Please recommend a new body.

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
please recommend a new body or kit as I feel it's time to upgrade my canon 450d.

I already have
70-200 f4l is
50mm f1.4
18-55 kit lens
50mm f1.8 need to sell as no point having with the 1.4

Thanks

I could do with a new house too, so if anyone can recommend me one?

I already have
a 42 inch Samsung HD TV,
a computer,
two-piece 5 seater sofa set,
king size bed
Kitchen table and chairs.

Not wishing to be disrespectful, I bet you can't recommend a house I'd like without some additional detail from me... and it's the same with a camera kit or new body! So give us a clue, what kind of photography do you do (or want to do), and what's your budget? :)

Last edited:
please recommend a new body or kit as I feel it's time to upgrade my canon 450d.
Why?

(serious question, your answer is relevant to knowing what might fit your needs.. as would knowing your needs, rather than your kit list.. your current kit list isn't that relevant, lenses can be sold..)

Not to sure on new bodies ,but a good golden oldie would be bo derek .with Ursula Andress a close second

Why?

(serious question, your answer is relevant to knowing what might fit your needs.. as would knowing your needs, rather than your kit list.. your current kit list isn't that relevant, lenses can be sold..)
Seconded. Why?

Specifically, what do you want to do that your current kit can't do, or can't do well enough for your needs?

Thanks for the replies.

I like taking photos of my family, (candid/ portrait)
have 1 5yo and 2 x 9 yo. I also enjoy taking photos of landscapes, plants/flowers. Wildlife, architecture.

Would also like ability to be able to record video too.

I like taking photos of my family, (candid/ portrait)
have 1 5yo and 2 x 9 yo. I also enjoy taking photos of landscapes, plants/flowers. Wildlife, architecture.

Would also like ability to be able to record video too.
OK, assuming that "wildlife" doesn't mean "small birds on the wing, flying erratically", none of that is particularly demanding camera-wise. I would expect your 450D to be able to cope quite comfortably, but of course it doesn't do video. So to my mind the obvious upgrade would be to the 600D or a newer model in the 3-digit range. That will give you a camera that feels very similar to the one you have now, but with HD video, more pixels, better low-light capability, better autofocus, and an articulated screen on the back.

Our house backs on to a large forest so would like to be able to catch birds and the odd fox and rabbit.

Also we now have a yearly air show with excellent views from my back garden.

Also need to be able to take product shots of items we sell. Mobile phones, laptops, pcs, computer parts etc.

Hope this all helps.

What's your budget? Obviously we could recommend a whole list, but a lot could be outside of your budget.

Budget is not really an issue.
That's easy then.

I'm sure we can pull out our fantasy camera wishlists and put together a very nice set-up around £10k..

Around 1k but can be more or less. Don't mind second hand if it's enough discount to have no warranty
as above really you would get more value from upgrading your glass 1st. is there anything on your camera that is limiting you at the moment? and what?

It's true what people are saying that you will get more from upgrading your glass, but it is becoming more and more apparent that the lens/camera combo is very important. For example, if you take the Canon 70-200mm f4L IS USM it scores 2mpix higher on the cheaper 'amateur' 760d than the more 'professional' 7D-II. Likewise the same lens on the 450d scores a further 2mpix lower.

I guess it depends whether you want to stick to crop body or think you will upgrade to FF at some point. Assuming that you want something that will last I always recommend getting the best that you can afford at a given moment. Tech moves on so fast that models quickly get surpassed. That's not to say that the old model becomes poor all of a sudden, but if you buy a 2nd or 3rd rate camera it's not long before it's a 4th, 5th and 6th rate camera and the desire to upgrade becomes stronger again. That's not true for everyone of course, but you see it all the time. Assuming that you want to stick to crop body then that would suggest the 77d, or a used 7D-II. These also have the advantage of much higher MP allowing you to crop more which is useful for wildlife, and also product photography. However, as good as the performance of the 7D-II is the sensor does let it down a touch, and as alluded to earlier your final image 'might' not be quite as good as one of the other new crop bodies. Technique (including lighting) will play far more of a part in this though.

As mentioned glass is important. For wildlife and airshows 70-200mm probably isn't enough reach, even on crop body so I would be looking at getting something longer. The 100-400mm is pretty expensive and out of budget new, therefore I'd seriously consider the Tamron 150-600mm VC or the Sigma 150-60mm C. I've not looked around but it might be possible to pick up a used 77D and 150-600mm just slightly over budget. For family and product shots the 50mm should be absolutely fine. For landscape the 18-55mm should be OK for now, and if you find that you do a lot maybe upgrade at a later date. Of course, if you do more landscape than wildlife/airshows then maybe look at upgrading that first. That being said, the 18-55m at f8-11 should give pretty decent results.

Get a used 7Dmk2, blisteringly fast for the wildlife and will keep your lenses long, being a crop sensor. I recently went full frame for modeling shoots ect but still have the 7Dmk2 with me on every occasion as it's a really versatile, functional body with massive battery life, especially with a grip attached and additional battery.

