Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
A few thoughts on the six Zines received so far Im sure you know who you are. Looking forward to the rest now.

Smoking
Nice Cover, I know nothing about smoking meat, I found it informative and interesting.
A set of pictures which tell a story is very difficult thing to put together but you have succeeded and have broken down the process of smoking meat to a simple to follow guide, the inclusion of the bacon and fried egg and the smoke alarm picture on the back page are a nice touch.

Lockdown 3
A nice set of pictures which really do convey a mood they are quite bleak in a way as can be expected but make excellent use of light and reflections to make your point and of course the back page absolutely perfect.

Locked Down
Another lockdown series but couldn’t be more different from the one above, I love the use and the placement of different type in this, it kind of goes back to the early punk zines of the 70’s/80’s
the placing of the word “raven” was particularly eye-catching.
I also like that its not one subject but a mish mash of things that do actually work together.

The Tourist
Liverpool I’m quite familiar with, I was born in Wallasey and worked for 18 years in the
“Empire/Playhouse” theatres sad to say though not been to the city centre for a few years now,
I still visit the outskirts as both my children live there.
It brings back a lot of memories, an excellent set of pictures, and a very well produced zine.
You have inspired me to go back soon with a camera.

Dave the dog
I think this is the essence of zine printing, totally self produced, you have put a lot into this and I admire that. It’s also something I can relate to as I took the pictures in my zine while out walking the dog’s.
A really good set of woodland pictures. I do like a tree or two. The dogs back end was quite amusing too.

The Salop Observer
This is a great idea, and a very original idea would never have thought of it, I mean where on earth do you get a newspaper printed.
Your use of old film cameras and the explanation of why was a nice touch. The postcards and the supplement were another added bonus, again a lot of work has gone into this.

Ok, I'll play... Spoilers!

The first zine I opened, and a great start to the swap by @gjhill Beautifully printed photos in a home-made booklet. Some lovely images, but it's the final pic that takes the biscuit

Loved this pictorial introduction to Liverpool. It's not a city I know very well, but this zine has me itching to follow in the footsteps of @MrDrizz , camera in hand.

When I opened the envelope and saw the cover, I wasn't sure what to expect. There are no words other than an opening quote from George Bernard Shaw, but the photos of @Allan.H spoke for themselves. This is an example of a zine where the total is greater than the sum of its parts - the individual photos are good, but as a collection are great.

@Harlequin565 has taken us with him through the lockdown on a journey that put me in mind of The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone, the mundane hinting at macabre mysteries. Much thought has obviously gone into the choice of images and their accompanying words. The layout is simple but effective, matched with typography I can only describe as "nailed". (Note to self: pay more attention to typography)

Here's a zine which I found strangely compelling despite the content. I've been a vegetarian for almost 40 years, so I might have expected this diy guide to bacon-making from @tijuana taxi to have no interest. I would have been wrong. We go on a journey from pork belly to breakfast plate, wrapped with humour. I'm almost tempted to give it a try.

Despite the often cheerful colours of his pictures, @yamahatdm900 powerfully evokes the bleak spirit of the lockdown that began 2021. I found this a genuinely moving collection - if I needed a reminder of photography's power to stir the emotions, this would be it.

Just received mine back from Mixam and sent them out.

My first zine and I've learnt a lot about layout, production and paper choice from it and I've been helped by of all the advice from everyone on here. There's certainly a few things I'll spec. differently next time.

Already thinking up ideas though and looking forward to it.

Is there any reason why I only get intermittent alerts about this thread? I have it watched, but I only get the occasional notification that something has been posted. When I open the thread there can be pages of new responses I had no idea about! I don't seem to have similar problems with other watched threads.
Our new overlord @sirch should soon have the power to solve problems like that. :LOL:

I'm getting the same. Not just on this thread though, the recent (popular) threads about the forum closure/not closure only gave me one alert to then discover lots of posts. I think it's just a nuance of the forum.

I also think that if you ignore the alert, it doesn't re-alert you but I might be wrong on that. We probably need to ask a mod... Wait... we know one now!

Is there any reason why I only get intermittent alerts about this thread? I have it watched, but I only get the occasional notification that something has been posted. When I open the thread there can be pages of new responses I had no idea about! I don't seem to have similar problems with other watched threads.

I've had the same with other threads.

