Printing issues from a different Lightroom catalog

Edit My Images
No
I've been printing photos through Lightroom CC making calendars on my Canon Pro 1 using double sided matt paper and managing the colour with icc profiles. All has gone well for 30+ prints until today when I tried to print some photos from a different older Lightroom catalog ( for photos from 2014 and earlier - I had to upgrade it to the current CC version first). The photos came out faded, completely lacking in saturation and contrast.

1. I'm on a Mac so double profiling is not possible.
2. I did a nozzle check - all fine
3. At first I was printing from a Tif file. Not knowing if colour space could be an issue, I exported it as a jpeg ensuring it was sRGB and printed again - same faded result.
4. I noticed it was 8 bit instead of 16 and 360ppi instead of 300ppi as I had been successfully doing from my other catalog. Reprinted with these settings - still faded.
5. Tried printing a different photo ( a raw fie) from this same older catalog with same icc profile, same 16 bit, 300ppi and paper as had been successful on the newer catalog - also faded.
6. Imported the jpegs into my first more recent catalog and reprinted - they were fine. Two of the ink cartridges were reading low ink, but this success made me think this was not the culprit.

So, can anyone tell me what I am missing? I can get round the issue, but I'd like to understand why they are always faded from the older catalog. Some other setting??

I'm wondering if it's somehow not finding the icc profile. I didn't try restarting Lightroom with the older catalog.

Just a thought?

Could it be a "process version" question....I recall when I opened older images that were processed under an earlier Process Version LR popped up with a dialogue box asking if I wished to open(?) it with the newer version.

Again as I recall, saying yes did show an improved image.

With the advent of CC.......I have no idea what has 'been going on'.

Just a thought?

Could it be a "process version" question....I recall when I opened older images that were processed under an earlier Process Version LR popped up with a dialogue box asking if I wished to open(?) it with the newer version.

Hmm good call. I will have a look tomorrow.

I'm using the classic version of Lightroom - sorry that might have been misleading when I said CC... I'm starting to fall behind on what's going on too as I never use mobile or the CC part.

Just a thought?

Normally I don't get asked about this - the oldies stay at v1 or v2 by default and look the same. Auto conversion typically yields disappointing results but after some quick tweaking they soon look better than ever.

P.S. I always do all printing from Photoshop. I just do, don't ask me why and it works.

This is the first time I have hit a problem with Lightroom @LongLensPhotography. I haven't had time to investigate too much further, but I can't find any version numbers in the catalog settings. Can you tell me where I would check them please?

The process version is ticked and greyed out if I attempt to create a preset or copy settings in this 'problem' catalog. I can't remember seeing process version anywhere else... and this is the first time I have noticed it greyed out, so perhaps that is indicative of a problem.

This is the first time I have hit a problem with Lightroom @LongLensPhotography. I haven't had time to investigate too much further, but I can't find any version numbers in the catalog settings. Can you tell me where I would check them please?

The process version is ticked and greyed out if I attempt to create a preset or copy settings in this 'problem' catalog. I can't remember seeing process version anywhere else... and this is the first time I have noticed it greyed out, so perhaps that is indicative of a problem.

That's strange. Version numbers are normally given in the calibration section on the right side very bottom. If it is an older one there is normally something displayed just below the histogram; up to date images don't have anything there.

Just in case the cat upgrade has gone badly, you should still have the old cat file intact. You may try converting that again as a last resort. Don't delete it until you are happy with end result. Always try to have a recent backup of the catalog, and also make sure to save settings automatically to XMP files in addition to that (see settings).

Ah thank you for that @LongLensPhotography. When I look at the 'problem' catalog and the particular image I had trouble with, it is on version 5, the same as my most recent catalog. Other images within the old catalog that I haven't recently changed are on version 3.

I might try and let the printer manage colour and see if that makes a difference... then I'd know it was to do with icc profiles and not Lightroom.

I could update the catalog again.... I've deleted loads of rubbish photos today :rolleyes: I suppose they'll just show up as missing and I can remove them.

Back