Portfolio Advice (Portfolio Pics Added)

princeclan

Suspended / Banned
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have applied for a degree at university starting this year. Just had a call from the university asking me to attend an interview on wednesday this week and bring along my portfolio:shake:

Firstly i dont have a portfolio. I have 100's of photos but havent cropped and adjusted them yet.:bang:

Do you have any tips on doing a portfolio?

I was thinking of 10x A4 pictures sharpened, and adjusted in photoshop. With half of them being portraiture and the other half aviation (2 of my passions)

Surely they arent looking for amazing photos or i wouldnt need to do a degree right? :nuts:

What do you think?

Matt

I think they will be looking at your present level of ability to see how you currently approach photography. I don't think they will be looking for outstanding technical quality but more of how you have 'seen your subject', 'handled composition', the artistic stuff. Try not to include quick snaps. Fewer well composed, nicely exposed and interesting prints are better than a lot of average stuff. Hope the interview goes well. Good luck!

Remember, less is often more. Don't repeat yourself.

The uni should be helpful if you give them a call back and ask what they're expecting. Does it even have to be a printed folio? Or could it be a digital one.

You're on the right lines with showing what you're passionate about. They'll no doubt ask you about the photos as well, what you were thinking, how you shot it, and why you shot it. So it'll help if it's a subject you are passionate about.

If you have a couple of other interesting shots from other genres, it could be good to show that you aren't a one (ok two) trick pony. And, the most important thing for uni: That you're willing to explore new areas and test yourself. Make sure they're good though. :p

Good luck!

Most universities look for a high level of photography, some higher than others! you would want to submit your best photos, maybe get some friends to pick their favourite and then compile the final 10 out of the most popular?

No one needs a degree, people choose to do a degree to further their knowledge and seek better job prospects in the future. Going into a photography degree thinking that they wont expect a very high standard of photography seems abit odd. They arnt going to expect you to be at the same standard as Rankin, Bailey or Weston but dont expect you to rock up not knowing anything at all.

Have you studied photography at A level or foundation?

Ok... Here is the 8 photos ive printed out as 8x6's that i have put in a portfolio folder.

Critique & Comments Please..

portfolio8.jpg

portfolio7.jpg

portfolio6.jpg

portfolio5.jpg

portfolio4.jpg

portfolio3.jpg

portfolio2.jpg

portfolio1.jpg

Regards

Matt

what is the course?? fine art photography or design?
some places look for interpretive art renditions rather than the more standard photography.. it completely changes. still as you said, they won't be expecting wonders otherwise they'd have to put you on the staff roster

I would have these in a book or folder and a sentance of why they're important
as was mentioned "less is more" (at least according to simon cowell) and paragraphs can be skipped. a sentence 12 words long less so.

i have my interview tomorrow for my HND year and for my portfolio i have to bring a maximum of 20 a3 pictures.

our lecturer recommended us getting the prints mounted so they looked their best and having a wide selection of work which shows your skills and abilities.

im not sure but i think 8" x 6" is maybe a bit too small. my first portfolio to get into my HNC year were all done at a4 which i would say is the minimum size.

an understanding of technical things like various apertures and shutterspeeds would be good to use in your portfolio, because it shows you know how the camera works!

I'll try and respond in a little more detail later princeclan but I would think you would need a little more material than 8 or 10 pictures. When I went to my uni interview (which was for Fine Art) I produced quite a lot more than that.

If they're not looking for academic qualifications as well (eg A levels) then this is all you have to prove that you are a committed, talented student.

I can call them back abnd rearrange the interview for a week or 2 time. Be honest please do you think the quality of my pics are enough to get on?

Matt

Do they need to be printed out by someone like jessops(better quality than home printing) or would home printing be good enough?

Matt

Matt,

I think you should do that. Even if you have the pics I don't think you have the time to sort through them picking the best, do some processing and then get them printed and mounted to do them justice.

How doyou mean 'mounted'?

Matt

So have i got it wrong? I thought they wouldnt be looking for brilliant pics as that is the reason i want to do a degree, to learn.

Is it that they dont teach the technical side and expect someone who is fluent in photography and the degree is to concentrate on the message photos give out and developing peronal styple etc?
Matt

looking at that course... they dont put a huge amount of emphasis on previous knowledge... there is only a tiny section with requirements... and not a large emphasise put on the interview (eg. no specific guidelines with what to bring) so id say yes, if you mount your pictures nicely, (A4 at least) they should be good enough,

and its an interview, so make a good impression (y):p

:) Then thats what you need to do, instead of just present the pics, explain why they mean something to you... really translate your passion for the pics and photography to the interviewer :) its all there really looking for in the end: someone who is motivated to learn

Fallen Mathi,

Cheers for the really positive comments. I think i am going to call them tomorrow and arrange it for 2 weeks down the line.

I am then going to dedicate all this week and go and get somne dramatci shots (seascape, waterfall etc) to demonstrate different shutter speed effects , aperture etc)

I think i will then put them in a nice looking folder and also put a little card at the bottom of each showing the exif data and a short explination of why i took it, what it measns to me and the effect i wanted to get.

Matt

taking more photo's is always a good idea, but it's also about presenting what you have in the best way possible. Since we don't actually know how hard this particular course is to get on to, it makes sense to present the best standard of work you can.

taking more photo's is always a good idea, but it's also about presenting what you have in the best way possible. Since we don't actually know how hard this particular course is to get on to, it makes sense to present the best standard of work you can.

