Photoshop for Mac

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
My Mac operates on macOS Sierra. Im looking to purchase Photoshop (if thats the best out there). But it seems there are or have been issues downloading Photoshop as opposed to getting the CD version (I don't have a CD facility on the laptop as many Macs don't). Can anyone offer any advice on using a Mac with Photoshop in that what is the best way to install on the laptop? The next stage will be of course learning how to use the software but I guess there are many online tutorials out there. Amazon the best place to purchase the software?

Hi Barry,

Mac user with Sierra here - absolutely no problems at all in downloading and installing photoshop.

What are you looking to do with the software? There a quite a few options out there now, so perhaps share a little more on what you want to achieve and we can offer up some options (and doubtless opinions!)

For example - Photoshop is a very powerful editing package, it may be overkill for your needs, but while its a powerful editor, it has no cataloging capability (the ability to organise your photos by date, camera, keywords etc).

Last edited:
Unless you can get hold of an old version you cannot buy PS these days.
The only way to get it is by monthly/annual subscription to the Adobe Photographers version which is only available as a download. This will cost around £10/ month , (you might get it cheaper if you look on Amazon or similar) and you will get Lightroom/Photoshop and Bridge , these will always be up to date
Although I just noticed someone on Amazon is offering a download of CS6 with serial no for £20, if it is legitimate and virus free or not is another matter

Im a bit of a novice (although been taking photos for years) when it comes to actually producing good photos so if there is something better than photoshop then great. But when you hear the talk, most is about using photoshop but I appreciate it may be overkill at this stage of my development. What version would anyone suggest if I went for Photoshop or any other good software?

You may have less installation difficulties with the
UK made "Affinity Photo" that replaced PS entirely
throughout my workflow in conjunction with my Danish
RAW converter. I am Adobe free now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPFCpAvzIUo
Does this software have layers? I heard someone else speak of this recently and am quite intrigued although it has taken me quite some time to get comfortable with Photoshop (and still it defeats me at times but then maybe I expect too much, who knows?) Would it allow use of the Nik software? Sorry for the interrogation!

As I am not an imager but a photographer, the most
important piece of software is the RAW converter.

My needs are all covered, after publishing, with Affinity
that I use very little but I love the precision.
so if there is something better than photoshop then great.
No, not at this time. PS is on the market for 2 decade+
and Affinity is a newcomer that's growing mighty fast.
I appreciate it may be overkill at this stage of my development
For sure… but though I've been working with it for many
years and was an advanced user, I think Affinity will cover
very well your immediate needs and you will grow with them.
What version would anyone suggest if … other good software?
The actual versions are pretty much the better choice.

Ok, one more question. I use Lightroom to catalogue my images; how do you catalogue your images - is there an alternative?

is there an alternative?

YES!

All my students are converted to sessions workflows.
In my operations, there is no need for libraries or ca-
ta
logues.

Unless you can get hold of an old version you cannot buy PS these days.
The only way to get it is by monthly/annual subscription to the Adobe Photographers version which is only available as a download. This will cost around £10/ month , (you might get it cheaper if you look on Amazon or similar) and you will get Lightroom/Photoshop and Bridge , these will always be up to date
Although I just noticed someone on Amazon is offering a download of CS6 with serial no for £20, if it is legitimate and virus free or not is another matter
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the £20 copy of CS6 is as legitimate as a £3 note:)

As well as Affinity (which I also recommend for everything except raw conversion and cataloguing), Lightroom and Photoshop Elements are still available for purchase rather than 'rental'. Camera companies often have surprisingly good free raw converters these days, like Nikon's Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i.

Interesting! Affinity via Amazon seems to be a B & W version or its not an English version. What concerns me as a starter is that if I start to use Photoshop say, it may well take some time to get used to it and then learn the basic features to produce better/enhanced photos. I don't really want to get into in-depth editing

Interesting! Affinity via Amazon seems to be a B & W version or its not an English version. What concerns me as a starter is that if I start to use Photoshop say, it may well take some time to get used to it and then learn the basic features to produce better/enhanced photos. I don't really want to get into in-depth editing

Depends what you want to edit? I use LR5 most of the time, if I want to clone something out I have found Affinity to be better than Lightroom.

Both photoshop and Affinity are a big learning curve.

You can download a trial version of Affinity from the App Store.

I think Affinity is cheaper, but what is it that you are trying edit. This may help with suggestions.

try photoshop elements 15 is a cut down version of the full photoshop
it has 3 different levels built into it for you to use depending on your level of experience
its a doddle to use and produces great results
cheap to buy as well
thats all you will need unless your a superstar whiz

Affinity Photo for the Mac, as far as I am aware, is only available through the App store, and is a product by Serif. You have found Affinity Black and White on Amazon by Snow Software, which has nothing to do with Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo works in a similar way to Photoshop, and I, like many, will probably not bother renewing my Photoshop annual subscription, once Affinity matures a little, its still only at version 1.5, and I find its a bit resource heavy at times, when compared to Photoshop. Serif have a very good youtube channel full of Affinity Photo tutorials, as well as lots of third party youtube videos.

