Posting camera to New York

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I have a used camera for sale at £4500 and an interested party would like it sent to New York

boxed it’s 1-2kg

I checked ups and it tells me about £30 delivery
A compensation calculator seems to be another £200
and then there could still be import duty? Couldn’t that be hundreds?

It seems to be pretty costly, is that right? Should I not bother, or is there something I’m missing

The cost of sending is payable by you, but whether you pay anything depends on what you agree with the buyer.

Import duty, etc, is down to the buyer and is based on what you, the seller, state as the cameras value on the customs declaration.

Beware, though, that 'mail fraud' takes many forms. Personally I'd look for a UK based buyer (assuming that's where you're based), on the simple basis that you'll be better based to deal with any issues, albeit not immune from them.

Last edited:
Yes the complications added to the risk is becoming a head ache. UPS website is not clear on many things, doesn’t estimate duty doesn’t include insurance or give option of adding it, too much deep diving to find Snippets of information

As you are selling on eBay, wouldn't their Global Shipping Programme cover your needs?
I've used it selling within the EU without issues.

As you are selling on eBay, wouldn't their Global Shipping Programme cover your needs?
I've used it selling within the EU without issues.

eu is probably easier, at least whilst we are still in the eu with no duty.

it’s a Facebook ad not eBay.

eu is probably easier, at least whilst we are still in the eu with no duty.

it’s a Facebook ad not eBay.
Could you not direct him/her to your eBay listing?
You post to the UK shipping depot, he/she pays for the route forward.

Yes the complications added to the risk is becoming a head ache. UPS website is not clear on many things, doesn’t estimate duty doesn’t include insurance or give option of adding it, too much deep diving to find Snippets of information
UPS give you the option to calculate the insurance once you get into the booking process. It ain't cheap.

I hear such grim stories about e bay that I don't sell. Are you pretty sure that this is a genuine sale?

I have used e.bay global shipping to send cameras and lenses worldwide ,well worth the fees paid ... Facebook on the other hand is full of scammers ... it’s your call but due to value I would take the book a flight option . Fed.ex might insure it to its value ? ...

BUT one thing really really bothers me , cameras and lenses in general are normally far cheaper stateside so why would someone over there want to buy Used from the u.k ... if it smells like b******t it normally is ..

Plus have you checked how much MPB would offer .no hassle might be a bit less but no worries ... and honestly this post has all the alarm bells ringing

Last edited:
I have used e.bay global shipping to send cameras and lenses worldwide ,well worth the fees paid ... Facebook on the other hand is full of scammers ... it’s your call but due to value I would take the book a flight option . Fed.ex might insure it to its value ? ...

BUT one thing really really bothers me , cameras and lenses in general are normally far cheaper stateside so why would someone over there want to buy Used from the u.k ... if it smells like b******t it normally is ..

Plus have you checked how much MPB would offer .no hassle might be a bit less but no worries ... and honestly this post has all the alarm bells ringing

Yea, I'm not ever selling top MPB i'd lose too much money,

I mean I wouldn't let them scam me, but I did wonder that the stock might not be there - but actually just checked B&H photo $4,995 in-stock new - which after conversion is a pretty good price vs GBP.

So in all likelihood this person might not be genuine

Last edited:
Don’t do it.

it's ok :) I won't!

Actually - within the first day of having it on ebay it sold.. with a follow up e-mail.. YEA right.

Hi! I'm sorry, I bought the goods as a for my daughter, but forgot to change the delivery address. Can you send it to my daughter? I wrote the address next in this message.
And one more request. ‘Cos it's a gift, please don’t send an invoice. Delivery via Royal Mail please! thank you!
There is right address, sorry for my mistake:
<Address Removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
it's ok :) I won't!

Actually - within the first day of having it on ebay it sold.. with a follow up e-mail.. YEA right.

Hi! I'm sorry, I bought the goods as a for my daughter, but forgot to change the delivery address. Can you send it to my daughter? I wrote the address next in this message.
And one more request. ‘Cos it's a gift, please don’t send an invoice. Delivery via Royal Mail please! thank you!
There is right address, sorry for my mistake:
<Address Removed>
You should also send all your lenses for free, seems a really trustworthy buyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a guy contact me on ebay for a camera i'm selling, asking what the best price was, so I, cheekily, gave him a price quite a bit over the price for the same on MBP. I noticed he was in the US, he came back and said that he'd pay that, plus £30 postage (quite a bit over the price to post). At that point I went back to him and said that someone had offered even more, he immediately came back and offered £450 plus £30 postage (for a camera that is worth just over £300), it was then that I asked him where he was, to which he answered the US, but wanted the camera posted to Nigeria - he refused to bank transfer saying he'd only PayPal - needless to say the camera is still on eBay, i'm not falling for that old PayPal scam.

