Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
All I can say is Wow!

Okay I know I may have pinched that from a song but it describes perfectly the 5 zines I've just opened and looked through. I'm going to enjoy looking at them in more detail later on. Thanks Mark, Rich, Ian, Gary and Richard, they are terrific.

What a diverse collection of ideas, styles and productions, all making me really glad that I took the plunge and decided to join and have a go.

Mine was originally supposed to be arriving on Monday but I've just had a look and it's still showing as in production. I'm happy for it to be included on your YouTube video @MrDrizz if you would like to use it when it appears.

I'm now looking forward to receiving the next batch.

Last edited:
@tijuana taxi
Man I feel hungry now. I had no idea what was involved in the process and just how long it takes.

On a side note, was a little surprised you didn't add your name, had to look at the return address to figure it out.

No biggy doesn't detract from a great zine. Top work sir .

@tijuana taxi
Man I feel hungry now. I had no idea what was involved in the process and just how long it takes.

On a side note, was a little surprised you didn't add your name, had to look at the return address to figure it out.

No biggy doesn't detract from a great zine. Top work sir .

Thanks very much Mark, glad you liked it (not nearly as much as I enjoyed that Bacon)

Knew I would omit something, just didn't occur to me so can't even say I forgot to include my name.
Noted for next time along with a few other things such as a foreword, first timer and it shows.

Right that's mine all packed and labelled ready for posting. As the trend is for a little bonus to be included, I've popped in a few 6x4 prints as I've got a big pile of these that I use when laying out exhibitions etc and I thought it would be a good way of getting shut of a load make a nice gift.

Right that's mine all packed and labelled ready for posting. As the trend is for a little bonus to be included, I've popped in a few 6x4 prints as I've got a big pile of these that I use when laying out exhibitions etc and I thought it would be a good way of getting shut of a load make a nice gift.

Gift?? You'll be lucky if there's a stamp on the envelope :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Can I make a suggestion for the next round.

It might be good idea in the long term for us all to pick a postage packaging that we can re-use. Once bought we should get several swaps out of them.

The one's with the rip cord thing to open seem the easiest to re-use.

Can I make a suggestion for the next round.

It might be good idea in the long term for us all to pick a postage packaging that we can re-use. Once bought we should get several swaps out of them.

The one's with the rip cord thing to open seem the easiest to re-use.

I noticed the smaller lighter A5 size only cost under a quid even with adding 10% tight arse prevention margin on.
The heavier Amazon style ones cost about £1.50 so in the long run it might just be cheaper to buy the lightweight ones
In fact even if the envelopes were reused it still might not be economical if that makes any sense
(have had a few beers now, so its probably clearer in my head than i've explained it on here)

I noticed the smaller lighter A5 size only cost under a quid even with adding 10% tight arse prevention margin on.
The heavier Amazon style ones cost about £1.50 so in the long run it might just be cheaper to buy the lightweight ones
In fact even if the envelopes were reused it still might not be economical if that makes any sense
(have had a few beers now, so its probably clearer in my head than i've explained it on here)
I've had a couple JD so makes perfect sense

My zines have arrived from Mixam. All looking good as expected. :D

The final piece of my puzzle is scheduled to arrive later so they should be posted tomorrow.

Opened up a few today and got another couple waiting in the wife's quarantine pound.

Well impressed, not only with the effort and content, but also the technology and the mastery (very limited in my case) of it.
Who could have imagined the man on the Clapham omnibus would be able to produce such fine publications just sat at home.
No winners and losers, I very much believe in the Olympian ideal of its the taking part that counts.

Definitely makes me want to get going again on the next one, just need to find a suitable topic.
Got a few ideas and definitely want (need) to learn more about the publishing software.

Lastly I would like to thank Ian for organising this fanzine extravaganza.
These things depend on someone making the extra effort to sort it all out, always easier said than done.

Last edited:
As has been said I am very impressed with everything I have received so far and looking forward to more. Expecting a parcel today which is hopefully some envelopes and if so mine will be in the post over the next few days.

Whilst we wait for this to complete, I've drafted up the post for Round IV.

