Pic(s) you took today - an open thread

I seeded a small patch of buttercups the other year.
They are now breaking through, no mow for that patch for a while.

View attachment 392315

Buttercups in large numbers are not something we are used to in the North of Scotland. I recently went to a caravan club event, near Birmingham, and we were pitched in a meadow full of buttercups. I couldn't believe how many there were, nor their ability to get everywhere.....

Buttercups 10710 by James West, on Flickr

Buttercups 10705 by James West, on Flickr

buttercups 10681 by James West, on Flickr

Hi folks - I haven't been around these parts for a while, but I got the camera out yesterday, not today.

Went to the beach and saw this bright red moth flying around, couldn't catch it flying, but as far as I can gather it is a six spotted burnet.

Broch 10782 by James West, on Flickr

I understand this is a birds foot trefoil, which is what these moths lay their eggs on, so that possibly ties together...

Broch 10777 by James West, on Flickr

I've no idea what this is. Another plant adapted to live in sand dunes or hostile environments.

Broch 10785 by James West, on Flickr

Finally a picture of Muttley. I have very few pictures of him. It seems to be very difficult taking a photo of a black fuzzy dog. He can often look like a caricature cut out and stuck on a photograph. He also doesn't like having his photo taken. As soon as he sees the camera he usually sulks and turns away. I've no idea why. However he was 11 last week, and like myself, after being extremely healthy the last year hasn't been quite as good. I thought my opportunity to take photos of him may not go on forever.

Wallace 10793 by James West, on Flickr
Lovely picture of Muttley

Just taking in some cooler air in the garden this evening, used the pre-burst capture mode on Pana G9 to get the sparrow leaving the roof nest.

Edit - I can see lots of banding around the pigeon on the posted picture, that's a first for me.

005 13 06 23.jpg
007 13 06 23.jpg
008 13 06 23.jpg

Last edited:
Back