Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
No post for me today. I think the postie is allergic to rain.

I'm a bit like a kid in a candy shop at the minute with the post.
@richardhall @gjhill @Harlequin565 @MrDrizz really excellent work and great ideas. :clap::clap:

Sent mine off today and I have really enjoyed doing this. Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I made some silly mistakes but
it pleased to finally done one. Im certianly up for the next one and personally would prefer doing it twice a year.

I was thinking of doing a video for my crappy Youtube channel about Zine's.
Would you guys be ok with your zine appearing? Of course your person details will remain anonymous and any pictures of you will not appear on screen.

Would you guys be ok with your zine appearing? Of course your person details will remain anonymous and any pictures of you will not appear on screen.
So long as you don't ridicule mine I'm happy to go with that!

That's a yes from me. (That's a video I'd be glad to see!)

Fine by me :)

No problem

Fine with that.

Update on mine, awaiting envelopes (I did have some but put them in a safe place, so safe I have no idea where they are)
I received a red card from Royal Mail today which I assume is them so will collect from the post office tomorrow and try and get them in the post.

Received 4 today @MrDrizz @gjhill @Harlequin565 @richardhall have had a quick look through all very inspiring for different reasons.

looking forward to the other zines.

Ok here too

Fine by me, when it eventually gets here.

My envelopes have arrived, but Mixam haven’t printed the zines yet even though I sent the pdf at weekend. I can only assume they’re still overwhelmed at the levels of mediocrity and amateurism in its creation and are deferring production as a favour to me and by extension everyone else.

Thanks to everyone who has sent their zines, I’ve still to open them as I’ve been incredibly busy this week so will carve out some time tonight or this weekend for a browse.

My envelopes have arrived, but Mixam haven’t printed the zines yet even though I sent the pdf at weekend. I can only assume they’re still overwhelmed at the levels of mediocrity and amateurism in its creation and are deferring production as a favour to me and by extension everyone else.
More likely their presses have gone one strike refusing to print my zine!

3 arrived today! (Edit to add: From @gjhill @MrDrizz and @tijuana taxi )

I will take a leaf out of Colin's book and open them tonight with a glass of red.

I do wonder whether that nice feeling of getting post that's not a bill or a letter from a medical service is one of the main reasons for doing this!

Last edited:
Fine by me, when I get it sent :)

Something of a mystery one arrived this morning, good job there was a return address on the label :)

One more arrived today (y) and an e-mail from Mixam. Looks like my masterwork is getting closer to despatch. Just waiting for one more 'component' to arrive on Monday - all being well.

My wife has just been through all the zines that have arrived. She had positive comments to say about every single one.

Except mine...

:confused:

My thoughts... If you didn't ask, no need to click on the spoiler :) I quite like to try and put into words what I thought - it helps me with my own photography! Not sure I'll do all of them, depends how spread out they arrive.

I've had a rough couple of weeks, so have been blown away by them all so far.

From @richardhall
I loved it! The tabloid was a really original idea, and very well executed. I really like text with words, and having this tiny window not only into someone's vision but into their thinking helps me with my own photography when I can identify with the text. "From Russia With Love" also made me smile. The closest I've got to Lomo photography is with my Sprocket Rocket and I have a love-hate relationship with it. The images inside were very much "Lomo", but I liked the idea that "the heat & dust of the day" is more clearly represented with an imperfect photo. Having done a project on Wabi Sabi a few years ago, this really felt like home.

Would appreciate a headsup on how you did the tabloid (and with whom!) the layout felt very professional to me and must have taken some messing about to get it all snugly positioned. Very much a design thing over the photography thing. An excellent finished article IMO.

My wife says you need an editor for your "its" :) She's a pedant. Don't mind her.

From @tijuana taxi
Bacon!!!
I loved this one too (you can sense a theme here!) mainly because I learned something! Every day can be a schoolday. I love the inventiveness and simple design that just gives over the pages to the content. I was mildly disappointed at the lack of fire, but the final page just made me want bacon. I love bacon. The front cover was awesome and the title definitely had me making a "wtf?" face. But the revelation as each page was turned kept me wanting more.

A very cohesive themed zine and far tighter than my mess. If this was your first go, I hope you're chuffed!

My wife picked it up backwards and stared at the back page with an equally amusing "wtf?" face. However if you see it after reading, it makes complete sense.
Nailed the front cover.

From @MrDrizz
The cover on this is awesome. I've never considered a shiny cover but would appreciate a headsup as to what you chose because it just looks really professional. My wife & I both spent quite a bit of time in Liverpool so this was a nostalgic journey. The paper quality and the colour out of the images are top drawer. The images themselves are beautifully composed. As to putting words with pictures. I once heard that if you are describing the image with your words, then you're robbing the viewer the chance to figure it out. But I sometimes think other words have a place (as Richard proved) and the tiny bit of text at the beginning and end of the zine are much appreciated.

The zine had a soft spot for my wife. Her words "why can't you do something like this?" :sigh:

From @gjhill
Hand made and hand printed. Wow. Sir - I admire your tenacity!

I really appreciated the work that had gone into this. The content is right up my street, and I think that you've nailed woodland photography. Not just the composition, but the atmosphere too. I have a big thing for knots in tree trunks and this has given me confidence to go and do it myself. Way too many ideas for me to pinch magpie off here. The reflection image on p14 is really nice and makes the reader pause a second to figure out what's going on as it appears upside down. Colour is important in some of the images too, with the tree on p18 almost monochromatic, yet showing a hint of colour. Love it.

My wife also loved it. She said it's the sort of thing I could do. With the exception of the last image. "Ew.. A dog's a**e!" She's not a dog person. I quite liked it as an "ending" to the zine (if that was the intent)

Thankyou guys.

Having seen the five creations the that arrived this week I'm now even less certain that mine is a fair swap. :LOL:

Especially as my 'interactive' ideas have both bitten the dust now. One went west early on as it was too complicated for my publishing skills. The other was just plain crap when I came to try it out the other day. :(

I might have to throw in some Haribo like Doxdirect do when you order off them!

@Harlequin565 .
It was intentional ,the original plan was to have a booklet of images with that as the last one
A homage to a photographer, whose name escapes me at the moment , showing 2 children walking away from the camera on a woodland path

@Harlequin565 Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the kind words.
I thought the content was ok, but would have liked the presentation to have been a bit more polished.
Onwards and upwards, looking forward to seeing all the others.

Back