It's pretty much the same as the OP. I've just added a few more FAQ's and I want to add a new photo with all the zines received for this swap:

Q: Can anyone take part?
A: The only requirement is that you are in the UK so that postage is under control for all participants.

Q: How many zines will I need / have to send?
A: Not sure. We'll monitor how many people show interest and we're mindful that sending 20-30 zines out will be expensive, so will be looking to try and limit the costs somehow should we get a lot of entrants. Rest assured that you can leave it until the last month before committing to the point of spending any money so you can make a decision then.

Q: What software do I need to make a zine?
A: Again - up to you. Many previous participants used Affinity Publisher as it has a relatively easy learning curve and is often available at a 50% discount. Photoshop will also do the job if you have the Adobe Photographer plan. Other programs are available though, so please ask in the thread if you're not sure.

Q: I have no clue what a zine looks like? Can I see some examples?
A: Andy did a flip through sample of one of his zines (will add link), and I'm fairly sure there will be some people happy to send you one of their previous efforts so you can see the sort of things we're doing. Again, just ask in-thread.

Note: @Ed Sutton did you also do a flip through online? If so, do you have a link? Will also add a link to @MrDrizz video when he does it

Is there anything else missing? I want to keep this as simple as possible, with as few rules as possible because I think creativity is what makes this so special. Stifling it with conditions is something I want to avoid.

It'll be the same format. Round IV will run until the end of October with zines to be posted out in November (avoiding December for Christmas and delays in getting stuff printed). Going forward, assuming willingness, I'm thinking of running them December - April (post in May) then June - October (post in November). Obviously there's no need to do 2 per year, and one could easily opt in to just one, or take a break.

Edit to change dates to avoid Christmas

Last edited:
Note: @Ed Sutton did you also do a flip through online? If so, do you have a link?

I've only just received my zines and will do a flip through but won't make it public until everyone's got their copy.

Also, if you can all wait a week or so for mine I have an idea for a little extra to include. Something in the 'easy and cheap to get made' spirit, but they'll take about a week to arrive here.

Whilst we wait for this to complete, I've drafted up the post for Round IV.

It's pretty much the same as the OP. I've just added a few more FAQ's and I want to add a new photo with all the zines received for this swap:

Q: Can anyone take part?
A: The only requirement is that you are in the UK so that postage is under control for all participants.

Q: How many zines will I need / have to send?
A: Not sure. We'll monitor how many people show interest and we're mindful that sending 20-30 zines out will be expensive, so will be looking to try and limit the costs somehow should we get a lot of entrants. Rest assured that you can leave it until the last month before committing to the point of spending any money so you can make a decision then.

Q: What software do I need to make a zine?
A: Again - up to you. Many previous participants used Affinity Publisher as it has a relatively easy learning curve and is often available at a 50% discount. Photoshop will also do the job if you have the Adobe Photographer plan. Other programs are available though, so please ask in the thread if you're not sure.

Q: I have no clue what a zine looks like? Can I see some examples?
A: Andy did a flip through sample of one of his zines (will add link), and I'm fairly sure there will be some people happy to send you one of their previous efforts so you can see the sort of things we're doing. Again, just ask in-thread.

Note: @Ed Sutton did you also do a flip through online? If so, do you have a link? Will also add a link to @MrDrizz video when he does it

Is there anything else missing? I want to keep this as simple as possible, with as few rules as possible because I think creativity is what makes this so special. Stifling it with conditions is something I want to avoid.

It'll be the same format. Round IV will run until the end of October with zines to be posted out in November (avoiding December for Christmas and delays in getting stuff printed). Going forward, assuming willingness, I'm thinking of running them December - April (post in May) then June - October (post in November). Obviously there's no need to do 2 per year, and one could easily opt in to just one, or take a break.

Edit to change dates to avoid Christmas
1. Maybe a question about what some can make a zine off.

2. Also are we set on the zine being mainly photographs? Might worth mentioning that the zine doesn't have to be of just photographs, can be drawing, scrapbook, poems.

3, Agreed A5 size, not hard and fast but it's the agreed size

2 more arrived today. One from Allan and another from Graham.

