Photography Show 2018

I can't understand why anyone takes a camera to the show. I see loads walking around with heavy backpacks and DSLRs with telephoto hanging around their necks.
I really can't see the point.
I'm taking mine because I can get a free service and clean for my camera and lenes.

Does anyone know if Lencarta are going to be there? Their name doesn't appear on the Exhibitors list.

Also has anyone booked the 'Pro Masterclass' on Monday and can't attend. I've just tried to book and it's sold out :(
Lencarta aren’t going, they’re still doing some ‘deals’ from the website though.

I’m looking for a new backpack either newer flipside 400/500 or ideally a whistler so anyone see anything tomorrow on offer I would appreciate a heads up of which stand to head for Sunday
If I was paying £250 for a rucksack, I'd be asking its IP rating as the waterproof covers aint up to much.

I can understand dry bag being IP rated as it goes with the idea of a fully waterproof for water sports. I kind of meant photography bags but wasn’t specific when I said bag. I’ve not seen any photography bag or hiking bag that are IP rated. It’s unlikely anything that has access with zips are probably not going to be better than IPx4 at best. It would be interesting to see manufacturers state waterproofing to the IP standard of photography bags but I guess that can say majority of their users won’t get near water hazards most of the time whilst it’s a given with water sports.

Most hikers get around the backpack waterproof issues by using dry bags inside the backpack, I’ve got one that can fit my ICU if the weather is really that bad to need it.

Interestingly one of my friends purchased a dry bag a while back to put an ICU inside for those extreme times when he wants to go out for long periods in the rain. Potentially a good solution to waterproofing but he’s not used it since.

Last edited:
I can understand dry bag being IP rated as it goes with the idea of a fully waterproof for water sports. I kind of meant photography bags but wasn’t specific when I said bag. I’ve not seen any photography bag or hiking bag that are IP rated. It’s unlikely anything that has access with zips are probably not going to be better than IPx4 at best. It would be interesting to see manufacturers state waterproofing to the IP standard of photography bags but I guess that can say majority of their users won’t get near water hazards most of the time whilst it’s a given with water sports.

Most hikers get around the backpack waterproof issues by using dry bags inside the backpack, I’ve got one that can fit my ICU if the weather is really that bad to need it.

Interestingly one of my friends purchased a dry bag a while back to put an ICU inside for those extreme times when he wants to go out for long periods in the rain. Potentially a good solution to waterproofing but he’s not used it since.

IPX7 is available and I know that hiking rucksack including covers are rubbish as I am a hiker

Going to take a run over on Tuesday. Let me know if any retailers are selling XQD cards.

A lot of the same this year bar a few additions such as the XH-1, the Fuji video lenses and the Sony A7iii. Besides those, it was a little disappointing really.

Lots of “services” being sold from start ups or companies that just seem either desperate or clueless to how they should market their brand without bombarding a show which I don’t like to see. Having said that BVE was the same and I’d imagine DCW next week will be too..

A lot of brands missing too, one of which was Billingham which was a shame as I wanted a shoulder pad and a strap!

Besides that, the seminars Audio was boomy and very poor. For a show that is focused on images and to a degree AV I would have thought they would have sorted that out correctly!

A lot of the same this year bar a few additions such as the XH-1, the Fuji video lenses and the Sony A7iii. Besides those, it was a little disappointing really.

Lots of “services” being sold from start ups or companies that just seem either desperate or clueless to how they should market their brand without bombarding a show which I don’t like to see. Having said that BVE was the same and I’d imagine DCW next week will be too..

A lot of brands missing too, one of which was Billingham which was a shame as I wanted a shoulder pad and a strap!

Besides that, the seminars Audio was boomy and very poor. For a show that is focused on images and to a degree AV I would have thought they would have sorted that out correctly!
Thanks for the info, any deals on back packs or gitzo ? I’m guessing now manfrotto own then there won’t be the same deals as before

I really enjoyed the Art Wolfe talk; wasn’t really there for new kit although bought some mount cards, a ThinkTank belt and some storage bags for bits and bobs. It didn’t seem as busy as last year. I am not that well so did spend a lot of time between walks around sitting down. I might go back on Tuesday if I can shift this cough and buy a hard case that I can sit on. Had a look at a couple of providers and think I will go back for the one on the Snapperstuff stand.

