Print Exchange 2 Reveal Thread

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Now that a good many prints have been sent and received its time for the reveal thread.
Senders and/or recipients please post your thoughts or not as the mood takes you.
It was never intended to be run on a strictly anonymous basis, but please treat that aspect as you wish.

Will start with the print I received, this low res scan does not in any way show it at its best

Really pleased with this fine print, tones are very rich and brings to mind scenes from French films of the fifties.
Now mounted, framed and hung fittingly next to an existing print of an original Paris "Metropolitan" sign
Uncanny that it is so similar to the print I sent for Print Exchange 1 and which to my knowledge was never shown anywhere.
Thank you to my sender, this print is much appreciated (wife likes it too which is always helpful when hanging prints)

Image0003.2.jpg

I can't remember which we reveal. so I'll do both and start with the prints I sent.

I sent two prints and chose not to include any background text - I'm a poor writer and the page of text that I wrote was pure waffle, so chose not to include it haha

I've only recently started printing my own images and in the excitement of this round of the print swap I bought a box of Fotospeed Platinum Baryta and a box of Smooth Cotton. So I decided to make a print on each, the black and white on the Baryta an the colour on the smooth cotton.

The tree is near to me and is well photographed by the locals. It was taken earlier this year while I was training for a ultra walking event.

The colour sky image was a sunset taken through my living room window earlier this year.

1.jpg2.jpg

So i received this print earlier in the week and am very happy with it (also importantly so is the wife, she loves horses). I really like the fine detail in the hair, the flowing forelock and mane. I like to see working horses working. The black & white print works well too, i can imagine that there may be some distracting colours in the colour version. So overall i'm very happy to have received this.
P.S. To the sender
Yes you are correct, i do live/work on a country estate (in the back end of nowhere). So this fits in with my life style.

untitled.jpg

By coincidence, I was the recipient of the first and the sender of the second!

I can't remember which we reveal. so I'll do both and start with the prints I sent.

I sent two prints and chose not to include any background text - I'm a poor writer and the page of text that I wrote was pure waffle, so chose not to include it haha

Thank you for the two very different prints, Ben. I particularly like the tree image and its contrasty tones, with the flowers under the tree popping out of the shade. It is always interesting to see different papers and the smooth cotton seems to show off the warm tones of the sunset particularly well. Thank you!

So i received this print earlier in the week and am very happy with it (also importantly so is the wife, she loves horses). I really like the fine detail in the hair, the flowing forelock and mane. I like to see working horses working. The black & white print works well too, i can imagine that there may be some distracting colours in the colour version. So overall i'm very happy to have received this.
P.S. To the sender
Yes you are correct, i do live/work on a country estate (in the back end of nowhere). So this fits in with my life style.

View attachment 330167

I am so glad it was well-received :) I agree, it is great to see horses working like this and they are a well known local pair. They are chestnuts with blond manes and they are very pretty, but the scene and the textures seemed to suit mono tones surprisingly well. It was selected for an exhibition by our club and purchased last month so I am pleased I tried the mono conversion. Thank you :)

Last edited:
This thread isn't as popular as i thought it might be. So to help inject a little bit more life into it, i'll post the photo i sent.

Now, i only really post photos in two sections of this forum and they are The 52 thread and the Creative forum. So anyone that has seen any of my images before can probably guess the sort of photo i sent out.
For me and my photography, it mainly about making an image from an idea that's popped into my mind. It's about finding the props, putting them together, setting the lighting, trying to convey my thoughts into a digital or printed medium.
I like to create simple, uncluttered images, colour or black & white. This image falls into that category, I wouldn't call it minimalist, but more a photo with quite a large amount of negative space and some simple lighting to give it a bit of depth and texture.
Anyway enough waffling.

untitled-6-2.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

P.S. To the sender

View attachment 330167
^ ^ ^ That's a lovely picture!
I am so glad it was well-received :) I agree, it is great to see horses working like this and they are a well known local pair. They are chestnuts with blond manes and they are very pretty, but the scene and the textures seemed to suit mono tones surprisingly well. It was selected for an exhibition by our club and purchased last month so I am pleased I tried the mono conversion. Thank you :)
.... They look like a French breed of Heavy Horse called 'Comtois'. Like most Heavy Horses they have a lovely temperament. A good friend of mine has one :

BLONDE vs BLONDE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

This is the print I sent, its of an oil rig the Brent Alpha that has been towed to land for scrapping.
It was sited for 40 years in the Brent field which is in the North Sea between the Shetlands and Norway.
Came across it whilst driving in Teesside and was so surreal to all of a sudden see this gigantic structure.
Not the greatest photo ever, but decided on it as my print mainly because the subject will soon no longer exist, may not now.
It came out rather nicely, colours were vibrant and had some nice fine detail in the original, not so much on this heavily compressed jpeg.

