out as the crane looks the main focus for me, liking the B&W and industrial feel :)
Thanks for feedback will keep in mind for next time

Gluttony - Nice and bright, well lit and must of made somebody full :)
between me and u i just had the 2 burgers kids had the rest!

Time - No:4 for me, the rest seem too reflective or oof... the 4th works really well, like the little dials lined up how they are, minimum reflections and nothing blown - Like It (y)
Thanks, explanation above for the others

and most of all GREAT CATCH UP :clap:

Many thanks for comments

Liking your Space shot - just the white line that's underneath the craft, paint that out and it's great!

Gluttony works really well, with just a few fries left in the packet.

Of the 4 time ones, I think you should have picked a favourite and just put that one up. Should be no4, which is great. I might ask for it to be rotated slightly to straight, or the other way for a more jaunty angle. It's just too close to straight for me.

Back