Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
A few thoughts on the six Zines received so far Im sure you know who you are. Looking forward to the rest now.

Smoking
Nice Cover, I know nothing about smoking meat, I found it informative and interesting.
A set of pictures which tell a story is very difficult thing to put together but you have succeeded and have broken down the process of smoking meat to a simple to follow guide, the inclusion of the bacon and fried egg and the smoke alarm picture on the back page are a nice touch.

Lockdown 3
A nice set of pictures which really do convey a mood they are quite bleak in a way as can be expected but make excellent use of light and reflections to make your point and of course the back page absolutely perfect.

Locked Down
Another lockdown series but couldn’t be more different from the one above, I love the use and the placement of different type in this, it kind of goes back to the early punk zines of the 70’s/80’s
the placing of the word “raven” was particularly eye-catching.
I also like that its not one subject but a mish mash of things that do actually work together.

The Tourist
Liverpool I’m quite familiar with, I was born in Wallasey and worked for 18 years in the
“Empire/Playhouse” theatres sad to say though not been to the city centre for a few years now,
I still visit the outskirts as both my children live there.
It brings back a lot of memories, an excellent set of pictures, and a very well produced zine.
You have inspired me to go back soon with a camera.

Dave the dog
I think this is the essence of zine printing, totally self produced, you have put a lot into this and I admire that. It’s also something I can relate to as I took the pictures in my zine while out walking the dog’s.
A really good set of woodland pictures. I do like a tree or two. The dogs back end was quite amusing too.

The Salop Observer
This is a great idea, and a very original idea would never have thought of it, I mean where on earth do you get a newspaper printed.
Your use of old film cameras and the explanation of why was a nice touch. The postcards and the supplement were another added bonus, again a lot of work has gone into this.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, I'll play... Spoilers!

The first zine I opened, and a great start to the swap by @gjhill Beautifully printed photos in a home-made booklet. Some lovely images, but it's the final pic that takes the biscuit

Loved this pictorial introduction to Liverpool. It's not a city I know very well, but this zine has me itching to follow in the footsteps of @MrDrizz , camera in hand.

When I opened the envelope and saw the cover, I wasn't sure what to expect. There are no words other than an opening quote from George Bernard Shaw, but the photos of @Allan.H spoke for themselves. This is an example of a zine where the total is greater than the sum of its parts - the individual photos are good, but as a collection are great.

@Harlequin565 has taken us with him through the lockdown on a journey that put me in mind of The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone, the mundane hinting at macabre mysteries. Much thought has obviously gone into the choice of images and their accompanying words. The layout is simple but effective, matched with typography I can only describe as "nailed". (Note to self: pay more attention to typography)

Here's a zine which I found strangely compelling despite the content. I've been a vegetarian for almost 40 years, so I might have expected this diy guide to bacon-making from @tijuana taxi to have no interest. I would have been wrong. We go on a journey from pork belly to breakfast plate, wrapped with humour. I'm almost tempted to give it a try.

Despite the often cheerful colours of his pictures, @yamahatdm900 powerfully evokes the bleak spirit of the lockdown that began 2021. I found this a genuinely moving collection - if I needed a reminder of photography's power to stir the emotions, this would be it.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Just received mine back from Mixam and sent them out.

My first zine and I've learnt a lot about layout, production and paper choice from it and I've been helped by of all the advice from everyone on here. There's certainly a few things I'll spec. differently next time.

Already thinking up ideas though and looking forward to it.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Is there any reason why I only get intermittent alerts about this thread? I have it watched, but I only get the occasional notification that something has been posted. When I open the thread there can be pages of new responses I had no idea about! I don't seem to have similar problems with other watched threads.
Our new overlord @sirch should soon have the power to solve problems like that. :LOL:

OP
Harlequin565
Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
I'm getting the same. Not just on this thread though, the recent (popular) threads about the forum closure/not closure only gave me one alert to then discover lots of posts. I think it's just a nuance of the forum.

I also think that if you ignore the alert, it doesn't re-alert you but I might be wrong on that. We probably need to ask a mod... Wait... we know one now!

sirch

Official Forum Numpty 2015,FPOTY 2020
Name
Lu-Tze (or Chris)
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there any reason why I only get intermittent alerts about this thread? I have it watched, but I only get the occasional notification that something has been posted. When I open the thread there can be pages of new responses I had no idea about! I don't seem to have similar problems with other watched threads.
I've had the same with other threads.

Supposedly you only get one notification however many new posts there are until you visit the thread and then it resets and you will get another notification so if you miss a notification but there are loads of posts you won't get another notification. I regularly, i.e. every day, go to New Posts and "mark forums read" which seems to help but still isn't perfect.

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Should have mine early next week to send out, all being well.

How long do Mixam take to respond to messages?

There's a glitch on my proof that's not on my original file so I'm a bit nervous to press go.

Edit: they responded at midnight!

Mine is now finally off for printing.

Last edited:
Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Four more for me today too. :)

The Industrial Tourist
Opening
Little in the Way of Sunshine
Into the Gardens

Another 4 arrived today.

The Industrial Tourist
Opening
Remnants
Into the Gardens
I'm surprised mine arrived so soon. It was sent 2nd class yesterday lunchtime. Not that this is a bad thing!

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking forward to the post coming today then if there's a few more due. I posted mine (Into the Gardens) 2nd class yesterday lunchtime too, so it's great it's arrived so soon.

sirch

Official Forum Numpty 2015,FPOTY 2020
Name
Lu-Tze (or Chris)
Edit My Images
Yes
OP
Harlequin565
Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
4 more for me too. Andy, Chris, Peter and Nige.

Will comment on them in a bit more detail later, but a brief flick through shows them to all be outstanding.

Very surprised you had the patience to stitch all those spines Chris. And mine looks like it was done by a pro. Awesome work.