Polar Bears

Name
Jeremy
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently returned from a trip to Churchill, Canada photographing polar bears. These were taken on a mixture of an EOS 7D and 60D.

I can highly recommend this trip as it was awe inspiring, however if you decide to visit please consider using an ethical provider, as tourism is threatening the ecosystem in Churchill.

Love the light in the first one and the comp of the last. You have just made us envious. Thanks for sharing

Thank-you very much, I've already decided to go on the same trip next November as this was most memorable adventure I've had (including the 42 hour train trip each way from Winnipeg!).

What a journey and what pics truly beautifull all of them . No1 for the light and no 2 deserves a caption.

Really beautiful animals and excellent pictures! :)

The light in the 1st pic is lovely. You could almost add a caption to the 2nd pic "Are you taking a photo of moi"

excellent captures...looks like a once in a life time opportunity!

I have to say in terms of the shots alot of them seem a bit flat...obviously the light has a major effect on the pictures over there and exposing for white fur must be difficult....some seem a bit soft too, but then shooting a moving animal at 420mm in that light must have been difficult!!

Maybe im being to critical...and i've never shot (or probably will) a polar bear. I think the whole David Attenborough - planet earth has made spoiled me! :)

well done for getting these shots!!!

excellent captures...looks like a once in a life time opportunity!

I have to say in terms of the shots alot of them seem a bit flat...obviously the light has a major effect on the pictures over there and exposing for white fur must be difficult....some seem a bit soft too, but then shooting a moving animal at 420mm in that light must have been difficult!!

Maybe im being to critical...and i've never shot (or probably will) a polar bear. I think the whole David Attenborough - planet earth has made spoiled me! :)

well done for getting these shots!!!

Thanks for your feedback, you're not being critical as this is the kind of advice I was looking for. I think next time I'll use my tripod, these were hand held and the light wasn't great with snow and mist to contend with. I do find my Canon 300mm f/4 plus TC soft, despite the positive reviews it gets. I'm sure that the Canon f/2.8 300mm would be sharper, however if I bought that I wouldn't be able to afford to travel for a while.

The shots are absolutely stunning, although personally would have left the first one out as he lokos a lot softer/oof compared to the others...

I can highly recommend this trip as it was awe inspiring, however if you decide to visit please consider using an ethical provider, as tourism is threatening the ecosystem in Churchill.

While I think the photos are great, I find your ecosystem quote slightly galling. Although, every little helps.

Did you fly to Canada? ... Can you see where I'm going with this?

Beautiful animals and great shots !
What a wonderful place to visit.

Regarding the debate about the ethical situation, yes I did fly to Canada I'm afraid, although once there I travelled overland. Seeing the bears does raise a lot of questions about their survival, particularly with regard to global warming.

The key local controversy is about the operation of the tundra buggies used by the two licensed operators in Churchill. I don't want to go too far off topic but I witnessed them being driven off trails and bears being deliberately attracted towards the humans by food preparation. I went with a conservation charity www.greatbear.org who use a bus to get around and are sensitive to the wildlife.

Thanks again for the comments on my pictures, and I hope I haven't broken any rules by talking about this.

what else can I say that hasn't been said above... all lovely shots, really breath taking
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Back