Photography Show 2018

Just booked my train tickets, can’t face 4 hours of motorway driving cursing at all the middle lane hoggers!

For anyone thinking of going by train, and forgive me if I’m teaching you suck eggs, but booking in advance has knocked my £67 fare down to £55 and then using ticket spitting has got it now down to £38

Just booked my train tickets, can’t face 4 hours of motorway driving cursing at all the middle lane hoggers!

For anyone thinking of going by train, and forgive me if I’m teaching you suck eggs, but booking in advance has knocked my £67 fare down to £55 and then using ticket spitting has got it now down to £38
Good purchase.

Fortunately I’m not going this year, because we always have to drive to Brum, it’s impossible to get anything like ‘cheap’ rail tickets to Birmingham. Never less than £50 which I resent as we often go to London for less than £20. Twice the distance, 10x as much to do and twice the distance.

Just thinking about it I usually go on the weekend but I am thinking it may be better to go on the Tuesday are there likely to be better deals on the Tuesday form some of the exhibitors?

It's a gamble. Some exhibitors may have run out of stock - I found one year that out of stock occurred by the second day. On the other hand, selling off on the last day means less to pack down. Any second hand equipment will always be first come first served of course. These days the new stuff holds little appeal to me; it's the chance to see and compare printing papers that particularly appeals. Plus any bargains/interesting stuff at the Disabled Photographers' Society stand.

Just thinking about it I usually go on the weekend but I am thinking it may be better to go on the Tuesday are there likely to be better deals on the Tuesday form some of the exhibitors?

I don’t know about bargains (it will be my first time) but I changed my ticket to Tuesday after a stallholder told me that it is by far the quietest day. Apparently the weekend is busy, but Monday is by far the busiest day. I hate crowds so Tuesday looked good, and if there are bargains as we then so much the better.

I went on Tuesday last year, I think and it was very very busy... the previous year it wasn't so busy on the Saturday morning. I think it's a bit of a lottery!

I went on Tuesday last year, I think and it was very very busy... the previous year it wasn't so busy on the Saturday morning. I think it's a bit of a lottery!
This is the problem, every year people try to 2nd guess the quiet day, and the crowd no’s change continually.

I’d say that for someone who doesn’t like crowds, it’s not the best day out, even on the ‘quietest’ day.

I’m heading up to Sheffield on the Sunday so having a serious think about getting a ticket for the day as never been so being so close and driving past seems sensible to have a look around ?

Three days at the photography show!?!? Three hours is usually my limit.

I’ve got a pass and might go on the Monday. One or two suppliers I might go chat to.

On the “networking” front I find it a willy waving competition with the biggest egos and loudest mouths using it as an opportunity to bathe in attention. Blurgh!!

There’s no speakers there this year that appeal to me. Meeting and listening to Joe McNally a couple of years ago was a personal highlight. But no one this year appeals I’m afraid.

Three days at the photography show!?!? Three hours is usually my limit.

On the “networking” front I find it a willy waving competition with the biggest egos and loudest mouths using it as an opportunity to bathe in attention. Blurgh!!

Exactly my thoughts. Its a great place watching people who are full of their own self-importance.

I remember one year being in the gents, and there was this bloke wearing a jacket with photography brand patches all over it, which was nicely finished with a Sandisc baseball cap. And of course, he had his Nikon fitted with a big willy lens, with additional big willy lenses strapped to his belt. He spent an age checking himself out in the mirror. Then there was the 'rock star' photographer looking rather crestfallen, because no-one had recognised him - despite having his name badge prominently displayed on his ample beer belly.

Reactions: TG.
3 days at the Photography Show? After 3 hours I've had enough of the crowds and ready to go home! :)
I have found that in the past. These day I tend to have a list of things to look at and compare.

The photoshow has nearly all the main manufacturers in one place which is rare as even major retailers do not have all stock of all manufacturers so it gives excellent opportunity to go look at everything all in one place.

Coupled with scheduling going to some of the talks which takes up to about 3 hrs. With this all in tends to mean i'm not ready to depart until at least 4:30. Fortunately I live within 20 miles

After a long debate (with myself) about it being a waste of a day I decided that I do indeed fancy a day out so I, and a pal, will be attending Tuesday - not because its the 'quiet' day, but because its the only day I can make

3 hours will be more than enough I reckon, but as I'm not the driver this time I may just have to prop the bar up a bit too :)

Dave

Just checked the rail fare for Monday, 88 quid return for a round trip of about 180 miles
Not too much dearer by rail to Cologne for Photokina, think I will give Birmingham a miss

Some rail fares are great value, but the odd ones here and there are still extortionate especially if not off peak or with some form of rail card.

Last edited:
Just checked the rail fare for Monday, 88 quid return for a round trip of about 180 miles
Not too much dearer by rail to Cologne for Photokina, think I will give Birmingham a miss

Some rail fares are great value, but the odd ones here and there are still extortionate especially if not off peak or with some form of rail card.
i'm guessing that thats commuter time prices. Opens up the debate about rail prices. My journey to London can vary from £11 return up to £105 if I want to be in London on a week day before 10:00.

Doesn't encourage train travel

i'm guessing that thats commuter time prices. Opens up the debate about rail prices. My journey to London can vary from £11 return up to £105 if I want to be in London on a week day before 10:00.

Doesn't encourage train travel

This is why I now go up on the Sunday, plus after years of going on the Monday or Tuesday, (thinking they were the quiet days) I've realised the show is actually less crowded on the Sunday, and of course the trains are quieter too!

This is why I now go up on the Sunday, plus after years of going on the Monday or Tuesday, (thinking they were the quiet days) I've realised the show is actually less crowded on the Sunday, and of course the trains are quieter too!

Sundays are bit of a lottery if using rail, so much engineering work and not always that well publicised in advance.

Still haven't decided. It's a small show with big ambition, but it's quicker for me to get to Köln than the NEC.

Lucky for me, I can either drive or hop on a train as its relatively local to me. I'm going on Saturday and me and my wife are doing one of courses there.

Twenty minutes round the M42 for me, park in the train station as it's a bit cheaper. Be there by 10.00, I'll be done by 1.30!

going with a mate on the saturday, got a few bits i wouldn't mind having a look at kit wise but depending on how long we take getting around and whether there are any tickets available we may nip next door to comic con while we are there in the aftrenoon since its about a 2hr 30 drive each way to the wirral, may as well make the day of it!

going with a mate on the saturday, got a few bits i wouldn't mind having a look at kit wise but depending on how long we take getting around and whether there are any tickets available we may nip next door to comic con while we are there in the aftrenoon since its about a 2hr 30 drive each way to the wirral, may as well make the day of it!
They usually do a march through early on. And they often come into the P-show as they are good photo oppotunities

I am thinking of going, what's there to do apart from looking at gear? (that can't be the only reason surely, I can do that in any shop).

I am interested to see the Rosie Hardy talk on Monday but that's about it.

Twenty minutes round the M42 for me, park in the train station as it's a bit cheaper. Be there by 10.00, I'll be done by 1.30!

A little more then 20 minutes for me but I agree park at the station walk to the halls under cover. Did consider getting a ticket for Comic Con but not decided that bit yet!

@ralphhardwick Not sure if this will work or not, but seeing as it looks like I'm not going to be able to go now, I can always send you my ticket.

@twhite87 Tim, That's a shame, I was looking forward to a catchup. I would rather have the company than the ticket, but at least you can recoup the cost of the conference. Apparently there is no 'cancellation list' they just told me to approach the ticket desk on the day.
Let me know once yu know for sure.
Cheers
Ralph

Back