Well i dontg know how true it is but i have been told by someone who works in a uni (not that one) that colleges are struggling at the moment and they are more likely to be more leniant in their entry requirements than before.

Matt

try and find the dates of the photos taken because if you find some good ones that are 3 or 4 years old (or for example when you were young) then the uni can see some talent that had developed at a young age.

I have to say I agree, to a lesser extent about the snaps business
not for all of them by any means...but do bear in mind that you are posting on a photography forum, asking for honst opinions and people are more than willing to be honest...sometimes brutally so.
I would have 12 ish prints, A4 would be a min...well presented. have some words as to why the prints are important...and if there was anything technical undertaken

if you want some quick ideas, and this your CV that you're playing with really...go through the TP competition categories...and take 1-2 shots for each cat.
Get a friend to pose for you, if you want to show off moody portraits etc. really show off your ability. pics 2 7 and 8 are more than snaps for me.
The rest are nice photos but they mean something to you because they are yours. Art is always, by its very nature, subjective.
Always present yourself in the best light. and for high quality prints? you can get them done and back in 1 day from photobox if that's the standard you need.

I have to say I agree, to a lesser extent about the snaps business
not for all of them by any means...but do bear in mind that you are posting on a photography forum, asking for honst opinions and people are more than willing to be honest...sometimes brutally so.
I would have 12 ish prints, A4 would be a min...well presented. have some words as to why the prints are important...and if there was anything technical undertaken

if you want some quick ideas, and this your CV that you're playing with really...go through the TP competition categories...and take 1-2 shots for each cat.
Get a friend to pose for you, if you want to show off moody portraits etc. really show off your ability. pics 2 7 and 8 are more than snaps for me.
The rest are nice photos but they mean something to you because they are yours. Art is always, by its very nature, subjective.
Always present yourself in the best light. and for high quality prints? you can get them done and back in 1 day from photobox if that's the standard you need.

Hi,

Thanks fot the reply. If im honest, looking through the pics i do agree with you about 2,7 and 8 being better shots.

Im dedicating all this week and weekend to go out and get some better shots.

Matt

I know that there's been lots of replies to the thread but just thought I'd throw in my 2pence worth having freshly completed my degree in fine art photography:

I'd personally print your portfolio 10x8 size seeing as it's mainly concerned with portraiture - photobox is useful but to be honest there's not allot of difference that I've found between them and jessops at the smaller sizes. Be confidant about your work - the interview is as much about the images as the way you talk about your work and ideas. Have a think in a quieter moment about why you want to do this degree and what it means to you just to ensure you go into the interview focused and ready to answer their questions. A question that kept cropping up, in both interviews and chats with course lecturers is about favourite photographers and artists, influences in my work why / their impact. I like the idea of Dizmatts' of going through the competition section and drawing inspiration from that but equally look at photographers and see if they influence you. Also from reading the course description, and the fact that the degree award is a Fine Art and Documentary Photography BA then look at documentary photographers and fine art photography and also at different processes / formats that you may want to explore in the future - if you're able to talk about some of this in your interview then going from my experience of interviews and my course then I'd rekon you'd be a shoe-in and if not you'll be very clear in your intended direction....maybe! Best of luck

Cheers Joodles,

Ive not been into it for long hence i dont really look upto anybody. Well not famous anyway. I want to do the degree to further my knowledge in Photography and be able to make my pictures mean something instead of them being just "snaps".

Matt

Thank you Matt for asking this question - I have my interview on Monday. I have 8x10s mounted on white card, one progression taking 4 images (though I may just put 2 in I think).

They want to know that you can take a photograph and know why you took it and why you did what you did.

Good luck for your interview.

Hi,

Having read all the replies i think im going to call tomorrow and put it off for about 3 weeks. That will give me chance to really sit down and think about what images i want to take. Then i can take them to the best of my ability and get them printed out properly and put them on card in a nice portfolio.

Also i can have a look at some fine art photographers and see if one does inspire me.

Cant see the point in rushing it and getting knocked back.

Matt

Hi,

Having read all the replies i think im going to call tomorrow and put it off for about 3 weeks. That will give me chance to really sit down and think about what images i want to take. Then i can take them to the best of my ability and get them printed out properly and put them on card in a nice portfolio.

Also i can have a look at some fine art photographers and see if one does inspire me.

Cant see the point in rushing it and getting knocked back.

Matt

that could well say to them that you're not comitted and don't work to deadline though - be careful!

that could well say to them that you're not comitted and don't work to deadline though - be careful!

Hi,

Yeah spose it could but she called and said it was very short notice and it was fine if i couldnt make it. I just snapped her hand off as i hadnt heard anything for a while.

Matt

The university might give you an idea of the volume and size you are looking for. I was asked to take 15-20 A4 images to my interview and that was college.

Good luck though.

I got a nice presentation folder rather than mounting but that's due to me being told I didn't need to mount them. I'm surprised they didn't give a bit more info on their requirements. I'd imagine 8x10 mounted would be acceptable though.

Hi,

Well i called today and she is asking the tutor when he can see me next. Id rather go prepared than rush it.

Im going do 20 photos all A4 size in a nice folder.

Matt

Back