Supposedly you only get one notification however many new posts there are until you visit the thread and then it resets and you will get another notification so if you miss a notification but there are loads of posts you won't get another notification. I regularly, i.e. every day, go to New Posts and "mark forums read" which seems to help but still isn't perfect.

Should have mine early next week to send out, all being well.

How long do Mixam take to respond to messages?

There's a glitch on my proof that's not on my original file so I'm a bit nervous to press go.

Edit: they responded at midnight!

Mine is now finally off for printing.

Last edited:
Another 4 arrived today.

The Industrial Tourist
Opening
Remnants
Into the Gardens

@sirch Did you have issues with Nixam and printing?

Four more for me today too. :)

The Industrial Tourist
Opening
Little in the Way of Sunshine
Into the Gardens

Another 4 arrived today.

The Industrial Tourist
Opening
Remnants
Into the Gardens

I'm surprised mine arrived so soon. It was sent 2nd class yesterday lunchtime. Not that this is a bad thing!

I'm looking forward to the post coming today then if there's a few more due. I posted mine (Into the Gardens) 2nd class yesterday lunchtime too, so it's great it's arrived so soon.

4 more for me too. Andy, Chris, Peter and Nige.

Will comment on them in a bit more detail later, but a brief flick through shows them to all be outstanding.

Very surprised you had the patience to stitch all those spines Chris. And mine looks like it was done by a pro. Awesome work.

Four presently doing their time in the quarantine area (cupboard in the porch)

Thoroughly enjoyed all those I have seen so far, a very diverse collection of zines.

Mine should go out today (with stamps....probably). Lessons learned this time:

1 - Pay more attention to paper choice, would have been better in a gloss I think
2 - Envelope is within limits for a letter, weight might not be, therefore next time use lighter paper :giggle:

You'll be emailing a pdf next, just to save on postage :ROFLMAO:

Oh you lucky people. My 'extras' have turned up unexpectedly early! And they look even better than I thought they would. They'll be in the post tomorrow. I might leave the zines out... :D

Righto...

from @viewfromthenorth
Really striking cover with that dramatic red. Grabs the attention from the off. Also, the postcards were a lovely touch. A few people have added them to their zines and I think it adds a nice personal thoughtful touch to the experience. I need to step up my game for next time clearly....

The zine itself was right up my street. I've been a fan of Andy's work on TP and this zine was a touch of class. The Ltd. edition numbering, the forward, the lettter and another nailed back cover!! Will this be a thing in future?

I loved the use of the double page to spread an image. This is something that others have also done and Peter nailed it with this too. Another reminder that whatever shape zine you choose (A5 landscape, portrait, or square...) This doesn't need to limit your image (aspect ratio) choice.

The all-colour zine just fits really nicely. I mean - it would be difficult to do a rust zine in B&W, but the colour palette here just transitions really nicely from one image to the next. Yet another 10/10 zine...

from @sirch
There is something to be said for home made zines/books and this was a real surprise and treat. It felt like it was a Mixam zine and wasn't until I saw this thread I realised it was hand made. Stitched too!!! I hand stitched a book ad it was a royal PITA so I can't imagine the patience Chris must have had to make this. Aaaanyway....

I love the story element to this. At first glance, the images appear under-exposed, but when one spends a few minutes looking at it, it's clear to see that this falls under the description of "low key". Bye bye black ink cart for sure! Such a simple zine but so effective in its premise. The front cover is lovely and matt printing of B&W is my new favourite thing, so to see it done in a zine like this was a proper treat.

The postcards were a nice treat too, and I really liked the bog roll one and the selfie-silhouette. Great stuff.

from @Cloudforest
I put ? after things I was assuming, so forgive me if I got it wrong :)
A debut(?) from Peter that was really lovely. I started a podcast back in 2020 called the Ordinary Photographer which was really trying to encourage photographers to not get caught up on the crap that YouTube tries to sell and to encourage photographers to just "do their thing". It's not a great effort, but seeing work like this inspires me to carry on with it. I love it when an amateur(?) photographer turns out a mini project that is cohesive and makes me smile. The effort that's not only gone into the images, but into the presentation too really humbles me when I think of what I've produced.

Simple, clean and colourful, these images just work together, and they're bound by a forward that really sets the tone. Love it.
My wife thought it was very pretty.... :)

from @FishyFish
The square zine brigade is out in force this time round, and this is another great front cover.