P8230046-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME 1.jpg

Last edited:
This was wot I sent.

Taken at the Astle Park steam rally this year I was really quite pleased with how it came out and how it printed. Not usually a fan of classic cars, but the PoV, and the balance of the flag & the hat bloke seemed to all come together. The minor irritation is that I put the wrong amount of developer in and ended up trying to "rescue" with a compensating developer which has resulted in a very faint "line" down the image where 5/8 of the image got about 2 minutes more in the soup. It adds to the imperfection though and proves that "old don't mean perfect" applies to the photographer as well as the subject.

2021-08-14-washiS-645n-14.jpg

This is what I sent out

Taken in Dinorwic Quarry in Snowdonia, thios is at the top of one of the inclines, approx 1300ft above Llyn Padarn, A grey day but quite bright, but the heather was in full bloom, and the light made a real contrast between slate, heather and rust.

210823 At The Top Of The Incline - Dinorwic by David Yeoman, on Flickr

This is the image I sent to 'ecoleman'. I think it printed better than it looks on screen.
I definitely looks better in print. I love it and will be framing it to put in my new office/studio. The print is actually sat next to my scanner at the moment as I've been meaning to scan it to post here but as usual the daily grind gets the better of my time.

I sent this image to @gjhill. Taken in the hills near Ystradfellte. (Although the print was a slightly different crop so as to fit the page, and without the frame and watermark or course)

Ystradfellte Loan Tree by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

I definitely looks better in print. I love it and will be framing it to put in my new office/studio. The print is actually sat next to my scanner at the moment as I've been meaning to scan it to post here but as usual the daily grind gets the better of my time.

I sent this image to @gjhill. Taken in the hills near Ystradfellte. (Although the print was a slightly different crop so as to fit the page, and without the frame and watermark or course)

Ystradfellte Loan Tree by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr
Thank you Elliott. I am going to post the version that I changed and if you would like a copy of that one I am happy to send you one. I won't be offended if you say no.

Your skills obviously go way beyond the minimalistish :cool:

Another beautiful image.

This is the print I sent, its of an oil rig the Brent Alpha that has been towed to land for scrapping.
It was sited for 40 years in the Brent field which is in the North Sea between the Shetlands and Norway.
Came across it whilst driving in Teesside and was so surreal to all of a sudden see this gigantic structure.
Not the greatest photo ever, but decided on it as my print mainly because the subject will soon no longer exist, may not now.
It came out rather nicely, colours were vibrant and had some nice fine detail in the original, not so much on this heavily compressed jpeg.

View attachment 332127
This was the print I received, in a way viewing it on screen doesn't do it justice. The crop is different on the print with less foreground. I found the textures and colours really pulled me into the image and it made me spend more time with the image than I normally would.

^ ^ ^ That's a lovely picture!

.... They look like a French breed of Heavy Horse called 'Comtois'. Like most Heavy Horses they have a lovely temperament. A good friend of mine has one :

BLONDE vs BLONDE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Thank you, Robin! You are right, they are Comtois and a very popular sight at the local shows.

I love your photo of the matching 'manes' and tails - well seen! :)

This is what I sent out

Taken in Dinorwic Quarry in Snowdonia, thios is at the top of one of the inclines, approx 1300ft above Llyn Padarn, A grey day but quite bright, but the heather was in full bloom, and the light made a real contrast between slate, heather and rust.

210823 At The Top Of The Incline - Dinorwic by David Yeoman, on Flickr

I was the lucky recipient of this print. It has some lovely tones and I really liked the sprinkling of colourful heather bursting with life set against the decaying mine structures and the grey of the slate. The diagonals work well too and there are lots of little points of interest like the bolts and rivets to make it an image that you can look at for a while. Thanks

This was the image I printed. One of my favourite places and one I have been quite lucky with in terms of conditions. It is an image that did quite well for me in my camera club and I really like the ghostly trees in the background. Not sure if they are still there now.
Loch Rusky by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
I was lucky enough to receive this and I’ve been hoping you’d post it so I could comment! My partner and I absolutely love it, and it’s a treat because it’s so different to my normal subject - wildlife. Many thanks for the beautiful print!

I was lucky enough to receive this and I’ve been hoping you’d post it so I could comment! My partner and I absolutely love it, and it’s a treat because it’s so different to my normal subject - wildlife. Many thanks for the beautiful print!
Thanks for your kind words

This was the image I shared; I was pleased with how these turned out and they were well received by my friends and family so I thought I’d share this one.

Common Blue Butterfly by Luke Case, on Flickr
And I was the recipient. This went straight on the wall, because as you said - it's so very different from my normal work.
Fantastic image.

Back