Polaroid 110A 4x5 Conversion

Ok, I'm in need of some F&C wisdom! I'm starting to look at materials again for skinning the 110 and am stumped. My head is telling me to use leather (black or brown) because it's more in line with the original camera and will also be considerably easier to fit but the designer in me is looking at wood veneers.

I know I've asked this before and the general feeling seemed to be wood but I really can't decide. At this rate I'll be shootings with it bare metal at the Lakes meet!

These are just some spare pieces I've got showing two leathers and a wenge veneer;

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1441712723.246669.jpg

If I use the wenge veneer I'd probably be running the grain vertically rather than horizontal.

Help!

Last edited:
I liked the wood on the last project but I think that the leather would work better this time.

Andy

And please stop posting pictures of your groin...... :hungover:

Brown...... or black....oooh tartan sounds nice.

Tartan!

Very nice but would be even better if it was a piece of timber for the plates. Maybe ebony top and bottom with black leather skin and dark grey alcantara inside the rear door/storage area.

You can get ebony blanks from ebay for fairly cheap. I bought one a while back to use a knife scales, but never finished the blade itself.

You've got plenty of spare time Steve so piano black finish all round.

I managed to find an hour to work on the DDS holder and new end section I've made after removing the original film cutter. I started by binding the plastic u-section to the camera body last night using araldite.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1441797419.203905.jpg

This morning once it had all dried I filled in the gap with a hot glue gun to add some more strength as well as little flex for the DDS to slot in. This will be covered once finished so I wasn't too bothered about how smooth the finish was although I still managed to burn my thumb flattening the glue while it was drying!

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1441797466.408156.jpg

Once that was painted and dried, I removed the mdf end section I made to replace the original cutter. I then fitted a strip of acrylic to fill the gap in the front of the body and primed the whole end section to give it a flat surface.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1441797568.723953.jpg

While that was drying I made a finger grip cutout to allow removal of the DDS then fitted a soft edging material underneath to make it look more finished.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1441797623.968727.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1441797633.223071.jpg

Now I need to pickup some black leather to skin the outside panels and dark grey suede/alcantara to trip the inside.

Last edited:
So much awesome in every update :)

Really admire the progress you're making despite the constant nagging in my head of, "what happened to that idea you had ...". Though I am now the proud owner of a hot glue gun so you can look forward to my thread asking how to get hot glue out of the carpet before the other half notices it (y)

Great to see the progress you're making with this Steve although I can imagine @Andysnap won't be happy with the lack of shots of your groin which seemed to excite him so much yesterday.

So much awesome in every update :)

Really admire the progress you're making despite the constant nagging in my head of, "what happened to that idea you had ...". Though I am now the proud owner of a hot glue gun so you can look forward to my thread asking how to get hot glue out of the carpet before the other half notices it (y)

Thanks Dean. Annoyingly my other two on-going projects (Lightblock and TLR filters) have had to be put on hold while I get some more budget together and the laser cutter comes back online. I haven't shelved them, just life getting in the way!

With regards to glue gun on the carpet, let it dry first then rub it :0)

Great to see the progress you're making with this Steve although I can imagine @Andysnap won't be happy with the lack of shots of your groin which seemed to excite him so much yesterday.

Yeah, I did feel that my updates today won't tickle his fancy so tomorrow I'll put a suspenders panties and a bra on just for Andy...[emoji15]

It's only slightly nerve-wracking drilling a big hole through the door/frame of my 110...

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1441804680.864674.jpg

These two magnets should hold the rear door shut without needing any external clips etc. if they're not enough I'll add the same to the top side of the door too.

I think the words 'repel' and 'appall' are more appropriate than 'excite'.

Yeah, I did feel that my updates today won't tickle his fancy so tomorrow I'll put a suspenders panties and a bra on just for Andy...[emoji15]

A horrible thought....

8-}

Ok, I've never been very good at tracking my exposures but I reckon LF needs more 'control'. I've drawn up a basic tracking sheet that's going to be laminated and clipped inside the rear door so I can use a dry wipe pen and re-use it.

Is there anything else I should be tracking?

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1441813163.712054.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1441813176.533109.jpg

The boxes can be ticked when the sheet has been exposed.

Cheers
Steve

I usually add location to the DDS so I know roughly what's in each holder and if I'm tracking stuff then the shutter speed, aperture and Ev.

Back