I really love photography. Just wish I was better at it. Having seen these two zines, I feel like a rank amateur.

From @Allan.H
Allan's zines are always a treat for me, and this one is no exception. I love this kind of social documentary/commentary photography as it just makes me look at the world a little differently. It's so so simple, and has just enough text to hammer home the message. The images are all beautifully constructed with care and attention.

The first image was a belter and even had a Silent Watcher ensuring no-one was breaking the clearly signed rules. My wife said "Tell the no ball games guy that I really liked that."

From @yamahatdm900
Another amazing debut(?) from Graham with images reminding me very much of Haas or Leiter. The colours have just come out really nicely and the balanced exposures are very well composed. I loved the way Graham has used hard shadows in his compositions. Very much a testament to Erwitt's quote that “All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice.”

The back cover image has edged out Richard's for "most amusing final image" IVHMO

Thought, as I have some free time today, that I'd put a few words together about the zines I've received so far. So, in no particular order;

Part 1

First up is “Little in the way of Sunshine”, take a bow Allan Howe, you got my attention immediately with the title, love it, and appreciate the double meaning within the images. Excellent documentary zine with great use of symmetry in many of the images.

“Locked Down”, Ian Turpin. I expected more than one zine on this theme for obvious reasons and feared a risk of repetitiveness given the restrictions on movement we all suffered; however, this offering has gone a long way to dispelling that fear. Great use of minimal text alongside the images, which themselves are divided over a number of themes which both stand alone and gel together. In my opinion this is @Harlequin565’s most mature zine so far

“The Tourist”, Mark Boadeys high gloss cover and bold titling shouts, “premium quality” and it doesn’t disappoint when you delve into the (many) pages within. Stick a map inside the back cover and you have a day trippers guide to Liverpool.

“Smoking”. Tijuana Taxis’ guide to bacon making is a different take to what this group has produced before, being an almost, “how to” guide with accompanying photographs. I’ve eaten a lot of bacon since opening this and I can only put that down to the success of the subliminal (or not so subliminal) auto-suggestion that has taken place.

Part 2

With Untitled by gjhimages, Gary has gone to the core of zine production with a completely homemade affair documenting his dog walking route. There’s a consistency throughout the images, despite the mix of black and white, toned and subtle colour printing employed, and a touch of humour with the exit image to close out. I particularly loved the rich toned images on pages 5 and 13.

Lockdown 3, Graham Norton (presumably not THE Graham Norton?) takes a completely different approach to that of the aforementioned “Lockdown” (Ian Turpin), with this zine being a full colour pictorial depiction of a town centre devoid of life when it should be buzzing. Some excellent images here, in particular I loved the almost abstract seat/table and the message on the back cover is I expect one we all subscribe to

Finally, for now at least, is Richard Halls “From Russia With Love”, a homage to Lomo photography. I must admit that I’m not too au fait with the Lomo range of cameras, in fact I know nothing about them other than they have a cult following amongst photographers. The photographs within this zine show why the cameras are a little bit marmite. I loved the Rwandan images and agree completely that they provide a visual interpretation of the conditions without being true to the reality. I must confess however to not having delved into the accompanying Salop Observer as of yet.

Last edited:
I've put all my zine bits together and in their envelopes, but I've also ordered my little 'extra' which means you'll all have to wait a bit longer for my swap. :D

I'm enjoying the ones that have arrived so far, the diversity is great, and the anticipation of more to come. I think having them arrive at random intervals is more fun than having a box of fourteen arrive in one drop.(y)

Last edited:
I think you flatter @Harlequin565 but thank you for the very kind words.
Of course it's entirely possible (like many others on this thread!) that you underestimate your own talent...

One or the other :)

3, Agreed A5 size, not hard and fast but it's the agreed size

The one you are about to receive from me is square ‘cos that’s how I roll. Actually it aligns with the series I’m doing and an A5 size didn’t really work. I’m already working on an A5 one for next time, it’ll be somewhat ‘low fidelity’ compared with the current one if I go ahead with it:)

Back