Project: Collective30 - Discussion

I think you have hit the nail on the head scraggz, this for most of us is our hobby. We get tied up in all the BS about technicallitys of why a shot is rubbish or could be better but at the end if the day we should take photos with a smile, if your not enjoying what your doing then why should your audience?

For today's shot the processing goes really well with the image and you should do more of a series with her as she pulls the look off as a model really well!

Thank you again to Gary for setting this up.
As much as I've enjoyed looking at the photographs up til now, I'm really enjoying reading about people's thought processes behind them too (y)

I've been finding it a bit too much to look at the entries every day, but I'm planning on a catch up session tomorrow night . . . so I'll pop back in then with some more feedback.

Until then, well done to everyone who's kept this going so far.
I'm already starting to plan out what I'm going to do on Saturday.

Kerioak..... All that taken todday boy you have been busy well done you i get nothing like that here... really like it and the story behind it.. hope the back is better soon

Bending the rules slightly today, but We're a friendly bunch so we won't say anything, You get a lot of action in the garden, something I get on the feeders but not the ground yet as I haven't put grass down.

I do hope you get to go to the hospital appointment eventually, The catch 22 sounds like its going to have to be a taxi ride though :(

I really mustn't leave it so long before I look in on the entries again! I hadn't realised how many days had passed since I last looked.
Brilliant effort from everybody so far :clap:

4th January

Phil,
Never mind the whole pro vs. amateur can of worms – it’s really nice to see togs from all parts of the experience spectrum coming together in this challenge. Well done to Gary for making that happen.

(y) I love the fact that this shot marks a milestone in as much as it's a year from your first Premier League game and it’s a very interesting read about where the last year has taken you. Here’s hoping that this year is even more successful for you.

5th January

Ben,
Great to see you enjoying your Christmas present. Light trails are something I’ve never tried, but you seem to have done a good job at mastering them. It’s by going back and re-trying the things that haven’t quite worked for us that we learn the most, so if this is one of your early attempts I can’t wait to see what you come up with when you’ve had some more practice!
p.s. That weird fog glow that you didn’t like? It actually really works for me – I like it a lot (y)

6th January

A very belated Happy Birthday Marcel.
Wise words, but you’ve forgotten to include Marcel - the man who works so hard to keep TP running and make it the place that it is. I know that TP has taken a bit of a kicking in the last few days, but remember that what you (and the rest of the site staff) do for this site means a lot and is appreciated by a lot of people.

7th January

Lovely classic shot Alan . . I was considering a flower shot for my turn on Saturday, but I’ll try to come up with something different so that we have some more variety in here.
(although if I don’t get any inspiration I may have to fall back on it)
The water drops on the petals are a lovely finishing touch and it stands out really well against the black b/g.

8th January

Els, That photo is playing with my head!!!
At first glance I thought they were normal sized chairs and very young trees. If you do go back I’d love to see version 2 with the small chairs in the foreground.

9th January

Terri,
Lovely bright colours and the contrast against Grant being dressed in black is nicely thought out.
I assume that this is the son taking driving lessons at the moment?
Wish him the best of luck from me.

10th January

Dave,
Happy anniversary to you and Mrs Wibbly. Sorry things are a bit crap for you at the moment and I really hope that they pick up soon.
As for the photograph – it’s my favourite so far. Simple, but very effective – composition, colour, angle, DoF all work brilliantly for me.

11th January

Hugh,
As a Welsh girl, I’m embarrassed to say that I know absolutely nothing about rugby but I’ll take your word that this is a “line out”.
It would be interesting to have the link to your 365 to be able to compare the 2 different views, but I reckon wider was definitely the way to go with this.

12th January

Keith,
Glad that you’re back in the game with your new camera.
Great idea for the shot, and you've absolutely nailed that 20's feel with the processing and pose. Of course it also helps that Eve is a very pretty and elegant model.

13th January

Christine,
What good value for money - a whole days togging summed up in one image (y)
Given the limitations of your shooting situation there are some really good captures there - and thank you for putting our minds at rest about the squirrel's head ;)
Hope your back is better soon :hug:

Last edited:
This is really turning into something very good - a very big thanks to Gary for organising.

