Photography Show 2018

I'm going on sunday

does anyone what sort of deals they did last year on camera equipment / lenses. 10% discounts?? just curious

I'm going on sunday

does anyone what sort of deals they did last year on camera equipment / lenses. 10% discounts?? just curious

Absolutely nothing Nikon related last year apart from refurbs! Had a £2.5 k budget last year as I had just switched and came home with a coat from the Paramo stand!

I am considering a lowepro whistler and in the past I’m sure they would have been on offer but if I heard correctly they now owned by manfrotto ? And their prices have rockets with no lowepro deals to speak of online

Is it any good? I am considering going on the Saturday or Sunday and getting the train down so a £50 do all in - only worth it if its half decent...

You should definitely go at least once but have reasonable expectations.

Monday and Tuesday are normally my busiest work days so I tend to only go on Saturday, if there's some good speakers on there's some appeal there, the free stages probably won't tell you much you don't know already, a decent range of retailers show up so there's the occasional pleasant surprise for some random accessories.

In terms of gear it's quite convenient with the A7 III launch a few days beforehand so I'm expecting Sony to have a good presence as they've got a lot to show off.

quick question but with the etickets that come via email do they need to be printed or can you just show the email on your phone at the door? I've encountered both scenarios in the past but can't see anything that says one way or the other with these

Ta

quick question but with the etickets that come via email do they need to be printed or can you just show the email on your phone at the door? I've encountered both scenarios in the past but can't see anything that says one way or the other with these

Ta

It says you might be able to show the bar code on the door but take the print out just in case mobile scanning doesn’t work

What is the best place to park for this?

The trick we've done for the last 2 years is park in the NEC as directed, then instead of paying the £10, just wait til say 6pm, by then, most people have gone so the staff go home and leave the gates open. I'd much rather spend a tenner on cakes and coffee whilst waiting!

Parking was free at the camping show a few weeks ago, annoyingly.

The trick we've done for the last 2 years is park in the NEC as directed, then instead of paying the £10, just wait til say 6pm, by then, most people have gone so the staff go home and leave the gates open. I'd much rather spend a tenner on cakes and coffee whilst waiting!

I need to be gone by 3pm so that's don't work i am afraid.

Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I've never tried it as a deliberate ploy, but one time I arrived at the car park after the witching hour and it was free to leave; other times arriving at the same time the gates have still been manned. This refers only to the Photography Show and Focus on Imaging. Other shows may vary.

The NEC Express is £20 vs Pre-Paid Parking is £12. It says Pre-Paid has a shuttle service, how regular is this shuttle and can you walk it?

The NEC Express is £20 vs Pre-Paid Parking is £12. It says Pre-Paid has a shuttle service, how regular is this shuttle and can you walk it?
Just tried to book express but its not showing so guessing its full already, booked standard at £12 instead

Does anyone know if there are any organised photowalks over the show weekend? (Not Jason Laniers 2 hour one for $299!!!)

I am staying over on Monday night (19th) and would be interested in getting out and about in Birmingham in the evening for a few snaps in the security of a group.

Photo School Birmingham are doing a "City at Night" walk on Tuesday, which would have been perfect, but I fly back home on Tuesday evening! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried to book express but its not showing so guessing its full already, booked standard at £12 instead

Express parking was all booked for me too, so I looked for another event in the event drop down list that was on at the same time and there were spaces available.

I guess they allocate a certain number of spaces for each event

Express parking was all booked for me too, so I looked for another event in the event drop down list that was on at the same time and there were spaces available.

I guess they allocate a certain number of spaces for each event

That’s smart....

Does anyone know if Lencarta are going to be there? Their name doesn't appear on the Exhibitors list.

Also has anyone booked the 'Pro Masterclass' on Monday and can't attend. I've just tried to book and it's sold out :(

I had the show guide with my ticket and I've just looked in there and can't see any mention of them being there. I know they were there last year. Strange how they are not going this year.

I'm going on Sunday this year, hoping it will be quieter than the Saturday. Driving, 1hr 45 mins for me so not tooo bad.

Now an amber warning for snow in that area tomorrow and Sunday could interesting :(

Now an amber warning for snow in that area tomorrow and Sunday could interesting :(
Why does it feel like the media are making a huge thing of the ‘mini beast’ and making it a bigger thing than it actually will (it’s as if doom and gloom sells in the UK). Other countries that get actual snow must laugh at us as they cope fine with far more.

As long as the roads aren’t too bad I will be going. I’ve got a 4x4. It’s not so much my driving I’m worried about it’s other people’s.

Somebody is wrong as the forecast states 0.5mm on Saturday and 2.7mm on Sunday. If this is correct, its hardly bad weather

As long as the roads aren’t too bad I will be going. I’ve got a 4x4. It’s not so much my driving I’m worried about it’s other people’s.
I'll be the one thumbing a lift

Last edited:
Somebody is wrong as the forecast states 0.5mm on Saturday and 2.7mm on Sunday. If this is correct, its hardly bad weather

I'll be the one thumbing a lift

I checked the forecast for Birmingham this morning and I think we will be surprised if we see anything at all. Unless it’s changed since 6:00 this morning when I looked.

Oh yes recent forecast. We are really in for some terrible weather, zero and minus one feeling minus 6/7 with the wind chill.

Drama Drama Drama, soft and pathetic.

I’m looking for a new backpack either newer flipside 400/500 or ideally a whistler so anyone see anything tomorrow on offer I would appreciate a heads up of which stand to head for Sunday

I’m looking for a new backpack either newer flipside 400/500 or ideally a whistler so anyone see anything tomorrow on offer I would appreciate a heads up of which stand to head for Sunday

Exactly the reason I am going. I want a rear opening bag as fed up of worrying where I can put my bag down so I don’t get a wet/dirty back.

I would head straight to the lowepro stand, I seem to remember they sell their own gear and offer a show discount too. Speedgraphic and snapperstuff may be worth checking out if they sell it too. Lowepro are a little different to brands like Thinktank who have their own stand but usually sell via the likes of snapperstuff or speedgraphic. I wouldn’t expect the likes of WEX or cameraworld to stock much stuff like bags because they will likely be set up to sell higher value cameras and lenses in high volume rather than bags, but it’s WEXs first time at the show so they may mix it up and create a mini WEX showroom style stand rather than the usual camera gear sellers stand.

I can't understand why anyone takes a camera to the show. I see loads walking around with heavy backpacks and DSLRs with telephoto hanging around their necks.
I really can't see the point.
I agree, the wife and I have a game of ‘who can spot the person carrying the largest camera setup’. It’s amazing what people actually take with them. I can understand taking a camera body if you are looking at trying a lens, but taking a camera and lens just to try taking (poor) images of models on some stands isn’t a great look, though it would probably be even weirder if the show followed F1s lead.

Last edited:
Back