Thanks for the info, any deals on back packs or gitzo ? I’m guessing now manfrotto own then there won’t be the same deals as before

Ask at the Gitzo stand, one of the stalls (can't remember which) is offering around 20% off RRP

Going in the morning, was hoping go today to see Thomas Heaton speaking but couldn't make it.

Tip….ask the driver which car park he goes to on the way back !

I got on a bus thinking it's like Heathrow buses where they would go between all of them, except the one I got on just stopped at the North Car Park….I parked in the East car park.

I had like a mile and a half walk back to my car, actually went further than I was from the NEC.

Tip….ask the driver which car park he goes to on the way back !

I got on a bus thinking it's like Heathrow buses where they would go between all of them, except the one I got on just stopped at the North Car Park….I parked in the East car park.

I had like a mile and a half walk back to my car, actually went further than I was from the NEC.
lol!

diddnt you get the express parking?

i parked on the east car park too but just walked it. only took about 10mins to walk

lol!

diddnt you get the express parking?

i parked on the east car park too but just walked it. only took about 10mins to walk

No, it was full, I didn't realise I could have booked for other shows and used it that way. I walked there from the East Car Park but when I left and walked out I stepped on a bus as it was there…..big mistake. I left at about 2:10pm, I got to my car 45mins later. I think it took me about 30mins to walk, doubled the distance.

Anyone know what sort of deals Essential are doing ? I was going with the intention of picking up an AD600 Pro but if their not any cheaper I may not bother, just getting up and looking out the window theirs a blanket of snow on the ground here in Milton Keynes, I'm thinking should I bother mmm, I read on the forum last year that Essential had good deals on studio lights, that's the only reason I was going, I'm also thinking being a Sunday will they have any stock left, decisions decisions :)

I'll be going today, checking out various travel tripods, I hope. Live about 12 miles from NEC and we have about an inch of snow and sub-zero temperatures with a strong wind. However, I doubt it's a problem for main roads, but car parks might be a bit slippy on foot, wear decent footwear!

No, it was full, I didn't realise I could have booked for other shows and used it that way. I walked there from the East Car Park but when I left and walked out I stepped on a bus as it was there…..big mistake. I left at about 2:10pm, I got to my car 45mins later. I think it took me about 30mins to walk, doubled the distance.
The station car park is easier, and just a bit cheaper. It’s 5 min indoor walk to the show and costs £10 IIRC.

Reactions: TG.
Anyone know what sort of deals Essential are doing ? I was going with the intention of picking up an AD600 Pro but if their not any cheaper I may not bother, just getting up and looking out the window theirs a blanket of snow on the ground here in Milton Keynes, I'm thinking should I bother mmm, I read on the forum last year that Essential had good deals on studio lights, that's the only reason I was going, I'm also thinking being a Sunday will they have any stock left, decisions decisions :)

There’s a post on FB with their deals

Edit:pro model isn’t on that post.

Last edited:
Thanks mate will take a look :)

Did anyone see any Sirui tripods at the show? Hint at which stands might have them would be welcome!

There’s a post on FB with their deals

Can't see anything on FB, and I spoke to them online, they aren't giving any details away, do you have a link for the FB page please

11844316-CA7D-43A3-B4D7-EBBBD4C89CB6.jpeg
Can't see anything on FB, and I spoke to them online, they aren't giving any details away, do you have a link for the FB page please

Saw this:-

First time I’ve ever got here before it’s opened. Just sitting in the adobe theatre talk about file management.

From Bedford the M1 and M6 were down to 2 lanes but moving fine. The gritters were out with ploughs clearing lane 3 so all good.

I can’t believe I missed that!! If it’s a redeemable code is there any chance you could nab one if I PayPal the money? Means I can get rid of my CC and have affinity on pc and iPad! If not then no worries :)

Afraid I went yesterday, it was hand over £25 and they gave you a unique download code.

If I can find a cash machine I could do that for you.

Back