The content is very much up my street and I find I've been saying that quite a bit with the zines that have been produced this time round. I wonder if a "certain type of photographer" is drawn to this kind of project which is why I enjoy the work so much? The canal walks, and tree bark "studies" all very much appeal and remind me very much of @Boots bridge thread (which I must revisit).

Texture and tone is very much a feature here, and the square images coupled with the softcover and minimalistic style all work really well. More fab stuff...

Last edited:
Righto...

from @viewfromthenorth
Really striking cover with that dramatic red. Grabs the attention from the off. Also, the postcards were a lovely touch. A few people have added them to their zines and I think it adds a nice personal thoughtful touch to the experience. I need to step up my game for next time clearly....

The zine itself was right up my street. I've been a fan of Andy's work on TP and this zine was a touch of class. The Ltd. edition numbering, the forward, the lettter and another nailed back cover!! Will this be a thing in future?

I loved the use of the double page to spread an image. This is something that others have also done and Peter nailed it with this too. Another reminder that whatever shape zine you choose (A5 landscape, portrait, or square...) This doesn't need to limit your image (aspect ratio) choice.

The all-colour zine just fits really nicely. I mean - it would be difficult to do a rust zine in B&W, but the colour palette here just transitions really nicely from one image to the next. Yet another 10/10 zine...

from @sirch
There is something to be said for home made zines/books and this was a real surprise and treat. It felt like it was a Mixam zine and wasn't until I saw this thread I realised it was hand made. Stitched too!!! I hand stitched a book ad it was a royal PITA so I can't imagine the patience Chris must have had to make this. Aaaanyway....

I love the story element to this. At first glance, the images appear under-exposed, but when one spends a few minutes looking at it, it's clear to see that this falls under the description of "low key". Bye bye black ink cart for sure! Such a simple zine but so effective in its premise. The front cover is lovely and matt printing of B&W is my new favourite thing, so to see it done in a zine like this was a proper treat.

The postcards were a nice treat too, and I really liked the bog roll one and the selfie-silhouette. Great stuff.

from @Cloudforest
I put ? after things I was assuming, so forgive me if I got it wrong :)
A debut(?) from Peter that was really lovely. I started a podcast back in 2020 called the Ordinary Photographer which was really trying to encourage photographers to not get caught up on the crap that YouTube tries to sell and to encourage photographers to just "do their thing". It's not a great effort, but seeing work like this inspires me to carry on with it. I love it when an amateur(?) photographer turns out a mini project that is cohesive and makes me smile. The effort that's not only gone into the images, but into the presentation too really humbles me when I think of what I've produced.

Simple, clean and colourful, these images just work together, and they're bound by a forward that really sets the tone. Love it.
My wife thought it was very pretty.... :)

from @FishyFish
The square zine brigade is out in force this time round, and this is another great front cover.

The content is very much up my street and I find I've been saying that quite a bit with the zines that have been produced this time round. I wonder if a "certain type of photographer" is drawn to this kind of project which is why I enjoy the work so much? The canal walks, and tree bark "studies" all very much appeal and remind me very much of @Boots bridge thread (which I must revisit).

Texture and tone is very much a feature here, and the square images coupled with the softcover and minimalistic style all work really well. More fab stuff...

Thanks, glad you like the zine!

I’m still gathering my thoughts on all the zines so will do a similar summary / review when I’ve got the full set of zines to enjoy and reflect on.

I’m still gathering my thoughts on all the zines so will do a similar summary / review when I’ve got the full set of zines to enjoy and reflect on.
Same here
I have had a quick look at each one, will sit down and absorb in detail later

Best to do it while you're still on solid food. Certain participants can take up to 999 days to arrive :)

That's mine posted. Should be with you all next week.

Caused a hell of a delay in the Post Office. It was slow to start with inputting the postcodes and printing the labels - then the machine broke down. Why they wouldn't just stick stamps on them is a mystery and they didn't seem to know why either!

That's mine posted. Should be with you all next week.

Caused a hell of a delay in the Post Office. It was slow to start with inputting the postcodes and printing the labels - then the machine broke down. Why they wouldn't just stick stamps on them is a mystery and they didn't seem to know why either!

my post office just gave me stamps, in fact she took half and stuck the stamp on herself :)

Back