Not to much of an issue. Just asking as it's not to much of a jump.

Assuming that you want to stick to crop body then that would suggest the 77d, or a used 7D-II. These also have the advantage of much higher MP allowing you to crop more which is useful for wildlife, and also product photography. However, as good as the performance of the 7D-II is the sensor does let it down a touch, and as alluded to earlier your final image 'might' not be quite as good as one of the other new crop bodies. Technique (including lighting) will play far more of a part in this though.

As mentioned glass is important. For wildlife and airshows 70-200mm probably isn't enough reach, even on crop body so I would be looking at getting something longer. The 100-400mm is pretty expensive and out of budget new, therefore I'd seriously consider the Tamron 150-600mm VC or the Sigma 150-60mm C. I've not looked around but it might be possible to pick up a used 77D and 150-600mm just slightly over budget. For family and product shots the 50mm should be absolutely fine. For landscape the 18-55mm should be OK for now, and if you find that you do a lot maybe upgrade at a later date. Of course, if you do more landscape than wildlife/airshows then maybe look at upgrading that first. That being said, the 18-55m at f8-11 should give pretty decent results.

This is good advice, but a used 7d Mk II or a new 77D (it's a brand new model so there aren't any used ones around) will cost you £800+. If your budget is around £1000 that doesn't give you enough headroom for a half--decent wildlife lens, let alone a flash or a tripod or stuff like that. I'd suggest that it might be more appropriate to look for a used 700D for say £350-£400, or a used 70D for say £500, and spend the rest on the other stuff you need.

It's also worth noting that as you go further up the model range, you tend to get:
  • more options for configuration (e.g. tuning the response of the AF system);
  • more direct controls on the camera (i.e. you can configure more things without having to dive into the menu system);
  • less automation (e.g. no 'scene' modes, no quick control screen);
  • no real difference in image quality, most of the time.

I do have flash and tripods already.

I don't mind spending a bit over budget especially on a lens as I would plan to keep for a long time.

I'll just need lens and body.

Is there any reason no one has suggested 80d ?

I do have flash and tripods already.

I don't mind spending a bit over budget especially on a lens as I would plan to keep for a long time.

I'll just need lens and body.

Is there any reason no one has suggested 80d ?
the 80d is very good, if you combined that with a sigma or Tamron 150-600mm you would have a great set up. the 80 is supposed to be good for video as well but for that lens and body its well over your budget

the 80d is very good, if you combined that with a sigma or Tamron 150-600mm you would have a great set up. the 80 is supposed to be good for video as well but for that lens and body its well over your budget
What he said. It's a very good camera but if you also want to get a wildlife lens such as a 150-600mm you'll be considerably over your budget.

Thanks for all the replies you've been great.

So pros and cons of 77d /80d / 7d Mk 2 and same with the sigma and tamron?

Thanks again

Just found 80d about the same price as 77d

Amazon have it new with 18-55 is stm lens for ££949.99 + £80 cash back after £869.99

77d body on its own is £829.99

Is there any reason no one is mentioning the 800D rather than the 77D ... as I understand it the only real differences are in handling with the 77D offering the top panel LCD (and in the USA the stigma of it being a "Rebel" is removed from the 77D) and it will save £50.

Just found 80d about the same price as 77d

Amazon have it new with 18-55 is stm lens for ££949.99 + £80 cash back after £869.99

77d body on its own is £829.99
thats a good deal with the cash back

How much would a mint condition, used 7D II cost from a long-established firm with a good 6 or 12 month warranty, and would you use any additional features the 7D II might have? If so, you might drop less money going down the used route in relation to a new 80D or 77D, after all, you'll probably be wanting to upgrade the camera body again in a few years time. Perhaps something to think about? Hope this is useful and best of luck choosing your new camera - it's a nice position to be in. (y) :)

Last edited:
7d mkii is £999 brand new after cash back and discount from Jessops

Can't find a used one much cheaper.

What are pros and cons on sigma vs tamron?

Last edited:
Is there any reason no one is mentioning the 800D rather than the 77D ... as I understand it the only real differences are in handling with the 77D offering the top panel LCD....
That's a very big deal though.

Same price as Wex, I have ordered one from them!

None, you're splitting hairs between them in terms of performance and IQ. You do get the advantage of being able to use the SIgma dock with theirs which is a handy little thing. Tamron have brought a dock out now too but it's only compatible with their new G2 150-600mm and that's still pretty expensive at the mo.

That's a good price. It's £1249 in most shops. But Jessops, WEx and Park Cameras are currently offering a £125 discount, plus Canon are offering £125 cash back, making £999 net.

That's a good price. It's £1249 in most shops. But Jessops, WEx and Park Cameras are currently offering a £125 discount, plus Canon are offering £125 cash back, making £999 net.
Agreed, which is why used ones aren't much cheaper at the mo, and neither are grey. Good time to buy a shiny new 7D-II at the mo (y)

Back