Christine I do hope your back recovers soon

11th January

Hugh,
As a Welsh girl, I’m embarrassed to say that I know absolutely nothing about rugby but I’ll take your word that this is a “line out”.
It would be interesting to have the link to your 365 to be able to compare the 2 different views, but I reckon wider was definitely the way to go with this.

Here you go Sarah, shot a little differently, but I don't think as good

http://www.hughs365.co.uk/2011/01/line-out-5th-january-2011/

Here you go Sarah, shot a little differently, but I don't think as good

I like that version, but I think you're right - the wider one definitely works better.

Some great stuff aleady, glad I decided to be a part of it and being as I am up tomorrow, just hope I can do something worthwhile. ;)

Just don't try too hard - I'm up straight after you and I don't want anything too difficult to live up to ;) :D

Wow, the early bird does catch the worm!

Yv, this was a problem I faced when doing my 365 last year, I hate my "smile" (more like a smirk) but with time confidence grows - at least you have a new avatar :)

It's a lovely portrait of you though, more real to the previous one you used where you looked up into the sky IMO

Some brilliant entires, well done to you all. I have to say I'm really looking enjoying seeing the posts each day.
...And that's a lovely sp Yvonne!

Ywp Yvonne that is a great picture of your good self.. i may try one myself ..

Again Gary thanks alot for sorting this out for us

sarah i think that is briliant, it wasn't what i expected from you, but then i am not sure what i expected.. if that makes any sence. but i like it.

Yv (boss) where did you take that pic's been looking at it and thinking about that.. i do not know why... but i do love it.. (you've lost wait as well mrs)

dont worry Sarah, I think I have left it fairly easy for you to better :D

That's enough of that nonsense!
I'm another one who hates being on that side of the camera, so a very brave choice for your day. I love the reasoning behind it and I think you've ended up with an amazing SP. I know they aren't easy to get right, but you've absolutely nailed it. Just waiting for the avatar change now.

sarah i think that is briliant, it wasn't what i expected from you, but then i am not sure what i expected.. if that makes any sence. but i like it.

Thanks Terri - and yes it does make perfect sense.
Most of my shots on here tend to be still-life type things and outside of aquarium photography that's where my passion lies.
But now I'm starting to get consistently OK results with fish there'll probably be more of them coming up!

Yv (boss) where did you take that pic's been looking at it and thinking about that.. i do not know why... but i do love it.. (you've lost wait as well mrs)

IN the dining room, and no weight loss, just more experience with off-camera flash to be a little more flattering light wise. Fair bit of processing though, got a bit heavy with the wrinkle smoothing :whistle: :LOL:

That's enough of that nonsense!
I'm another one who hates being on that side of the camera, so a very brave choice for your day. I love the reasoning behind it and I think you've ended up with an amazing SP. I know they aren't easy to get right, but you've absolutely nailed it. Just waiting for the avatar change now.

Thanks Terri - and yes it does make perfect sense.
Most of my shots on here tend to be still-life type things and outside of aquarium photography that's where my passion lies.
But now I'm starting to get consistently OK results with fish there'll probably be more of them coming up!

Sarah, love the aquarium shot, I had fish many years ago when I had film and could never get a good picture of them. Not sure if I could now with a bit more knowledge but yo have certainly got it sussed if that shot is anything to go by. (y)

Sarah,

The aquarium shot is great - really like it ;)

One of the things I'm starting to really like about this, is all of the photos give a small insight into the personalities and other interests of the photographers you wouldn't otherwise get.

Thank you again for organising Gary

Thanks Yv and Hugh.
They're not the easiest of subjects, but I think I've finally got the hang of it.
There's a set of my latest aquarium pics here if you're interested.

Interesting point about the insight into people's other personalities and interests. It's part of this that I'm enjoying too and I suspect that for a lot of people, an interest in photography came out of a desire to document and record another part of their lives.

