In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
MWHCVT submitted a new resource:

Photography Guide: Wire Wool Spinning - Photography Guide: Wire Wool Spinning

Photography Guide: Wire Wool Spinning

This is a guide on how to spin wire wool, don’t know what that is? well hopefully by the end of this guide you’ll know what I’m talking about and how to go about having a go...

What is wire wool spinning....

Put simply this is where you take wire wool (also known as Steel Wool) and ignite it... then using one of various different methods spin the burning wool around you capturing the sparks as they fly by using a long exposure...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow the Pictures look fantastic especially the one under the bridge and looks like i will taking a trip down to the local hardware shop for some zero zero.

Wow the Pictures look fantastic especially the one under the bridge and looks like i will taking a trip down to the local hardware shop for some zero zero.

Get down there and get on it (y) it really is a lot of fun and if you have any questions then please ask away

Thanks for the tutorial Matt :) love the work you did here!

Thanks Steve, hopefully it will help, glad you like my work (y) and if you have any questions please ask (y)

Great guide indeed. Brilliant photos.

Thanks, be sure to ask any questions you may have (y)

Matt

Good stuff Matt well done on doing the Tutorial, Sure everyone will find very useful, I thought Id commented but it appears I hadnt

Good stuff Matt well done on doing the Tutorial, Sure everyone will find very useful, I thought Id commented but it appears I hadnt

Thanks Dave :D hopefully it will be useful (y) if it gets a few more people enjoying the night then that is a good thing (y)

Thanks for the guide. I was quite mystified when I came across a similar image.

Thanks for the guide. I was quite mystified when I came across a similar image.

Not a issue that's what it's here for, welcome to TP :wave: and if you've got any questions don't hesitate to ask (y)

wow looks great, didn't even know you could do this! definitely want to try this out....

I just managed to have a go at wirewool for the first time, I've stuck them in a thread.

Clicky

But, I think this one is my favourite from the set as we got lucky with fireworks in the background!

8152736977_0739278401_z.jpg

Thanks for the tutorial Matt, it's all I needed to refer to and certainly pointed me in the right direction (y)

faddius said:
I just managed to have a go at wirewool for the first time, I've stuck them in a thread.

Clicky

But, I think this one is my favourite from the set as we got lucky with fireworks in the background!

Thanks for the tutorial Matt, it's all I needed to refer to and certainly pointed me in the right direction (y)

Some great timing there (y) but not a lot of sparks from the WW what spinner and grade of wool were you using?

That one was done using a mix of fine medium and coarse.

I found coarse and medium worked best but that shot was the last shot and we were using left overs.

Oh, also using a steel bird feeder with a solid base as a spinner

faddius said:
That one was done using a mix of fine medium and coarse.

I found coarse and medium worked best but that shot was the last shot and we were using left overs.

I've always found a mix of fine and medium works best for me (y)

Oh, also using a steel bird feeder with a solid base as a spinner

not tried a bird feeder but in my mind the solid base will stop the sparks escaping, try conterting it so it has a mesh base aswell.

i use a hand whisk though you do sometimes get lumps coming out as the gaps are obviusly bigger

not tried a bird feeder but in my mind the solid base will stop the sparks escaping, try conterting it so it has a mesh base aswell.

i use a hand whisk though you do sometimes get lumps coming out as the gaps are obviusly bigger

I've never had an issue with the solid base, I've used solid base feeds for a lot of my spins ;)

Thanks Ollie, always good to inspire others (y) and that's a very nice photo, the framing could be a little better I would have liked to have seen the boat a little bit further towards centre so as to have all of the spin in frame, but certainly not in the centre of frame :D

Matt

this is so cool. never knew u can do something like this. might attempt it when summer comes

Looking good, just bought myself an LED lenser v24 to do some light painting with, some wire wool will be a much cheaper purchase!

sHo0sH said:
Looking good, just bought myself an LED lenser v24 to do some light painting with, some wire wool will be a much cheaper purchase!

It will indeed, I want a v24 myself ;)

OK, note to self, read the rest of the thread before commenting. I followed a link to this guide from the meeting place thread and didn't realise the thread was started months ago!

Thanks for the guide, I was wondering how you did the wire wool thing. I'm just looking now to see how far away Hoffman Kiln is if you wouldn't mind me tagging along.

Mat you will be more than welcome :D

I'm going to give this a bash next week. Hopefully not burn myself too badly!!

Thanks for the guide.

I'm going to give this a bash next week. Hopefully not burn myself too badly!!

Thanks for the guide.

Your welcome (y) I hope you have fun and all goes well, don't forget to put up some photo's once you've had a bash at it (y)

Cheers Matt. A wire whisk and speaker cable

Nice (y) I'm always interested to see what others are using as different spinners of course allow different effects/burn intensity (y)

Nice (y) I'm always interested to see what others are using as different spinners of course allow different effects/burn intensity (y)

Do you know of any cheap places to get wire wool?

Do you know of any cheap places to get wire wool?

I buy mine from B&Q it's about £2.50 a pack and I'd say that pack is good for 7-10 spins which I don't think is too bad (y)

Back