But have you exhausted the capabilities of the built in Photos, Its more powerful than it first appears, especially if you don't want to get into in-depth editing. I keep on hearing good things about it, but never actually given it a go.

Graham

I think Photoshop Elements is where you need to start and can be bought easily. Full on Photoshop will be too much and you can always look at it later as and when you get up to speed. I would avoid all other options as PS and Elements are mature products that really still set the standard, however much many of us may complain about Adobe. In time Affinity will probably deliver but, as far as I'm concerned, still has quite some way to go.

A very interesting discussion which tempts to give Affinity a trial run. Kodiac refers to his Danish raw converter, what is that, please?

A good place to start would be to tell us your current workflow, how you deal with photos from the camera (do you shoot in raw), what programs you use, how you output the photos (online/print/etc).

Quality programme, not a good place to start.

If this is in response to my post, Kodiak when referring to the Danish Raw convertor wasn't suggesting that the OP should use it, he was just saying, as part of recommending Affinity Photo to the OP, that it, and Affinity Photo had replaced Adobe for him.

I am not a novice and have been using Photoshop for many years. However, I am always keen to try something different hence my question.

What raw converter would you suggest I try to replace Adobe Camera Raw?

Last edited:
I am not a novice and have been using Photoshop for many years. However, I am always keen to try something different hence my question.

What raw converter would you suggest I try to replace Adobe Camera Raw?

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but the Capture One you tube channel is a useful starting point https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBZS3EGK3tQ_r65ab8XMT1gHmKo2_AZNg

I've used Lightroom, DXO and Capture 1 for several years now, lightroom for the longest time, and by far prefer Capture One, but its expensive.

If this is in response to my post, Kodiak when referring to the Danish Raw convertor wasn't suggesting that the OP should use it, he was just saying, as part of recommending Affinity Photo to the OP, that it, and Affinity Photo had replaced Adobe for him.

It was a reaction to your post but intended for the OP. It wasn't meant to be critical of you but this thread is heading off at a tangent that is only likely to confuse him. The last thing he needs, I think, is to go rushing off looking at the more exotic options.

It was a reaction to your post but intended for the OP. It wasn't meant to be critical of you but this thread is heading off at a tangent that is only likely to confuse him. The last thing he needs, I think, is to go rushing off looking at the more exotic options.
Threads do have a habit of going off at a tangent, its difficult not to, as any one answer can trigger several tangential questions.

My Mac operates on macOS Sierra. Im looking to purchase Photoshop (if thats the best out there). But it seems there are or have been issues downloading Photoshop as opposed to getting the CD version (I don't have a CD facility on the laptop as many Macs don't). Can anyone offer any advice on using a Mac with Photoshop in that what is the best way to install on the laptop? The next stage will be of course learning how to use the software but I guess there are many online tutorials out there. Amazon the best place to purchase the software?

A question that has been asked several times in different ways is "what do you want the software to do?".

Most photographers want software that will allow them to process the images that their camera produces to create an optimal version of that image. For that it is easier and faster to use purpose-designed image development software, examples of which are Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (often just called Lightroom) Capture One, DXO Optics Pro, Photodirector and On1 Photo Raw. For additional manipulation of an image that goes beyond image development - stuff like replacing skies, changing the colour of clothing, putting different heads on bodies etc etc - then pixel-level image editing software is required, examples of which are Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Affinity Photo, GIMP.

Many of these programs are available to try FOC for 30 days, and I would recommend downloading at least one to evaluate.

Words of wisdom, indeed, from an ancient_mariner, thank you.

Affinity Photo for the Mac, as far as I am aware, is only available through the App store, and is a product by Serif. You have found Affinity Black and White on Amazon by Snow Software, which has nothing to do with Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo works in a similar way to Photoshop, and I, like many, will probably not bother renewing my Photoshop annual subscription, once Affinity matures a little, its still only at version 1.5, and I find its a bit resource heavy at times, when compared to Photoshop. Serif have a very good youtube channel full of Affinity Photo tutorials, as well as lots of third party youtube videos.

But have you exhausted the capabilities of the built in Photos, Its more powerful than it first appears, especially if you don't want to get into in-depth editing. I keep on hearing good things about it, but never actually given it a go.

Graham
having beta tested for a while the High Sierra OS Apple photos has even more editing options coming in the general release of high Sierra in the falll. which greatly improves on the original

having beta tested for a while the High Sierra OS Apple photos has even more editing options coming in the general release of high Sierra in the falll. which greatly improves on the original

Well, Apple did suggest with the demise of aperture that Photos was the foundation of something that would be better - eventually. I hope that Final Cut Pro X is a good example, where the people who stuck with FCP seem to be very enthusiastic about it (Now), including some coming back from changing to Premiere Pro, but equally with many not giving it a second chance. We do so hate change.

Yes, totally. (y)

Translate "Danish Raw convertor" by Capture One Pro.

On topic or not, I also quite like the DXO plug in for the apple pictures app.

yes extensions is a very useful addition

In a discussion in "another place" someone mentioned that they found Photos to be a perfectly adequate database for their photographs, which makes a Photos + Affinity a very useful sounding combination

Back