May I ask any reserves to take a shot as back up for today? Truckers original post explained he/she might not be able to pos it up today and I missed it...

May I ask any reserves to take a shot as back up for today? Truckers original post explained he/she might not be able to pos it up today and I missed it...

I'll nip out now and take a few back up shots in case no one else manages it. IT will just mean slotting someone else into my slot on the 25th if they're needed.

Right calm yourselves people, it's my weekly round-up!

8th - I originally thought it said Rotherham and wasn't convinced those chairs would be standing for very long! When I read the text about the weird perspective all I wanted was to see a pic of them which detracted from the original.

9th - Very "wet seaside arcade" feel.

10th - Really like. I've been meaning to have a go at this style for a while now. Hope things pick up a bit soon.

11th - Interesting statue, they should prob move that stadium out of the way though! What are the other angles like?

12th - Just looks authentic, pose etc all work to my (inexpert) eye.

13th - Can't view it on my phone atm but when I looked the other day I noticed it was cheating! Let you off though.

14th - Nice self portrait, doesn't look like one. I often think there's something in how people pose as well as technical details which give self portraits away but nothing here suggests there wasn't a 2nd person taking the pic. Plus you're braver than me, like hell I'd post a shot of my ugly mug up for comment!

15th - I imagine you've spent a lot of time shooting fish, I know I would! I agree that a lot of people get started in photography to record another hobby. Looks an interesting fish and the eye and orange fin(?) really stand out.

So that's it, we're another 7 shots closer to my turn and the only pattern I've spotted is that most plans fall apart - think I need a plan b, c and d just to be on the safe side. (Need to think of a plan a first though.)

Last edited:
11th - Interesting statue, they should prob move that stadium out of the way though! What are the other angles like?

challenging ;) for a backdrop you either have a rugby stadium, and industrial estate or houses - it'd be very easy to photograph it in a dull way from standing a way off and flatten the perspective of it - but I think this is probably the most interesting way to shoot it

Mike Jackson said:
I'll nip out now and take a few back up shots in case no one else manages it. IT will just mean slotting someone else into my slot on the 25th if they're needed.

Mike, please post an image if you can, I don't think trucker can do it on the same day and I miss read that in there original post :-(

Last edited:
dates noted, calendar reminder set...now just need to get a camera out and think about it a bit

I took a couple last night but had to go to bed early as i fell asleep in front of the PC. Will get it up in a minute.

Another two super shots, are you guys still enjoying the variety?
We have picked up that most planned activities are destroyed by the weather unless we just don't have hardcore members ;-)

are you guys still enjoying the variety?

The eclectic mix of images is really interesting... it's great to see people's take on the world.

I really like Sara's view of the clock, brilliant! :cool:

The eclectic mix of images is really interesting... it's great to see people's take on the world.

I really like Sara's view of the clock, brilliant! :cool:

Thanks Dave, Im glad you like it, I was a bit concerned no one would as I tend to look at things quite differently..... Im really enjoying the variety of work being shown too, its great! (y)

Like I have said, quality is outweighed by content sometimes and to document your day when asked is certainly an exception... In saying that there us nothing wrong with any of the shots posted

Steelo, Having relooked at your image, did you try to bracket this shot? If not it might be a technique you may want to re-consider shooting it with.
For people that are unaware of this technique, it's basically 3 shots - you copose and set up the shot as normal and you set the camera to AEB -2/0/+2, this will take 3 shots one at -2 stops of exposure, one at normal exposeure and one at +2 exposure. Then in Photoshop or Photomatix you combine the shadows/mid tones and highlights into one picture to create a more "perfect" picture.
Jimmy_Lemon use's this technique amongst others to produce his shots (with amazing results), it's certainly worth looking in to when you have bright sky's and a building in shadow.

Apologies if this is teaching you to suck egg's though :p

It was just a single shot. I have heard about bracketing, but was unsure what it meant/how to do it, so thanks for the tip, and I shall give it a go next time I'm out. Being relatively new to slr photography, im slowly picking things up, mainly from this forum, so thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Back