Losing the track here ,one minute it’s a camera now a lens . Right what camera are you actually selling mate .. and what are you on about with mpb . They give you a quote ,if accepted they pick it up .pay you a few days later ,no hassle ,no postage ,no selling fees .
Unless you can find a seller to wave pound notes in your face it’s the safest option

Losing the track here ,one minute it’s a camera now a lens . Right what camera are you actually selling mate .. and what are you on about with mpb . They give you a quote ,if accepted they pick it up .pay you a few days later ,no hassle ,no postage ,no selling fees .
Unless you can find a seller to wave pound notes in your face it’s the safest option

Leica Q2 it’s a £4500 camera new but I’m selling with extra batteries and stuff, it was only released in March this year

MPB do not give me prices I would ever consider, I’d rather do the leg work myself then give them a huge chunk of the pie

when I sold my second Leica Q I delivered it by hand, same with a hasselblad x1d

that would be my preference to be fair

Leica Q2 it’s a £4500 camera new but I’m selling with extra batteries and stuff, it was only released in March this year

MPB do not give me prices I would ever consider, I’d rather do the leg work myself then give them a huge chunk of the pie

when I sold my second Leica Q I delivered it by hand, same with a hasselblad x1d

that would be my preference to be fair
You seem to know what you’re doing but the hand delivery thing is risky for a high value item — I assume that would be cash too?

You seem to know what you’re doing but the hand delivery thing is risky for a high value item — I assume that would be cash too?

Hasselblad was bank transfer whilst at a Starbucks in london

the Leica I received payment well in advance and then met at service station

I usually end up having the conversations with them that enthusiasts of Leica and hasselblad would.. so was happy with the deals.

sold Leica sl and m10 and whole heap of lenses through eBay £1 final fee mostly.. all been fine, touch wood

Gone a bit upmarket since I bought a 5d mkii off you five or more years ago.
Only wish I had four and a half ground going spare for the Q2

Only time I exchanged a camera for cash it was done in a bank with the money paid straight in over the counter
Lots of dodgy fifties about, even dud building society cheques which used to be good as cash

Gone a bit upmarket since I bought a 5d mkii off you five or more years ago.
Only wish I had four and a half ground going spare for the Q2

Just Prior to that, my first camera was a Sony a580 and at that time I never thought I’d spend so much on a camera as the 5d Mark ii.

Things have escalated since.. I blame twist I’m sure he introduced me to zeiss probably even Leica

I changed careers and have been full time professional photographer for last two years. So building up the kit has worked out

Last edited:
Hi Dan - just tried to look at what I think is your website if you are in Sheffield; the pages would not load.Thought you should know if it is a source of business for you. I tried to PM but it wouldn't accept your one word name in the conversation tab.

Hi Dan - just tried to look at what I think is your website if you are in Sheffield; the pages would not load.Thought you should know if it is a source of business for you. I tried to PM but it wouldn't accept your one word name in the conversation tab.

no no this is my half finished website

https://danielcook.com/

the school section is pretty filled out, I've got some more recent weddings to add to it and should do that really.....

Last edited:
I don't get the issue in sending it to New York, if you're selling via Facebook, just ask for it as a bank transfer? You wont get scammed then

I don't get the issue in sending it to New York, if you're selling via Facebook, just ask for it as a bank transfer? You wont get scammed then

Yes it would have had to be a bank transfer, by that point i expect the buyer would have bailed.

He's gone silent now I mentioned about flying over :D

The thread was me checking I had it right, sending it meant about £250 insured plus import taxes. Which just made it very steep in general

Honestly? If it’s too good to be true and all that. Why would anyone pay £4,500 for a second hand item they can buy new locally for less.

Bank transfer can still be scammed...often a scammer will send a fake receipt or a reciept confirming a scheduled transfer and it is possible to reverse a transfer

For when you're not being suckered into a scam, get quotes for international shipping from Parcel2Go and other parcel brokers. Always double check weights and dimensions and never under-declare. Import duties and taxes are buyers problem, but if you declare contents for £ 100 and insure it for £ 10000 that will trigger warnings.

Honestly? If it’s too good to be true and all that. Why would anyone pay £4,500 for a second hand item they can buy new locally for less.

Bank transfer can still be scammed...often a scammer will send a fake receipt or a reciept confirming a scheduled transfer and it is possible to reverse a transfer

Yes, Honestly.

If you're sending a package before you have the money in your account then you desereve to be scammed IMHO.
You cant reverse a bank transfer, you can request it is but if the beneficiary account says no then there is sod all you can do to reverse it.

Yes, Honestly.

If you're sending a package before you have the money in your account then you desereve to be scammed IMHO.
You cant reverse a bank transfer, you can request it is but if the beneficiary account says no then there is sod all you can do to reverse it.

If you think that then you deserve to lose money, but why advise a forum member it’s ok with an obvious scam?

If you think that then you deserve to lose money, but why advise a forum member it’s ok with an obvious scam?

How would they lose money if they took payment as a bank transfer and sent it when the money was in their account?

I explained once.

assuming there were no other alarm bells - I would only accept a bank transfer, and only send when the amount transaction is show in my account and the available balance reflects this.

But you're saying that can be reversed?

As far as i'm aware a bank transfer can't be reversed as it is a transaction initiated by the sending account holder.

I explained once.

You haven't explained anything? You've said that someone could send a fake receipt, which has nothing to do with waiting until the money is in the account.. And then made a false statement about bank transfers being able to be reversed.

assuming there were no other alarm bells - I would only accept a bank transfer, and only send when the amount transaction is show in my account and the available balance reflects this.

But you're saying that can be reversed?

I'm glad you understood what I meant :).

They cant be reversed.

Back